PDA

View Full Version : Dounreay Dome To Go?

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-06, 02:22
Get yer paint brushes oot!

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=906322006

DrSzin
21-Jun-06, 11:12
I have a use for the Dome. Stick it Lorraine Mann's mouth. It must be roughly the right size. :roll:

Seriously, that woman has spouted some dramatic drivel over the years, but her quote in today's Scotsman is extreme even by her standards. The fast breeder brigade could still have the last laugh. Not now, but perhaps in 20 or 30 years when natural uranium may be running short, and before a massive worldwide fusion programme kicks in towards the end of the century.

Sporran
21-Jun-06, 15:56
First they want to demolish Viewfirth, now they want to demolish "the big ball" as well! [disgust]

I agree with Audrey Dakin's sentiments, but not with Lorraine Mann's!

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-06, 16:18
Everything in Caithness is flattened anyway. Even if you thought about putting up a six-foot stab someone from the council would be complaning about blocking a hen's view of the Pentland Firth. Or something. I believe the Dome should stay - it's a historical symbol, a characteristic of the Caithness landscape (good or bad). It stays, baby!

Gogglebox
21-Jun-06, 17:10
First they want to demolish Viewfirth, now they want to demolish "the big ball" as well! [disgust]

I agree with Audrey Dakin's sentiments, but not with Lorraine Mann's!

Hope they leave it in better nick than Viewfirth - -its a boarded up eyesore
perhaps a monument to mismanagement!!

Anyway we wont miss the dome if they build us a nice new nuclear power station to play with!! Bring it on Mr Blair!!

I agree with everything Dr Szin says.

Sooner Lorraine Mann moves to this Utopia she dreams of the better!
Bloomin Pest! ( i tamed that as its before the watershed!)

DrSzin
22-Jun-06, 00:27
I agree with everything Dr Szin says.I like this post. :D

Seriously, I suspect Lorraine Mann is playing silly games. She clearly isn't stupid, so I can only conclude that she likes the media attention (much of it barely-deserved imho). But she's clearly much smarter and is more media-savvy than the archetypical WWF, Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth anti-nuclear dweeb. She does her homework, she knows (some of) her stuff, and she presents her case in a much more effective way than any of those organisations (which isn't saying much), so I'm vaguely impressed by her. But, to be brutally honest, she doesn't have a lot of competition...

As for politics and practicalities, I have no idea whether Dounreay stands a chance of getting a new reactor in the next few years, but I would bet that such a hypothetical beast wouldn't be a fast breeder - the politics are all wrong, and as far as I'm aware, no practical design is available anyway. Also, as Rheghead has pointed out on several occasions, there's also the question of how the power would be transmitted down the line (pun intended). But that's an entirely different topic...

In the meantime, I have an indelible image of Loquacious Lorraine in my head. Think of old-fashioned butchers' shops, and pigs and oranges. Now think of Lorraine in full flow, and of oversized golf-balls.

But Pepsi is right. Let's not let our heritage be flattened; let's get wer' paint brushes oot - we can save that six-figure sum and paint the flatteners into oblivion...

changilass
22-Jun-06, 00:37
We could paint a big smiley face on it, give everyone a wee smile as they are driving past:lol:

Bobinovich
23-Jun-06, 22:23
Isn't it funny? There was no problem transmitting the energy from the hoards of wind turbines we are/were going to have to put up with on our landscape, but as soon as mention of the possibility of putting a new nuclear power station up here, all we get is 'the transmission infrastructure isn't in place'.

Double standards, eh!