zebedy
20-Jun-06, 21:41
Yeah one of the biggest thread names aswell lol

Biffy Clyro!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gKw-Qvi_zig&search=Biffy%20Clyro%20Live

My favourite band in the world!

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Jun-06, 21:51
Played on the same bill as them once. After the show I asked them how long they'd been a Nirvana tribute band for. Guess who got the last, eh?

zebedy
20-Jun-06, 22:58
one cheeky man u are!... There nothin like nirvana... Biffy have there own sound!

Jeid
21-Jun-06, 00:35
They are a bit. Not much, but the front man gets a lot of ideas from Kurt.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-06, 02:00
Nu metal is nu metal no matter what it listens to in its spare time. Sorry chaps, no my cup of mouthwash. They're doin' well for themselves though.

zebedy
21-Jun-06, 08:21
hence the thred name... * in my eyes* :)

There so tight and powerful for only three piece!

and to think they got refused in Skins!

pffft :confused

Naefearjustbeer
21-Jun-06, 10:28

Most times someone decent plays in Skins the dance floor is empty until the Dj puts on the proclaimers or some other crap after the band is done. Must be hard to play to such a crowd!

Jeid
21-Jun-06, 10:50

They did? Where do you get your info from young man? I don't believe they even asked to play in Skins.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-06, 16:22

To be honest - and, as good and reputable as Biffy are - it wouldn't make commercial or financial sense to book them into Skins. No-one knows them, they play metal for goodness sake, and they don't play cover versions. Unless you consider a cover of something by Chatoic Discord to be a track to fill those dirty disco floors.

zebedy
21-Jun-06, 18:04
i'm shure he wud have folk from all over come to see biffy!..

Skins is awesome to play!

played there twice with Cyanide was awesome!

I beieve the danceing to only the DJ part is wrong.. I played with Howlin Gaels there... I can PM u a video of there crowd!

Naefearjustbeer
21-Jun-06, 23:36
Was that the sunday benefit gig? If so yes it was busy I was there. However the normal thursday friday saturday crowds are usually pretty door for live bands especially ones that dont do loads of covers. why not submit the video to google videos or something it would be good to see.

Jeid
21-Jun-06, 23:54

But they didn't ask to play!! Its just a rumour!

Jeid
21-Jun-06, 23:55
they play metal for goodness sake

You yanking my chain? Metal? What?

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jun-06, 03:56
When was the last time a metal band played the former Thurso Picture House? Echo & The Bunnymen played there when it was Flicks (the Features part) in 1992. I think this was them at their most metal. Quality gig that. Goodbye Mr. Mackenzie played there, too. They're now known as Isa & The Filthy Tongues.

goggs1987
22-Jun-06, 08:48
have to agree with jeid .... metal??! biffy??! lol

might go see them this year at the belladrum festival.... certainly an unique rock band, massive (in the underground!), with a lot of respect.

theboss
22-Jun-06, 09:03
That's what they thought when Snow Patrol played Thurso, ok, so they didn't have the commercial status they do now, but neither do Biffy. When Teenage Fanclub played Wick the crowd was poor.

Even Embrace are struggling to sell out a date in Orkney and that's with support from a recent UK number 1. For some reason, bigger names just don't work up here and that's why we don't get them and probably never will.

Naefearjustbeer
22-Jun-06, 12:30
When was the last time a metal band played the former Thurso Picture House? Echo & The Bunnymen played there when it was Flicks (the Features part) in 1992. I think this was them at their most metal. Quality gig that. Goodbye Mr. Mackenzie played there, too. They're now known as Isa & The Filthy Tongues.

Did Gun play? not sure how metal they would be? more rock I supose. I heard Ten Benson play they were good. Hardly a big named band though

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jun-06, 17:32
Gun? Aye, I think so. I asked Dante Gizzi - Gun's bass player - about this when I caught El Presidente at the Hard Rock recently. Soon as I mentioned the word Thurso he broke out into a smile. His reason for chortling was hard to fathom, but I don't think he thought of it too fondly.
Anyway, the reason 'big' bands don't come to Caithness is because none of them are aware of any promoters - or, more to the point - of any decent venues in the area. Inverness is firmly on the map now as it were, and even Fusion, bless 'em', in Orkney pull in a decent commercial band on occasion. Thurso has a great venues in Skinandis and The Redwood. The owners should be getting in touch with one of the four main promoters in Scotland (DF Concerts, CPL, Regular, PCL) and takin' care of business. If they are willing, then so should those behind said venues in Thurso. Thurso doesn't know how to promote itself. Until it does, bands will never go there. Really. Trust me.

Naefearjustbeer
22-Jun-06, 20:01
Why would Brian Cardosi risk taking big bands up when he can make more money at the weekend with a disco. I have no idea how much a "good" band would cost but I dont think it would be an earner for him. People already complain at the price to get in the place for a disco and then they will complain even more to pay an extra £2 on top of his normal to see a band that they wont even pay any heed too.
I usuallly only go to the place if it is a band that is on. I enjoy live music. I have no sense of rythm and I am tone deaf so most bands sound pretty good to me. If I think a band sounds crap, god help them they must be bad :eek: .
I remember goint to see a Darkness tribute band one night. I thought they were pretty good. The only guys that were up on the dance floor were the guys from estrella if I remeber correctly. They were giving it hot licks and the singer tried his hardest to get other people up with no joy. Disco comes on at the end and the dancefloor fills up!! The band leave thinking what a hole this place is and Brian sees that the punters prefer the disco.

Jeid
22-Jun-06, 22:12
The band said it was probably the worst gig that they ever played.

Singer was a bit up himself though to be honest.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jun-06, 09:32
I'm talking about bands the size of say Embrace, Kasabian or The Charlatans -Skinandis would be an ideal-sized venue. They wouldn't have to play on a Friday or Saturday night.

Even The Redwood could accomodate smaller touring acts like Aberfeldy, El Presidente, etc.

moncur
23-Jun-06, 10:27
I went to see el presidente in Edinburgh a few months ago. They were playin in a nightclub a 3rd of the size of skins but it was packed! I wouldn't normally go see a band like that as i'm into harder rock but I was very impressed with them and definetly goin to see them at T in the Park in a few weeks.

I think that if they came up to Thurso they would pull in a good crowd because it is a good mix of pop music with some rocking guitar licks.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jun-06, 11:27
You were at Cabaret Voltaire that night, then, too, eh?

moncur
23-Jun-06, 11:49
Where? No it was the Liquid Rooms

Naefearjustbeer
24-Jun-06, 20:32
The band said it was probably the worst gig that they ever played.

Singer was a bit up himself though to be honest.

Just like the real darkness then!

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Jun-06, 20:46
Where? No it was the Liquid Rooms

Aye, seen them there, too. Was upstairs talking to Dante before he went on, where I promised I would shout "Word Up" if he didn't put on a good show. He made it through. Just.