PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy TV Adverts

Anfield
18-Jun-10, 23:54
One of my pet hates are adverts which make claims about the product which are endorsed by a small sample of people.

Tonight, before watching England bore us to death, there was an advert for Gillettes new 5 (!) blade razor.
At the end of the advert there was a caption (small print at bottom right hand side of page) which stated that "68 out of 85 people" thought that this was a better razor etc.
68 out of 85 for a global brand like Gillette?
If you look at Gillette web site (here) (http://www.gillette.com/language/index.shtml) you will soon see that they have more than 85 offices in the World.

Have you seen any ads which are endorsed by a smaller sample than Gillette

Nacho
19-Jun-10, 00:30
Kitekats 8 out of 10 cats preferred it slogan always amused me.

i'm assuming they researched more than 10 cats, but many questions remain ...

how hungry were the cats ?
they preferred it to what ?

so many questions left unanswered....

small print in adverts always makes me laugh, like dolmio's authentic italian recipe (made in holland)

trix
19-Jun-10, 01:34
if i mind richt, there wis a mascara advert which said that their product made eyelashes longer....they forgot til add 'e word "appear".....an' it cost them thousands o' pounds :eek:

Metalattakk
19-Jun-10, 01:39
I'm baffled.

What manner of fool pays any attention to TV adverts?

trix
19-Jun-10, 01:43
iv no hed ma telly on for aboot 6 months....i watch ivrythin on ma laptop. im thinkin o' gien up ma telly licence.

Nacho
19-Jun-10, 02:01
good luck with that....

unless you gouge yer eyes out an register yersel blin they'll still charge you yer licence

hey ! i'm a speakin de lingo !!

trix
19-Jun-10, 02:11
i'm a speakin de lingo !!

wid o' rep't ye for 'at (guid effort) boot i hev til spread em first ;)

i actually got a new telly aday, ma pal got a new 42" so i got his widescreen :roll:

onecalledk
19-Jun-10, 12:39
the adverts for mascara that state at the bottom that false eye lashes were used to create the look. Therefore that would mean that even if you bought said mascara you would STILL not be able to get the look they were advertising. Same with shampoo , look at small print, and it says hair extensions were used lol .....

as to the sample of people used, would it not have been easier to use 100 people ? then if 30 people like it then thats 30% or is that too easy ....

re the cat food, how do they know the cats liked it? cats dont talk do they ? (retorical questions there .....;)\)......

All adverts are by definition dodgy methinks .... gillette ones are hysterical.... do men really buy razor blades cos some golfing guy is advertising them?

Moisturiser for men - now theres one, how many of you guys on the org will put your hands up to using this product ? :lol:

K

Bazeye
19-Jun-10, 13:51
re the cat food, how do they know the cats liked it? cats dont talk do they ? (retorical questions there .....;)\)......

The cats that can talk prefer I Ams anyway.

gillsbay
19-Jun-10, 14:43
good luck with that....

unless you gouge yer eyes out an register yersel blin they'll still charge you yer licence

They still charge half price even if you are blind!

hardcore superstar
19-Jun-10, 16:17
good luck with that....

I gave up my tv licence about 6 months ago as I only use the catch-up services on the computer. It was very easy to do.

Stargazer
19-Jun-10, 16:42
I'm baffled.

What manner of fool pays any attention to TV adverts?

What? The adverts are the best bits.:lol:

ducati
19-Jun-10, 18:08
I gave up my tv licence about 6 months ago as I only use the catch-up services on the computer. It was very easy to do.

Thats really cool! However, I am very surprised that loophole exists, have you checked it out? I would think the wording would be something like however transmitted or received? :eek:

brandy
19-Jun-10, 18:16
hmmm so if you use your pc as a telly do you have to have a telly licence?
ohhh and been noticing the hand wash advert its everywhere now! how stupid.. the dispenser has germs.. if you discount touching the tap after wards to turn on and off the water.. you are still going to be washing your hands after you press the dispenser!

trix
19-Jun-10, 19:22

so much respect for ye, min :cool:

honey
19-Jun-10, 19:28
the adverts for mascara that state at the bottom that false eye lashes were used to create the look. Therefore that would mean that even if you bought said mascara you would STILL not be able to get the look they were advertising. Same with shampoo , look at small print, and it says hair extensions were used lol .....

that gets my goat too... and the spot cream ads that have the before pics of a girl with loads of spots and a freshly scrubbed face, but the after pic shows her with hardly any spots, and make-up covering the ones she does have!!

hmm, can you tell i have issues with my eyelashes, hair and spots?? Never mind, im sure 1 out of 100000000000000 men like me just the way i am.. hes called my hubby! :lol:

hardcore superstar
20-Jun-10, 22:01
Thats really cool! However, I am very surprised that loophole exists, have you checked it out? I would think the wording would be something like however transmitted or received? :eek:

Before I made the decision to get rid of my licence, I fully researched the the rules + regs.

This is taken directly from the tv licencing website:-

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."

I do not watch/record tv as it's being broadcast therefore, do not require a licence.

cazmanian_minx
21-Jun-10, 08:00

K

The one with Lily Cole in? That one also says that the lashes have been enhanced digitally in post production!!!

donnick
21-Jun-10, 09:05
I do agree that there are loads of adverts that are totally crap but sometimes they are are funny ones [lol]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xknub_pILt8
this makes me laugh as i think their being rude :)

ducati
21-Jun-10, 11:51
Before I made the decision to get rid of my licence, I fully researched the the rules + regs.

This is taken directly from the tv licencing website:-

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."

I do not watch/record tv as it's being broadcast therefore, do not require a licence.

Hmm good luck proving that if challenged :eek:

hardcore superstar
21-Jun-10, 12:30

Thankyou, but I won't need luck. As part of the cancellation process you have to declare why you don't need a licence. One of the reasons you can select is the fact that you only use catch-up services. Therefore, they are already fully aware of why I don't need a licence, so your concern is unwarranted.

ducati
21-Jun-10, 13:23
Thankyou, but I won't need luck. As part of the cancellation process you have to declare why you don't need a licence. One of the reasons you can select is the fact that you only use catch-up services. Therefore, they are already fully aware of why I don't need a licence, so your concern is unwarranted.

Good! I may have a go at it myself then. :lol:

cazmanian_minx
21-Jun-10, 13:23

No, he's absolutely right, I've got loads of friends who've dumped their TV licences in favour of iPlayer and DVDs. It's perfectly legal, though it often takes three or four letters to the licensing people to get them to stop sending threatening reminder letters.

hardcore superstar
21-Jun-10, 15:02
No, he's absolutely right, I've got loads of friends who've dumped their TV licences in favour of iPlayer and DVDs. It's perfectly legal, though it often takes three or four letters to the licensing people to get them to stop sending threatening reminder letters.

Thanks for backing me up, but I just want to point out that HE is actually a SHE.

cazmanian_minx
21-Jun-10, 17:52
Thanks for backing me up, but I just want to point out that HE is actually a SHE.

Ooooooops, sorry :o

Tony
21-Jun-10, 23:08
Just to clarify. Taken from the tv licensing website.

As new technology makes it possible to watch TV on more devices than ever you need to make sure that you remain properly licensed.
If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV you must, by law, be covered by a TV Licence, no matter what device you're using.
Computers and laptops

Many TV channels are now available to watch over the internet. If you’re watching programmes on a computer or laptop as they're being shown on TV, then you need a TV Licence. However, you don’t need to be covered by a licence if you’re only using ‘on-demand’ services to watch programmes after they have been shown on TV. So, you need a licence to watch any channel live online, but you wouldn’t need one to use BBC iPlayer to catch up on an episode of a programme you missed, for example.

Mobile phones

Just as with any other device, if you’re watching programmes as they’re being shown on TV on a phone or any other mobile device, you need to be covered by a licence. If you're covered by a valid licence at the address where you live, you'll be licensed to use any device powered solely by its own internal batteries outside the home too.

Sky+, games consoles and digital TV recorders

If you use Sky+, Playstation or any other games console or a digital TV recorder to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. This is also the case if you use a DVD/VHS recorder.
If you only use your digital box to produce sounds (i.e. you don't use it to display programmes), then you don't need a TV Licence.