PDA

View Full Version : The letter 'g'

©Amethyst
17-Jun-10, 22:28
Argh... I've had to resort to copy/paste in order to use the letter g! Only just noticed that this one letter on my keyboard isn't working. Never realised how much it was used until now! lol.

Have taken the key off, had a poke around, made sure there's no dust... but still no luck. Any ideas?? The keyboard's a laptop keyboard so I don't want to thump it too hard but even tried giving it a gentle thud!

EDDIE
18-Jun-10, 15:59
can u get @ and " on your keyboard? there is settings in your control panel for regional and keyboard settings it should be set to uk english not us english it does matter?

©Amethyst
18-Jun-10, 20:21
My regional settings are fine... UK English. Think I'll try updating the driver for my keyboard... fingers crossed it doesn't make things worse!

Phill
18-Jun-10, 23:25
If it does be a laptop the keyboards are often removable or at least lift up to allow access to install memory chips n stuff.
Make sure the ribbon connectors are set in fully to the connectors.

It does sounds like a dodgy connection.

dx100uk
18-Jun-10, 23:29
sounds like a new keyboard sadly or temp use an external usb one.
i very much doubt it will be the ribbons as they are matrixed, if it were, more than 1 key would be affected.

look on ebay.
replacement lappy keyboards are £15-£25

dx

EDDIE
19-Jun-10, 09:02
My regional settings are fine... UK English. Think I'll try updating the driver for my keyboard... fingers crossed it doesn't make things worse!

In the regional settings is a tab for the keyboard settings as well which has to be uk english ?

dx100uk
20-Jun-10, 02:18
In the regional settings is a tab for the keyboard settings as well which has to be uk english ?

huh
so if your keyboard is not set to the uk, you dont get the letter g????

what language is that then.........

nothing to do with the issue.

dx

EDDIE
20-Jun-10, 12:32
huh
so if your keyboard is not set to the uk, you dont get the letter g????

what language is that then.........

nothing to do with the issue.

dx

If u set your keyboard and regional settings to us english when you press @ it turns to " thats why i said it.Its better to try thinks like that first than diving in replacing keyboard when it might not be that.
I would have thought keyboards would be prity reliable unless you spilled something on them or your hard on the keys i always use a air can to blow out the dust and dirt below the keys.
There can only be 2 faults with the laptop either a faulty keyboard or corrupt file in the operating system so it makes sense to try and rule out any software problems first?

Colin Manson
20-Jun-10, 13:04
Have to agree with dx100uk but you might be able to clean the keyboard but sometimes it involves removing the keyboard and cleaning the circuitry underneath. Depends on how bad the spill/stain is.

dx100uk
20-Jun-10, 20:27
you wont get into the matrix by removing it anyhow

best idea

as a long shot is to give it some
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=28994&j=true

or some meths if you've got it.
cant harm any thing

what is the lappy please re:
http://www.laptopkey.com/installation_guides.php

dx

©Amethyst
30-Jun-10, 15:58
Sorry it's taken a while to get back to this... I fully intend to take the keyboard off and have a good look at it. There was no spill, which is a little frustrating for me as that would have privided me with an explanation as to why this key doesn't work. I've been putting it off though as I don't have a screwdriver to fit the laptop... and I hate B&Q. If I can't find the issue I think I'll be looking at buying a new keyboard.

Anyone know where I'll be able to buy a keyboard for a Compaq Presario CQ60? Ebay didn't show any clues when I checked about a week ago.

dx100uk
30-Jun-10, 16:19
http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-NEW-Compaq-Presario-CQ60-Keyboard-496771-001-/170467828680

there are none from the uk ebay.
but send these guys a msg to see what the shipping will be to the UK.

dx

©Amethyst
01-Jul-10, 13:14
dx100uk, thank you!!

Definately looks like a good lead.