PDA

View Full Version : young people

chef4
17-Jun-10, 21:49
just on here to rant on about young people im 19 and just the other day i was walking home back from my martial ats class and got asked if had any vodka and any fags by four young people they could have only been about 12 is that what the world has come to when u get asked for vodka and fags by some 12 year olds its utter madness they should be out playing football or some thing or inside where the perents can keep an eye on them or maybe thats were the problem lays.

richardson.laura
17-Jun-10, 21:58
yeah ive been there...its rotten, and then when you tell them no you get a load of abuse?!

Blarney
17-Jun-10, 22:05
just on here to rant on about young people im 19 and just the other day i was walking home back from my martial ats class and got asked if had any vodka and any fags by four young people they could have only been about 12 is that what the world has come to when u get asked for vodka and fags by some 12 year olds its utter madness they should be out playing football or some thing or inside where the perents can keep an eye on them or maybe thats were the problem lays.

Think you could be right there Chef4. The parents were most likely glad to get them out from under their feet while they had a wee drink and a smoke and probably told them to go and get their own and stop mooching theirs:roll:

Phill
17-Jun-10, 22:14
They could have been trainee healthcare workers concerned about your lifestyle choices and drinking habits.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Jun-10, 22:21
They could have been trainee healthcare workers concerned about your lifestyle choices and drinking habits.

haha made me laugh.... thankfully haven't been approached by numpties...but eh what's the cut off for young people??

ŠAmethyst
17-Jun-10, 22:22
I get this, too... even when I'm on way way to/from work (wearing a uniform for one of the emergency services). It's something that I wouldn't expect in Caithness, but here in Inverness it happens all too often.

scorrie
17-Jun-10, 22:23

We live in an age where parents give their kids far too much, far too young. No wonder they are bored and looking for alternative entertainment, of an adult nature, when we are all too keen to let them have the things we had to wait to be old enough to get for ourselves.

There are bairns practically coming out of the womb already wearing tattoos and earrings and little Johnnie is playing a certificate 18 game on his PS3, which is awash with killings, swearing and scantily clad prostitutes, while he is still in primary 3 struggling with the 8 times table and words of longer than four letters. Whatever happened to Childhood?

Tubthumper
17-Jun-10, 22:26
You shouldn't paint all young people with the same brush. Most of us are sober and sensible.
And those of us who aren't are the product of old people who should know better.

ShelleyCowie
17-Jun-10, 22:33
I get a good few kids asking me the same outside the shop i live near. I just keep on walking, cant be bothered with a mouthfull of abuse when i have e bairn with me or my OH's kids. They dont need to hear the potty mouths of them kids!

There is plenty for 12 year olds to do! Army/Sea/Air cadets, football training and Athletics just to name a few! Depends on the kids interest i suppose! I was in so many clubs my poor mum couldnt keep up with the uniforms haha!

I wonder if their parents do know what they are trying to do? I certainly would love to know if my own child was trying to get alcohol at that age! Obviously a long time away....but still!

ShelleyCowie
17-Jun-10, 22:34
You shouldn't paint all young people with the same brush. Most of us are sober and sensible.
And those of us who aren't are the product of old people who should know better.

But i only have 1 brush!!! :~( jokin!

There are some very level headed and sensible kids/teens out there that i know of! Unfortunately there are some that are not the same.

I should go out and gather them all up.....maybe they just need a hug :D

horseman
17-Jun-10, 23:37
But i only have 1 brush!!! :~( jokin!

There are some very level headed and sensible kids/teens out there that i know of! Unfortunately there are some that are not the same.

I should go out and gather them all up.....maybe they just need a hug :D

Nice one Shelly,best bit of upfront yet! Methinks you will go far:)

bop
18-Jun-10, 05:55
shelly....its ok sayin u that if u live 'in the town' n u have army/sea/air cadets on ur doorstep, i stay outa town n have 2 drive my son in to town 2go 2 cadets n hang around for at least 2 n half hours b4 i can pick him up n take him him home aftawards!!! as for football....ther isnt even a caoch who can stick at the job for more than 1 season.. so who in the rite mind can expect the kids too???

ducati
18-Jun-10, 06:20

Yes, I myself like to collect stamps and play with my train set. I have lots of hobbys.

The Drunken Duck
18-Jun-10, 07:43

Should have just said "Yes, thanks for asking" and walked on.

Its what I do .. :D

Phill
18-Jun-10, 08:57
Yes, I myself like to collect stamps and play with my train set. I have lots of hobbys.

I rather enjoy Lego, however I've found it does still cause conflict with yoofs.
I have to do battle with my little boy over some of the bits.

upolian
18-Jun-10, 09:00
Not sure where the martial arts comes into being stopped by children:lol:

peedie
18-Jun-10, 09:35
I rather enjoy Lego, however I've found it does still cause conflict with yoofs.

i bet your a scalextric hogger too..... :lol:

EDDIE
18-Jun-10, 09:44
shelly....its ok sayin u that if u live 'in the town' n u have army/sea/air cadets on ur doorstep, i stay outa town n have 2 drive my son in to town 2go 2 cadets n hang around for at least 2 n half hours b4 i can pick him up n take him him home aftawards!!! as for football....ther isnt even a caoch who can stick at the job for more than 1 season.. so who in the rite mind can expect the kids too???

Is that not just one of the joys in life when you decide to have kids and want to live out of town?

mummieslilgirl
18-Jun-10, 09:59
I would hate to be growing up these days all innocence seems to have disappeared at a very young age and part of it is because we give our kids everything we didn't have ourselves and more. I have teen myself and he seems to think that drinking is more "fun" although they get the hangovers etc that go with it all amazes me. (he is over 16 and has moved out but been doing it pre16 as well)
It actually amazes me how many parents are willing to buy their own and other peoples children alcohol and allow them to consume it in their homes as well I would NEVER but trying to have it stopped is impossible and that is inc getting the police involved coz they have to be caught redhanded if you like - we need to get the discipline back into society in order to get some at least of the respect back that the rest of us were brought up with although I agree not all teens are the same it seems to be a growing culture and I don't believe in the vigilante approach which also seems to be growing

John Little
18-Jun-10, 10:33
Send for Riggerboy! He'll sort 'em oot!

onecalledk
18-Jun-10, 10:41
We live in an age where parents give their kids far too much, far too young. No wonder they are bored and looking for alternative entertainment, of an adult nature, when we are all too keen to let them have the things we had to wait to be old enough to get for ourselves.

There are bairns practically coming out of the womb already wearing tattoos and earrings and little Johnnie is playing a certificate 18 game on his PS3, which is awash with killings, swearing and scantily clad prostitutes, while he is still in primary 3 struggling with the 8 times table and words of longer than four letters. Whatever happened to Childhood?

Whilst I would agree with most of your post I would not lay the blame at the feet of the parents only. Society creates these children. If we talk about innocence and our own childhood there was NO internet, there were NO shops pushing adult clothing onto our kids, there was NO fast food chains (or very little) trying to fill our kids with rubbish, there was NO satellite tv pushing advertising onto our kids.

The comparison of one childhood then cannot be made with todays kids. There is more information being bombarded at us then ever before. I agree that the parents have a huge role to play in instilling respect and manners into their offspring but look at it also from the childs point of view. Children are little sponges. Society tends to gloss over this. Children are aware of adult things that we at their age were not, this is no fault of their own, newspapers like to go into huge detail about crimes of ALL natures, its on the news, the net etc ......

Society needs to stop and have a long hard look at the messages it is sending out. When we walk into a clothing shop (naming no names) and see high heel shoes for a 3 year old and t shirt with provocative sloggans then how can we expect our children to remain innocent ?

Children of 12 should NOT be smoking and drinking but they are so what is society going to do to help them? Blaming the parents , shrugging the shoulders and demonising them is not helping anyone .....

K

ShelleyCowie
18-Jun-10, 10:43

Thats true, its a pain in the rear end for things like that if you live out of town! Is there no buses where you live?

Oh my gosh if you love lego then come to my house! Im thinking i will have to move out soon because the lego has taken over my house!!! My OH has literally thousands of pieces of it and i have at least 50 lego models in my house! [disgust] I would bin the lot personally lol.

EDDIE
18-Jun-10, 10:52
The worst with being young is you just dont relise half the time whats right and whats wrong.
Its a shame really because "some not all " teenagers thinks its cool to get drunk but its not its actually quite stupid thing to do because it just proves that they dont no how to have fun when there sober and they feel they need to get drunk to have fun which is sad when you think about it.
I really admire not just teenagers but anyone that can go out for a night out and have fun without drinking alcohol it really is a good character of person that can do that.

Invisible
18-Jun-10, 10:59
It could be a police sting, send the wee cheils out for fags and booze and tag any who get thems any or get them a goldfish

Tubthumper
18-Jun-10, 12:57
Wait a minute - are posters genuinely deluding themselves into thinking that wretched teenagers getting drunk and smoking fags from the age of 12 upwards is a new phenomenon??

Puh LEASE!

Stefan
18-Jun-10, 13:44
When I was twelve I had so many hobbies I hardly had time for school. I don't think I was ever bored all my life.

It may be society who bombards things at kids but it's the parents who allow it. Our kids don't really watch TV, go into shops with adult clothing for toddlers or live on fast food. Good home cooked meals from scratch, outdoor activities in balance with xbox time and parents who lead as a good example.

Last I've heard is that TALKING to your children apparently helps them understand right from wrong. If you let TV, xbox, school and peers bring up your kids then don't be surprised if they turn out to be something you or your neighbours don't like.

horseman
18-Jun-10, 13:50
Gotta' hit you with a big plus there fella! Well said.

scorrie
18-Jun-10, 13:58
Send for Riggerboy! He'll sort 'em oot!

I heard he was "hung over" himself ;)

onecalledk
18-Jun-10, 14:50
When I was twelve I had so many hobbies I hardly had time for school. I don't think I was ever bored all my life.

It may be society who bombards things at kids but it's the parents who allow it. Our kids don't really watch TV, go into shops with adult clothing for toddlers or live on fast food. Good home cooked meals from scratch, outdoor activities in balance with xbox time and parents who lead as a good example.

Last I've heard is that TALKING to your children apparently helps them understand right from wrong. If you let TV, xbox, school and peers bring up your kids then don't be surprised if they turn out to be something you or your neighbours don't like.

you miss my point, I agree that if you let the tv bring up your kids then you will be heading for trouble. I take it you dont shop in tesco then when you say you dont go into shops with adult clothing for kids?

the MESSAGES that clothing, food, adverts, tv, papers etc throw at society are doing the damage. If it wasnt we wouldnt have 7 yr old girls starving themselves cos they think they are fat !

The power of the written word is huge, unless you live in a hut in the middle of nowhere with no electricty and no connection to the outside world then you are as much at risk from the advertising as the next parent........

Communication is VITAL in protecting and nurturing our children I totally agree. However once again this is being eroded by society. How many families sit down round a table to an evening meal and LISTEN to what their children are doing and saying during their day? thats just an example .......

Perhaps we should all look at how we can help those parents who are struggling, who have out of control kids BEFORE they are out of control teenagers and out of control adults? There are numerous avenues for parents to fall down with their children. Families break up etc ......

For one part of society to tut, roll their eyes and look away will not solve a problem that will continue through the generations until something is done.....

K

ShelleyCowie
18-Jun-10, 15:07
look....why dont we just start them early on the xbox's and see what happens eh! Mine seems fine so far....learnin a skill i dare say!

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8803/1000074f.jpg