PDA

View Full Version : vacumn cleaner advice

Lingland
17-Jun-10, 20:04
Needing a new vacumn cleaner but which to buy Any tips advice would be greatfully received. Thnx

annthracks
17-Jun-10, 20:10
Needing a new vacumn cleaner but which to buy Any tips advice would be greatfully received. Thnx

We've got a VAX (something) Ultra, cylinder and it's much quieter than the last few Dyson uprights we've owned. It's got a variable speed controller so you can adjust the suction as required, as well as having a sliding gate on the tube for finer control. It's bagless, HEPA filter, light and easy to pull around, the cord winds up into the machine at the touch of a button... off to google...

glaikit
17-Jun-10, 20:14
I've got a Dyson, which will suck the sock off your foot (could be useful for something) but I've heard Miele, or is it Meile vacuums are really good. I've quite brutal with my vacuum so I like the Dyson since it can take a fair bit of abuse: banging off skirting boards etc but it is heavy if you've got back problems or owt like that.

poppett
17-Jun-10, 21:34
I have used every variety of vacuum cleaner known to man over the years, and can not see past Panasonic upright with edge to edge cleaning and on board tools. It used bags, but no messy cleaning out like the bagless ones entail, has two washable filters and is absolutely brilliant. Alacam in Thurso have them in stock for about £70.

Anfield
17-Jun-10, 21:36
Get A Henry and save yourself £200+

futurelegends
17-Jun-10, 22:45
My Mother in Law has a Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner and it went Kaput.

We Phoned Dyson (the service Number is on the Machine) and they sent an engineer round within 24 hours, he arrived complete with a bit of carpet, serviced the cleaner in top of it, replacing the Motor, Belt, Beater Brushes, the cable and filter (even after the call centre said the filter wasn't covered in the service), he put it all together and cleaned his bit of carpet before handing the unit back Mum in Law.

The Dyson (Which is 9 years old) is now fully guaranteed for 12 months - the Cost, £69 all inclusive. She saved about £150 on a new machine, she was delighted.

changilass
17-Jun-10, 22:56
If you have pets then the Mielle Cat & Dog is a must and its bliddy great - well worth the money.

Anfield
17-Jun-10, 23:09
If you have pets then the Mielle Cat & Dog is a must and its bliddy great - well worth the money.

We have 3 dogs (Collies) and 2 cats and used to own a Kirby and we could see no difference between a £80 Henry and a £500 Kirby

Forget all the hype about Hyper this and Hyper that, a Henry will do the job for less than £100

ShelleyCowie
17-Jun-10, 23:11
HENRY! I <3 my henry! He smiles at you all the time, follows you wherever you need to go. He is AWSOME!!!!!!!!! Ok so im a bit mad about my henry but we have a strong bond. :lol:

Excellent for picking up pet hairs, he doesnt spit anything back out. Iv actually even hoovered up a sock with him. Yes.....a sock never to be seen again!

Get a henry and you wont regret it :Razz

reddevil
17-Jun-10, 23:18
i have had my dyson cylinder for 12 years it just would,nt start one day i phoned dyson,they picked it up from my door the next day fixed whatever was wrong and i got new hose and plug they brought it back 2 days later to my door all for £69.00 cant beat that service fantastic,saved a bundle on a new vac,i would recommend a dyson cylinder 100%.

shazzy
17-Jun-10, 23:28
had a Henry for ages,picks up dogs hairs brilliant and doesnt mind being banged about or a dog attacking it!!

Tubthumper
17-Jun-10, 23:42
You have to look at the technical side of selecting a machine, it's not that easy. For example, the degree of 'sook' (as we in the trade call it) can be dependent on many things, for instance your bag, the amount of dust, pubes and stuff that needs sooked, the amps that your machine delivers to provide enough sook, the volume of flakey bits your husband leaves behind, the type of hair (the 'vollicules') on your dog etc.
Also never forget that although a cyclone has more sook, it costs more money and needs more volts, also them Dyson ball things are a sod to stand up in the glory-hole.
So you see it's not that simple. I just use a brush.

Lingland
18-Jun-10, 17:07
:grin:Thnx to everyone for advice I have a dyson that is dying and I like the idea of getting it overhauled for around £70 its decision time but that can be difficult for me. :confused

scorrie
18-Jun-10, 17:24
Also never forget that although a cyclone has more sook, i

Not the case. Check these two hoovers out

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/420654/DYSON-DC19COMET?cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_-Cylinder_Cleaners-_-position

Dyson hoover has 280 watts of suction power and costs £200

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/640778/SAMSUNG-VCC4341S4B-XEU

Weighing in at a mere £50 this Samsung has 360 watts of suction power.

I have tried Dyson and it is overpriced for the performance you get. Henry is a good all rounder but for £50 I'd have the Samsung over a refurbished Die-soon at £70 any day of the week!!

2boyz1girl
19-Jun-10, 10:13

I agree. I have had absolutely no luck with hoovers over the years. When my last Dyson blew up my husband of all people said why not get a Henry. They don't have much that can go wrong with them. Plus they are not expensive and the suck on them is fantastic. I will never get an upright again. It's Henry all the way. I would luv a Hetty cos she's pink but don't think my Henry has any chance of breaking down in the future.:)

Lingland
19-Jun-10, 12:27
Thank you now Im thinking maybe Henry or the Samsung sounds good too. Better trying something different and at that price you cant really go wrong methinks Dyson will be recycled but it may take some time. I will post to let you all know when Ive done it.

Liz
19-Jun-10, 12:37

I agree!:D I have tried quite a few hoovers until I got a Henry and love it(him) so much I would never get another kind.

It is much quieter than others and picks up really well. I have two cats and a dog so lots of pet hair which it copes with really well and it cleans right up to the edge. Nice and easy to manoeuvre as well.

Lavenderblue2
19-Jun-10, 15:01
I have two vacuum cleaners, one is a Nilfisk pull along - I have had this vacuum cleaner for years and years, it is great, I can't fault it even after all this time.
My other one is an Oreck upright, which I bought because it is lightweight - old age doesn't come alone... The Oreck is also a super cleaner, it lifts the carpet pile up like new. Both of these vacuums have disposable paper bag's but in both cases they last for months. Oreck also give you a small cylinder cleaner along with the upright - great for the car.

cullpacket
19-Jun-10, 17:47
Must say the cat & dog is 10/10 and very quiet might be expensive but will last you 10 years

glaikit
19-Jun-10, 18:09
Don't buy Hoover or Electrolux. Both rubbish