PDA

View Full Version : South Road Repairs ( Half Hearted Attempt )

octane
17-Jun-10, 14:30
Is it me or is the road repair on the south road going to be a half hearted job, they do a bit, miss a bit then restart again and even missing potholes out along the way. Surely it would be more cost effective just to do the whole road one side at a time rather than a strip of tarmac at intervals.

The existing road that they are not bothering to resurface in between is well beyond its lifespan and will just open up and put us back into the shabby state that we have had to suffer from in the first place.

Not the contractors fault I suppose and someone in the council seems to be a bit incompetent at there job and trying to cut corners and make out to there hierarchy "look at me......ive just saved "x" amount on the budget, am I special or what" in order to kiss/kiss, suck/suck and think there a viable asset to there employee.

But in reality we all know that cutting corners to save a few quid ends up biting u on the buttocks because your gonna have to fork out again for all that machinery/manpower and resources to come back and fix it all again soon.

What a clever piece of business yet again......... you can have cv/qualications span the length of this country but you never learned the basic fundamentals of life and even still I'll have to tell ya

"Common Sense"

Noticed the camps car park had a lovely coating of new tarmac....eh!!!! Why not spend the money on the main infastructre first.....

Strange auld world.

Anyhow this all derived from sitting waiting in the queue on the most outdated and failed traffic control system Ive seen for ages :lol:

Apart from that im as happy as a pig

http://toniclaro.to.funpic.de/unter_spass/funpics/funpics/happy_pig.jpg

cherokee
17-Jun-10, 16:00
Must agree with you there Octane - absolute disgrace for (one!) of the main roads coming into Wick - TOTAL shambles !!! [evil]

I was driving down Station Road earlier today to go onto Bridge Street and there was a car, very obviously last in line from the "works" traffic lights away up at West Banks Avenue turn off, sitting almost right on the roundabout !!!! [evil]

Just really glad I was heading the other way !

Sorry! just remembered the other day sitting in that very same queue just across from the turn off to West Banks - for all of 15 minutes (timed) - Dreadful state of affairs in the "summer" time and even for regular Wick employees having to head South on a schedule!!!

im behind you
17-Jun-10, 16:54
i think there was an articale in the groat or courier some weeks back.which said that they where only doing a temp job as they are hoping to dig the road up at some point to put proper drains down. so it would of been a waist of time and money doing a proper job.i have gone along the road at night when quite and i dont really see a prob with it one or two bits yes but a dam site better than it was.and now that there is delays because the are trying to get the road in a better shape your greeting about that now i mean come get a grip or just go round the long way.or will that be wasting petrol.

Bazeye
17-Jun-10, 17:02
Why not put the drains down first or is that too easy?

cherokee
17-Jun-10, 17:06
i .and now that there is delays because the are trying to get the road in a better shape your greeting about that now i mean come get a grip or just go round the long way.or will that be wasting petrol.

Good grief man - its the main route outta Wick (heading South that is!) - yes, OK, local people can maybe take a wee de-tour to get past the "road-works", (BTW I'm just fine for fuel, Thank you ! - I sat there for so long I turned the engine off LOL!!!)

But how the heck are tourists (i think it's the time of year unless I'm mistaken ??:roll:) supposed to travel South outta Wick, when they're on a schedule ?? (buses included in this !!)

As I previously commented - I sat in that queue just two days ago for 15 minutes , so I take it this is OK then - as long as the road is fixed ???

octane
17-Jun-10, 17:36
Dont mind disruption one bit when Its going to make things safer and less damaging, but if what your saying is true about a temporary fix then thats when I get annoyed as I pay good taxes for it then to be dwindled away on poor management decisions and there failed work structures. I drive that road everyday and can see clearly how the "temp fix" is being implemented. But to patch a bit here....leave dodgy road and then patch a bit there....what is the point?? Just do the job right first time....its not rocket science.

Putting drains down.....LOL talk about doing things backwards and wasting taxpayers money yet again. What sheer brilliance yet again from the powers that be.

Gone are the days of cutting up the road for some plumbing then telecoms comes along "arite mate can I stick a telephone cable down there while the grounds opened up"........"of course" says the plumbing guy.

Then the gas man comes along......"ya beauty" he says to himself........"hello mr plumber, can I stick some gas lines in that trench while its there. Would save a lot of money and cause less disturbance to the public"........."go for it" says the plumber " what a good idea and a very simple thought process"

So now we get road semi-fixed......then gets hacked up again....then do what they always do and temporary patch it......potholes and ruts re-appear causing damage to vehicles and danger to cyclists....

And they probally spent 4X the amount than if they thought things through logically in the first place. Thats why there missing that vital factor in life as said early on.........COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!!

DeHaviLand
17-Jun-10, 18:42
Its 8 years since I first came into Wick for work, and the road was a disgrace then. It certainly seems pathetic if this is just a temporary repair. I remember some time ago when 2 engineers spent 3 weeks marking out the location of all the services on South Road. At a guess, the cost for that must have been in the region of 10k. Small change as far as road budgets go, but it was a hell of a waste of tax payers money. I wonder why no-one ever appears to be held accountable for this level of waste?

Some threads of old bemoaning the state of South Road;
http://www.forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=13857
http://www.forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=8373
http://www.forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=13305

fender
17-Jun-10, 18:58
When oh when will folk who come on here mouthing off about the South Road and the Council get it into their head that the road IS NOT the Councils responsibility. IT IS the responsibility of Transport Scotland and Transerv. FACT end of story!

bekisman
17-Jun-10, 19:01
Some threads of old bemoaning the state of South Road;
http://www.forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=13857
http://www.forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=8373
http://www.forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=13305

I had a look too for 'South Road Wick' came up with this:

"Well the price in South Road wick is 83p per litre, bout the best you will get in wick, thats for unleaded."

Mind you that was in May 2004! ;)

DeHaviLand
17-Jun-10, 19:07
When oh when will folk who come on here mouthing off about the South Road and the Council get it into their head that the road IS NOT the Councils responsibility. IT IS the responsibility of Transport Scotland and Transerv. FACT end of story!

When oh when will you come on here and actually read the thread with your brain in gear? NO-ONE (apart from OP) has mentioned this road being the councils responsibility. FACT end of story!

fender
17-Jun-10, 19:09
Is it me or is the road repair on the south road going to be a half hearted job, they do a bit, miss a bit then restart again and even missing potholes out along the way. Surely it would be more cost effective just to do the whole road one side at a time rather than a strip of tarmac at intervals.

The existing road that they are not bothering to resurface in between is well beyond its lifespan and will just open up and put us back into the shabby state that we have had to suffer from in the first place.

Not the contractors fault I suppose and someone in the council seems to be a bit incompetent at there job and trying to cut corners and make out to there hierarchy "look at me......ive just saved "x" amount on the budget, am I special or what" in order to kiss/kiss, suck/suck and think there a viable asset to there employee.

But in reality we all know that cutting corners to save a few quid ends up biting u on the buttocks because your gonna have to fork out again for all that machinery/manpower and resources to come back and fix it all again soon.

What a clever piece of business yet again......... you can have cv/qualications span the length of this country but you never learned the basic fundamentals of life and even still I'll have to tell ya

"Common Sense"

Noticed the camps car park had a lovely coating of new tarmac....eh!!!! Why not spend the money on the main infastructre first.....

Strange auld world.

Anyhow this all derived from sitting waiting in the queue on the most outdated and failed traffic control system Ive seen for ages :lol:

Apart from that im as happy as a pig

http://toniclaro.to.funpic.de/unter_spass/funpics/funpics/happy_pig.jpg

Oh excuse me. Good night.

octane
17-Jun-10, 19:10
Transport Scotland and Transerv work in conjunction with the councils. FACT end of story! :Razz

cherokee
17-Jun-10, 19:10

I couldn't give a monkey's whether it is the fault of the Coucil, Transport Scotland and Transerv or Santa Claus TBH !!!!!!

When, oh when will folk who come on here mouthing off that it's not the Council's fault ? - will they realise that the South road is a complete and utter disgrace and also becoming dangerous to drive on !!!!! [evil][evil]

Phill
17-Jun-10, 19:13
Why not put the drains down first or is that too easy?

Now, now. No interlektuals around here thank you, move along.....nothing to see here.

nobody likes a smartypants

octane
17-Jun-10, 19:20
When oh when will you come on here and actually read the thread with your brain in gear? NO-ONE (apart from OP) has mentioned this road being the councils responsibility. FACT end of story!

Exactly....anyway I was on about the transport council within the transport division or am I trying to back pedal....:lol:

But TBH I started the thread as I was totally bamboozled at the way the contract work has been approved.

The new tarmac is amazing though...a real dream to ride across.....so smooth and nearly sends the passengers off to sleep so no "greetin" on that part.

fender
17-Jun-10, 19:20
Must agree with you there Octane - absolute disgrace for (one!) of the main roads coming into Wick - TOTAL shambles !!! [evil]

I was driving down Station Road earlier today to go onto Bridge Street and there was a car, very obviously last in line from the "works" traffic lights away up at West Banks Avenue turn off, sitting almost right on the roundabout !!!! [evil]

Just really glad I was heading the other way !

Sorry! just remembered the other day sitting in that very same queue just across from the turn off to West Banks - for all of 15 minutes (timed) - Dreadful state of affairs in the "summer" time and even for regular Wick employees having to head South on a schedule!!!

Solution, leave home 15 minuts earlier.

cherokee
17-Jun-10, 19:33
Solution, leave home 15 minuts earlier.

Your reply is not even worth bothering about TBH, fender ! :roll:

fender
17-Jun-10, 19:46
Exactly....anyway I was on about the transport council within the transport division or am I trying to back pedal....:lol:

But TBH I started the thread as I was totally bamboozled at the way the contract work has been approved.

The new tarmac is amazing though...a real dream to ride across.....so smooth and nearly sends the passengers off to sleep so no "greetin" on that part.

Maybe just a tad but glad to hear its a good ride now. Must try it out tomorrow

telfordstar
17-Jun-10, 22:48
Good grief man - its the main route outta Wick (heading South that is!) - yes, OK, local people can maybe take a wee de-tour to get past the "road-works", (BTW I'm just fine for fuel, Thank you ! - I sat there for so long I turned the engine off LOL!!!)

But how the heck are tourists (i think it's the time of year unless I'm mistaken ??:roll:) supposed to travel South outta Wick, when they're on a schedule ?? (buses included in this !!)

As I previously commented - I sat in that queue just two days ago for 15 minutes , so I take it this is OK then - as long as the road is fixed ???

Im not meaning to sound to cheeky here but it seems a damn is you do damn if you dont with you, my guess is that at some random point in time you yourself moaned about the state of the raod and now its being fixed your moaning about a mear 15 MIN WAIT!!!

Im sure a small delay one day isnt to much of a problem and if you knew the roadworks was on maybe you shouldo left a little bit earlier! If it happened everyday for a week then greet away about it.

As for tourists well their pretty scarce at the moment!

horseman
18-Jun-10, 14:35
cherokee seems to me to have the best grip of it. Poor state of affairs just the same.