PDA

View Full Version : english parliament

jay
20-Jun-06, 16:00
ok while were all being racist and anti english during the footie - how about the report on last night's news that the english are complaining that our MP's should not have a say in english matters like NHS etc cos' in Scotland these things are decided by the scottish parliament? I think they are quite right - equality in all things - they too can spend £400m of their taxes on building a parliament building, then pay through the nose annually for sustaining another tier of government - why should they escape!

Mr P Cannop
20-Jun-06, 16:13
ok while were all being racist and anti english during the footie - how about the report on last night's news that the english are complaining that our MP's should not have a say in english matters like NHS etc cos' in Scotland these things are decided by the scottish parliament? I think they are quite right - equality in all things - they too can spend £400m of their taxes on building a parliament building, then pay through the nose annually for sustaining another tier of government - why should they escape!

i agree with you

Nello
20-Jun-06, 17:59
There has been a lot in the Media lately about apparent Racism aginst the English etc etc, Why do the English need an English Parliament when they have had one for years .. its called Westminster. The English regularly got their own way there as they had more MP's than the Scots and Welsh added together and so they decided what went on in Scotland and Wales for years but now the boot is on the other foot out come the teddies, I do agree that Scots MP's at Westminster should'nt vote on purely English issues though.

And the English cant really complain about Racism when they still refuse Scottish banknotes as they are "Foreign", this happened to me in Norwich Airport just last week.

pultneytooner
20-Jun-06, 18:25
If scotland becomes an independant country then fair enough but until then they are going to have to like it or lump it.;)

rfr10
20-Jun-06, 22:03
The English Parliament may have a say in what happens but it's not them that has the overall decision (most of the time)

landmarker
20-Jun-06, 22:45
And the English cant really complain about Racism when they still refuse Scottish banknotes as they are "Foreign", this happened to me in Norwich Airport just last week.

I have heard some half baked definitions of 'racism' recently but this one takes the biscuit.

golach
20-Jun-06, 22:49
I hate to say this Nello, but Scots Banknotes are technically NOT legal tender

ice box
20-Jun-06, 22:54

And the English cant really complain about Racism when they still refuse Scottish banknotes as they are "Foreign", this happened to me in Norwich Airport just last week.Thats the most stupid thing I've ever heard we accept there's but they wont accept ours. racist or what ?

pultneytooner
20-Jun-06, 23:25
All Scottish banks have the right to print their own notes. Three choose to do so: The Bank of Scotland (founded 1695), The Royal Bank of Scotland (founded 1727) and the Clydesdale Bank (owned by National Australia Bank). Only the Royal Bank prints pound notes. All the banks print 5,10,20 and 100 notes. Only the Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank print 50 pound notes. Scottish bank notes are not legal tender in Scotland. English bank notes of denomination less than 5UKP were legal tender in Scotland under Currency and Bank Notes Act 1954. Now, with the removal of BoE 1UKP notes, only coins constitute legal tender in Scotland. English bank notes are only legal tender in England, Wales, The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. In Scotland, 1 pound coins are legal tender to any amount, 20ps and 50ps are legal tender up to 10 pounds; 10p and 5ps to 5 pounds and 2p and 1p coins are legal tender to 20p (separately or in combination). 2 pounds coins and (if you can get hold of one) 5 pound coins are also legal tender to unlimited amounts, as are gold coins of the realm at face value (in Scotland at least).
Silicon Glen scottish FAQ

Nello
20-Jun-06, 23:26
I hate to say this Nello, but Scots Banknotes are technically NOT legal tender

Well the Police Officer I spoke to said they are and that in the eyes of the law if you have offered to pay for goods and the trader refuses the goods are then classed as a gift, to avoid hassle I just paid with an English note a workmate gave me but decided to ask the PC standing nearby the situation as this keeps happening going through Norwich ..thats what he said.

Just one other point ..

1. If people refuse to accept scottish money as its foreign I would class that as discrimination, maybe Racist is too strong a word in fairness .. Stupid would be a better one in my eyes considering the Bank Of England was founded by a man from Dumfries.

Just my opinion .. ;)

JAWS
21-Jun-06, 00:54
John Holland. an Englishman, founded the Bank of Scotland a year after the Bank of England was founded.
There is no truth in the rumour that this was nothing more than an act of revenge. No Englishman would act in such a childish manner! Honest!:roll:

Nello
21-Jun-06, 01:51
So English money is really Scottish .. and Scottish money is really English.

That'll be quits then.

golach
21-Jun-06, 07:52
John Holland. an Englishman, founded the Bank of Scotland a year after the Bank of England was founded.
There is no truth in the rumour that this was nothing more than an act of revenge. No Englishman would act in such a childish manner! Honest!:roll:
Ah Jaws but in 1691 William Paterson a Scotsman founded the Bank of England, talk about swings and roundabouts [disgust]

Niall Fernie
21-Jun-06, 08:55
An English parliament would be a great idea.

Why not allow them the same control over the same sorts of devolved matters as we and the Welsh have?

I know that the likes of President Alex just loved voting in Westminster just to push that very point. If I were an English MP it would wind me up something rotten.

There must quite a few issues where the English MPs feel that we should butt out as they have basically been told to do up here. However I cannot see that another "parliament" in England would be benefitial (more politicians???) but perhaps an "English Committee" (probably with a better name) could deal with the issues that are already devolved to Scotland and Wales.

The problem with our banknotes and what is/is not legal tender could be washed away by joining the Euro.

frank ward
21-Jun-06, 10:05
But surely the point is that as Scotland's Parliament has no tax-raising powers it is totally dependent upon Westminster [ie the UK treasury] for funds. Therefore it must do what it is told by same.

This is starkly exposed by Highland Council's unpopular plan to privatise council houses. It is being bullied into this by the Scottish Executive, which is itself being bullied by Brown. He has said that there is billions of pounds available to invest in housing, but only if homes are effectively privatised in one of three ways - PFI, ALMO or Stock Transfer.

And our spineless councillors - including mine host - are letting them get away with it.

Rheghead
21-Jun-06, 11:23
Ah Jaws but in 1691 William Paterson a Scotsman founded the Bank of England, talk about swings and roundabouts [disgust]

Didn't Paterson have a lot to do with the failed venture of Darien? No wonder he founded the BoE so it could bail the Scottish economy out.

JimH
21-Jun-06, 11:24
There have been quite a few instances of Scottish MPs, "Saving the governments skin" on purely English matters - As the law stands at the moment it is allowed - but it can no more be right, than English MPs deciding on purely Scottish - Welsh - Irish matters.
According to the Daily Mail this morning - Something may be done about it and also, If it is sorted out - It is unlikely that you will see a Scottish Prime Minister.
However Vice President Blair appears to be doing OK - Will he have a US Pension????

Dave Taylor
21-Jun-06, 23:40
Nello -- I'm sure Scottish bank notes are legal tender in England. Trouble is, there's ususally no time to complain and/or persuade, especially at places like airports.

Dave Taylor
21-Jun-06, 23:49
Nello -- I knew I'd seen it somewhere recently. In the "Rough Guide to Scottish Highlands and Islands" it says:
"Bank of England £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes are legal tender in Scotland...All Scottish notes are legal tender throughout the UK, no matter what shopkeepers south of the border might say". (Page 34 of 4th edition)

Nello
21-Jun-06, 23:55
Nello -- I knew I'd seen it somewhere recently. In the "Rough Guide to Scottish Highlands and Islands" it says:
"Bank of England £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes are legal tender in Scotland...All Scottish notes are legal tender throughout the UK, no matter what shopkeepers south of the border might say". (Page 34 of 4th edition)

Cheers for that .. but I dont think I will be going back to the Bar in Norwich Airport anymore .. £3.10 for a pint of Guiness !!

Rheghead
22-Jun-06, 00:22
As a regular visitor to Englandshire, I have never had a Scottish note of mine refused south of the border. Though one day I tried to palm a scots fiver onto my old pub landlord who did grumble but he got his own back when he included it into my change 3 hours later when I was worse for wear. He had to take a Scots £20 for the privilege of out doing me! :lol:

landmarker
22-Jun-06, 15:20
Never a real problem down here. In the late seventies I worked for a Bellshill battery firm and was paid weekly in Scottish banknotes. The only resistance (of note - pun) came from a Magistrates clerk once when he jibbed at the dosh. He was told from the bench to accept it, after I said I had now't else!

Motoring offence if you was wondrin' - minor - £30 fine c. 1980

obiron
22-Jun-06, 18:14
Cheers for that .. but I dont think I will be going back to the Bar in Norwich Airport anymore .. £3.10 for a pint of Guiness !!

£3.10 thats scandalous.

badger
22-Jun-06, 18:22

Not according to the Bank of England -

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

Looks to me as if it's all a matter of personal preference. :confused

JAWS
22-Jun-06, 21:11
I understand the criteria for acceptance is that the notes are valued in "Pounds Sterling" which Scottish Notes are. Certainly the gizmos that check for forgeries recognise them as legal tender and Banks in England are quite willing to accept them.

As far as I know, the only way in which English Banks treat them differently is that they return them to Scottish Banks for re-issue up here.

changilass
22-Jun-06, 21:21
I have never has Scottish notes refused when south of the border, but I was intrigued when my nieces visited and asked me for £1 notes, I found out later that when in nightclubs they handed them over and were getting change for a fiver :roll: :lol: