PDA

View Full Version : Wick HomeAid Shop

secretsquirrel
16-Jun-10, 16:32
I see the new HomeAid shop has opened in Wick this week.

Once again the people of Wick are being ripped off with charity shops, I was in when they opened and Homeaid Wick are selling second hand electrical goods for more than new ones costs in Argos or Tescos.

They have Tesco clothes which cost more than what Tesco Charge for them.

How can charity shops justify their prices considering everything is given free to them. Have they never heard of stock them high and sell them cheap? to generate large profits. It is no wonder that they allways have the same goods week in and week out.

Once again I see they have more staff than customers. Luckly they are not a buisness or they would be closed within 6 months.

alanryder
16-Jun-10, 16:44
where is the new shop ?:confused

Bobinovich
16-Jun-10, 16:53
It's up in Dempster Street. If items are priced more expensive than new then surely better to tell them that so that they can re-price the items. It's not in their interest to have items sitting and not selling - especially if it's simply due to whoever priced them doing so too high.

Ash
16-Jun-10, 17:00
i find the same with the Thurso shop and another charity shop in thurso....some of the prices are ridiculous!!

bored2bitz
16-Jun-10, 19:07
I agree the prices Charity Shops charge are extortionate as you say they get the stuff free and if I am right most of their staff are voluntary, they get cheaper rates than local shops too. No wonder towns are becoming full of charity shops.
When I ventured a look to the new Home Aid I noticed they had a picture on the wall they were asking £10 for the picture it was only £2.99 when it was new, a lot of people were commenting on the prices and how dear they were, these shops were opened to help the poor and needy but these are the folk that now can't afford to purchase from them.
Come on charity shops get a reality check and start charging reasonable affordable prices.

Bartlett Boy
16-Jun-10, 19:14
i may be wrong is sayiny this but i told in a natter ages ago that you can make a fair offer for something priced in a charity shop and by rights they have to accept it as its for charity if im wrong sorry

thanks

Kodiak
16-Jun-10, 20:24
i may be wrong is sayiny this but i told in a natter ages ago that you can make a fair offer for something priced in a charity shop and by rights they have to accept it as its for charity if im wrong sorry

thanks

Yes you are indeed wrong. You can make an offer but they are in no way obliged to accept it. They might or they might not accept any reasonable offer, but they do NOT have to accept it because they are a Charity Shop.

redeyedtreefrog
16-Jun-10, 20:53
I got a CD ROM drive from homeAid that works perfectly for 50p.

philupmaboug
16-Jun-10, 20:54
They are not a charity shop with those prices.
They are a subsidised method of getting the unemployment numbers down for those who are paid a few quid more than there dole to pick up free donations and slap big prices on them and stand around looking at each other.
Another managerial job given to a person with no feel for the needs of the local community imho.

davem
16-Jun-10, 20:54
The reality of Charity shops is they donate to people who can't afford and people who go in the shop choose to buy or not. It is very dull listening to the overpriced charity shop goods grumbles again. Homeaid run 2 vans, keep stuff out of landfill, employ local people and help many who want to volunteer to learn new skills or use what they already know. They have overheads and need money to run, that is why they charge for things; there will always be things that can appear overpriced but lots more that isn't, - just don't buy it if you don't want it -simples!

Dog-eared
16-Jun-10, 21:06
They should still get their pricing right.

Nacho
16-Jun-10, 23:54
i agree with all the stuff about overpricing etc
but it's worth pointing out that Homeaid get a fraction of the electrical stuff whilst most of it goes in a separate container which is regularly (weekly) emptied by ...

http://www.ilmhighland.co.uk/

these guys are also charity based and doing great work, but they're taking the cream of the donated electrical items out of Caithness and leaving the Homeaid container with the dregs.

Homeaid should run a similar scheme, instead of just moving items from the skip, PAT test it, then stick it in the shop or rehome it.

http://www.ilmhighland.co.uk/Alness-Shop.html

Homeaid need to address the local 'homeaphopia' against them, people would rather dump it or give it away free on the org than watch Homeaid rip the eyes outta people.

Amy-Winehouse
17-Jun-10, 09:56
Not all charity shops in the town are as exspensive !! Our shop tylers trust autism awareness is very cheap and we are told this by our customers on a daily basis!!

We get our donations for free so we ask very little for everything at the moment we are selling a wardrobe for a £5 so you cant ask cheaper than that and you wont get a wardrobe for £5 in argos lol !!

Also we are a local charity shop so everything we make goes back into the community and yes there are on the odd occassion a few items that come in that we do ask slightly more for, an example being a very old antique this does happen on the odd occassion so if it,s worth a couple of hundred to buy then we sell it for £50 which i think is very reasonable when the person who buys it can resale it for double what it,s worth.

wicker8
17-Jun-10, 11:54
Not all charity shops in the town are as exspensive !! Our shop tylers trust autism awareness is very cheap and we are told this by our customers on a daily basis!!

We get our donations for free so we ask very little for everything at the moment we are selling a wardrobe for a £5 so you cant ask cheaper than that and you wont get a wardrobe for £5 in argos lol !!

Also we are a local charity shop so everything we make goes back into the community and yes there are on the odd occassion a few items that come in that we do ask slightly more for, an example being a very old antique this does happen on the odd occassion so if it,s worth a couple of hundred to buy then we sell it for £50 which i think is very reasonable when the person who buys it can resale it for double what it,s worth.hi amy -winehouse i could not agree more you are spot on keep up the good work

Amy-Winehouse
17-Jun-10, 12:04
hi amy -winehouse i could not agree more you are spot on keep up the good work
Thank you very much :Razz

chaz
17-Jun-10, 12:16

Also we are a local charity shop so everything we make goes back into the community and yes there are on the odd occassion a few items that come in that we do ask slightly more for, an example being a very old antique this does happen on the odd occassion so if it,s worth a couple of hundred to buy then we sell it for £50 which i think is very reasonable when the person who buys it can resale it for double what it,s worth.

I was in the shop for the first time yesterday,found it very reasonable, had a good look round with my autistic son, will call again on my own to donate to this worthy cause:)

Duncansby
17-Jun-10, 14:06
so if it,s worth a couple of hundred to buy then we sell it for £50 which i think is very reasonable when the person who buys it can resale it for double what it,s worth.

Wouldn't it be better to sell it for what it's worth rather than have a private individual make a nice little profit? That way more money can be put to good use for your worth while cause.

Rampant Rabbit
17-Jun-10, 15:05
Thurso and wick homeaid shops have been bought by them so thats why they are dear to buy things fae they are not rented

Kodiak
17-Jun-10, 15:53
Thurso and wick homeaid shops have been bought by them so thats why they are dear to buy things fae they are not rented

Very true HomeAid did but their shops but they did so with the Money they received in a Grant. So in actual fact the shops cost them Nothing.!!

So this is not a good reason for overcharging for items that they sell.

Amy-Winehouse
18-Jun-10, 00:17
Wouldn't it be better to sell it for what it's worth rather than have a private individual make a nice little profit? That way more money can be put to good use for your worth while cause.
Yes very true but we dont want people to think our prices to unreasonable

Amy-Winehouse
18-Jun-10, 00:18
I was in the shop for the first time yesterday,found it very reasonable, had a good look round with my autistic son, will call again on my own to donate to this worthy cause:)
Glad you came in and had a look it,s nice to meet other families who,s life,s are touched by autism
Hope to see you again when im working

chaz
18-Jun-10, 00:27
Glad you came in and had a look it,s nice to meet other families who,s life,s are touched by autism
Hope to see you again when im working

Must have a big clear out and will be in with some donations:) Hope to meet you at some point.