PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Castle Canons

souperman
20-Jun-06, 09:59
Just wondering whatever happened to the canons that used to "guard" Thurso Castle, the area where they stood has long since been washed away, also does anyone know if any thoughts have been given to protecting the area around the castle before it also falls into the sea, at a rough guess about 30 feet has been lost in the last 30 years, something will have to be done sooner rather than later if we are to prevent this.

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Jun-06, 10:34
Two of them used to reside within Sir John's Square for many years. That was until, just like the original bandstand, they were removed by the council as part of the town's 'improvement.' Not sure where they are now, but the Maitland's in Brabster Street have one of the statue guards in their garden.

simpsoney
20-Jun-06, 10:35
I have horses at Thurso East and walk my dogs there regularly. A lot was washed away in the last storm we had but there is next to nothing left now. I agree with you something should have been done to try and at least save something there. It is a real shame because it is beautiful down there.

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Jun-06, 11:23
You're right. And it can't be long before Thurso Castle's tower comes down. I'll give it five more years.

Sporran
20-Jun-06, 19:11
I would love to see Thurso Castle restored to its former glory. I've seen photos of it on this site and elsewhere, and was absolutely beautiful! It was still in its complete state until the very early 1950s. I think it's a tragedy that it had to be partly demolished! :(

Ricco
20-Jun-06, 19:48
One of the outbuildings of the castle (by the landward entrance) used to have some magnificent sets of elk antlers in - I wonder what has become of them? Always lusted after a set of those! ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Jun-06, 22:05
I would love to see Thurso Castle restored to its former glory. I've seen photos of it on this site and elsewhere, and was absolutely beautiful! It was still in its complete state until the very early 1950s. I think it's a tragedy that it had to be partly demolished! :(

I ken. Anything to avoid paying tax, eh? And with their money.

Errogie
28-Jun-06, 15:27
I agree that the erosion has been spectacular but there is no point in trying to keep the sea back a la King Canute.

Look on the bright side as the underlying slabs continue to be laid bare the surfing will get better so there wil be even longer wave runs into the old living room!

scorrie
28-Jun-06, 16:00
Just wondering whatever happened to the canons that used to "guard" Thurso Castle

I suspect they are currently aimed at 4 particular Councillors ;o)

crashbandicoot1979
28-Jun-06, 16:06
The cannons were moved to Fort George a good few years ago. Haven't a clue why. I wish that something could be done to Thurso East, it has so much potential. I grew up near there and spent a lot of time there as a child. It's sad to see the state it has fallen into :~(