PDA

View Full Version : Names fisherman were known as

grandmabear
15-Jun-10, 02:46
I have a letter written to my Grandfather many years ago about 1927, it mentions people they knew in Wick and I wonder if anyone knows of the men behind the names they were known as:
Old Bounty
Dandy Cooper
Old Sandigs
I had read recently where the fishermen had names for each other and wonder if these might be some.
Just interested ,my ancestors were boat carpenters and fishermen.
Jan

Mosser
15-Jun-10, 17:11
I have a letter written to my Grandfather many years ago about 1927, it mentions people they knew in Wick and I wonder if anyone knows of the men behind the names they were known as:
Old Bounty
Dandy Cooper
Old Sandigs
I had read recently where the fishermen had names for each other and wonder if these might be some.
Just interested ,my ancestors were boat carpenters and fishermen.
Jan

Old Bounty was John Wares or Bounty Wares who lived in Willowbank, so called because he was the last man to have a boat built under the Government Bounty Scheme.
I have heard of Dandy Cooper and my memory tells me that he was Coghill to name but I may be wrong.

These were all bynames or nicknames some rather exotic like "tin engines" etc, while Sandigs or Sannig is a version of Sandy from Alexander.

Hope this helps,

Mosser

Gerry Martin
27-Jun-10, 17:00
My grandfather Robert Coghill was a fisherman out of Keiss for many years. I note the nickname of Dandy Cooper and the reference to Coghill. I have no information in this regard but wonder if there might be any connection. My grandfather passed away January 7, 1939. Would be pleased to hear from you.

Mosser
28-Jun-10, 20:05
My grandfather Robert Coghill was a fisherman out of Keiss for many years. I note the nickname of Dandy Cooper and the reference to Coghill. I have no information in this regard but wonder if there might be any connection. My grandfather passed away January 7, 1939. Would be pleased to hear from you.

As far as I know Dandy Cooper lived in the Willowbank area of Wick and was a mature man at the beginning of the 20th century, I don't have a positive ID on the Coghill surname, it's just something lurking in the back of my mind. If I do get more info I'll be sure to post it

Mosser

sandyr1
30-Jun-10, 05:09
Old Bounty was John Wares or Bounty Wares who lived in Willowbank, so called because he was the last man to have a boat built under the Government Bounty Scheme.
I have heard of Dandy Cooper and my memory tells me that he was Coghill to name but I may be wrong.

These were all bynames or nicknames some rather exotic like "tin engines" etc, while Sandigs or Sannig is a version of Sandy from Alexander.

Mosser
Very Interesting......Sandy from Alexander....That is me...also Sannag, Allesandro.......Sandros in Italian and Sandor in Yugoslavian.....George was Dod and Christina was Tia.
Makes one think, wherever you come from, we are all the same.

By the Way...There was a John Wares, a Blacksmith in Ulbster/ Sarclet....Any relative?????

Mosser
02-Jul-10, 21:04
Very Interesting......Sandy from Alexander....That is me...also Sannag, Allesandro.......Sandros in Italian and Sandor in Yugoslavian.....George was Dod and Christina was Tia.
Makes one think, wherever you come from, we are all the same.

By the Way...There was a John Wares, a Blacksmith in Ulbster/ Sarclet....Any relative?????

I'm afraid the short answer to that one is ----------- I haven't a clue

Partan
04-Jul-10, 21:15

I may be totally wrong about this but there was a fisherman in Keiss called Robbie Coghill whose nickname was Whabbie. He had a son called Robert Coghill who had a son Clair who, last I heard, was a butcher with Harrold Brothers in Wick. My understanding was that the original Robert died later than 1939 (of a heart attack) outside my parents' house in Keiss but my dates could well be wrong as it is hearsay from my parents.

Best of luck in your search.

partan

Gerry Martin
05-Jul-10, 20:41
Thanks for your reply, there is no doubt that the Robert Coghill to which you refer is my grandfather. The grandson Claire is indeed a butcher in Wick. We live in Canada and are leaving for Scotland on July 14th and will be visiting Claire and Isobel in Wick. Where do you live? Would like to meet you.