PDA

View Full Version : skill shortage

jay
19-Jun-06, 21:02
Just browsing through the org and it strikes me that very regularily we see people looking for painters, decorators, joiners etc to do jobs in there homes and it strikes me that a lot of basic skills seem to being lost these days, my parents wouldn't have dreamed of getting someone in to do work in the house, even my generation are more likely to have a go but younger folks don't seem to have had these skills passed on to them (my own kids included!)- perhaps the college should consider running old fashioned evening courses in wallpapering and things like that - what do you think?

landmarker
19-Jun-06, 21:43
I wonder if it is not just a lack of time that puts people off having a go themselves. Many are knackered after working long hours but the extra cash in their pockets - much more disposable income than their parents enjoyed - pays for the tradesmen to do the jobs they can't be bothered with.

I'd still decorate myself but sparks, joiners and tilers etc - whereas my Dad would have had a go I recognise my limitations and get those with know how to do it.

Evening courses in practical skills should be available and cheap. Good idea , again if folks have the time.
At school in the sixties we were told how future generations would have so much leisure time with machines doing all the work. It hasn't happened has it?

lelebo
20-Jun-06, 09:51
I think this is a great idea - I for one could do with some help with basic diy - basic car maintenance would be another good one - save a fortune on mechanics bills!!

Whitewater
20-Jun-06, 10:56
I still do all my own decorating etc. around the house, I also used to enjoy stripping down car engines and doing all my own repairs, but the engines of modern cars have become so complicated with all the electronic management systems, that it is virtually impossible now to do any work without the proper computer system. However, having said that, I have not had anything going wrong with an engine for years, they are being built to higher standards, and of course I have been running diesels for many years now.
I must admit that I am now aiming at becoming maintenance free on the externals of the house, this I hope will be the last year that I will be climbing a ladder to do external painting. Age is catching up.

But to answer the question, I don't think there is a skill shortage, but younger people now have more disposable income, and can afford to have decorating etc. done for them.

jay
20-Jun-06, 13:15
I think you're correct to a certain extent in that most young householders do have more income than previous but there is a lot of people out there who would not know where to start when it comes to basic jobs, we try to do all of our maintenance ourselves but yes age is starting to catch up, I have two daughters in their early 20's who wouldn't know what to do with a paint brush and just expect Mum and Dad to come to the rescue! we did make sure that they were shown how to change the wheel on the car when they started driving, make them check oil and water etc but that's about as far as it goes. They've never really shown any interest in other skills like cooking, sewing etc in fact I had to sew a button on in a hurry the other night before No.1 daughter could go on holiday - she wasn't even embarassed to ask! probably my own fault

When I was in High School ( a long time ago) we got basic lessons in cooking, sewing, housework (very sexist) and there were also basic classes in woodwork, general things like how to put a plug on a lamp etc etc. When I first moved to Caithness the college used to teach decorating, home joinery and basic mechanics but mainly we learned by trying things ourselves and I think that is the problem today - people don't want to try

katarina
20-Jun-06, 13:21
I do my own decorating, and have a go at the other things as well - that must be why my house is falling down.....

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Jun-06, 15:05
I try ma hand at most things but when it comes to plumbing.....nae chance!!!It would be a classic case of singing "Rain drops keep fallin' on ma heid!!!!:lol: :lol:

freckles
20-Jun-06, 16:47
I think you are right that people have more disposable income nowadays and can therefore pay tradesmen to do jobs that people may have undertaken themselves before, however, I also think it is partly because people also have less time to do these kinds of things.

When my partner and I bought our house we both had 1 full time and 1 part time job each and I was also studying part time so we did not have the time to do decorating, plumbing, joinery, electrical work etc ourselves.

We have also had a lot of problems with our house due to people attempting to do this kind of work themselves rather than bring in skilled tradesmen to do the work and I really think that although it is more expensive, it is best to pay a professional for a professional job. - It's just a shame we need 2 jobs each to be able to afford a professional! - I should've married a tradesman!!

katarina
20-Jun-06, 20:16
I think you are right that people have more disposable income nowadays and can therefore pay tradesmen to do jobs that people may have undertaken themselves before, however, I also think it is partly because people also have less time to do these kinds of things.

When my partner and I bought our house we both had 1 full time and 1 part time job each and I was also studying part time so we did not have the time to do decorating, plumbing, joinery, electrical work etc ourselves.

We have also had a lot of problems with our house due to people attempting to do this kind of work themselves rather than bring in skilled tradesmen to do the work and I really think that although it is more expensive, it is best to pay a professional for a professional job. - It's just a shame we need 2 jobs each to be able to afford a professional! - I should've married a tradesman!!

I did. and I still had to do everything myself. Talk about the cobblers bairns!