PDA

View Full Version : Sky Broadband

curlywurly
14-Jun-10, 10:56
Hi, was wondering if anyone in the Wick area has sky broadband and if they do is it any good.
Any help would be muchly appreciated, thanks.

telfordstar
14-Jun-10, 13:57
I have sky broadband since september last year and ive never had a problem at all.

Leanne
14-Jun-10, 14:14
It is rubbish! I have the same speed as my mum (who lives in Cheshire). If I try to (legally) download a video it takes 3 days, when I was staying with my mum it took less than 25 minutes. Just to give you an example of how it should be... We are being short changed/overcharged here for the service that we actually get!

Serenity
14-Jun-10, 15:47
It is rubbish! I have the same speed as my mum (who lives in Cheshire). If I try to (legally) download a video it takes 3 days, when I was staying with my mum it took less than 25 minutes. Just to give you an example of how it should be... We are being short changed/overcharged here for the service that we actually get!

Can you clarify two things for me please:
What do you mean by the "same speed"? Are you synced in at the same speed or are you just on the same package?

Do you actually have Sky BB? I just ask as I have seen the exact same post on the BT thread. I know Sky use BT equipment in all Caithness exchanges so can understand why you replied to both, just wanting the clarification.

To OP, I have no experience with Sky BB here specifically, but in general Sky BB on a non unbundled exchange (ie all in Caithness) has very poor service due to massive over utilisation and a huge amount of traffic shaping being used so I would not recommend it. On the other hand if you are at an unbundled exchange and have sky tv it is amazing value and generally great speeds. But that's not happening in Caithness yet.

Also on non unbundled exchanges Sky BB is not cheap, there are better out there, do some googling for alternatives and comparison sites. The only reason I can see to have Sky BB on a non unbundled exchange is the tv on demand service I saw mentioned here a few weeks ago but because of the above issues I doubt it would work very well here anyway.

Leanne
14-Jun-10, 15:58
Can you clarify two things for me please:
What do you mean by the "same speed"? Are you synced in at the same speed or are you just on the same package?

We are both on 8meg broadband on BT (via Sky) and live roughly the same distance from our nearest exchange.

Serenity
14-Jun-10, 16:27
We are both on 8meg broadband on BT (via Sky) and live roughly the same distance from our nearest exchange.

Oh okay, then you will know the up to 8meg is only "up to" and it depends on multiple factors (one being the distance yes).
But from my experience I would say your mother is the lucky one, getting a decent service on the Sky Connect package. Very much in the minority.

Leanne
14-Jun-10, 16:54
Oh okay, then you will know the up to 8meg is only "up to" and it depends on multiple factors (one being the distance yes).
But from my experience I would say your mother is the lucky one, getting a decent service on the Sky Connect package. Very much in the minority.

Actually it is a pretty typical speed for the area she lives. However up here is would be unheard of...

Serenity
14-Jun-10, 17:02
Actually it is a pretty typical speed for the area she lives. However up here is would be unheard of...

I understand that, however in a lot of cases the Sky 8 meg package performs a lot worse than similar packages with other isps in the same area.
That is in general.

I think you are confusing my general and specific points.

Leanne
14-Jun-10, 17:13
I think you are confusing my general and specific points.

Very much in the minority.

I understood this to mean the opposite of the minority - ie the majority. I was pointing out that this might be the case up here, but not everywhere.

Serenity
14-Jun-10, 17:22
I understood this to mean the opposite of the minority - ie the majority. I was pointing out that this might be the case up here, but not everywhere.
Believe me it is the case the the Sky Connect package is pretty poor in most locations (check www.skyuser.co.uk forums if unsure). That is the GENERAL factor.
The SPECIFIC factor is the location/s that you/OP are in and what broadband in general is like there.

Leanne
14-Jun-10, 17:25
Believe me it is the case the the Sky Connect package is pretty poor in most locations (check www.skyuser.co.uk (http://www.skyuser.co.uk) forums if unsure). That is the GENERAL factor.
The SPECIFIC factor is the location/s that you/OP are in and what broadband in general is like there.

The sooner I am rid the better anyway... I am trying to upload a little vid to photobucket and at the rate I am going it's going to take all night!

curlywurly
14-Jun-10, 20:18
THanks for replies. what would you say is the best broadband up here to get. im looking for unlimited broadband with a fairly good speed. whats the best value?

telfordstar
14-Jun-10, 22:23
THanks for replies. what would you say is the best broadband up here to get. im looking for unlimited broadband with a fairly good speed. whats the best value?

I think (someone quote me if im wrong) that up here in wick although majority of providers for broadband say they have up to 8 whatever speed we are lucky to get to 3.8 speed, only one exchange up here so im my view dosnt matter who you go with they will all be roughly the same speed.

Kirdon
14-Jun-10, 22:39
I think (someone quote me if im wrong) that up here in wick although majority of providers for broadband say they have up to 8 whatever speed we are lucky to get to 3.8 speed, only one exchange up here so im my view dosnt matter who you go with they will all be roughly the same speed.

The exchange provides 8mg broadband. Then your line (distance and material used), your internal wiring and equipment come into play. All can reduce the speed. Then after all this your service provider then decides what speed they are going to let you run at. "Only" one exchange but it does the job it is designed for.