PDA

View Full Version : General/Genealogy

d.polson
13-Jun-10, 18:20
Hello all this is my first time out so please bear with me.I,m based in Glasgow but will be visiting the Lybster area on the 15th June to try and track down an old memory.

I have a photo of myself sitting outside a croft in 1945 and the name badereskie? there seems to be various spellings of this name so i,ll go with the one I,ve used.

I,ve never been back since that time and I dont think I can wait any longer as i,ll be72 this year.My name is Donald Polson as was my fathers and I,m trying to find the link between glasgow& Badereskie. Through the internet I made contact with Mrs Gunn who is going to introduce me to John Polson at Smerlie who thinks he knows the croft I described.

Well thanks for bearing with me, sore fingers not used to all this work.

Bazeye
13-Jun-10, 18:24
Good luck, hope you find what your looking for.

John Little
13-Jun-10, 18:28
http://graven-images.org.uk/cgi-bin/lowgraph.pl?yard=lath-new&grave=132

John Little
13-Jun-10, 18:29
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Badereskie_-_geograph.org.uk_-_231549.jpg

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=92055

http://graven-images.org.uk/cgi-bin/lowgraph.pl?yard=lath-new&grave=508

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/community/posts/1089063/default.aspx

sandyr1
13-Jun-10, 23:00
I understand that our 'Fred' created Graven Images.....

northener
13-Jun-10, 23:03
Mr Polson, I'm sure you'll be well looked after in Lybster, there'll be plenty of the 'older end' who will be willing to pass the time with you when you get there.

Bobinovich
13-Jun-10, 23:13
I understand that our 'Fred' created Graven Images.....

Clique - nice lol :lol:

cherokee
13-Jun-10, 23:26
Good grief, Mr Polson was asking about his memories and yet again the thread has turned into a "Laugh" for some .........[evil]

I really hope you find who you are looking for Mr Polson and just hope that you can "avoid" those Caithness.Org people who seem to find your quest very funny !!!!

If I had lived in your area at that time, or knew of anyone who could be of help to you then I certainly would help you in any way I could !

May I take this chance to wish you all the very best in your research Mr Polson !

P/S - Once again John Little is most helpful - good for you John !

John Little
14-Jun-10, 10:28
Yes - Fred did create graven images, and a very impressive piece of work it is too, clear and objective.

The research has been painstaking and the whole thing has been put together with an attention to detail and a standard of presentation that indicate dedication, meticulous craftsmanship, perseverance and a mind that inquires deeply.

It's a fine site which he set up, I suspect not only for his own interest and industry, but with a real altruistic impulse, as an aid to people doing family research.

DeHaviLand
14-Jun-10, 11:07
Yes - Fred did create graven images, and a very impressive piece of work it is too, clear and objective.

The research has been painstaking and the whole thing has been put together with an attention to detail and a standard of presentation that indicate dedication, meticulous craftsmanship, perseverance and a mind that inquires deeply.

It's a fine site which he set up, I suspect not only for his own interest and industry, but with a real altruistic impulse, as an aid to people doing family research.

Lol, bet he wishes he had read this post before he changed the grave image to this

Grave 508

http://1.2.3.12/bmi/graven-images.org.uk/lath-new/photos/lns508.jpg

In loving memory of.
Benjamin Young of Badereskie died 2nd April 1919 aged 73.
Wife Elizabeth Cormack died 19th August 1920 aged 75.
Last Grave (http://graven-images.org.uk/cgi-bin/lowgraph.pl?grave=507&yard=lath-new)

ducati
14-Jun-10, 11:34
Good luck on your quest, you don't need a reason to visit Lybster and the area, but if you have, it is a bonus. :cool:

John Little
14-Jun-10, 13:40
People are all Curate's eggs, are they not?

ŠAmethyst
14-Jun-10, 13:49
*rolls her eyes at it all* I didn't see any credit being taken, just a link posted. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm sorry I am of absolutely no help to you but I wish you all the best with your research, Mr Polson.

wicker8
14-Jun-10, 14:09
*rolls her eyes at it all* I didn't see any credit being taken, just a link posted. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm sorry I am of absolutely no help to you but I wish you all the best with your research, Mr Polson. well said amethyst i think john little was only trying to be helpful and FREDS GONE just a link [minor details]

sandyr1
14-Jun-10, 14:45
D. Polson....

When you see John Polson please give him the regards of Sandyr from Canada. We went to school together and I was born in Osclay, quite close to where you were.
And I am sure John will take you to the Commercial Hotel....Say hello to them.
You will be made most welcome in Lybster, I can assure you...sandyr

sandyr1
14-Jun-10, 14:59
Lol, bet he wishes he had read this post before he changed the grave image to this

Grave 508

In loving memory of.
Last Grave (http://graven-images.org.uk/cgi-bin/lowgraph.pl?grave=507&yard=lath-new)

Am trying to figure out what this comment means....

DeHaviLand
14-Jun-10, 15:05
John Little posted a link to a website, Graven Images, which was built and maintained by fred. fred took umbrage and changed the image of the grave on the website to what it now reads in my post. John Little then paid tribute to freds website in a later post, but fred obviously didnt read it before taking the hump and going off on one.

sandyr1
14-Jun-10, 15:14

Grave 508

In loving memory of.

John Little posted a link to a website, Graven Images, which was built and maintained by fred. fred took umbrage and changed the image of the grave on the website to what it now reads in my post. John Little then paid tribute to freds website in a later post, but fred obviously didnt read it before taking the hump and going off on one.

Tks for explanation....

d.polson
14-Jun-10, 15:25
Hello again,Don Polsonfrom the sunny depths of Glasgow.

Re Badereskie search ( alternative name Sheppardstown )

1) Thanks for all the friendly comments

2)To John Little checked the coloured photo unfortunately not the one I,m looking for the foot print is wrong as is the roof covering but this could have been changed in later years.

3) To Sandyr1 Hi if everything goes to plan message will be passed.

4)Not sure about the " Graves" message? is this "Heilan humor?

5)If I can work it out I,ll post a copy of the photo in my next message.

Sorry sore finger time again,
Regards to all Don

sandyr1
14-Jun-10, 15:40
Hello again,Don Polsonfrom the sunny depths of Glasgow.

Re Badereskie search ( alternative name Sheppardstown )

1) Thanks for all the friendly comments

2)To John Little checked the coloured photo unfortunately not the one I,m looking for the foot print is wrong as is the roof covering but this could have been changed in later years.

3) To Sandyr1 Hi if everything goes to plan message will be passed.

4)Not sure about the " Graves" message? is this "Heilan humor?

5)If I can work it out I,ll post a copy of the photo in my next message.

Sorry sore finger time again,
Regards to all Don

Thanks for reply Don,
Ignore the Graves thingy..Just some (of us) have been on here for a while and there are sma' issues. Enjoy your ' trip up North'. And John Polson will be able to answer all your questions...sandyr

horseman
14-Jun-10, 15:49
All the best to you Don an may you find what you are looking for. Donald.

d.polson
14-Jun-10, 15:59
:lol: To sandyr1

Thanks for comments on item 4 I sussed this what was happening , no problem and no offense taken I hope either way.

I,ll be travelling up tomorrow morning (15) and staying in the Smerral area for a couple of days, so I,m hoping for some good sight seeing.

Regards
Don

cherokee
14-Jun-10, 17:54
Hope you find what you're looking for Mr. Polson and I also hope you have a really lovely trip North and that the sun shines for you !!:)

wicker8
14-Jun-10, 17:59
i wish you luck don hope you get what you are looking for have a safe journey north

John Little
14-Jun-10, 18:01
Good luck Mr P - I hope you find what you are looking for.

And thankyou Fred.

John Little
15-Jun-10, 12:08
Understood.

John Little
16-Jun-10, 09:26
If I were not laughing so hard I would be forced to the conclusion that you are a numpty after all. It's a bit like Laurel and Hardy.

It's like working with Tigger - you bounce all over the place like a rubber ball!

The note says more about you than me - but if you want me to put it back just let me know.

BTW - you could change it to something more pithy....

John Little
16-Jun-10, 21:44
That is a very grave solution.

16-Jun-10, 22:10
This thread has been removed to the appropriate section.

Please refrain from posting here unless you have specific information which would interest the Original Poster.

d.polson
19-Jun-10, 23:12
hello again,
returned from my trip yesterday evening, so first things first,as before thanks to all for good wishes and I now under stand a little more about the graves.To sandyr messages to John Polson and George at the hotel recieved with a surprised thanks.

I located my croft its about 1mile east of John Polsons croft on the other side of the road and a bit of a ruin.The last known occupants were James Cormack and his wife Bessie Polson,by date it was their home when I was there.I,ve seen a photo of them at the door of the croft c1960 inDonald Young,s book Lybster 1998,and have met up with Donald Cormack Bessie,s nephew
Does anybody have information on Bessie after 1960???.

all I can say at this moment is I went up as a stranger and came back with more friends than I though possible.
Well folks that all for now.

Best Wishes Don

sandyr1
24-Jun-10, 17:56
Hi there,
Thanks. Glad you found the Croft. I remember Bessie Polson, but left Caithness in 1963, so things in the past are getting blurred.
Glad you met the 'boys'. Must have been in the Commercial...
Tks again...sandy

I see they have moved these posts to the Genealogy section.....

htwood
01-Jul-10, 03:35
Hello Don,
I'll trade you a copy of pic of Bessie Polson and James Cormack for one of Bessie's sister Teenie. They were my cousins. Bessie died in the late 1960's.

d.polson
03-Jul-10, 16:28
Hi Helen,
I,m slightly puzzled about the Bessie photo, what I,ve got is an attempt to copy a photo from Donald Youngs first book which is on standard paper not photo paper so quite poor quality,but that said you will get copies, I,ll
PM to explain.

Now on to other matters,did you receive the 1945 photo and death certificate as after sending I received a message from this side that they could not transmit the information partly in computer speak and partly in clear I didn,t understand any of it.

when you were in the Badreiskie area did you visit John Polson and his family?

Bye for now keep smiling Don.