PDA

View Full Version : Time to emigrate?

jay
19-Jun-06, 13:10
Have you read about the Scottish Executives latest nonsensical plans? In order to curb our binge drinking culture, they propose that the legal age for consuming alchohol be increased to 21. Not only that but when you visit your local hostelry you will be restricted to 4 drinks per visit! make mine a pint of vodka then!!!!!!!!!!

the world is going crazy

changilass
19-Jun-06, 13:20
Have you read about the Scottish Executives latest nonsensical plans? In order to curb our binge drinking culture, they propose that the legal age for consuming alchohol be increased to 21. Not only that but when you visit your local hostelry you will be restricted to 4 drinks per visit! make mine a pint of vodka then!!!!!!!!!!

the world is going crazy

4 drinks per visit?? Any one fancy a pub crawl:lol:

unicorn
19-Jun-06, 13:36
Good grief, this is starting to get ridiculous I see all the movies are coming true where we will live in a society where we have no freedom of choice and will be constantly monitored.

golach
19-Jun-06, 14:15

the world is going crazy
Great plan, I'm all for the age to be increased to 21, lots of bars in Edinburgh are over 21's anyway, but maybe the restriction should be 5 drinks only

sjwahwah
19-Jun-06, 14:45
won't make any difference in Leith.. if you can see over the bar they'll serve ya in alot of the pubs and theres a pub every other door, and it is rare people drink in the same pub all night or day anyways down here.

cuddlepop
19-Jun-06, 14:54
It still wont put a stop to under age drinking or sensible drinking.
Apparently its inbread in our culture our inability to be sensible drinkers.How Scottish Exc handle that one is anyone guess.....;)

jay
19-Jun-06, 15:17
won't make any difference in Leith.. if you can see over the bar they'll serve ya in alot of the pubs and theres a pub every other door, and it is rare people drink in the same pub all night or day anyways down here.

Mmmm can see it being a bit of a problem in places like Halkirk, thrumster and Castletown ......... perhaps some young entrepreneur will set up a shuttle bus between village pubs! bar staff need only work for one hour an evening, castletown 6-7pm, halkirk 7-8 etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!!

landmarker
19-Jun-06, 16:22
Is Scotland becoming a nanny state? Does this story have legs?
It barely seems credible.

JAWS
19-Jun-06, 16:54
Well, they managed to convince people that smoking should have severe restrictions placed on it for health reason and put a ban on advertising tobacco products.

They have started spreading health fears about "Junk Food" whatever they may mean by that. They have banned certain meals, snacks and treats from schools on health grounds and people have accepted it as necessary. They either have or are intent on trying to ban the advertising of certain such products at certain times of day.

Are you surprised that they have now started on alcohol? They have spread the story that Binge Drinking is a new phenomenon which must be stopped before it gets out of hand. because it is a serious Health Hazard. (They have obviously forgotten the “Ten o’ Clock Swill) People have always gone out at weekend for as long as I can remember and I’m sure there are people who can remember the same for longer than I can.
It’s coming, soon there will be cries for a complete ban on Alcohol Advertising. Next there will be a “Scare Campaign” about the Health hazards with videos of Sad People moaning that they wished the had never touched the “Demon Drink”.

Politicians love to regulate people’s lives and having seen that they can severely restrict one thing for “people’s own health benefit” they will not be able to resist finding more and more things to do it with, it’s in the nature of the beast.

Certain Politicians have decided that it is their place to fill the gap left by the Tub Thumping Hell Fire and Eternal Damnation Preachers of by gone Centuries.
It’s the new version of “Give up your disgraceful habits! You are Children of the Devil, repent your evil doings or you will be condemned to an early grave for the rest of Eternity!”

And don’t think it can’t happen. In certain parts of Scandinavia buying Alcohol is recorded and if you by too much you are automatically called in and checked to see if you need “Treatment”.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Jun-06, 17:14

the world is going crazy

Quotes, sources, please?

Rheghead
19-Jun-06, 17:57
Most trouble late at night is caused by the younger end of drinkers who haven't a shred of consideration for other people or common sense. This isn't a new phenomenon but arguably it has got worse since corporal has been rescinded to the point of being unbearable. So logically speaking it makes sense to restrict booze to this age group. Life is long enough to enjoy a drink without the major beer companies from exploiting the vulnerable under-21s in society.

To feed a vulnerable group a tonic that makes them more vulnerable makes no sense to me. You wouldn't give a five year old a joint for example, so why give under 21s alcoholic beverages?

In america, they have this law already. The visible difference in their society in relation to young persons is over whelming. No drunkeness or loutish behavior (in fact the joke for them is on us for being so liberal). This is because the under 21s are very susceptible to habit forming behavior. It is well known that if you haven't smoked by 21 you will never pick up a cigarette. The same goes with alcohol. We are also living in a different society to when the 18 rule was brought in. In them days kids grew up faster to be responsible. Now they have too much time and money on their hands and they are getting involved in a viscious circle of binge drinking and the biological and social consequences to all too evident.

Take a trip to any Emergency ward on a weekend and it is packed with young persons getting treated for too much booze, assaults. They are assaulting hospital staff as well. You don't have to go up the hospital, just watch Booze Britain on SKY1 and you will get the picture. The usual are invariably within the 18-21 age group.

I am sure that if this happens then we won't shift the bad behaving age group to the 21-25s because of the neurological maturity and the resistance to habit forming behavior that has taken place in our young people.

Many will complain that we are becoming a Nanny State. This is a good analogy because I am convinced that Nanny of old has been letting the kids run riot as the do-gooder have had her hands tied. The time is nigh to get tough.

Think about all the reduction in crime!

connieb19
19-Jun-06, 18:04
Changeing the drinking age to 21 makes sense but restricting people to 4 drinks in a bar is ridiculous, it will never work. Some people have their local and don't drink in any other bar. Will they only be allowed 4 drinks all day..:confused

jay
19-Jun-06, 18:26
Quotes, sources, please?

today's daily express, believe it was also in one of the sunday papers yesterday - they expect the legislation to take about three years

JAWS
19-Jun-06, 19:00
Young people are considered mature enough to marry at sixteen, to vote at eighteen (suggestion floated of lowering that to sixteen), are able to obtain a Driving Licence at seventeen, can legally own and use shotguns and firearms at seventeen and are, I am constantly assured, maturing at a far earlier age then ever before.

Now there is a suggestion that they should not be allowed to go into a Bar and sip a shandy until they are twenty-one because they are not mature enough. I consider all the first group of things to be of far more consequence to society than the odd lout who over indulges at a weekend.

Surely if young people below the age of twenty-one are too immature to be let loose with a glass of alcohol then they must also be considered to be too immature to be able to make decisions about and also engage in more serious matters.
If that is the case then surely all the age limits should be raised to twenty-one in order to stop immature youngsters making silly decisions and doing silly things which also may be to the detriment and danger of society in general.

theone
19-Jun-06, 22:09
Once again the Scottish Parliament/Executive have shown themselves up as a waste of time and money and in order to make any headlines have to go totally o.t.t.

Binge drinking may well be a problem in Scotland, but lets stop the 14,15,16 and 17 year olds doing it every weekend before we begin to attack the older age groups.

As for a "4 drink rule" whats the point? EVERY Licencee/Publican/Landlord and Barman in Scotland is well aware that selling alcohol to someone who is drunk is illegal. If that can't be enforced what good is another rule????

JAWS
20-Jun-06, 14:17
Once again the Scottish Parliament/Executive have shown themselves up as a waste of time and money and in order to make any headlines have to go totally o.t.t.

Binge drinking may well be a problem in Scotland, but lets stop the 14,15,16 and 17 year olds doing it every weekend before we begin to attack the older age groups.

As for a "4 drink rule" whats the point? EVERY Licencee/Publican/Landlord and Barman in Scotland is well aware that selling alcohol to someone who is drunk is illegal. If that can't be enforced what good is another rule????
Well put, theone. It's a good politicians ploy. Invent a problem, blow it up out of all proportion, do some tinkering around the subject, play the problem down and then claim you have solved the problem which wasn't really there in the first place.

I know Scots like to believe that they can out do England, and there is nothing wrong with that. I can understand the Scottish Parliament wishing to play up to that belief because there is nothing wrong with that either.
That being said, there are certain things where the idea that Scotland can out do England, and certain other places for that matter, are a complete fallacy.

Much as I hate to bruise Scot's Egos I am forced to point out certain uncomfortable facts.
The claim that "Scotland’s Shame" is unique is nothing more than Nationalism gone mad. There are parts of England where Bigotry is just as rife as it is in Scotland, the difference is simply that it is not quite as visible.
Alcohol Abuse is not confined to Scotland, there are places, again in England, where it is just as bad, as is Binge Drinking and Drunken Yobbery.
Knife Crime is no more prevalent in Scotland than in the rest of the UK and Gun Crime is probably far lower.
I won’t mention Football because I’m not that cruel. ;)

If there is one thing that I detest about the Scottish Parliament, apart from the fact that they have so little to do that the Devil makes work for idle hands, is their constant insistence in screaming to the World that Scotland is peopled by the Dregs of Society.

OK, Scotland has it’s problems, but so do many other places. Exaggerating problems in order to invent supposed “solutions” so you can justify having a full time job is simply self-seeking and is not the best way to portray Scotland.
I get the impression that the Executive are creating a smokescreen of solving trivialities to hide the fact that they are doing absolutely nothing about the more important problems facing Scotland, especially when it comes to creating employment opportunities and providing decent Health Care at a local level.

It’s time they were forcibly informed that they are not Nero and this is not Rome.
Waiting until Scotland has burned down is not an option and it’s time for them to get off their back-sides and get on with some real work.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Jun-06, 14:54
4 drinks only!!!Man thats like having your soup and then getting told that ye've had enough and that yer not getting your main course and even worse....yer puddin!!!!

As for the smokin' ban,its been rare going outside and having a blether with fellow smokers o' the nicotine.Ye know whats best,ye even meet a mad orger or 2 on your travels!!!:lol: :lol:

angela5
20-Jun-06, 15:05
Ye know whats best,ye even meet a mad orger or 2 on your travels!!!:lol:

I seen 2 mad orger's this morning, 1 was puffing away on a ciggy.;)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Jun-06, 15:09
I seen 2 mad orger's this morning, 1 was puffing away on a ciggy.;)

That didnae happen to be me and obiron.We thought we were being discreet as well:lol:

angela5
20-Jun-06, 15:12
That didnae happen to be me and obiron.We thought we were being discreet as well:lol:

Discreet!! come on cedric yer no discreet, there is always a puff oh smoke above yer head.:lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Jun-06, 15:17
Discreet!! come on cedric yer no discreet, there is always a puff oh smoke above yer head.:lol:

Thats true!!!:lol: Either that or its too much thinkin' burnin' ma brain out!!