PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Flags.

piratelassie
12-Jun-10, 01:05
Now that the football world cup is under way I wonder how many English fans will fly the Union Flag in ignorance instead of St Georges Flag.

adi1
12-Jun-10, 01:27
Now that the football world cup is under way I wonder how many English fans will fly the Union Flag in ignorance instead of St Georges Flag.

Well Piratelassie you in your ignorance of football can count the union flags I will be watching the football.
Btw there will be less than 10 there :Razz

Gronnuck
12-Jun-10, 08:54

So that's why they have the word 'ENGLAND' printed across the flag of St. George! To remind the England fans what their national flag looks like!:eek:

Thanks for that piratelassie - I realise now it's because the numpties are easily confused. :lol:

Amy-Winehouse
12-Jun-10, 08:59

Ive got a big Union Flag in my shed , It doesnt have England on it Either , I also have a French flag ;) an American flag & 2 Saltires, a rampant lion & a black white & Black flag as well. None of these flags should offend as theres no England or Scotland printed on them Im pleased to say

porshiepoo
12-Jun-10, 09:36
So that's why they have the word 'ENGLAND' printed across the flag of St. George! To remind the England fans what their national flag looks like!:eek:

Thanks for that piratelassie - I realise now it's because the numpties are easily confused.

We may well need reminding too because we don't feel some inadequate need to fly it from our garden year round.

sharona
12-Jun-10, 09:54
we saw scotland get through would the english say any thing wrong about that no because englands through in the world cup any way

adi1
12-Jun-10, 10:17

Thanks for that piratelassie - I realise now it's because the numpties are easily confused. :lol:

To put this silly argument to bed, most England flags at todays game will be a St George's cross, most will have writing on them, it wont say England it will be the place where the bunch of fans are from or the club they support.
There may be one or two Union flags but most will be on the ensign.
If people want to put England on a flag I dont see a problem with it

kmahon2001
12-Jun-10, 11:45

What I want to know is why English teams, in whatever sport, always have "God Save the Queen" played as their National Anthem. Surely that is the National Anthem for the United Kingdom, not any individual country within the UK. Doesn't England have its own National Anthem? Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland don't play "God Save the Queen" for their individual teams, do they?

Why don't England use "Jerusalem" or "There'll Always Be An England"?

Amy-Winehouse
12-Jun-10, 12:31
We may well need reminding too because we don't feel some inadequate need to fly it from our garden year round.

The flag flying isnt just a Lybster thing Porshie, it happens all over the world. Plenty of stars & stripes flown in the gardens of Florida, your just having a moan really arnt you ? ;)

Gronnuck
12-Jun-10, 13:09
If people want to put England on a flag I dont see a problem with it

It just looks so 'chav' :lol:

porshiepoo
12-Jun-10, 14:03
The flag flying isnt just a Lybster thing Porshie, it happens all over the world. Plenty of stars & stripes flown in the gardens of Florida, your just having a moan really arnt you ? ;)

Mebees. :lol:
However flying a United Flag is completely different to what happens here in Scotland.
This country has a United flag also - fly that!

Seriously though we do think it's the most bizarrest thing.

I've never noticed this flag flying anywhere else in Scotland. I'm not suggesting they aren't there just perhaps it's a million squillion times more obvious here.
After witnessing the anti English attitude up here though I have no doubt that the flag flying is some kind of middle finger salute to any passing English.
As an English person I do not feel the need to fly a flag to acknowledge my identity but if I did fly one it would be the Union Jack.

porshiepoo
12-Jun-10, 14:04

Ah, but we can afford to be chavvy. We're in the World cup.
At least for now anyways ;)

northener
12-Jun-10, 15:33
Whats all this weird crap about flying flags?

I couldn't care less who flies what flag. If some narrow-minded numpties have a problem with someone else flying some sort of flag, then I'd suggest said numpties need to think less about their neighbours freedom of expression and more about their own blinkered views.

Me? I've got the battle ensign from the German Imperial Fleet hung up in me shed, I'd like to see the reactions if I flew that off me chimbley:Razz

Leanne
12-Jun-10, 15:41
What I want to know is why English teams, in whatever sport, always have "God Save the Queen" played as their National Anthem. Surely that is the National Anthem for the United Kingdom, not any individual country within the UK. Doesn't England have its own National Anthem? Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland don't play "God Save the Queen" for their individual teams, do they?

Because the countries hosting the 'games' always get it wrong...

Why does football segregate but the Olympics integrate? The beautiful game has got a lot to answer for! We should be rooting for our closest neighbours not using it as an excuse for thinly disguised racism.

Bazeye
12-Jun-10, 16:40

Since when has Jerusalem been in England?

Bazeye
12-Jun-10, 16:45

How many Rangers fans fly it instead of the Saltire?
And to show no bias how many Celtic fans fly the Tricolour instead of the Saltire? if youre gonna have a whinge at the English I suggest you get your own house in order first. Btw you wont see many Union flags in South Africa.

upolian
12-Jun-10, 16:48
Only thing i was flying yesterday was pink bunny ears with blue led flashing lights,the joys of alcohol :lol::lol:

Bazeye
12-Jun-10, 16:54

Like this? :lol:

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu289/neilb19_2009/bonnie-scotland-flag-1603-p.gif

scorrie
12-Jun-10, 17:20
Plenty of stars & stripes flown in the gardens of Florida,

There is a large Stars and Stripes flying proudly atop a large flag pole in a garden across from Lidl's today!!

Gronnuck
12-Jun-10, 17:27
Like this? :lol:

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu289/neilb19_2009/bonnie-scotland-flag-1603-p.gif

Thanks for that Bazeye - the MacChavvies are just as bad ;)

Amy-Winehouse
12-Jun-10, 17:53
There is a large Stars and Stripes flying proudly atop a large flag pole in a garden across from Lidl's today!!

Haha he usually has a Saltire or Rampant Lion flying. A top bloke too & very proud of his country- nowt wrong with that

bluechesse
12-Jun-10, 18:27

You know something, Im pretty sure this is the second thread where you have used the word "inadequate" in reference to Scots.
In both threads you have expressed your disgust at what you see as anti English behavour from Scottish people, and I do realise that you are not directly calling the Scottish race inadequate, but, to be perfectly honest, having read all your posts in both threads, I think your almost in danger of putting across an anti Scottish vibe!

Im sure this wasn't your intent, but for someone who couldn't give a stuff about the football, you've certainly managed to mention the fact that Scotland have not qualified, Have never won it, Will never win it in your life time etc etc plenty of times.

If you are going to complain about anti English comments etc, I'd say it best to make sure your absolutley squeeky clean first.

Sorry to single you out in particular, I suppose its not fair and hopefully this wont be construed as some form of cyber bullying, but to me, it stands out like Peter Crouch next to Jermain Defoe!

Im off to hide behind my sofa now till the backlash dies down....[lol]

Mik.M.
12-Jun-10, 20:50
Whats all this weird crap about flying flag

Me? I've got the battle ensign from the German Imperial Fleet hung up in me shed, I'd like to see the reactions if I flew that off me chimbley:Razz
Do it Mr N,tomorrow afternoon would be most preferable. Mik.:lol:

Leanne
12-Jun-10, 22:52
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/saltire/images/unionjack.gif

Edit - not exactly sure how Wales fits into it all?????

piratelassie
13-Jun-10, 00:43
Whats all this weird crap about flying flags?

I couldn't care less who flies what flag. If some narrow-minded numpties have a problem with someone else flying some sort of flag, then I'd suggest said numpties need to think less about their neighbours freedom of expression and more about their own blinkered views.

This so called numptie gets a bit annoyed and a little frustrated when foreign countries and even some governments refer to, for instance,the Brittish armed forces as English armed forces. For proof just read some WW2 history books. Refering to the union flag as the flag of England does not help.

mozimo
13-Jun-10, 01:06
Why does football segregate but the Olympics integrate? The beautiful game has got a lot to answer for! We should be rooting for our closest neighbours not using it as an excuse for thinly disguised racism.
Yes Yes Yes and Yes

And to OP: living in the very heart of english englandshire I have not seen a single union Jack. Not one...

crayola
13-Jun-10, 01:10
Because the countries hosting the 'games' always get it wrong...

Why does football segregate but the Olympics integrate? The beautiful game has got a lot to answer for! We should be rooting for our closest neighbours not using it as an excuse for thinly disguised racism.Well if you're English and you claim you should be rooting for your closest neighbours I shall join you in a chorus of Allez France!

kmahon2001
13-Jun-10, 08:00
Well if you're English and you claim you should be rooting for your closest neighbours I shall join you in a chorus of Allez France!

Oh please, anything but the French. :roll: Besides, France isn't England's nearest neighbour. England and France are separated by a channel 20-odd miles wide, whereas England is actually joined to Wales and Scotland by land. Simply moving a fraction of an inch either way you can cross a border between these great countries of ours.

kmahon2001
13-Jun-10, 08:08

Sadly, as I understand it, the Welsh flag doesn't form any part of the Union Flag. Apparently Wales was considered part of England at the time. In many ways Wales has much more to hold against England than Scotland does. Wales is all too often forgotten in the fight for individual recognition of the various parts of the United Kingdom.

golach
13-Jun-10, 08:44

Wales has never been a independant country, it has always been a Principality, so that is why it does not figure on the National Flag.

ducati
13-Jun-10, 09:04
Sadly, as I understand it, the Welsh flag doesn't form any part of the Union Flag. Apparently Wales was considered part of England at the time. In many ways Wales has much more to hold against England than Scotland does. Wales is all too often forgotten in the fight for individual recognition of the various parts of the United Kingdom.

How about a loverly big red Dragon on the middle of it. I always thought the union flag wasn't fussy enough :lol:

Amy-Winehouse
13-Jun-10, 10:34
How about a loverly big red Dragon on the middle of it. I always thought the union flag wasn't fussy enough :lol:

How about No. The Union flag is fine the way it is

crayola
13-Jun-10, 12:11
Oh please, anything but the French. :roll: Besides, France isn't England's nearest neighbour. England and France are separated by a channel 20-odd miles wide, whereas England is actually joined to Wales and Scotland by land. Simply moving a fraction of an inch either way you can cross a border between these great countries of ours.Ok you support Scotland and Wales in the World Cup finals in South Africa and I'll support France and let's see who's right. :lol:

highland red
13-Jun-10, 12:28

Get a life.

bettedaviseyes
13-Jun-10, 12:35
if english fans want to fly there flag good on them :roll: c'mon england :lol:

piratelassie
13-Jun-10, 20:48
Get a life.
if your nationality is not important to you then what is.

Amy-Winehouse
14-Jun-10, 10:46

What about this masterpiece ???

http://i49.tinypic.com/25kl7yf.jpg

The Drunken Duck
14-Jun-10, 12:53
What about this masterpiece ???

http://i49.tinypic.com/25kl7yf.jpg

An English flag with England written on it is just stating the country name for those unfamiliar with it.

A Scottish flag with Bonnie Scotland written on it is simply stating a well known fact.

Not the same thing !!

:D

Invisible
14-Jun-10, 13:29
Ive got a big Union Flag in my shed , It doesnt have England on it Either , I also have a French flag ;) an American flag & 2 Saltires, a rampant lion & a black white & Black flag as well. None of these flags should offend as theres no England or Scotland printed on them Im pleased to say

did you hear that they mistakenly put blue and red on the french flag this year?

Sara Jevo
15-Jun-10, 06:41
I was in England last week.

It was good to see how they've reclaimed their national flag from the fascists and now fly it with pride from their cars etc. The flags were everywhere.

adi1
15-Jun-10, 07:05
I was in England last week.

It was good to see how they've reclaimed their national flag from the fascists and now fly it with pride from their cars etc. The flags were everywhere.

This is the mentality down south now.
Fly the St Georges cross for a few short weeks every four years and its being nationalistic.
Fly it any other time and you are labelled a fascist!!

Bazeye
15-Jun-10, 10:47
Im a fascist then.

Crackeday
15-Jun-10, 15:07
It annoys me that flying your own countries flag can be rascist.
Cant see the prob with flying your nations flag cos after all its YOUR country and YOUR flag!!!!.
[evil]

Sara Jevo
15-Jun-10, 17:26
I hope my post wasn't misinterpreted.

For a long time, the St George's Cross seemed to be associated with the National Front.

English people tended to use the Union flag instead of their own.

Now it seems to be the other way round.

The ordinary English are happy to fly the St George's Cross, while the fascists in the BNP wave the Union flag.

adi1
15-Jun-10, 17:37

For a long time, the St George's Cross seemed to be associated with the National Front.

The ordinary English are happy to fly the St George's Cross, while the fascists in the BNP wave the Union flag.

What silly nonsense again
The BNP is the BRITISH National Party hence they use the Union flag.
Whilst overs like the EDL ENGLISH defence league use a St Georges cross,
Where is your proof that The National Front associated themselves with the St Georges Cross?
Once again another good thread hi-jacked by the loonie left!!

Sara Jevo
15-Jun-10, 20:15
Once again another good thread hi-jacked by the loonie left!!

Gee, thanks!

It's a perception, an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Forgive me, that's what I thought this forum was about.

Perhaps it is only meant for people you find agreeable?

It's sad you consider me a lunatic because I offer an opinion you disagree with.

Where's my evidence?

Google it.

http://www.freelance-photography.com/images/pj/pj_2.jpg

Bazeye
15-Jun-10, 21:39

The National Front was not associated with the St Georges Cross it was the Union Flag.. The BNP arent associated with either, maybe C18 or Column 88 or some other extreme organisation are and youre getting them mixed up.

adi1
15-Jun-10, 21:52
Gee, thanks!

It's a perception, an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Forgive me, that's what I thought this forum was about.

Perhaps it is only meant for people you find agreeable?

It's sad you consider me a lunatic because I offer an opinion you disagree with.

Where's my evidence?

Google it.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.