PDA

View Full Version : Alliance & Fester

Phill
11-Jun-10, 21:38
Some time ago we opened a bank account with the Alliance & Leicester. Initially thing seemed fine and then they screwed up direct debits and other things so we told them to shove it, as you do.

I wrote them a very polite letter telling them to close the account. We reverted everything back to our previous account as we had not closed it yet, thankfully.

So, a month or so after I got a statement, not surprisingly it was near nil balance however it had a footnote telling me because I hadn't paid in £XXX they were going to charge me £XX next month!

I called their fantastic call centre, we chatted, as you do, and they promised to get the account closed and stop any charges etc. etc. etc.

All fine and ticketyboo now!
Right..........

The next month statement arrives...........overdrawn and more charges to be applied.
So I called the call centre and we chatted but they didn't seem to understand my being somewhat disapproving of their error. They put the phone down on me!
I called them back, we chatted and they understood this time why I was not amused, they promised an investigation & the account to be closed.

Next month statement arrives showing charges removed...yeay! Then new charges applied and new overdrawn balance.

I called, we chatted. I writes them a nice letter, they reply with a nice letter and promise to close a/c refund charges etc. etc.

Statement arrives, charges, etc. etc.
This went on from October until May when they sent me a letter where they tried to get a bit heavy and threatening and said they were gonna go legal.

Wowsers! They gave me 10 days or so to pay up £400 odd quid.
This letter arrived on the Monday, Tuesday morning my reply was in the post to them and their Chairman, Lord somebody, several Spaniards from Santander and a few other directors.

My letter demanded a phonecall from them by 5pm Wednesday explaining how they managed to screw up in spectacular fashion and what they were going to do about it.

Wed' 5.10pm.....dribbling apology from high level manager from Santander. I told them I was busy and to call me back in the morning, she did.
More dribbling apology, £50 and a hamper.

In summary, their hampers are crap and I'm waiting on this months statement.......

Connor.
11-Jun-10, 22:10
Quite right of you to be harsh in your last letter. It's ridiculous when you've waited this long and still nothing is being done with it.

northener
11-Jun-10, 22:47
Never mind that, Phill - what was in the hamper?

wifie
11-Jun-10, 22:52
Aye! Service a thing of the past! Call centres? I spit on them!!!

Northener yer a nosey git! :Razz Phill, what was in the hamper?

Phill
11-Jun-10, 23:06
You really don't don't know how gutted I was about the hamper. :~(

During the lengthy conversation I had with the gimp from Santander I told her how the company should be run and just how bitterly disappointed and let down I was etc. etc.
During this she offered me the £50 and I um'd and arr'd, and like a dozy pillock I said it's not about the money......so she said she'd send me a hamper...Oooooh!! I luuurrrvve hampers!!!

I was thinkin' Fortnum & Mason, Champagne, Wild Smoked Salmon, Darjeeling tea, Organic Stilton, Rose Petal Jelly, Foie Gras, Champagne Truffles and of course a fine wicker basket.

northener
11-Jun-10, 23:22
You really don't don't know how gutted I was about the hamper. :~(

During the lengthy conversation I had with the gimp from Santander I told her how the company should be run and just how bitterly disappointed and let down I was etc. etc.
During this she offered me the £50 and I um'd and arr'd, and like a dozy pillock I said it's not about the money......so she said she'd send me a hamper...Oooooh!! I luuurrrvve hampers!!!

I was thinkin' Fortnum & Mason, Champagne, Wild Smoked Salmon, Darjeeling tea, Organic Stilton, Rose Petal Jelly, Foie Gras, Champagne Truffles and of course a fine wicker basket.

So what wa sin the bloody hamper then? Stop arsing about - I'm hungry:(.

wifie
11-Jun-10, 23:23
So what wa sin the bloody hamper then? Stop arsing about - I'm hungry:(.

Aye, he is teasing us! [disgust]

Phill
11-Jun-10, 23:35
It didnae come in a wicker basket!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Need I say more??

wifie
11-Jun-10, 23:38
It didnae come in a wicker basket!!! :eek::eek:

Need I say more??

OK - so it was a carboard box - what was in it? :roll:

Phill
11-Jun-10, 23:54
Corr blimey!!!!

What is it wiv yoos??

What do yer wanna know?

wifie
12-Jun-10, 00:06
Corr blimey!!!!

What is it wiv yoos??

What do yer wanna know?

Err, emmm, I am choost askin for Northener! :o

and winding you up too! hehe

laguna2
12-Jun-10, 05:56
WHAT WAS IN THE HAMPER ...................I am just asking for wifie you understand ;)

flash
12-Jun-10, 06:36
Sod wifie. I need to know too. What was in the hamper

ducati
12-Jun-10, 07:01
Alright let's guess:

6 pack of Tennents, 3 Mars bars and a multipack of McCoys crisps.

(from Fortnum and Mason's new Sauchiehall Street branch) :lol:

The Angel Of Death
12-Jun-10, 08:22
Alright let's guess:

If that was the hamper i bet it came in a plastic carrier bag instead of a box

But all things considered you could do worse than a hamper like that :)

northener
12-Jun-10, 09:11
HAMPER!!! WHAT WAS IN IT!!!!

My life has come to a standstill, I must know what was in the hamper!

Ooooh.....I'm stamping my tiny little feet here.

Was there any caviar? Or posh marmalade?

Pike terrine? Asda baked beans? Spam? Grilled Ocelot?

Phill
12-Jun-10, 09:18
Alright let's guess:

That would have been a far better Hamper!!!!!

horseman
12-Jun-10, 09:54
Couple of cod suppers an some crisps.!

wifie
12-Jun-10, 10:54
Sod wifie. I need to know too. What was in the hamper

I beg yer pardon!!! [evil]

PS I know now so :Razz

Leanne
12-Jun-10, 12:33
I neeed to know now too!

Scunner
12-Jun-10, 12:57
An England World Cup t-shirt

ss.sv650
12-Jun-10, 13:05
oh come on wot woz in the damm thing !!!!

or is this thread gonna go on as long as the day walkers in portgower one!!

Mr P Cannop
12-Jun-10, 13:23
oh come on wot woz in the damm thing !!!!

or is this thread gonna go on as long as the day walkers in portgower one!!

aye i agree

Phill
12-Jun-10, 14:13
It was only a bliddy hamper.....and not a good one at that!

Welcomefamily
12-Jun-10, 15:18
Marmalade, dried onions and serrano ham?

northener
12-Jun-10, 15:37
I reckon it was a Fortnum and Masons 'Grand Colonial Expedition' hamper. Huge, exquisite and splendid in it's scope.

Phills just bragging.

I bet there was 'Gentlemens Relish'.

pat
12-Jun-10, 16:42
it will be a box of freebies from A&L/Santander - stuff they cannot give away to their customers who have not left due to the horrendous service.

When moved several years ago sent a letter to everyone with account nos, names etc, old address, new address and telephone nos - everyone changed contact details other than A&L.
Two years of continual trying - writing, telephone, emails, they continujed to say they were changing the contact information, then they said had to go into office to change info. Advised as there was such bad communication and nearest branch was a 3 hour ferry trip and a one hour drive to get there the next time on the Mainland would no longer be dealing with A&L, take money elsewhere where custom and money was wanted and cared about.
They continue to write with offers - it is their money they are wasting in paper and postage on a useless attempt to win back ex investors who have completely lost faith in their ability to organise a booze up in a brewery.

Alice in Blunderland
12-Jun-10, 17:40
Och folkies hes just like a bairn looking for attention :lol: ...........If we stop asking him and ignore him for a while he will tell us........................... :Razz

If not we could always pull out the trebuchet............that will teach him !!! ;)

upolian
12-Jun-10, 17:41
Och folkies hes just like a bairn looking for attention :lol: ...........If we stop asking him and ignore him for a while he will tell us........................... :Razz

If not we could always pull out the trebuchet............that will teach him !!! ;)

hahahahaha

John Little
12-Jun-10, 17:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9LG96_fzYw

:lol:

veekay
12-Jun-10, 17:50
Lost the plot with them yesterday. I only wanted to pay some money into my account, it was change and only six bags of it but ( you knew there would be a but) because the bags didn't have the exact amount in them £19 one pound coins not 20, £7.50 -50pence not £10 etc. they wouldn't accept it and they would only have taken five bags if they had the correct coinage in them. Do all banks take this stance?

Leanne
12-Jun-10, 18:15
Lost the plot with them yesterday. I only wanted to pay some money into my account, it was change and only six bags of it but ( you knew there would be a but) because the bags didn't have the exact amount in them £19 one pound coins not 20, £7.50 -50pence not £10 etc. they wouldn't accept it and they would only have taken five bags if they had the correct coinage in them. Do all banks take this stance?

You're actually lucky they would take it - most will charge for for changing coinage...

Best place to take it is to local pubs/shops - they have to pay for their floats for the tills. Most will happily change it for you :)

bluechesse
12-Jun-10, 18:41
Never mind what was in the hamper, I want to know how much the hamper cost! How much coin did Santander spend on this hamper?

I suppose we'll fine out next month, when his statement arrives. It will be on there, plus interest of course.....[lol]

Phill
13-Jun-10, 11:03
How much coin did Santander spend on this hamper?

£37.00!!

37 quid, the cheeky gits. When they said hamper I was thinking......
http://www.fortnumandmason.com/Client/fortnums/images/products/979132_EL.jpg

and what did I get......

Phill
29-Jun-10, 23:28
Aaahhh, Alliance and Leicester.

Yes, I got another statement this month....any surprises there?
However this month it was all just refunds, no charges.

A credit balance no less, and they have sent me a cheque for that balance, £55. Duly banked elsewhere of course.

And the hamper.....
http://www.simplythankyou.com/prod_images/largeproduct/st30875.gif

Really. (http://www.simplythankyou.com/detail.php?productid=ST30875&proddesc=The+Wine+%2526+Dip+Hamper&supercategory=CAT01621&branch=&wcategory=CAT01621&catdesc=Hampers&super=0020CAT01621&treecode=NULL) That is not a hamper.

ducati
30-Jun-10, 06:12
Hmmm......Dip :lol: