PDA

View Full Version : events at groats

puffin croft
10-Jun-10, 19:05
does anyone know if all the cars,tents,lorrys etc in the field near the harbour at groats is just for this cycle race on saturday? it must be a very big race? does anyone know anything about it? also is it the vintage car rally here this sunday?

Boozeburglar
10-Jun-10, 19:08
I knew I should have put that Rockness sign back the right way round. ;)

What cycle race is on?

Kodiak
10-Jun-10, 19:21
On Sunday 13th June it is the John O'Groats Annual Rally, 12 Noon to 5 pm. Admission £3.00 with free parking. This was in the Courier Yesterday. So this could be whay all the Cars etc are there now.

groater
10-Jun-10, 19:30
between 500 and 600 cyclists leaving groats this sat morning all being catered for in tented village in feilds on way down to harbour

Boozeburglar
10-Jun-10, 19:32
Cool, where are they heading?

groater
10-Jun-10, 19:35
out west way i think to start with then down to Lands End

Boozeburglar
10-Jun-10, 19:43
That will be some sight! I might try and catch them out West. If the weather is good for the drive. Thanks for the heads up. :)

groater
10-Jun-10, 19:46
well worth a look out to see the set up they have

octane
10-Jun-10, 21:01
That will be some sight! I might try and catch them out West. If the weather is good for the drive. Thanks for the heads up. :)

LOL......your brave trying to negotiate past up to 600 cyclists on a small rural road....

The camp at groats is one of 3 , so when the cyclists reach there 1st checkpoint they have another camp setup. Then the one at groats is then moved onto checkpoint 4, and so on.

Quite a massive operation and must be costing a lot of money from a logistical point of view. The budget for food was around 80k I was told at groats today so not sure if he meant per stop off or for the whole trip.

This must be the largest North to south roadtrip Groats has encountered unless anyone can recall a larger gathering.

puffin croft
10-Jun-10, 22:11
thanks for all the info orgers!

groater
10-Jun-10, 22:18
good luck to them its taken about four days to set up groats?

Loraine
10-Jun-10, 23:37
In the paper it said they leave at 8am from John o' Groats, en masse, then head over to Reay Hall for their first pit-stop, then Altnaharra Hotel - that gives you an idea of the direction they're headed in. Look out for the congestion in Thurso!! :lol::eek:

rhoda
11-Jun-10, 00:48
The last big north to south event would probably have been the Butlin's walk back in the 60's with the famous Dr Barbara Moore.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
11-Jun-10, 06:31
out west way i think to start with then down to Lands End

well I know how happy that will make Sandy happy if he meets them on the road with the MAN!!

Mik.M.
11-Jun-10, 07:28
Wonder if the old man in the green jeep at Murkle will be out when they come through?:lol:

achingale
11-Jun-10, 10:50
I knew I should have put that Rockness sign back the right way round. ;)

What a brilliant idea? Why do we not have our own Rockness - or Rock Caithness? Or whatever. It would be fantastic fun and be good for the local ecomony. It could be the event of the year.... :D

changilass
11-Jun-10, 21:47
Wonder if the old man in tlhe green jeep at Murkle will be out when they come through?:lol:

Hope not Mik, that will seriously slow the whole event down.

They would be lucky to get to Reay in time for bed.:lol:

flowertot
12-Jun-10, 08:29
Anybody know if these guys are on the road yet? They taking the Dounreay road or the back road past Westfield to Reay?

octane
12-Jun-10, 10:24
http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/route.aspx

flowertot
12-Jun-10, 11:33
Saw that on their website but it didn' specify which way they were planning to go. i tyook a guess it would be the back road via Westfield as per the sport relief cyclists a wee while back. I was right met probably hundreds of them on road.

south view 7
12-Jun-10, 19:14
The last big north to south event would probably have been the Butlin's walk back in the 60's with the famous Dr Barbara Moore.
In march 1960 over 700 set out to attempt to walk to lands end,138 completed the course.