PDA

View Full Version : At school with me?

John Little
10-Jun-10, 18:27
So far I have not come across a single person I was at school with- so this may be one of the shortest threads on record.
But I have to ask the question.

I started at the West Public in 1958 and went on to the Miller Academy where I was until 1963 when my parents made the really baaaaaaaad decision that they had to leave Thurso.

They thought my dad's health was suffering from the cold winters - my mother knows different now and says that Thurso was the best place she ever lived where she had more fun than anywhere else she lived.

Obviously one should not name names but you have my years now - so I ask all please - is there anyone out there who knew me at school? Or do your mum or dad?

Like a footprint on the moon I look for an old trod I once knew.... just nostalgia.
Just being human - and it is allowed I think to wallow a little in the past.

cazmanian_minx
10-Jun-10, 19:06
OH says you might have known his eldest brother, Glenn Jones - you'd have been at Miller Academy at the same time, but not necessarily the same year.

John Little
10-Jun-10, 19:28
The name does not ring a bell I'm afraid - but there was a Davey Jones.....

trinkie
10-Jun-10, 19:34
Try a wider field -

Boy Scouts,
Boys' Brigade
Sunday School
Football team
Do you have a school photo?
where you liked to play... etc etc.

Good luck

John Little
10-Jun-10, 21:23
Do you have a school photo?

Ah - now that is easy!

http://www.caithness.org/schooldays/milleracademy/1962/milleracademycentenary1962b.htm

Second row from back
4th boy from your left - in the white jerkin is me.

trix
10-Jun-10, 21:39
awww....a bonnie biygee :lol:

John Little
10-Jun-10, 21:42
Good grief Trix - that takes me back - as I remarked to another Orger. Do the kids still call each other Biygie? We all did!

trix
10-Jun-10, 22:01
Do the kids still call each other Biygie?!

an' lascies ;)

John Little
10-Jun-10, 22:10
LOL! An lascies too!

I've just realised that is Mina Villa behind us.
That was demolished years ago.

What a pity - it was a fine big house.

im behind you
10-Jun-10, 22:46
my god john little is this really you.

highlander
10-Jun-10, 23:13
Have you looked at the schools section on here, there are loads of pictures of millar in it

poppett
10-Jun-10, 23:22
1962 Miller Acedemy centenary - Photo "J" 6th from left on the 2nd row from the front c`est moi.

John Little
11-Jun-10, 06:24
Ah - someone I was at school with Poppet!. I actually do remember your name which is not bad for age 9. And there's a couple of lads in there whose names and faces I recall.

On picture B which was my class, I remember quite a few names and faces but not all. I wonder if I can tag that photo?

my god john little is this really you.

Yep- that's me!
I don't look like that now! :(

But how about this one?

http://www.caithness.org/schooldays/milleracademy/1960/milleracademycentenary1960a.htm

The great 7 year old gowk in the middle of the back row who had taken a pair of scissors to his own hair and got his lugs boxed for doing so! I remember that - and never did it again.
Not so much hair these days either.

My wife does not mind the hair but wonders why the photographer took the photo with us all squinting into the sun.

porshiepoo
11-Jun-10, 09:04
My wife does not mind the hair but wonders why the photographer took the photo with us all squinting into the sun.[/QUOTE]

Future evidence that we do actually get some up here. lol

cazmanian_minx
11-Jun-10, 16:16
The name does not ring a bell I'm afraid - but there was a Davey Jones.....

No, that's not one of his clan - there are four of them, Glenn, Ian, Martin and Mike Jones (oldest to youngest!) Hope you find some of your friends :)

highlander
11-Jun-10, 16:24
Ah - someone I was at school with Poppet!. I actually do remember your name which is not bad for age 9. And there's a couple of lads in there whose names and faces I recall.

On picture B which was my class, I remember quite a few names and faces but not all. I wonder if I can tag that photo?

Yep- that's me!
I don't look like that now! :(

But how about this one?

http://www.caithness.org/schooldays/milleracademy/1960/milleracademycentenary1960a.htm

The great 7 year old gowk in the middle of the back row who had taken a pair of scissors to his own hair and got his lugs boxed for doing so! I remember that - and never did it again.
Not so much hair these days either.

My wife does not mind the hair but wonders why the photographer took the photo with us all squinting into the sun.

On miller picture B 1960
Back row end on the right is derek sutherland
6th middle row ......? rosie lived in springpark
8th middle row......? farquar (wrong spelling) springpark
2nd row 3rd from the right...... linda cameron
1st row 3rd right ..... terry jones

highlander
11-Jun-10, 16:42
John if you do a search for "shops in Thurso" this might bring back lots of fun memories

John Little
11-Jun-10, 20:00
I will do that - thankyou for all your help with this- amazing stuff by pm!!.
I think that's Douglas Allen 3rd from right back row.... things creep back as I look at it now.

And where is Kenny Lee? My best friend at the time whose face I cannot recall. Time is a great fool.

John Little
12-Jun-10, 16:19
I was also in the video on telly a few years ago about Dounreay. They showed some film of the Miller playground. That's me slightly to the right of centre looking directly at camera though I have no memory of it.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/johnlittle21/Picturenaiwed2022.jpg

trix
13-Jun-10, 05:05
ye looked a recht happy bairn, john :D

John Little
13-Jun-10, 07:21
Yes - I was happy in Thurso - it was a place I swam in like a fish, and in many ways it still feels like coming home whenever I visit, even though I left so long ago.