PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher of Saltoun.

John Little
09-Jun-10, 22:12
So I read about this man.

Of course I was taught some Scottish history when in primary school - but never of this man who stood resolute against an incorporating union with England, but who wanted a federal union to preserve the nationality and character of the Scottish nation.

I learn (David Daiches "Charles Edward Stuart") that the majority of Scots thought a Federal union desirable, but that they rioted and demonstrated against the incorporating union.

And that despite the manifest will of the majority the Scottish MPs still voted on 17 January 1707 by 110 to 68 for an incorporating union.

And of this in our school history textbooks - nothing.

And where is the feature film that shows this guy in action - who appears to have integrity written through him as a stick of rock?

Perhaps Andrew Fletcher of Saltoun is an inconvenient hero because he wanted any form of union at all.

But I find him admirable.....................

of course Scottish historians may point me otherwise....???

ducati
09-Jun-10, 22:17
Is that 'Lucky' Fletcher who was killed in a cave by Robert the Bruce here abouts? :lol:

John Little
09-Jun-10, 22:19
LOL! You funny man!

Nah - Bruce killed a spider called Fletcher....

golach
09-Jun-10, 22:23
Another story you may not have seen in you history books John.

The story of the first Duke of Queensbury and what happend to his family on the night he and other Scottish Dukes sold off Scotland heritage for a handful of silver provided by the English spy Daniel Defoe, yes he of Robinson Crusoe fame.

http://edinburghsdarkside.blogspot.com/2006/07/edinburgh-cannibal.html

John Little
09-Jun-10, 22:27
Oh I like that! I shall tell that one - what a juicy little tale.

Yes Defoe is in this book too.

I think they should have called James lll home. Fascinating stuff I am reading - Daiches writes well - but Fletcher would be admirable in any nation.

Bazeye
09-Jun-10, 22:46
Read something once about a man in Edinburgh or Glasgow, cant remember, who was sentenced to hang but the hangman died before his execution so he was given a reprieve on the proviso that he became the new hangman. Anyone enlighten me any more?

rich
10-Jun-10, 00:44
Oh I like that! I shall tell that one - what a juicy little tale.

Yes Defoe is in this book too.

I think they should have called James lll home. Fascinating stuff I am reading - Daiches writes well - but Fletcher would be admirable in any nation.

The removal may have been tricky as James III had been dead for a number of years before the joint monarchy which sent James VI to England in 1603.

(I believe he may have blown himself up with a cannon)

rich
10-Jun-10, 00:50
John Little if you read no-one else on scotland read Boswell.

He is one of our great contemporaries.

The assembling of his papers is one of the great historical detective stories of all time.

Nobody contributed more to the reassement (reivention!) of Boswell than the late great Dr. Pottle of Yale University)Look him up!

Kenn
10-Jun-10, 01:11
The further I delve into Scot's history the more I become intrigued.
Why were we not taught this is school instead of all the boring stuff about The British Empire, The Industrial Revolution and all that other dross?
As a non Scot I have to admit that until the last few years my eyes were blinkered by what went on in this country but am trying to make up for the ommissions now.
(Cowers in corner as I think I jist speilt 'at wrong!)

John Little
10-Jun-10, 06:44
The removal may have been tricky as James III had been dead for a number of years before the joint monarchy which sent James VI to England in 1603.

(I believe he may have blown himself up with a cannon)

The son of James ll of England and Vll of Scotland was referred to in France and Rome as James lll. The English called him 'The Old Pretender'

But after the Act of Union 1707 apparently he preferred James lll

But I have read some Boswell.