PDA

View Full Version : The universe cannot be expanding.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 15:56
Can anyone tell me why the public at large should acquiesce to the co-option of our language?

davem
09-Jun-10, 15:59
Nope not really - what was the question?

rich
09-Jun-10, 16:12
Boozeburglar, the attached material about the expanding universe, combined with the content on the right nav bar should answer your questions.

I quite envy you reading this stuff for the first time.

And if you find astornomy to be fascinating there is equally mind-blowing material to be found in geology. (Try some John McFee or a wonderful book by Simon Winchester on the San Francisco quake of 1906 - I think it is called a crack at the end of the world.) Greatr summer reading!

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 16:15
Rich,

Thanks and all that, but it is nothing to do with reading anything for the first time.

I am questioning the use of language.

:)

rich
09-Jun-10, 16:36
The language around the Big Bang can be tricky but surely that's due to the subject matter!

Metalattakk
09-Jun-10, 16:45
Rich,

Thanks and all that, but it is nothing to do with reading anything for the first time.

I am questioning the use of language.

expand verb (expanded, expanding) 1 tr & intr to make or become greater in size, extent or importance. 2 intrans, formal to become more at ease or more open and talkative. 3 tr & intr, formal to fold out flat or spread out. 4 to write something out in full. 5 math to multiply out (terms in brackets).Aye it can.

rich
09-Jun-10, 16:51
It's number one! Definitely!!

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 16:57
So I take it you have decided I am unaware of the general meaning of expanding?

I certainly am aware of the meaning of universe.

Metalattakk
09-Jun-10, 17:00
Goodness, I couldn't possibly decide what you are or are not unaware of.

Even you couldn't do that. :)

George Brims
09-Jun-10, 17:01
And why can't it be expanding? Because you don't like the idea, or because you think (I'm basing this on your comments about language) that the phenomenon isn't being described properly? I'm not being snarky here; I'm just trying to figure out what your issue is.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 17:04
I am basing my response on your decision to quote a dictionary.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 17:16
And why can't it be expanding? Because you don't like the idea, or because you think (I'm basing this on your comments about language) that the phenomenon isn't being described properly? I'm not being snarky here; I'm just trying to figure out what your issue is.

By definition it cannot be expanding. Bang on. Not really an issue for me. The degeneration of our language may be an issue.

Metalattakk
09-Jun-10, 17:21
What's the question again?

Edit: Ah, pedantry and semantics. "I see", said the blind man.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 17:41
The broad acceptance and understanding of concepts is dependent on broad concurrence in the understanding of terms used to describe them.

Gronnuck
09-Jun-10, 19:11
Universe is the name given to all known Matter and Space.

Thus Universe is.

It cannot expand – but our knowledge of it can. Our knowledge of Universe is expanding all the time as is our knowledge of any movement within ‘the’ universe.

simples*;)

rich
09-Jun-10, 20:25
Look up!

Look up!

George Brims
09-Jun-10, 21:10
By definition it cannot be expanding. Bang on. Not really an issue for me. The degeneration of our language may be an issue.
By what definition? Point yer binoculars in any direction on a dark night, and you will see galaxies that are receding into the far distance at massive speeds. The Universe IS expanding.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 21:17
George,

I am in agreement about the expansion, etc.

I just disagree about co-opting the term universe. It is a lazy short hand in my opinion, and impedes clarity.

ducati
09-Jun-10, 22:21
Well as it has taken 18 posts to get to this stage. I beg to differ. There was nothing wrong with my clarity, Thanks :lol:

Boozeburglar
10-Jun-10, 00:31
Well Duke, what is being referred to is NOT the universe.

Therefore it certainly makes what is being posited unclear.

Alan16
10-Jun-10, 00:57
Evening all. Hi Boozeburglar do you mind saying what you're question is? I didn't follow all of that (perhaps due to tiredness! =])

Boozeburglar
10-Jun-10, 01:03
Hi Alan, nice to hear from you after a long time! How are you getting on with your studies?

I was actually asking a question regarding the change in use of language imposed on us by overbearing concepts.

Hawking is one of the greatest minds of our time, without a doubt, but does a globally fixed concept have to move over and become fluid to allow his theories to have a snappy catch phrase?

Is black the new yellow?