PDA

View Full Version : Naming ceremony

Vistravi
09-Jun-10, 11:10
Does anyone know anywhere that does naming ceremony's? Does anyone know anyone who conducts them?

My partner and I want to have a naming ceremony for our son in the next few months. It has to be on a saturday for his godparents to attend.

If anyone has any information about it up here please let me know.

shamrock2007
09-Jun-10, 11:13
Hi I think (not totally sure) that the registrar can do this, don't think its as restricting now think you could probably have it when or where you want. Its nice to have a special day to look back on, good luck with the organising :D

laguna2
09-Jun-10, 11:19
Not sure about Scotland, but in England the Registrar can officiate at a naming ceremony - and it is really nice. My grandson had his naming ceremony on a Saturday in a hotel.

golach
09-Jun-10, 11:22
Ask Changilass, I attended her sons naming ceremony, last August in the Castletown Hotel, with a few Orgers as well, had a wonderful day

Vistravi
09-Jun-10, 11:22
Cheers golach :)

northener
09-Jun-10, 12:01
You need these people:

http://www.humanism-scotland.org.uk/ceremonies/namings-and-welcomings.html

Specifically:

Kate Buchanan on 01847 895144

She's an excellent Celebrant.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 13:16
Be careful with the bottle, as bairns' heads are pretty soft.

The Happy Humanist
10-Jun-10, 21:58
Thank you, Northener for your kind remarks and for passing on my details.

I love naming ceremonies as they are such happy family days and I know how much I felt the absence of ceremony and celebration when I decided not to have a christening for my own children. Its a lovely way to welcome wee ones into the family. Some adults have had a naming ceremony also.
As Humanists we do not have Godparents of course. People choose different names for the special adults they choose to be there for their child throughout their lives, including Guide parents, supporters, champions, big pals and my own personal favourite..... oddparents.
I would be delighted to chat to anyone interested in a non-religious ceremony for a baby or child or for a family ceremony. Changilass did indeed have a lovely naming for her son and I was really sad that I was away and unable to do it :-(
Maybe next time?:lol: