PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone readin nowadays...

celtic 302
18-Jun-06, 01:16
ive created this thread for 2 reasons. 1. im bored. 2. i was wonderin wat type of books you all reading, and where you get your books from?

pultneytooner
18-Jun-06, 01:27
ive created this thread for 2 reasons. 1. im bored. 2.
was wonderin wat type of books you all reading, and where you get your books from?
1: Lord of the flies, wiliam golding.

celtic 302
18-Jun-06, 01:33
have heard it mentioned, but ive never read it. im in the middle of readin huckleberry somthing or other by mark twain, and a book called the thousandfold thought, by r.scott bakker

Bingobabe
18-Jun-06, 02:23
1: Lord of the flies, wiliam golding.Read it best book i have read in a long time i have also seen the film also worth a watch!!:Razz

Ricco
18-Jun-06, 08:08
I have recently finished Labyrinthe by Kate Mosse and The Last Templar by Raymond Khourey - both excellent books. Nothing on the go at the moment but I am thinking of Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris.

kas
18-Jun-06, 08:51
I have been late in catching on with the whole Da Vinci code thing, so I am reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown at the mo.

orkneylass
18-Jun-06, 09:29
If you have not read them, the Curious Incident of the Dog in the night time, and The Lovely Bones, are both extraodinary, moving and superbly written.

Stinkysocks
18-Jun-06, 10:24
Rebecca by Daphne Du maurier for possibly the 100th time. Recently read Rebeccas tale by Sally Beauman. A sequel to Rebecca. Its beyond bad, and best avoided if you love the original. I'm re reading Rebecca now to help erase Rebeccas tale from my memory.

The lovely Bones was a good book and well worth a read.

Dali
18-Jun-06, 12:09
The Dark Tower series by Steven King on book 5 at the moment .
1st book i wasnt sure if i was going to like it as not the same as other King books i have read. But once i got to the end had to get book 2 and so on. :)

squidge
18-Jun-06, 12:19
If you have not read them, the Curious Incident of the Dog in the night time, and The Lovely Bones, are both extraodinary, moving and superbly written.

I loved the Curious Incident but i didnt like Lovely bones very much

I also read the Dark Tower Serieslast year and enjoyed it mostly. I am now reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and i love it - started it mid may and i am on Book five already. Fantastic!!!! Tons better than the Dark Tower series I would heartily recommend it.

For something light i would recommend Anything by Christopher Brookmyre - scottish writer of slighly far fetched thrillers - very tongue in cheek and fast moving - Sacred art of Stealing, Boiling a Frog, All fun and games til Somebody loses an eye are three i have read recently. Great fun!

airdlass
18-Jun-06, 12:22
Just finished reading Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon for the umpteenth time. Also Angela's Ashes for the second time.

squidge
18-Jun-06, 12:25
Rebecca by Daphne Du maurier for possibly the 100th time. Recently read Rebeccas tale by Sally Beauman. A sequel to Rebecca. Its beyond bad, and best avoided if you love the original. I'm re reading Rebecca now to help erase Rebeccas tale from my memory.

Rebecca is a fabulous book - love it. I havent read Rebecca's take but i did read "Mrs de Winter" by Susan Hill some years ago and enjoyed it very much - thought she caught the bleakness in the style of REbecca very well - try that one Stinkysocks

_Ju_
18-Jun-06, 12:31

Can't agree with you more, Orkney Lass.
Try some Anita Shreve, I think you will enjoy them ( Eden Close was the one that got me onto Shreeve). If you like Historical novels about Scotland and that touch on Caithness, Lewis and Orkney, try Jules Watson's "White mare" and "Dawn Stag"

pops
18-Jun-06, 12:58

im actually in the middle of reading th curious incident of the dog in the night time and enjoyin it so far!

grantyg
18-Jun-06, 13:07
I`m just listening to the audio book of Bill Brysons - short history of nearly everything.
Just finished Dean Koontz - Velocity. Highly recommended! the cover starts like this - If you take this note to the police an old lady will die, if you don`t take this note to the police a blonde school teacher will die - the choice is yours!!!
It is a must read.

On the go at the moment I`m reading the Hungry years all about a mans view on dieting - very real and very good.

We Could start an Org library where we list the books people have and then when requested we either post them (2nd class) or pass them on.
I`ve a few paperbacks I could pop in.

Grant

Tugmistress
18-Jun-06, 13:22
reading a set of books by Kathy Reichs at the moment, pretty heavy going as there is a lot of french and anatomy in them, but great as she is a real life forensic anthropologist.

obiron
18-Jun-06, 14:52
reading the now one rainy day by joan jonker. its a good read. needing something to read so could be due a visit to the library.

caithness-chicky
18-Jun-06, 14:53
I quite enjoyed The Lovely Bones aswell.

At the moment I'm reading Faithless by Karin Slaughter, all her novels that I've read so far have been great if you like crime fiction!

Rheghead
18-Jun-06, 15:16
"The Born-Einstein Letters" by Max Born and Albert Einstein.

Ricco
18-Jun-06, 15:37
Another great read is the trilogy by Bernard Cornwell - Harlequin, Vagabond & Heretic. Brilliant, like so many of his books.

coastown
18-Jun-06, 16:37
just finished A child called it by David Pelzer its a true story ,didnt want to put it down ,dont know if there is a follow up does anyone know

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 16:42
just finished A child called it by David Pelzer its a true story ,didnt want to put it down ,dont know if there is a follow up does anyone knowThere are 2 more books by David Pelzer, The Lost Boy and a Man Named Dave, well worth the read now you've read the first one..:)

Bingobabe
18-Jun-06, 16:58
There are 2 more books by David Pelzer, The Lost Boy and a Man Named Dave, well worth the read now you've read the first one..:)Read both of those books and i have bought the other book david pelzers brother book a brothers journery.

angela5
18-Jun-06, 17:04
'Just a boy' Richard McCann.
'Sickened' Julie Gregory.
'The Kid' Kevin Lewis.

I have read David Pelzer's story and Richard Pelzer's.

Bingobabe
18-Jun-06, 17:18
'Just a boy' Richard McCann.
'Sickened' Julie Gregory.
'The Kid' Kevin Lewis.

I have read David Pelzer's story and Richard Pelzer's.I started reading that book sickened but i found it very drawn out and a bit boring!!!

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 17:19
I started reading that book sickened but i found it very drawn out and a bit boring!!!Me too, I just couldn't read it..:(

Bingobabe
18-Jun-06, 17:25
Me too, I just couldn't read it..:(I just couldnt get into it at all some books you know as soon as you start reading it if there going to good!!Just started reading the da vinci code and i think so far its going to be a good read.

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 17:26
I've just finished Killing For Company by Brian Masters. It was interesting but a bit grueseme..

Bingobabe
18-Jun-06, 17:29
I've just finished Killing For Company by Brian Masters. It was interesting but a bit grueseme..Well i better stay away from that one now im home alone as i may start sleeping with the light on!!!

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 17:31
Well i better stay away from that one now im home alone as i may start sleeping with the light on!!!I did sleep with the light on a few nights while reading it..

Bingobabe
18-Jun-06, 17:33
I did sleep with the light on a few nights while reading it..hehehehehehehhe were ya checking under the bed aswell and in the cupboards.lol

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 17:34
hehehehehehehhe were ya checking under the bed aswell and in the cupboards.lolNo i was too scared to move..lol

Bingobabe
18-Jun-06, 17:36
No i was too scared to move..lolhahahahahha ats right hide under the covers.lol

Stinkysocks
18-Jun-06, 20:09
Rebecca is a fabulous book - love it. I havent read Rebecca's take but i did read "Mrs de Winter" by Susan Hill some years ago and enjoyed it very much - thought she caught the bleakness in the style of REbecca very well - try that one Stinkysocks.

Thanks, I may give it a go sometime.

blondscot
18-Jun-06, 21:04
im reading "Ghost Girl" by Torey Hayden and find it good so far. Dave peltzer has another book out " A tenagers journey" and a self help book wihich is the only one i have not read of his. Other book im reading is Urban Grimshaw and the shed crew but just started that one!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Jun-06, 21:16
1: Lord of the flies, wiliam golding.

Same as Bingobabe,pultneytooner.This book was one o' the first one's I ever read at school.To think that a group o' folk are stuck together and then start fighting wi' one another.Now where have I heard that before?:lol: :lol:

Elenna
18-Jun-06, 23:31
I just picked up a new book at Woolies the other day...The Last Templar, by Raymond Khoury. I presume its some kind of Da Vinci Code spin-off, but it looks interesting in its own right. I was going to start it this weekend, but didn't get time. Has anyone else read it?

Another great read is the trilogy by Bernard Cornwell - Harlequin, Vagabond & Heretic. Brilliant, like so many of his books.

I agree. I delved into the series last winter and really enjoyed them.

sjwahwah
19-Jun-06, 00:44
Scotland: land and power. The Agenda for Land Reform. by Andy Wightman

"In a country of 19 million acres and five million people, a mere 1252 landowners (0.025% of the population) own two-thirds of privately owned rural land.

And it is this manifest inequity in how land has been divided, how its value pocketed, its use so ill-judged, its ownership so carefully protected and defended, and its inhabitants so harshly treated over the centuries that lies at the heart of the land question and its potency as a political issue." -2000

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Jun-06, 01:53
A few on the go just now (depending on my mood and whereabouts):
Drugs And The Party Line - Kevin Williamson
Charles Shultz' autobiography
Elvis: What Happened? - Sonny West, Red West

JAWS
19-Jun-06, 07:00
"The First Circle" Alexander Solzhenitsyn. A story of people living and working in a State of oppression and fear where the price of failure is death from Forced Labour and Starvation.

plutonio
19-Jun-06, 09:49
Almost finished reading 'The last Book you ever read' by local Wick writer Ewan Morrison. It must be one of the worst books i have ever had the misfortune of reading.

dunderheed
19-Jun-06, 12:02
i've got 3 on the go at the moment

"the temple and the lodge" by michael baigent and richard leigh

"mad dog" the rise and fall of johnny adair and ' c' company by david lister and hugh jordan

and finally every second counts" from recovery to victory by lance armstrong

sjwahwah
19-Jun-06, 14:38
"The First Circle" Alexander Solzhenitsyn. A story of people living and working in a State of oppression and fear where the price of failure is death from Forced Labour and Starvation.
A story of reality... love it. ;)

rich
19-Jun-06, 15:42
Alan Furst is an American writer who lives in Paris. He has written a series of novels about espionage and resistence in Europe during the Second World War. WOnderful stuff!

JAWS
19-Jun-06, 16:13
A story of reality... love it. ;)Are you trying to say he did not know what he was writing about?

ice box
19-Jun-06, 16:17
The caithness forum :lol: :lol: there some good reading

sjwahwah
19-Jun-06, 16:49
Are you trying to say he did not know what he was writing about?

no I'm saying he couldn't be more bang on.