PDA

View Full Version : Bad Losers!!

2boyz1girl
08-Jun-10, 22:21
What I think is really sad and disgusting is the way the Wick side booed our Thurso boys on winning their footie tournament at the weekend. When the children (who had been out since 9am) were collecting their trophes they were boo'd very loudly, not just by the children but by their parents too. How sad is that?? I hope they read this and feel bad. No wonder kids don't have confidence these day to take part in things if this kind of thing happens. Terrible. I hope they feel bad for doing this to the kids! Not nice at all.:~(

pegasus
08-Jun-10, 22:49
What I think is really sad and disgusting is the way the Wick side booed our Thurso boys on winning their footie tournament at the weekend. When the children (who had been out since 9am) were collecting their trophes they were boo'd very loudly, not just by the children but by their parents too. How sad is that?? I hope they read this and feel bad. No wonder kids don't have confidence these day to take part in things if this kind of thing happens. Terrible. I hope they feel bad for doing this to the kids! Not nice at all.:~(
what a spiteful bunch :(

Bazeye
08-Jun-10, 22:50
With parents like that is it any wonder some kids end up like they do.

Gronnuck
08-Jun-10, 22:53
Sadly this sort of boorish behaviour is a reflection of how louts bring up their offspring to be even worse louts. [disgust]
There was a time when sportsmanship was paramount in footie and it was considered ‘the beautiful game’, sadly it is no more. :~(

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jun-10, 07:16
Stuck in Wick is punishment enough for them.

fender
09-Jun-10, 07:22
What tournament was this? Well done to the Thurso team.

_Ju_
09-Jun-10, 07:27
It starts in the club itself (at least in Wick)! Those that show a modicum of ability are encouraged. Those that don't have elder brothers/cousins to teach them a little before starting, and thus don't know much or show much ability are ignored. No team spirit is developed. No useing sport to teach cooperation and joint effort. No comradship at all. This is my opinion of the only childs' football club I know up here. If at no other place, good sportsmanship has to start in the club. It is non existant.

Bradcon
09-Jun-10, 08:17
After watching kids football for over 10 years, I must say that this booing of the winners has happened to various teams at various tournaments, Wick, Thurso, Thurso, Halkirk, Dunnet. Nothing changes. No team or clubs are perfect. I can think of more than a few incidents with various clubs over the years I have been spectating. The worst was a young Thurso footballer who thought he could fight with the Wick boys cos his team couldnt beat them. I was utterly disgusted by this, and the team in question took suitable action.

These tournaments are held, so as many kids as possible can do the thing that they love, which is play football. Without them many would be on the streets. Its all about the taking part and not the winning, thats a bonus!

I thought It was a good well managed tournament at the weekend. We can only wait and see what Thurso has to offer over the next 2 weekends at their tournaments.

Thumper
09-Jun-10, 08:23
I remember a few years ago being at a tournament with one of my kids,and the female coach of another team was giving her team a "pep talk" her words astounded me....right infront of our team she said "right boys if you cant beat this lot you might as well stop playing football so get out their and do your stuff" you could see the faces of our team fall at her words,I was so disgusted I couldnt even say anything! I wish i had though,an adult should have more sense and decency!x

Cattach
09-Jun-10, 08:49

It is, unfortunately, an increasing trend and has become so since competitve football has seen the age rasnge progressively dropped until we now see five year olds being encouraged to 'fight' for every ball. Children's football has reached the stage where parents are living their dreams through their children's success on a football pitch at the age of 5 years upwards. Of course, if you go to those matches, As I do from time to time, you will see that the adults are far worse behaved than the children. Their language and other antics ( running up and down the touchine, waving arms, etc) are so extreme as to be a dreadful example to the youngster who soon follow the example.

It should be noted that it is not just Wick teams and parents who boo - I have seen it in Thurso too and just as bad from Thurso clubs supporters.

Sandra_B
09-Jun-10, 08:57
It starts in the club itself (at least in Wick)! Those that show a modicum of ability are encouraged. Those that don't have elder brothers/cousins to teach them a little before starting, and thus don't know much or show much ability are ignored. No team spirit is developed. No useing sport to teach cooperation and joint effort. No comradship at all. This is my opinion of the only childs' football club I know up here. If at no other place, good sportsmanship has to start in the club. It is non existant.

Not just in Wick. I've watched my own son become more disappointed as he's passed over and left on the sidelines at Miller Academy's football team. No sign of encouragement at all. Personally I'd rather he'd been told weeks ago he wasn't good enough than see him let down and disappointed week after week.

_Ju_
09-Jun-10, 09:10
Not just in Wick. I've watched my own son become more disappointed as he's passed over and left on the sidelines at Miller Academy's football team. No sign of encouragement at all. Personally I'd rather he'd been told weeks ago he wasn't good enough than see him let down and disappointed week after week.

The thing, Sandra, is that any of them "are good enough". This is supposed to be about children doing sport and learning. Not about getting some children preped for premiere legue.

Thumper
09-Jun-10, 09:12

Yip happens all the time,I gave up taking my kids after months of sitting on the sidlines freezing and waiting...always waiting!Waste of time x

Cattach
09-Jun-10, 09:18
Yip happens all the time,I gave up taking my kids after months of sitting on the sidlines freezing and waiting...always waiting!Waste of time x

Unfortunately, it is no longer about participation but about winning at all cost so it means only a relatively few get the opportunity. There was time when everyone got a game or at least part of one but now it is about elitism in sport at an early age. Coaches must take some blame but so must parents who only want the good players to participate so that they can be part of the trophy culture - 'look how many medals my son/daughter has'.

2boyz1girl
09-Jun-10, 10:46
Well if it happens in Thurso I know it won't be my kids, they know better. And yes, it is taken way too seriously these days. It should be a fun day out not the kids feeling so under pressure to win. Hope we don't see the same carry on this weekend.

DeHaviLand
09-Jun-10, 11:06
Unfortunately, it is no longer about participation but about winning at all cost so it means only a relatively few get the opportunity. There was time when everyone got a game or at least part of one but now it is about elitism in sport at an early age. Coaches must take some blame but so must parents who only want the good players to participate so that they can be part of the trophy culture - 'look how many medals my son/daughter has'.

Football is a competitive sport, it shouldnt be about participating. It has to be about fostering a winning attitude, a desire to compete, and win. This country went a long way to taking away that desire to win in young footballers when primary schools decided to take the competitiveness out of football. What utter nonsense by a bunch of politically correct ne'er do wells. Its a sport, winning is the whole reason for playing it. Teach your kids that sport is only about participating and we'll only ever be a nation of participators, a nation of wimps and a nation of losers.

stroma88
09-Jun-10, 11:37
Football is a competitive sport, it shouldnt be about participating. It has to be about fostering a winning attitude, a desire to compete, and win. This country went a long way to taking away that desire to win in young footballers when primary schools decided to take the competitiveness out of football. What utter nonsense by a bunch of politically correct ne'er do wells. Its a sport, winning is the whole reason for playing it. Teach your kids that sport is only about participating and we'll only ever be a nation of participators, a nation of wimps and a nation of losers.

yes of course sport is competative, and the kids that play it will want to win but it shouldnt be happening like this, this aint the premier league!
at 12 years old and younger it is about taking part and having fun! do you really think that putting the kids down and booing when they loose (not saying that you do it) is going to make them more determined to win next time? i think a lot of kids that age would just get their confidence knocked.
i know when i was a kid i played sport better when i was praised for doing good, not shouted at when i did something bad!

well this is my opinion anyway

_Ju_
09-Jun-10, 12:57

You need to learn before you can compete. Children are not even being given a chance to learn.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 13:05
Perhaps the Thurso team should have let them 'catch up' in the last few, let a few in to even the scores.

After all, it is about learning and sport, not competition.

Gronnuck
09-Jun-10, 13:26
An interesting thread; it seems obvious that lots of concerned parents just want their children to have fun. Well why not arrange to have a kick-about on a Saturday afternoon where anyone and everyone can have a go. Leave the angst ridden competitive stuff to those that share DeHaviLand’s view and let them get on with it.

DeHaviLand makes a good point but IMO it’s a sad day when enthusiastic kids get left out because they ‘don’t fit in’; in other words they can’t kick a ball for toffee and they're never going to get the chance to learn. But that shouldn’t mean they should never be allowed to play.

If there are enough interested parents there is no reason why they can’t organise something themselves. Lay down some ground rules to encourage inclusion. Then if and when your child is ready to move on to more competitive football then great. We really should be encouraging kids of all abilities to have a go.

Sandra_B
09-Jun-10, 13:28
Perhaps the Thurso team should have let them 'catch up' in the last few, let a few in to even the scores.

After all, it is about learning and sport, not competition.

I have no problem with competition. I don't think it's fair to tell a child he's on the team and then not let him play.

_Ju_
09-Jun-10, 13:37
An interesting thread; it seems obvious that lots of concerned parents just want their children to have fun. Well why not arrange to have a kick-about on a Saturday afternoon where anyone and everyone can have a go. Leave the angst ridden competitive stuff to those that share DeHaviLand’s view and let them get on with it.

DeHaviLand makes a good point but IMO it’s a sad day when enthusiastic kids get left out because they ‘don’t fit in’; in other words they can’t kick a ball for toffee and they're never going to get the chance to learn. But that shouldn’t mean they should never be allowed to play.

If there are enough interested parents there is no reason why they can’t organise something themselves. Lay down some ground rules to encourage inclusion. Then if and when your child is ready to move on to more competitive football then great. We really should be encouraging kids of all abilities to have a go.

Would be great except that nowadays you would have to get those regularly working with the kids disclosed. You would have to get insurance. You would have to put into place risk assesments and contingency plans. That is why childrens clubs were formed. They put this all into place. They have the structure. They should all have policy statements and I bet that everyone of the existing clubs have one that states that they have an educational purpose and are inclusive and against discrimination. The one my son went to was inclusive only to the extent that they were willing enough to take £2.00 every week and his insurance and enrolement money every year.

Footballers do not win football matches. Football teams do. As the English team of stars insists on proving every world cup.

Mister Squiggle
09-Jun-10, 14:07
Getting back to the OP, I thought the main issue was not the competitive aspect, so much as it was how people (parents and their children) responded towards the winners (ie. booing loudly).

I think competition is good and healthy and can be enjoyed regardless of the outcome. Perhaps part of any kid's development should be to take part and learn to accept defeat gracefully. And guess who should be showing them how to do that?

This idea of "which is better, a casual kick-around v actual goal-scoring competitions?" is side-stepping the real problem, which is people are not modelling good behaviour for their children when it comes to these events, from a local, amateur level upwards. If the kids were allowed to boo the winners, and some of the brainless adults were joining in, then it doesn't matter whether its a real contest or not, they're all behaving like morons. The kids are not being taught sportsmanship and the adults should bloomin' well know better.

Moonboots
09-Jun-10, 14:53
Since there is alot of opinions on this situation.
The Caithness Boys are looking for volunteers on Sunday to help deal with the issue regarding the players/parents behaviour which was addressed at the meeting with regards to the Wick Tournament.

Anyone is more than welcome to speak to the committee on the day of the tournament if they want to help. Not just in providing order with the players/parents but anything.

I know clubs have alittle banter however it seems to be getting more and more worse every year and this is what needs to be dealt with. All clubs have a codes of conduit which all parents should be given when their child joins a club. Basically if the players/parents are not abiding by these codes then the club should take matters further.

Cattach
09-Jun-10, 15:09

Of course it is a sport but not a sport that engenders dreadful behaviour in 5 year olds. Tewach them how to take part, to win and to lose and to have a degree of sportsmanship at this age and we have a competitve group of fair minded indivisduals who are a credit to out society. Take you attitude and we get what we deserve a bunch of 'corner boys'.

Bradcon
09-Jun-10, 15:53
Since there is alot of opinions on this situation.
The Caithness Boys are looking for volunteers on Sunday to help deal with the issue regarding the players/parents behaviour which was addressed at the meeting with regards to the Wick Tournament.

Anyone is more than welcome to speak to the committee on the day of the tournament if they want to help. Not just in providing order with the players/parents but anything.

I know clubs have alittle banter however it seems to be getting more and more worse every year and this is what needs to be dealt with. All clubs have a codes of conduit which all parents should be given when their child joins a club. Basically if the players/parents are not abiding by these codes then the club should take matters further.

Well said Moonboots. In my experience, you will find that lots of people like to voice their opinions, but are unwilling to help out with things.

At the end of the day it was meant to be a fun day out, and an opportunity for lots of kids (some of which would not get a regular game of football), to have a game of footie and enjoy their day. Winning or Losing was not the point.

I hope that the CBFA get a few more helpers on Sunday cos you will alway get over zelous parents on the sides of the pitches.

Good luck with the tournament on Sunday.

_Ju_
09-Jun-10, 18:49
:lol:
Well said Moonboots. In my experience, you will find that lots of people like to voice their opinions, but are unwilling to help out with things.

:lol: I was at every single practice my son attended. When any parents were invited to help, the mothers were never invited. No problem on my part. However, when no fathers or not enough Fathers were present ( ie: one for each corner in the hall with the four groups of children), the children were left to figure out things for themselves, because obviously females cannot count! :lol: This was a running joke amongst the mothers that attended and were willing to help.

egregory
09-Jun-10, 19:25
I agree with everything you have to say.

jambo
09-Jun-10, 21:45

also what i found out of order was the winning team goading the opposision shouting easy easy easy. ps i think other teams should get their own house in order before criticising eastend.

fender
09-Jun-10, 22:16
Why oh why do kids under 12 need coaches. When I played at that age coaches had seats and took oaps on holidays.

2boyz1girl
10-Jun-10, 16:22
Jambo, I never said that our house was perfect but the fact remains that parents who should know better were booing, I don't think their was any parents shouting easy!! Children yes, not adults!! Oh well I have obviously touched a raw nerve with you lets just hope it's a better atmosphere this weekend! Thankyou everyone for your input into this topic. I know that it is discussed alot out with the org so was interested to see what the response was going to be. It has been interesting.

Bradcon
10-Jun-10, 16:32
Dont know how you could have touched a nerve with Jambo. Jambo is a coach with a junior team. He was there on Sunday, but did not witness the said situation. He was looking after his team, while changing in the huts.

The only thing that you have learned, is something which we have always known. Some kids parents get too involved. If you were so disgusted then you should have complained to the people running the tournament about the parents in question. I do agree that these kids are not learning anyting positive from these parents. This is not what we wish our junior teams to be learning.

If you wanted someting done about the situation, then a complaint about the said parents is the only way forward.

Moonboots
10-Jun-10, 17:00
As ive said in a previous post... Come along and help out!!! We are always in need of helpers...

Check out the John O'Groat Journal tomorrow for more info on the tournament etc..

wickscorrie
10-Jun-10, 18:21
Moonboots, we won't be at the sunday tournie but surely if the cfba have had a meeting about the level of lack of respect that has emerged then a letter requesting that the team "leaders" coaches request that fair play and no name calling,booing etc

i've been at both tournies so far this year and have witnessed some shocking examples of bad sportsmanship "sportchildship!!!" from teams from both sides of the county.

it would be nice to see if the coaches can rein it in a bit for this sunday

Moonboots
10-Jun-10, 22:49
As far as i am aware, There will be a note on the rules which will be handed out to the coaches on the day..

The meeting wasnt focused on the behaviour however it got brought up in it.

lagertops
10-Jun-10, 23:20
The whole set up needs revamped big time! Take away the trophies and just have a player of the tournament in each section.The rule that you have to take 1 player off every time a team scores more than 4 should be scrapped.Last week in Wick I watched 2 v 7 for a while and it benefited no one.The team that is winning by 4 should be made to play 3 touch football,that way they will learn how to keep possession and hopefully allow the opposition a chance to get back in the game.

Parents need to chill a bit more and encourage all the kids that are taking part and not just their own. But hey its all about winning..

See you this boo free Sunday

espadartecars
11-Jun-10, 22:34
I was at the football on the sideline on Sunday and i never heard any adults booing.I think that this is someone wanting to kick up a stink about something and nothing,as was said in an earlier thread the winning team was just as bad shouting easy easy.From what i saw aswell was the Thurso parents shouting to their players,mainly one parent who stood by the goals the whole of the match.As the saying goes boys will be boys,