PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know ........

MsF
08-Jun-10, 20:25
apart from a 'cheesewire' how a bonded windscreen can be removed in one piece please?

upolian
08-Jun-10, 20:40
wat car are you referring to?make model age?

fred
08-Jun-10, 20:53
apart from a 'cheesewire' how a bonded windscreen can be removed in one piece please?

I've done it using a mixture of tools I made myself, a stanley knife blade fastened at right angles to a wooden handle, mig welding wire with a wooden handle on each end. You can buy special tools for the job. You can soften the bonding with a hair drier as you do it.

As how you do it it's risky and once it's out it isn't safe, I once got one out in one piece then just touched the edge with a knife blade taking the old bonding off and a crack just moved slowly across the glass.

bekisman
08-Jun-10, 21:05
As a fire-fighter used to attend many RTA's (now 'Road Traffic Incidents'?), found the easiest way to remove windscreen, was to sit in passenger seat, put size twelve fire boots against screen and gently push - 'usually' it just popped out.. can't say if this would work nowadays?

fred
08-Jun-10, 21:20
As a fire-fighter used to attend many RTA's (now 'Road Traffic Incidents'?), found the easiest way to remove windscreen, was to sit in passenger seat, put size twelve fire boots against screen and gently push - 'usually' it just popped out.. can't say if this would work nowadays?

No, that was the old rubber seal windscreens. These days windscreens are bonded, they are part of the structural integrity of the car.

MsF
08-Jun-10, 21:43
wat car are you referring to?make model age?
want to remove cracked windscreen from n reg vauxhall monterey and replace with one from j reg isuzu trooper which also needs to be removed:eek: