PDA

View Full Version : Privacy?

pegasus
08-Jun-10, 13:14
This is the truth about "Facebook."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B37wW9CGWyYPrivac

northener
08-Jun-10, 13:25
I'm not exactly horrified or shocked at the videos content, Peg.

Same as anything on the internet, don't post anything on Facebook that you wouldn't be prepared to write on your local bus shelter wall.

As for the 'links' back to the CIA, I'd say that it's hardly suprising that the top intelligence gathering guys have links between the security forces and big business. Top gadgies in any sphere of government have close links with big business anywhere in the world.

On a more positive note, I believe it is right to highlight Facebooks' "in perpetuity and with complete free licence do do what the hell we want", now that really sucks. The Devil is always in the detail.

ducati
08-Jun-10, 15:07
You'd have to be very naive not to realise that a great many security agencies keep a very close eye and ear on all web traffic.

pegasus
08-Jun-10, 17:13
I'm not exactly horrified or shocked at the videos content, Peg.

Same as anything on the internet, don't post anything on Facebook that you wouldn't be prepared to write on your local bus shelter wall.

As for the 'links' back to the CIA, I'd say that it's hardly suprising that the top intelligence gathering guys have links between the security forces and big business. Top gadgies in any sphere of government have close links with big business anywhere in the world.

On a more positive note, I believe it is right to highlight Facebooks' "in perpetuity and with complete free licence do do what the hell we want", now that really sucks. The Devil is always in the detail.

People can be shee-like and want to copy one and other so
Im not surpriseed Facebook has 59 million users and that 2 million join each week! UK is the 3rd biggest customer after US and Canada.
Its awell funded project with only 3 board members. Replacing the real worls with a virtual one is scary! One of the basic components of socila interaction is making eye to eye contact. Its fast disapearing.

pegasus
08-Jun-10, 17:16
You'd have to be very naive not to realise that a great many security agencies keep a very close eye and ear on all web traffic.

Sure is a big brother! :roll:

"The creators of the site need do very little bar fiddle with the programme. In the main, they simply sit back and watch as millions of Facebook addicts voluntarily upload their ID details, photographs and lists of their favourite consumer objects. Once in receipt of this vast database of human beings, Facebook then simply has to sell the information back to advertisers, or, as Zuckerberg puts it in a recent blog post, "to try to help people share information with their friends about things they do on the web". And indeed, this is precisely what's happening."

northener
08-Jun-10, 17:24
I wish I'd thought it up....

Mind you, I used to be on there and it did my head in. But it's a good tool for finding people you want to get eve.....er, I mean speak to again after many years.;):Razz

ducati
08-Jun-10, 17:34
I'm not on facebook because of er..my face. :eek: It looks exactly like that.

Phill
08-Jun-10, 17:57
Have you ever thought what goes on at Tesco's and Asda etc. etc.

They collect all the data on the products you buy and tie this in via your credit card and or loyalty card (clubcard) scheme. They (yes, the dreaded THEY) can build up a profile of you and your family, and your spending habits etc. etc. and you will then get targeted sales advertising.

Similarly with web browsers, they will collate certain information on what you browse and create a profile, didn't BT cause a hoohar with this.

If you have two computers and these are used by two different people, try running the same search on each machine and notice the different results.

All this information is available at the right price, or if a gov't agency, for gratis via legislation.

WE are ALL in the public domain wether you like it or not, and for social network sites, just think before you put things up.
But having said that, there is a lot more personal info on the 'tinterweb that many probably didn't realise.

True that when you sign up to bookfizz or bobe you effectively 'sell' your soul to the devil but then read the T's & C's.

There is no privacy on the web, despite what you may think.

fred
08-Jun-10, 18:04
They collect all the data on the products you buy and tie this in via your credit card and or loyalty card (clubcard) scheme. They (yes, the dreaded THEY) can build up a profile of you and your family, and your spending habits etc. etc. and you will then get targeted sales advertising.

I'd wondered why I was getting all those adverts for Carlsberg Special through the letterbox.

northener
08-Jun-10, 18:06
I'd wondered why I was getting all those adverts for Carlsberg Special through the letterbox.

Westons Organic Cider through mine....

Tinkerbell09
08-Jun-10, 18:19
offthehook2 (http://www.youtube.com/user/offthehook2)
2 weeks ago 5 http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl73.gif
Guess who has this information without joining facebook:
Banks
Credit card
DVLa driving license
Camera's in street
Telephone (tapped) One guy arrested because he said a joke on phone.
How I know? I went and applied using the ACT and found all these companies know everything about us. And we're talking about facebook?

(one of the comments taken from the youtube clip) offthehook2 is completely right though, couldnt of put it better myself.

Phill
08-Jun-10, 18:35

Keep sendin' me stuff fer meths, thing is I don' buy decorating stuff [disgust]

squidge
08-Jun-10, 23:18
FAcebook doesnt worry me - I expect all those things and dont post anything i wouldnt be happy sharing.

Formspring however - has anyone seen that? :eek:

Blarney
08-Jun-10, 23:53
Have you ever thought what goes on at Tesco's and Asda etc. etc.

Similarly with web browsers, they will collate certain information on what you browse and create a profile, didn't BT cause a hoohar with this.

If you have two computers and these are used by two different people, try running the same search on each machine and notice the different results.

True that when you sign up to bookfizz or bobe you effectively 'sell' your soul to the devil but then read the T's & C's.

There is no privacy on the web, despite what you may think.

Pretty astute of them though. Just set up a database and watch all those gullible folks fill in all the fields for you while you sit back and reap the rewards from selling on all the info you've now gathered.:D Personally, there's no way you would get me divulging all my personal details on this.
I cannot understand why Twitter is so popular either. I think that we have so many people displaying exhibitionist traits that they actually believe that others may be remotely interested in the trivia of their everyday activities.