PDA

View Full Version : Missing black rabbit

SJR
17-Jun-06, 16:11
I know this is a bit of a long shot but one of my pet rabbits has escaped from his outside hutch some time yesterday afternoon(friday) I was away and am only back now, the neighbour managed to catch the other one(very good!)
He is black with a grey bit at the bottom of his tail and is usually timid, and may bound off if anyone goes near him.When we go in the cage he always hides in a corner, so i hope hes hiding in a corner somewhere.
He would have orginated from the Miller avenue area in Wick, ive tryed all around and had a look in the riverside area, but as ive not slept since yesterday morn im going to collapse.Thanks in advance for any possible help

Yvonne
18-Jun-06, 00:48
SJR
Sorry to learn about your little black rabbit. I do hope he will show sooner or later! Can he exist on eating grass alone? It was very kind of your neighbour to rescue the other one. Someone might spot him due to your posting and alert you.
Keep your hopes up. :)

unicorn
18-Jun-06, 00:52
Provided he can keep away from traffic and natural predators he will be ok. Leave his hutch door open as well with his food and hay in there he may well come back when hungry, Check also with anyone in the area with rabbits that you know as it is possible they will have been approached about him if he has been spotted.

topotheuk
18-Jun-06, 10:48
One of ours managed to escape from her hutch a year or two ago. We couldn't find her anywhere during daylight. My hubby took a torch and a fishing net outside with him at night to see if he could find her as this is when a rabbit in the wild would normally come out to eat. He looked around and eventually found her. When the torch light was shining on her she froze (as you will know, a natural reaction for a rabbit) and he managed to put the net over her and take her back to her hutch. You should give it a try and see if you can find yours at night when they are out feeding. Hope you find him.

SJR
18-Jun-06, 17:41
thanks all of you.
Having been up the whole of friday nite to drive home I was knackered yesterday and all i did was leave carrots out for him, but i got up at 4 this morn but all I could see nearby was grey wild rabbits, only a handful of them.
Does the weather affect when they come out? Ill try the torch and fishing net approach tonight. He does eat grass aswell as carrots and muslie looking rabbit food. How long was your rabbit missing when your husband found him? Ive seen no signs of fur anywhere(as in he might have been attacked by a dog) so I suppose thats a good thing.

unicorn
18-Jun-06, 17:44
At this time of year he is probably busy trying to make babies with the wild bunnies lol.

SJR
18-Jun-06, 17:52
I accept no paternity suits! I think he is gay anyway, Him and his hutch buddy are very friendly! Does that mean there is more chance of him being busy in a hole somewhere?

unicorn
18-Jun-06, 18:31
no I would think he will be above ground and close to home, check bushes and long grass.

melted_wellie
18-Jun-06, 18:49
i hope its all vegetarians that live close-by.

topotheuk
18-Jun-06, 19:31
Our rabbit was missing for about a day and a half. It was just a pure shot in the dark that my hubby tried the torch and net. He just thought of when guys go lamping the rabbits are so frightened of having the light shon on them that they freeze and they are then able to be shot or whatever. We have quite a big field, but he started off by looking around the area where the hutch was, maybe around 50 metre diameter. Luckily he found him not too far from the hutch happily munching grass with the wild ones. He had been hiding in either long grass or a rabbit hole during the day and we never saw him at all. He must have had quite good natural insticts to come out at night, even although he had been a pet since birth. Good luck, I hope it works.

landmarker
18-Jun-06, 19:36
I accept no paternity suits! I think he is gay anyway, Him and his hutch buddy are very friendly! Does that mean there is more chance of him being busy in a hole somewhere?

No ,but it might mean he will turn up safe and sound.anyone harming a gay rabbit will face much sterner punishment than yer average common or garden sex mad hetero- bunny.

Seriously - I hope he turns up safe. Really I do. Keep us posted.

landmarker

krieve
19-Jun-06, 10:29
Have you had any luck finding your rabbit yet SJR ?

SJR
19-Jun-06, 13:19
No luck yet.We were out searching lastnight in the dark trying to catch him in a beam of light but no joy, also got up and went a look at 5 am. Im not even seeing much of the wild grey rabbits that usually can be spotted nearby, what weather would they be most likely to be seen above ground in?
Him friend appears to be missing him ,but im no rabbit behavior expert :-(

unicorn
19-Jun-06, 13:33
check Balmore to see if anyone has handed him in. I can't see him being underground as it is not natural for him.

SJR
19-Jun-06, 13:36
Balmore is the place between Dounreay and Forse?Would it be worth reporting to the poice? Or is nthat just distracting them from pestering motorists?

unicorn
19-Jun-06, 13:43
Balmore tel no is 01847861386. It couldn't hurt to ask at the police station but I would try balmore 1st.

SJR
19-Jun-06, 13:55
Done that and they have suggested to ask at the vets too, thanks unicorn.

unicorn
19-Jun-06, 14:05
I never thought of vets lol!!!!!!! I hope you get him back ok.

SJR
19-Jun-06, 21:07
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I am very very glad to say that My rabbit has been returned. I am so delighted, someone along the road saw him in his garden and fed him and managed to fence him in untill they found out whos rabbit it was. So I am very grateful to him for doing so. The rabbits are glad to be back together Rodney and Del are finally reunited :)

connieb19
19-Jun-06, 21:18
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I am very very glad to say that My rabbit has returned. I am so delighted he was someone along the road saw him in his garden and fed him and managed to fence him in untill they found out whos rabbit it was. So I am very grateful to him for doing so. The rabbits are glad to be back together Rodney and Del are finally reunited :)That's great news SJR, you must be relieved..:)

unicorn
19-Jun-06, 21:51
Excellent news glad he is ok.

krieve
19-Jun-06, 22:20
Thats great news that Del and Rodney are back together again!

angela5
19-Jun-06, 22:29
http://members.iinet.com.au/~rabbit/rabpics/theend1.gif

That's good news SJR.

Elenna
19-Jun-06, 23:49
Oh, that is really great to hear, SJR! We had our cat disappear one night a number of years back, never to be seen again, so I am always pleased when a "missing pet" is found and happily returned home again.

Astra
20-Jun-06, 00:53
thats great news ;)

lelebo
21-Jun-06, 11:19
Hi there - I saw a little black rabbit run across the road beside the train station - it was with a little wild rabbit - was surprised to see him but he looked quite happy - he ran from the old medical centre and over into the garden across the road.

unicorn
21-Jun-06, 11:33
wild rabbits and tame released rabbits will breed together and this is why we now see an increased number of coloured wild rabbits.