PDA

View Full Version : Belly Dancers at Lybster

nicnak
08-Jun-10, 09:32
Just a quick WELL DONE and Congrats to the Belly Dancers who performed at the Harbour in Lybster on Fri and Sat night, you did fantastically despite all the problems and hurdles and hurdles thrown at you in the final week by Eden Court!

grandma
08-Jun-10, 09:44
As did all the kids who performed too. :D A lot of work went into the whole performance and it showed - especially the belly dancers ;)

Bradcon
08-Jun-10, 15:49
Wasnt too impressed with them myself. Their outfits looked like they had been thrown together.

Really enjoyed the kids and thought that Eden Court and Bodycurrents had done a great job. :)

jambo
08-Jun-10, 17:57
nik nak wernt u one of the belly dancers so ur saying well done to urself. u should be happy eden court gave u the chance to dance at the show

porshiepoo
09-Jun-10, 09:48
nik nak wernt u one of the belly dancers so ur saying well done to urself. u should be happy eden court gave u the chance to dance at the show

Yes Niknak was a bellydancer, as was I and if we want to congratulate ourselves and all the other dancers on here then that is exactly what we will do.

Happy Eden court "let" us dance for them? Are you kidding?
We went into this little venture on the understanding that professional type costumes would be supplied. In fact our Bellydance teacher set aside her tuition fees so that Eden court could use those funds to do so. We even went as far as to say that we would be willing to make the costumes ourselves from the get go and could get huge discounts on proper outfits off Ebay. However Eden court assured us that this wasn't necessary, their "people" had researched the outfits and knew what was needed.
1 week before the show we finally got a fitting and what they gave us was diabolical. Crimpolene knee length skirts, dark blue extra long sleeved thermal type tops and a Bolero that was initially white but had been dyed.

So with less than a week to go we bought material and tops from our own pocket and did our best to come up with a skirt and top that was more appropriate.
We also had to supply all our own hip belts and veils.

Bradcon: If the outfits looked as though they'd been thrown together it's because they literally were. If Eden court had listened to us at the beginning we could have had professional costumes sorted.

Before anyone else decides to slag off either the outfits or the performance maybe you could think on a few things first.
I don't know how long the kids had to rehearse their performances but us "bellydancers" had 7 weeks to learn what we could. Only our teacher had any experience of this kind of dance and believe me Shakira makes it look easy - it's ruddy not!
All of us are mothers who were putting ourselves on the line in front of neighbours, friends, relatives and our local community and were pretty much terrified at the thought.
The outfits were suppose to be what we could hide behind. A proper belly dance outfit would have given us some kind of confidence to do what we had to so we were gutted when Eden court made such a mess of it all.
We could have pulled out, in fact a couple did and I very nearly did but we'd made a commitment and so felt we should honour it.
Such a shame Eden court didn't honour their commitments to us.

Well done Bellydancers and kids alike.

Crackeday
09-Jun-10, 13:45
ive seen some very strange sights in lybster but belly Dancing is a new one on me!!![lol]

knittingkitten04
09-Jun-10, 14:10
I was sorry we weren't able to be there and see the belly dancing as I know some of the hard work and effort that went into organising it, especially with the set back around the costumes.

Fair play to anyone who has the guts to do something like that, well done to all the dancers and I look forward to seeing pics!!

BRIE
09-Jun-10, 14:17
well done to all the dancers! I know it was pretty manic with rehearsals in the last couple of weeks & thought you all did an excellent job.
The belly dancers looked fab compared to the original outfits they were given so well done to them all on the costumes too.:D

al
10-Jun-10, 00:22
Have you raised these concerns with Eden Court? And what was their response? Can you post it here?