PDA

View Full Version : I"m Rich and I'm lost

rich
08-Jun-10, 03:01
I may not be the most popular member of the ORG.

That's OK by me.

But the ORG has been important to me. I suspect I have a lot in common with the ORGERS whose principle concern is with the County of Caithness.

Our concerns and our opinions are important - much more important I will argue than whether or not Israel has gone to war with the Palestinians or vice versa.

Our concerns are important because we are from Caithness and the ORG is all we have to express our sense of regional identity.

I think we may need to be more protective about that sense of regional identity. I think that when those of us leave the county and enter the wider world we carry with us a certain unique quality that helps us in our careers and our lives.

The Caithness tradition is one of openness - a certain robust means of expression that may owe more to our Scandinavian ancestors than to civil servants from Whitehall (although Caithness people have made their mark on the wider world too.)

I believe that certain people have taken advantage of our spirit of openness. I would certainly mention the poster called Fred and the poster called Pegasus in this.

However we are all likely responsible for the erosion of the ORG and doubtless we re all to blame for the deterioration of debate.

I have a few comments that might help us over this difficult period now confronts us. One is to actively encourage the ORGERs from whom we rarely hear. I am thinking of George Brims and Robert Murray to think of two. And lets get John Little back (Sorry guys a bit of noblesse oblige and all that)

I want more good sessions like "can hens fly" or the old shop front series. We need to embrace this stuff; it keeps us strong; it's better than Proust with his biscuit.

So, as it is in the waning hours and I have a glass of Laphroag to hand I am now going to venture an IDEA.

I would like to see the Caithnessian/'Norwegian/ Scandinavian festival revived. To reach its climax on Midsummer Nights Eve. An exchange of music and literature.

Why not?

It's our birthright.

Any comments?

Aaldtimer
08-Jun-10, 03:36
I may not be the most popular member of the ORG.

That's OK by me.

But the ORG has been important to me. I suspect I have a lot in common with the ORGERS whose principle concern is with the County of Caithness.

Our concerns and our opinions are important - much more important I will argue than whether or not Israel has gone to war with the Palestinians or vice versa.

Our concerns are important because we are from Caithness and the ORG is all we have to express our sense of regional identity.

I think we may need to be more protective about that sense of regional identity. I think that when those of us leave the county and enter the wider world we carry with us a certain unique quality that helps us in our careers and our lives.

The Caithness tradition is one of openness - a certain robust means of expression that may owe more to our Scandinavian ancestors than to civil servants from Whitehall (although Caithness people have made their mark on the wider world too.)

I believe that certain people have taken advantage of our spirit of openness. I would certainly mention the poster called Fred and the poster called Pegasus in this.

However we are all likely responsible for the erosion of the ORG and doubtless we re all to blame for the deterioration of debate.

I have a few comments that might help us over this difficult period now confronts us. One is to actively encourage the ORGERs from whom we rarely hear. I am thinking of George Brims and Robert Murray to think of two. And lets get John Little back (Sorry guys a bit of noblesse oblige and all that)

I want more good sessions like "can hens fly" or the old shop front series. We need to embrace this stuff; it keeps us strong; it's better than Proust with his biscuit.

So, as it is in the waning hours and I have a glass of Laphroag to hand I am now going to venture an IDEA.

I would like to see the Caithnessian/'Norwegian/ Scandinavian festival revived. To reach its climax on Midsummer Nights Eve. An exchange of music and literature.

Why not?

It's our birthright.

Any comments?

Well Richard, you kinda denied your birthright when you decided that Caithness wasn't for you and that Canada was your choice.
It's interesting that you find the opinions of other ex-pats to be of value rather than the residents of your home.
To be honest your preffered choice of tipple, (described pretty accurately to me by someone else as Dettol mixed with peat water) doesn't impress one bit!:confused

Kodiak
08-Jun-10, 13:48
To be honest your preffered choice of tipple, (described pretty accurately to me by someone else as Dettol mixed with peat water) doesn't impress one bit!:confused

I agree completely, give me a 25 year old McAllan any day. Smooth as velvet, AHH Bliss indeed.

wicker8
08-Jun-10, 13:52
it hasto be a glenmorangie and ice for me just bliss maybe a jack daniels :Razz

northener
08-Jun-10, 14:04
Philistines.

If you're backing Caithness you should be supping Old Pulteney..or at a push a decent Speyside....none of that West Coast pish.:Razz

rich
08-Jun-10, 14:04
I never said it should be an ex-pats forum. But I did say the ORG was important to ex-Pats.
Can that be denied?

golach
08-Jun-10, 14:15
Philistines.

If you're backing Caithness you should be supping Old Pulteney..or at a push a decent Speyside....none of that West Coast pish.:Razz

My old Dad used till say to me, "Son there is no such thing as a bad Whisky, just that some are better than others", and I have to admit, Old Pulteney is not even in my top 5, my personal choice at the moment is a very nice 16 year old Highland Park. Maybe its because of my Thursa roots and my suspicions of anything from Wick LOL

scorrie
08-Jun-10, 14:24

Why not?

That day is long gone. We are talking about the X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent these days. Apart from a handful of academics and arty-farties the idea of embracing Norwegian music and literature is going to be as appetising as an excrement sandwich for most of the population of Caithness.

Anyway, that exchange was already done to the death in the 1980's, when I swapped a copy of Jenny Syfelbain's "Chance a Snifter" for the new A-Ha CD ;)

northener
08-Jun-10, 14:24
My old Dad used till say to me, "Son there is no such thing as a bad Whisky, just that some are better than others", and I have to admit, Old Pulteney is not even in my top 5, my personal choice at the moment is a very nice 16 year old Highland Park. Maybe its because of my Thursa roots and my suspicions of anything from Wick LOL

HP sauce?

I'll give you that one, Golach. Not a bad drop.:Razz

golach
08-Jun-10, 19:18
Would the Orger/Orgers who contacted Scorrie, reference my feelings and welfare about his posting on this thread, please contact me by PM.
My feelings were not hurt in anyway, I laughed out loud when I read your post Scorrie [lol]

Please repost it if you wish Scorrie, if you do, you will get a good rep from me

rich
08-Jun-10, 19:28
I started the thread that provoked the digruntlement.

I can't see anything there that is unacceptable.

Although I still can't figure out what Scorrie has against Norwegian academics...

Torvaig
09-Jun-10, 00:55
RICH - "I would like to see the Caithnessian/'Norwegian/ Scandinavian festival revived. To reach its climax on Midsummer Nights Eve. An exchange of music and literature."

A good idea Rich and one I wish could come to fruition. The Northlands Festival lasted for several years but, unfortunately, folded in 2002 due to lack of funding and I haven't heard any word of it being resurrected.

Our Nordic neighbours Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Greenland united with Scotland to bring together talents in music, dance and theatre and, if I recall correctly, Mary Miller was at the helm.

Performers at the "Northlands Festival" included the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra's soloists ensemble; many Nordic artistes, e.g. Mari Boune, the internationally renowned Sami singer from Norway and Ibsen's classic play "Ghosts" was performed.

Local participation was enjoyed when Martin Danziger produced multi-action plays partially performed by the local population and spectacular to watch, mostly outdoors.

Pianist, composer and conductor Allardyce Mallon, who was initially educated at Bower Primary and then Wick High School and first studied music with Emma Bruce, was involved in the production of "Tales from the End of the Northworld" which was performed during the 1999 Northlands Festival. He said, "Caithness is ideal for composing. It's quiet and inspiring" and he returns as often as he can.

P.S. The above info on Allardyce was taken from an article written by Gordon Calder for the John O'Groat Journal in 2006.

P.P.S. One of his first pianos came from my family so I can lay claim to having played on the same keys as Allardyce although, to be honest, his attainments are rather higher than mine....... :D.

Boozeburglar
09-Jun-10, 00:59
Dettol mixed with peat water

Damn I thought I invented that concotion, now you are telling me it is available off the shelf!

scorrie
09-Jun-10, 14:19
I started the thread that provoked the digruntlement.

I can't see anything there that is unacceptable.

Although I still can't figure out what Scorrie has against Norwegian academics...

I don't think you are on the correct wavelength here.

I have nothing against Norwegian Academics, I just don't think there is much appetite for same in Caithness.