PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas

Kevin Milkins
08-Jun-10, 00:45
I have walked Reiss beech on a regular basis for about four years and I enjoy the many changes that are brought about by the different weather conditions and the shifting sand.

Recently, the sands near to the shipwreck Jean Stephens has shifted considerably and uncovered another metal object about 300 yards up the beach towards the Wester river.

Does anyone know what this object is?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/IMG_0105-1.jpg?t=1275954095

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/IMG_0104-1.jpg?t=1275954153

George Brims
08-Jun-10, 01:36
Since it looks hollowand has an airfoil kind of shape, it's probably a part of some aircraft. You should maybe retrieve it and see if there are any serial numbers on any components (unlikely after this time as I'm guessing it will be of WWII vintage).

dafi
08-Jun-10, 01:57
Looking at the rust it looks like a steel construction. I wonder if its not a diving plane ripped off a sub?

Ancient Mariner
08-Jun-10, 08:35
Could be a rudder off a smaller vessel.

Gronnuck
08-Jun-10, 08:45
Do trawlers not have something like this to 'trawl' their nets along the sea bed?

dafi
08-Jun-10, 09:42
Looks good for a rudder as well. I cant think why that didnt enter my head!!!Late a night i supose..hehe

golach
08-Jun-10, 09:59
Is it not one of the vanes from the experimental tidal power machines from the Firth that broke up in a storm?

northener
08-Jun-10, 10:06
It's riveted - so it's nothing recent.

I'd say it's some sort of vessel associated with steam propulsion - maybe a condenser, it looks an odd shape for a boiler and the protruding pipework would probably rule out a rudder.

Metalattakk
08-Jun-10, 10:22
In the first pic, the misshapen brown thing on the right looks...sort of like....a dog?

Quite how it survived in such good condition for so long under the shifting sands is remarkable. :eek:

Phill
08-Jun-10, 10:23
It's part of the alien spacecraft that is buried deep below Portgower, it is one of the few parts that broke off when it crashed landed.

THEY will be after it now, and you!! :eek: I'd remove the images and deny all knowledge of it.

ok, I'll get me coat.........

mrlennie
08-Jun-10, 10:30
Interesting bread bin shape...

northener
08-Jun-10, 10:40
In the first pic, the misshapen brown thing on the right looks...sort of like....a dog?

Quite how it survived in such good condition for so long under the shifting sands is remarkable. :eek:

.................[lol]

Bazeye
08-Jun-10, 12:42
Looking at the rust it looks like a steel construction. I wonder if its not a diving plane ripped off a sub?

Dont think its a hydroplane with that pipe. Looks too small as well.

ducati
08-Jun-10, 12:47
Decomposing flipper off.......Nessie.

Trust me, I'm a Zoologist

fender
08-Jun-10, 12:57

That's not any dog So respect, that is a Boxer

Kevin Milkins
08-Jun-10, 15:48
I was guessing that it may have been part of the Jean Stephens that has broke off and migrated with the tides.:confused

I thought there may have been someone local that would have remembered seeing it and could recall its origin, it would appear to be from the same era as the Jean Stephens that has been on the beech since 1958.

Thanks for some interesting input and thoughts though.:lol:

ducati
08-Jun-10, 16:07
Might be nice to remind us of the story

http://www.hansonclan.co.uk/Wick/jean_stephens.htm

Probably been posted many times before but some may not have seen it :)