PDA

View Full Version : new high school

katarina
07-Jun-10, 21:07
Okay, so Wick needs a new high school. But why oh why does it have to have a swimming pool when there is already one in the town? the ridiculous cost of building and maintaining a pool could go to something the young people NEED.
Providing yet another pool, will only result in the closure of the one we already have, and will the high school provide a public gym?
I've never heard anything so ridiculous.
They say that renovating the existing school will cost more than building a new one. I would rather see the lovely old building retained at a higher price, than a new building erected with a ridiculously unnecessary facility incorporated.

upolian
07-Jun-10, 21:18
If the exsisting building is maintained at a higher cost,that would defeat the purpose of what you said? Maintaining at a higher cost is not saving money,so they may aswell just build a new school with swimming pool?

Dadie
07-Jun-10, 21:24
I dont care either way as long as it is built!
It is way overdue as it stands (or in the case of the old building crumbling) at the moment. The last thing it needs is months or years of debate.

brandy
07-Jun-10, 21:26
have you seen the rest of the shool other than the front listed building?
its a wreck and so ugly its an eye sore.
also at the moment the wick swimming pool is full all the time with school swimming.
i think personally that it would be lovley to be able to have a pool in the school so that it can take the strain off the wick pool. my youngest will be next year before he can start lessons because there is so much demand.
thats a year on a waiting list for swimming lessons.
give a call to the pool and ask when free swim is... they are few and far between.
i know with all the budget cuts that its going to be hard to get funding for anything but if we can then we should for the future of our children.

Venture
07-Jun-10, 21:39
also at the moment the wick swimming pool is full all the time with school swimming.
i think personally that it would be lovley to be able to have a pool in the school so that it can take the strain off the wick pool.

I don't think you undertand the situation brandy. The new pool in the new school will mean the closure of the existing one. The new pool will be doing the same as it is now, accommodating both the public and all the schools. It will be a bigger pool but the sharing situation will be the same at the new one.

Venture
07-Jun-10, 21:57
Okay, so Wick needs a new high school. But why oh why does it have to have a swimming pool when there is already one in the town? the ridiculous cost of building and maintaining a pool could go to something the young people NEED.
Providing yet another pool, will only result in the closure of the one we already have, and will the high school provide a public gym?
They say that renovating the existing school will cost more than building a new one. I would rather see the lovely old building retained at a higher price, than a new building erected with a ridiculously unnecessary facility incorporated.

Within the 18.4 million allocated by the Scottish Futures Trust £2m was allocated towards a new school swimming pool.

Renovating the exisiting building would cause far too much disruption to the pupils. The work could last from 3 to 5 years, meaning that some children would spend all their time at the High School learning within a building site. Regardless of where the school is built, the old facade is to be retained. It is not listed but HRC have been advised not to pull it down. It may well end up being sold.

Sara Jevo
07-Jun-10, 22:09
I'd grab it while it's still on the table, if I was you, and quit moaning.

The pennies in the public purse are evaporating quicker than snow off a dyke in July.

Dadie
07-Jun-10, 22:22
thats my thoughts exactly!
It needs done now and as the cash is "on the table" grab it and do it asap!

celtic
07-Jun-10, 22:26
I don't think you undertand the situation brandy. The new pool in the new school will mean the closure of the existing one. The new pool will be doing the same as it is now, accommodating both the public and all the schools. It will be a bigger pool but the sharing situation will be the same at the new one.
No brandy means the new pool in the school will take the strain off the public pool as the public pool is being used for wick high pupils aswel and it will be only school pupils using the new pool.

LMS
07-Jun-10, 22:27

Schools are only in from 10 to 12-ish. The pool is available every afternoon for at least three hours, on some days three and a half. It has been like this for a couple of years now.

telfordstar
07-Jun-10, 22:27
Lol theyd better get spending before David Cameron takes it all back soon!!!

Venture
07-Jun-10, 22:35
No brandy means the new pool in the school will take the strain off the public pool as the public pool is being used for wick high pupils aswel and it will be only school pupils using the new pool.

No, read what I said. It will not be only school pupils using the new pool. It will be shared by the High School and all the other primaries and the public, the same as the public pool is now. There will only be one pool and that will be at the High School site. The existing pool will be closed.

brandy
07-Jun-10, 22:43
is it written anywhere that the pool will be closed?
and its not just the day time school kids swimming.. you also have after school lessons that are so strained right now they can not cope with all the children asking for lessons.
there is also lots of other swimming clubs and groups that use the pool that have nothing to do with children.
until the high school pool was closed due to saftey issues, were not both pools being used?
why now would it change?

Blarney
07-Jun-10, 22:57
and its not just the day time school kids swimming.. you also have after school lessons that are so strained right now they can not cope with all the children asking for lessons.
there is also lots of other swimming clubs and groups that use the pool that have nothing to do with children.
until the high school pool was closed due to saftey issues, were not both pools being used?
why now would it change?
Reasonable points. Where did you get your information regarding public pool closure from Venture?

scorrie
07-Jun-10, 23:14

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8221/Wick_High_plan_gets_cash_boost.html

This more or less covers it. Check out the sarcastic comment in response to the story!!

ps to see the comment I mention you need to go to the homepage and link to the comment button under the headline for this story. What a wit eh?

brandy
07-Jun-10, 23:30
thanks for the link.. that is the first that i have seen of it. i did not realise that the schools pool and facilities would be open to the public.
i had just assumed that as it was a school that it would be reserved for school use.
but saying that will the school also have a public gym as well?
still not happy at all to see they are pushing towards using the park..
surley there is other places that they can use?
and like the article said. it will cause a lot of leagal issues and protests from the towns people as the majority of people will protest it. i guess we will just hav eto wait and see what happens.

katarina
08-Jun-10, 10:55
I don't think you understand the situation brandy. The new pool in the new school will mean the closure of the existing one. The new pool will be doing the same as it is now, accommodating both the public and all the schools. It will be a bigger pool but the sharing situation will be the same at the new one.

Exactly. And why use the money to build a new swimming pool and close the one that's already there? Why not build something the kids Don't have? IE a running track, a skating rink, or anything else that can develop their potential.

katarina
08-Jun-10, 10:58
If the exsisting building is maintained at a higher cost,that would defeat the purpose of what you said? Maintaining at a higher cost is not saving money,so they may aswell just build a new school with swimming pool?

that's not what i said. It would cost more to renovate it than build a new one, running costs would be the same. however i concede to the need for a new building, but not one with a swimming pool unless we can retain the one we have, and I don't see that happening. the existing swimming pool will become just another empty building with the loss of jobs no doubt.

macbreeza
08-Jun-10, 12:32
I gave up going to the pool as I can NEVER get to swim due to clubs this clubs that school this school that! it bugs me soo much. I pay to use it but I cant! Give the kids their own pool and give me back my one. I use the gym which is great

katarina
08-Jun-10, 16:59
I gave up going to the pool as I can NEVER get to swim due to clubs this clubs that school this school that! it bugs me soo much. I pay to use it but I cant! Give the kids their own pool and give me back my one. I use the gym which is great

That would be great, but there's more chance of pigs flying. But if you can think of a way to convince the powers that be - I'll back you up all the way!

buffy
08-Jun-10, 17:10
I think we have a catch 22 situation going on here. Neither the Wick or Thurso pools are really making the council money at the moment, so I see their point.
However, they need to sit up and listen to the people and what they have been saying for years - we don't go to the pool because of the horrendous lack of public swimming time available. This won't help Thurso but at least if the Schools and the swimming clubs used the pool at the Wick High School then the pool would be available for the public to actually get some use of it!
Then and only then can they say that its not covering its costs etc.

Bill Fernie
08-Jun-10, 17:33
Just to clear up one or two points regarding the inclusion of a swimming pool in the new Wick High School money on offer fom Scottish Government.

Scottish Government and Highland Council are keen that we make any new secondary schools, community schools.

Scottish Government are offering us around £2million for a new pool which will be larger by two lanes although still 25 metres in length plus some tiered seating to make it more useable by audiences at galas etc.

The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn.

All jobs at the existing pool at the time the new one is completed will transfer to the new facility.

No decisions have been taken regarding the existing swimming pool. All that can be said and I have said it in one or two places that it is most unlikely we would commit to running two swimming pools in the area. Decisions on the future of the building are some way off.

The new pool will be bigger by two lanes and will therefor possibly offer opportunities to have more people in at any one time and perhaps split schools and public swimming at the same time. Decisions on that are probably not going to be taken until the new pool is nearer opening.

We have plenty of time to decide on these matters as build will not commence until 2012 and take about two years to build. There is still much to do in preparation.

ECS officials are now in the process of firming up plans for an open exhibition day and it looks like the potential date will be Monday 28th June. Details will be announced shortly. The exibition will allow the public to see the outline plans for each potential site and the reports to date.

This will be followed up by a public meeting in the evening for a presentation, comments and questions.

Caithness councillors were updated on the latest information on Monday 31st May and the Stakeholders Group had an update on Thursday 3rd June.

Councillor MacNab and myself held a short meeting with teachers and staff at Wick High School yesterday Monday 7th June.

We both followed that up by updating Wick Community Council at their meeting last night in Wick Police Station.

Wick and Caithness Landward councillors have also been invited to a meeting on Monday 14th June to meet Wick High Parent Council to discuss the announcement on the funding and where we go from here.

I have had many discussions with the Director of Education Hugh Fraser and the ECS estates manager Brian Hemming to update me as they have progressed with the work to date.

We were all delighted with the outcome as seen in the announcement regarding making £18.4 million available inlcuding money for a new swimming pool even if it was unexpected that we would get that included. However we are so glad that Wick High will now be able to look forward to having top class facilities that include not just a swimming pool but a running track, new football pitch and a community library.

The total cost for the school and new facilities is in the region of £34 million and represents not just the new school coming but will also be one of the biggest building projects in the north of Scotland creating much needed construction jobs for two years.

I hope as many people as possible will take the opportunity to look at the plans at the exhibition at the end of the month.

We hope that other large works projects will also be confirmed for Wick to bring in even more employment opportunities. Planning for the new council offices in Wick has been moving ahead and decisions on funding will be taken in the near future in what will be potentially around £8 million with all the constuction jobs that will flow from that.

On a slightly smaller scale but only by comparision is the fact the Councillor MacNab wearing her other hat as manager of Pultenytown People's Project hopes that their project to build a new Community Centre in the region of £3.5 million will commence in coming months. Almost all of the funding has been agreed for that project and is great credit to her and the committee. This again is a great project for Wick bringing in much needed finance for a long term series of projects to be housed in it and for the jobs created in the build.

Slightly further down the line but still being examined is the Nuclear Archive where Highland Council has promised to give land as its contribution near Wick airport. This is a Nuclear Decommissioning Ageny project but Highland Council will have a small part in it by transferring our archives at Wick library to the new facility once it is available. No firm dates are yet in place but the NDA is still committed to the poject with will create up to 20 full time permanent jobs.

I have strayed on from the swimming pool but I think it is important to understand that we are looking at several projects that will enhance Wick and indeed the whole county as well as creating much needed employment. These are flagship projects and there are many other things that we are doing to try to improve things even in the face of the hard budget times ahead.

WICKER10
08-Jun-10, 17:56
Just to clear up one or two points regarding the inclusion of a swimming pool in the new Wick High School money on offer fom Scottish Government.

Scottish Government and Highland Council are keen that we make any new secondary schools, community schools.

Scottish Government are offering us around £2million for a new pool which will be larger by two lanes although still 25 metres in length plus some tiered seating to make it more useable by audiences at galas etc.

The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn.

All jobs at the existing pool at the time the new one is completed will transfer to the new facility.

No decisions have been taken regarding the existing swimming pool. All that can be said and I have said it in one or two places that it is most unlikely we would commit to running two swimming pools in the area. Decisions on the future of the building are some way off.

The new pool will be bigger by two lanes and will therefor possibly offer opportunities to have more people in at any one time and perhaps split schools and public swimming at the same time. Decisions on that are probably not going to be taken until the new pool is nearer opening.

We have plenty of time to decide on these matters as build will not commence until 2012 and take about two years to build. There is still much to do in preparation.

ECS officials are now in the process of firming up plans for an open exhibition day and it looks like the potential date will be Monday 28th June. Details will be announced shortly. The exibition will allow the public to see the outline plans for each potential site and the reports to date.

This will be followed up by a public meeting in the evening for a presentation, comments and questions.

Caithness councillors were updated on the latest information on Monday 31st May and the Stakeholders Group had an update on Thursday 3rd June.

Councillor MacNab and myself held a short meeting with teachers and staff at Wick High School yesterday Monday 7th June.

We both followed that up by updating Wick Community Council at their meeting last night in Wick Police Station.

Wick and Caithness Landward councillors have also been invited to a meeting on Monday 14th June to meet Wick High Parent Council to discuss the announcement on the funding and where we go from here.

I have had many discussions with the Director of Education Hugh Fraser and the ECS estates manager Brian Hemming to update me as they have progressed with the work to date.

We were all delighted with the outcome as seen in the announcement regarding making £18.4 million available inlcuding money for a new swimming pool even if it was unexpected that we would get that included. However we are so glad that Wick High will now be able to look forward to having top class facilities that include not just a swimming pool but a running track, new football pitch and a community library.

The total cost for the school and new facilities is in the region of £34 million and represents not just the new school coming but will also be one of the biggest building projects in the north of Scotland creating much needed construction jobs for two years.

I hope as many people as possible will take the opportunity to look at the plans at the exhibition at the end of the month.

We hope that other large works projects will also be confirmed for Wick to bring in even more employment opportunities. Planning for the new council offices in Wick has been moving ahead and decisions on funding will be taken in the near future in what will be potentially around £8 million with all the constuction jobs that will flow from that.

On a slightly smaller scale but only by comparision is the fact the Councillor MacNab wearing her other hat as manager of Pultenytown People's Project hopes that their project to build a new Community Centre in the region of £3.5 million will commence in coming months. Almost all of the funding has been agreed for that porject and is great credit to her and the committee. This again is a great project for Wick bringing in much needed finance for a long term series of projects to be housed in it and for the jobs created in the build.

Slightly further down the line but still being examined is the Nuclear Archive where Highland Council has promised to give land as its contribution near Wick airport. This is a Nuclear Decommissioning Ageny project but Highland Council will have a small part in it by transferring our archives at Wick library to the new facility once it is available. No firm dates are yet in place but the NDA is still committed to the poject with will create up to 20 full time permanent jobs.

I have strayed on from the swimming pool but I think it is important to understand that we are looking at several projects that will enhance Wick and indeed the whole county as well as creating much needed employment. These are flagship projects and there are many other things that we are doing to try to improve things even in the face of the hard budget times ahead.
Thought Wick had Three Councillors No Mention of Cllr Smith is he Not involved in these Projects.

Bill Fernie
08-Jun-10, 18:13
Thought Wick had Three Councillors No Mention of Cllr Smith is he Not involved in these Projects.

All the councillors are involved to one extent or another. Remember Wick High School covers Wick and half of Caithness Landward wards.

All of the councillors who attended the last ward business meeting have been updated.

Councillor MacNab and myself thought we would offer to update and be available to the staff at the school with me in my dual role as Wick councillor and Chair of the Education Culture and Sport committee and Councillor MacNab as local councillor and the fact that she has two children attending Wick High. She attends the parent council meeting from time to time.

All the councillors have been very supportive of the process as we have moved along.

Venture
08-Jun-10, 20:02

The new school you speak of here Bill with a swimming pool, library etc. can only be accommodated on the Bignold Park, a site I may add that was brought into the equation by HRC. The "community" school you describe could not be built on the playing fields at the back of the school. According to HRC there is not enough room. The council do not own any other sutiable sites within the town.

If it becomes apparent from the public meeting that the people of Wick are strongly against the Bignold site, what will happen then?

Do HRC actually own the Bignold Park outright?

gollach
08-Jun-10, 20:45
If it becomes apparent from the public meeting that the people of Wick are strongly against the Bignold site, what will happen then?

Why do you think the pool was brought into the mix, Venture?

jacktar
08-Jun-10, 21:48
The swiming pool is the carrot, so as they can build at the Bignold Park.If they don't get to build on it there will be no new pool. If they do get to build they will then sell of the high school grounds. To me there seems to be ample room at the back of the school for what they intend. Look how long it took us to get the pool in the first place. Now they want to give us a brand new all singing dancing one. What are there motives?

"The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn."

As for "flag ship projects" what "hat" was being worn when the Pueltneytown heating project was fired up!

Leave the Bignold park as it is and build the much needed new school on the existing site.

gollach
09-Jun-10, 00:03
Why do you think the pool was brought into the mix, Venture?

My goodness. That's all I said and I got a bad rep from Florence. Watch what you say here folks.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jun-10, 07:05
The swiming pool is the carrot, so as they can build at the Bignold Park.If they don't get to build on it there will be no new pool. If they do get to build they will then sell of the high school grounds. To me there seems to be ample room at the back of the school for what they intend. Look how long it took us to get the pool in the first place. Now they want to give us a brand new all singing dancing one. What are there motives?

"The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn."

As for "flag ship projects" what "hat" was being worn when the Pueltneytown heating project was fired up!

Leave the Bignold park as it is and build the much needed new school on the existing site.

From the meeting I attended the pool was not the only point that was being spoken about although it did sound very impressive. :confused

To be able to fit everything in was why they were considering Bignold Park. Running track all weather pitch etc, etc. The games fields are what will take up the most room.The school building can be built a few stories high but the running tracks and games fields cannot. The council do not own all the land around the existing site and will have to buy land to fit it all in. The original school will have to remain so this also puts a pressure on for space.

The public meetings will be an excellent opportunity for those concerned to go along and see for themselves exactly what is being suggested as second hand information does not seem to be the best way to go.

Yes there may be a possibility of the existing pool being closed but as times are getting harder I fear that the existing pool will soon become a target any way.

The library is already under threat and the building is not in the best of conditions I was under the impression it does not meet legislation for disabled use etc, etc. By incorporating this into the new school no matter what site it is on this will safeguard the future of the library and staff.

I had the fortune of attending a Community school and it worked very well. Both public and pupils shared facilities. Adults and teenagers who wished to return to school and study were sitting alongside the younger pupils.

The school opened to the pubic and pupils from 8 in the morning until 8 or later in the evening and some classes were taught in the evening which was great for homework help.

The school was a focal point for the community with public performances being put on in the Theatre within the school.

As times are becoming harder and the best value for the pound is being looked for all options should be considered then debated, then acted on. All these facilities are being provided by the council individually at a cost which at the end of the day we are all contributing to with the council tax which will not always be frozen. By bringing them under one roof and securing them for the future can only be good for the people of Wick and the surrounding countryside.

The money is there waiting to be spent, spend it and quickly and wisely before a change of Government or poilcy sees it slipping from our grasp and Wick loses out on what can only be seen as the biggest opportunity in a long time.

The decision that is being made with regard to the New School will have to stay with us and our children for many years to come so its time now for everyone to pull together and make the best decision for this community and the children who will be the future of this community. :D

fender
09-Jun-10, 07:20
Excellent, passionate posting Alice. Not only our children but our grandchildren as well. We are talking 60 years here.

florence
09-Jun-10, 07:41

Well said Katarina. What we have to ask ourselves is why are the authorities putting forward ludicrous ideas they know full well will never fly. If it is to encourage debate and dialogue there are far more astute ways to achieve this.

Technology in our new school is far more important than shiny buildings, this may not be included in the same budget as a building programme but is more important to our children as they can experience the latest techniques in teaching, it is also good for the staff as it will retain current staff and attract new ones who are higher up the feeding chain when it comes to intellect.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jun-10, 09:16
Excellent, passionate posting Alice. Not only our children but our grandchildren as well. We are talking 60 years here.

Yes this is what we need to think about not the here and now but the future......... our childrens future. Times change, people change and the way we use our facilities change.

Many years ago ( when my dad was a boy ) there would have been an outcry if you made a move to close down the Trinkie or to divert people away from it.

Now you hardly see anyone out there.

Cattach
09-Jun-10, 09:22

I am certain there will not be two pools in Wick - the present school will close. Also please keep your hands off that wonderful open asset for the people of Wick, the Bignold Park. It is very well used by serious and junior football and just people wanting to play with their children. There is ample stace at the present school grounds for a new school - Dingwall is a good example where a great new school was built on the same campus.

wee sparkle
09-Jun-10, 09:43
Why is it that people are so against the Bignold park? In all honesty it doesn't offer us much at all, the only use it ever gets is by the football clubs (who would be able to use the new, better facilities which the new High School would bring) and the occasional dog walker.

I've heard that the football club can only use certain pitches to practice on because not all of them drain properly, so why not offer them something better?

I really do think the Bignold site is the best idea. We could have brand new facilities, better classrooms, and it would generally be a nicer place to be. I spent 6 years in the old crumbling building, and given the chance i'd have said yes to a new school in Bignold easily! The space at the back of the new building would be cramped, since the old building front will still be there and there isn't nearly as much land, and if we're being offered a new swimming pool, which wouldn't fit in to the back of the existing site unless made much smaller, then we should jump at the chance before its taken away.

You could even take the space at the back of the existing site and make a lovely park out of that? plus we'd still have the all-weather pitch which is there now, plus a new one at the school in Bignold.

My mum has been to pretty much every meeting she could have attended to do with this new high school, so i have indeed heard both sides and both project plans. I just think that we are throwing away a great opportunity, all to save a park which we could make better use of.

I think the exhibition is a great idea, and will be a good time to compare the two projects and see which one will best suit the needs of the local people and the children who will spend their time learning in the new school

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jun-10, 10:46
There is ample stace at the present school grounds for a new school - Dingwall is a good example where a great new school was built on the same campus.

If you check it out the people of Dingwall were originally against the place where the school sits and the loss of their visible green space.There was a huge debate about the positioning of the school. It got quite heated and very personal against some of the councillors involved.

As has been said there is not ample space in the grounds for everything and with the original building having to be left in place this has caused further constraints on the space needed. The school can be built in the grounds if ground is purchased and a new /wider road built at the bottom of Newton Hill/Road (Im not sure what that road is called) to accommodate the buses. The ground needed is zoned at present for housing I believe.

I wonder if the person who currently owns the ground would be as publicly spirited as the person who donated the ground for Bignold park ? Now that would help the council out :lol:

fender
09-Jun-10, 12:57
I am certain there will not be two pools in Wick - the present school will close. Also please keep your hands off that wonderful open asset for the people of Wick, the Bignold Park. It is very well used by serious and junior football and just people wanting to play with their children. There is ample stace at the present school grounds for a new school - Dingwall is a good example where a great new school was built on the same campus.

Sorry Cattach but you need draging into the 21st Century

katarina
09-Jun-10, 13:58
What about the gym if the old pool closes? I use it regularly and there is always lots of others there. I notice that there is no mention of a gym being Incorporated in the new proposals.
I'm not holding my breath about what is promised either. we waited so long for a pool, that we were promised an all singing all dancing one with flumes etc. what we got was pretty basic.
Will this happen to the new school too - once they've got the coveted Bignold park?
Yes lets grab it with both hands, before it disappears - but it's the waste of money in a time when there are so many cut backs that maddens me. So the money isn't available for anything else - So we can't blame the councilors, but why can't the people who make the decisions ion the first place look at where money can be saved and utilize it better. On a more basic level it's like a hard up housewife buying a new washing machine instead of fixing the old one at one eighth of the price!
I would also like to see a return to the old days when evening classes covered everything. Having left school too soon, I took all my highers at evening classes. I also took French, woodwork and dressmaking at different times.
Now there seems to be very little on offer, and even the college is under threat. I know the PPP do several things and good on them, but some people can't attend anything during the day.

caithnessian
09-Jun-10, 14:06
Have you seen the width of Newton Road?! It would need substantial widening which would require compulsory purchase of farm fields and rebuilding of pavements etc. When people are having such arguments over saving every penny possible why go to this added expense and work when the roads around Bignold Park are all wide enough for buses already and in addition has the bus stop and parking area at the south road entrance which could be used as a drop off point for the buses.
Another positive over using the Bignold park is that being more central more kids would be able to walk to school..voila less congestion!

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jun-10, 14:50
What about the gym if the old pool closes? I use it regularly and there is always lots of others there. I notice that there is no mention of a gym being Incorporated in the new proposals.

Of course the new school will have a gym along with many other facilities and why not open it up to the public for use this is all part of being a Community School.

Just an idea but there is more than one way to skin a cat. If a private company or group was willing and able they could approach Highland Council with respect to taking over the existing pool and Gym and running it as a Private Sports centre. Times are hard and unfortunately getting harder and many tough decisions regarding nice to have centres will be taken in the near future. If Highland Council are looking at closing Schools and cutting back on other things then pools and Gyms will be in the firing line if not now then I can guarantee in the future unless someone finds that elusive money tree in the bottom of their garden.

I'm not holding my breath about what is promised either. we waited so long for a pool, that we were promised an all singing all dancing one with flumes etc. what we got was pretty basic.
Will this happen to the new school too - once they've got the coveted Bignold park?

Okay so if you got what you refer to as a pretty basic pool then it should be great news that the new allocation of money includes I think around £2 million for a bigger better pool. :confused

Yes lets grab it with both hands, before it disappears - but it's the waste of money in a time when there are so many cut backs that maddens me. So the money isn't available for anything else - So we can't blame the councilors, but why can't the people who make the decisions ion the first place look at where money can be saved and utilize it better.

By incorporating all these facilities under one roof will allow millions of pounds worth off savings in the coming years. I don't understand ...................are you saying that spending money on a Brand new school a good chunk of the finance is being given on a plate by the Scottish Government is a waste of money and that they should just repair the old one?

On a more basic level it's like a hard up housewife buying a new washing machine instead of fixing the old one at one eighth of the price!

The costings which were given showed that this was not the case.............. fixing the old washing machine as you put it was like trying to make an old fashioned twin tub work like an all singing all dancing automatic washer dryer for the same price and costing you more for years to come to maintain ... there is just no comparison.

I would also like to see a return to the old days when evening classes covered everything. Having left school too soon, I took all my highers at evening classes. I also took French, woodwork and dressmaking at different times.
Now there seems to be very little on offer, and even the college is under threat. I know the PPP do several things and good on them, but some people can't attend anything during the day.

With an all new Community School no matter what location this is all possible.It can be inclusive for all members of the community young, old, able and disabled for many years to come. Its something to be very positive and excited about. :D

scorrie
09-Jun-10, 18:17
The new school you speak of here Bill with a swimming pool, library etc. can only be accommodated on the Bignold Park, a site I may add that was brought into the equation by HRC. The "community" school you describe could not be built on the playing fields at the back of the school. According to HRC there is not enough room. The council do not own any other sutiable sites within the town.

Do HRC actually own the Bignold Park outright?

I wonder how much of this is about having a site and then planning a school to best fit and how much is about designing a school first and then looking around for a site?

Does this, basically, boil down to the fact that HRC can't sell the Bignold Park whereas they CAN sell the old school/site?

What I recall from early polling on the matter, was that both teachers and pupils were largely against the idea of the Bignold Park as a site. I had a chap from the School Parents round the door the other with a postcard for selecting a preferred site between the two on the table at the moment, and it is due to go to Alex Salmond now that I have voted against the Bignold Park as the potential site. It may not be Central Park in New York but I like the Bignold Park the way it is and it was gifted to the town for the purpose it currently serves. Banging a School on it, no matter how high spec that school may be, and selling the Old School/Site to pocket some cash, is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the man who donated the park and I quote "to be used as a public area and recreation ground"

I read in the Groat that costings had been done for both sites. Since some of the commentary seems to suggest that we are going to get The Sydney Opera House at the Bignold Park, compared to a Nissen Hut at the back of the current school, I am somewhat puzzled to see the costs listed as £32 Million for the Bignold, compared to £31.8 for the existing school playing fields.

Opinions will vary and if it turns out more people favour the Bignold I will respect that decision. If they don't the other site will surely have to do. This is assuming the process is ultimately a truly democratic one.

unicorn
09-Jun-10, 18:34
Just out of interest if it is to be a community school, how do you ensure the suitablity of persons entering the school where children are?

brandy
09-Jun-10, 20:58
thats what threw me.. if any joe blog can come and go into the school then how can they assure the saftey of the children at school?

cuddlepop
09-Jun-10, 21:37
Just out of interest if it is to be a community school, how do you ensure the suitablity of persons entering the school where children are?

You dont get past the front door so you wont be mixing with the kids.Separate access for library/pool so you have no need to be in amongst the school.

If anyones over on Skye come to our community facilitie and see if you can get a public swim during school hours,read a book in peace and not feel like an unwelcome visitor.

What ever you are promised at the public meeting take it with a pinch of salt.:(

fender
09-Jun-10, 22:07
I wonder how much of this is about having a site and then planning a school to best fit and how much is about designing a school first and then looking around for a site?

Does this, basically, boil down to the fact that HRC can't sell the Bignold Park whereas they CAN sell the old school/site?

What I recall from early polling on the matter, was that both teachers and pupils were largely against the idea of the Bignold Park as a site. I had a chap from the School Parents round the door the other with a postcard for selecting a preferred site between the two on the table at the moment, and it is due to go to Alex Salmond now that I have voted against the Bignold Park as the potential site. It may not be Central Park in New York but I like the Bignold Park the way it is and it was gifted to the town for the purpose it currently serves. Banging a School on it, no matter how high spec that school may be, and selling the Old School/Site to pocket some cash, is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the man who donated the park and I quote "to be used as a public area and recreation ground"

I read in the Groat that costings had been done for both sites. Since some of the commentary seems to suggest that we are going to get The Sydney Opera House at the Bignold Park, compared to a Nissen Hut at the back of the current school, I am somewhat puzzled to see the costs listed as £32 Million for the Bignold, compared to £31.8 for the existing school playing fields.

Opinions will vary and if it turns out more people favour the Bignold I will respect that decision. If they don't the other site will surely have to do. This is assuming the process is ultimately a truly democratic one.

What a load of guff. You cannot go on living in the past. Sydney Opera House indeed. Accept the truth which I see from the paper today is not what the chap from the Parent Council advised you.

scorrie
09-Jun-10, 22:51
What a load of guff. You cannot go on living in the past. Sydney Opera House indeed. Accept the truth which I see from the paper today is not what the chap from the Parent Council advised you.

Not very eloquent it would seem. Are you one of the "Willie One Liners" who pop up on forums decrying other people without putting anything worth a monkey's forward themselves?

The chap from the Parent Council never advised me on anything by the way. He gave me a postcard with two options to tick and kindly loaned me a pen.

Would you care to elaborate on this magic truth you talk of? I never tend to associate newspapers and absolute truth.

Would you care to put something more meaningful forward? Otherwise I will just have to dismiss your output so far with a phrase my Mother used:-

"There's more sense in a Tuppenny watch!!"

Venture
09-Jun-10, 22:58
TRUTH - CHAP - COUNCIL - all in the same sentence. There's a first time for everything.[lol]

Venture
09-Jun-10, 23:07
If it wasn't for the Parent Council Campaign, there would be NO new school. Now that is the truth.:D

florence
10-Jun-10, 07:06
Well I hope no one brings a load o CHaPs into to this because that is such a successful venture in comparison. I normally spend my day on financial bulletin boards (in between the washing and ironing) and its a well known ploy of shorters to pop up and promote or decry a company in an effort to manipulate the share price of said company.

These issues are frustrating many Parents and I guess until a credible plan is decided they will continue to do so. Good luck to the parents who attend school meetings, is it possible to call a spade a spade at these meetings?

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-10, 07:59
is it possible to call a spade a spade at these meetings?

Yes you can call a spade a spade ( whether you are being listened to is a different matter. ;) )

I would hope that in the next few meetings both with parents, councillors and public that talking, listening and understanding is done by all parties. This will be the best way to move forward an exciting opportunity for not only the people of Wick but the surrounding rural communities who will all benefit from such an investment. :)

florence
10-Jun-10, 08:13
I would hope that in the next few meetings both with parents, councillors and public that talking, listening and understanding is done by all parties. :)[/quote]

So how long does the next few meetings take ? I'm all for parties communicationg in a transparent manner however more than one agenda tends to be on the table. Will their be a decision in these next fewww meetings?

Its none of my business to decide where money is invested.

katarina
10-Jun-10, 11:34
Of course the new school will have a gym along with many other facilities and why not open it up to the public for use this is all part of being a Community School.
:D

this is the first time I've heard public gym mentioned.

Just an idea but there is more than one way to skin a cat. If a private company or group was willing and able they could approach Highland Council with respect to taking over the existing pool and Gym and running it as a Private Sports centre. Times are hard and unfortunately getting harder and many tough decisions regarding nice to have centres will be taken in the near future. If Highland Council are looking at closing Schools and cutting back on other things then pools and Gyms will be in the firing line if not now then I can guarantee in the future unless someone finds that elusive money tree in the bottom of their garden. :D

This is the very reason money should not be wasted replacing perfectly adiquate facilities

Okay so if you got what you refer to as a pretty basic pool then it should be great news that the new allocation of money includes I think around £2 million for a bigger better pool.. :D

two lanes bigger. With spectator seating. Hardly worth £2 million I would say.

katarina
10-Jun-10, 11:35
By incorporating all these facilities under one roof will allow millions of pounds worth off savings in the coming years. I don't understand ...................are you saying that spending money on a Brand new school a good chunk of the finance is being given on a plate by the Scottish Government is a waste of money and that they should just repair the old one? :D

Where did I say that? Of course i want a new singing and dancing SCHOOL, but not the added facilities if it means closure of other facilities in the town. It's the gross waste of money at a time when there are so many cutbacks makes no sense to me.

The costings which were given showed that this was not the case.............. fixing the old washing machine as you put it was like trying to make an old fashioned twin tub work like an all singing all dancing automatic washer dryer for the same price and costing you more for years to come to maintain ... there is just no comparison. :D

So you are saying our children's EDUCATION will be the worse for not having a public swimming pool/library on the premises? And the £2million which could be spent on EDUCATION should be spent on facilities that already exist in the town?

With an all new Community School no matter what location this is all possible.It can be inclusive for all members of the community young, old, able and disabled for many years to come. Its something to be very positive and excited about. :D

I am excited about the new school. It's the community bit that worries me.

katarina
10-Jun-10, 11:39
You dont get past the front door so you wont be mixing with the kids.Separate access for library/pool so you have no need to be in amongst the school.

If anyones over on Skye come to our community facilitie and see if you can get a public swim during school hours,read a book in peace and not feel like an unwelcome visitor.

What ever you are promised at the public meeting take it with a pinch of salt.:(

Maybe all those visitors to the area who want to use the facilities are not allowed access to the actual school, but children DO go into the grounds during breaks. Putting all the public facilities in the one place will give potential pedophiles a heyday!

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-10, 12:41
Putting all the public facilities in the one place will give potential pedophiles a heyday!

Children also wander to the co-op regularly during the day at breaks and also to many of the shops at lunchtime, so equally the same paedophiles can prey on them in these public places with possibly less supervision.

In the school where CCTV plays a big part of watching the little darlings I would like to think that this would be used for monitoring activities in high risk areas.

I dont know how this works but there are many community schools in Scotland so I feel sure that this will have been covered. :)

gollach
10-Jun-10, 16:48
In the school where CCTV plays a big part of watching the little darlings I would like to think that this would be used for monitoring activities in high risk areas.

No point relying on CCTV. Every time you want cctv evidence the cameras point wrong way or were not on!

florence
10-Jun-10, 16:57
It certainly doesn't take long to get to the bottom of some arguments. All references to Peadophiles should be screened by the Moderator. Ta Ta for now.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-10, 19:47
this is the first time I've heard public gym mentioned.

I didnt say it was a public gym I said why not open it up to the public. You asked what about a gym there was no mention of it being public or otherwise. I replied there would be a Gym and suggested that they may wish to open it up to the public.

This is the very reason money should not be wasted replacing perfectly adiquate facilities

Adequate your words not mine .................. so if you are offered better facilities than those which are in existence, using funding that many other schools and councils are sitting itching to receive and has been forecast to over the years save money would you say no our area can make do with adequate and we would rather pay more in the long run. :confused
I have read many posts on the org saying Wick are the poor relations and everything goes to Inverness and other areas .......... now something is being offered to Wick.

two lanes bigger. With spectator seating. Hardly worth £2 million I would say.

I don't know about the costings I know its amazing how the pennies soon stack up when building.

Where did I say that? Of course i want a new singing and dancing SCHOOL, but not the added facilities if it means closure of other facilities in the town. It's the gross waste of money at a time when there are so many cutbacks makes no sense to me.

You didn't say that ....................I was asking you a question because I didn't understand what you were getting at. These facilities under one roof were according to the figures set down in front of us at a meeting predicted to make vast savings over the coming years............... sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

Yes there are many cutbacks in the offing and many more to come by leaving a lot of stand alone facilities in place the costs will always be higher than if they were under one roof and in time they themselves become a vulnerable target.

We all pay our taxes and community charge ( or is that another thread ) and we will all be seeing this rise over the next few years. If these moves can help to reduce costs in the future thus saving money in the long run is this not good ?

So you are saying our children's EDUCATION will be the worse for not having a public swimming pool/library on the premises? And the £2million which could be spent on EDUCATION should be spent on facilities that already exist in the town?

NO I am not saying that.The £2 million pound if not spent on a pool will go back to the Government the only losers then would be the people who could utilise a much larger pool with seating to watch what is happening and those in jobs who may not be in them when the axe possibly comes as there is no where for them to go.

I am excited about the new school. It's the community bit that worries me.

We all have worries and concerns and it is good to air them and debate them so that we get all the right answers. :D

brandy
10-Jun-10, 20:21
would this be a gym like the gym we have now? i thought you had to be a certain age to use gym equipment anyway.. and that it was not recommended for anyone under the age of 16?

glaikit
10-Jun-10, 20:21
Surely there must be alternatives to building on the Bignold Park? There are lots of people who regularly use this space and just because it's not in an 'official' capacity, doesn't make it any less valid. There are very few green spaces in the town.
Does anyone else smell "mendacity" in this whole thing? :eek:

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-10, 20:34
would this be a gym like the gym we have now? i thought you had to be a certain age to use gym equipment anyway.. and that it was not recommended for anyone under the age of 16?

I am not sure what is planned exactly Brandy regarding a Gym however the council did say they would hold open days for people to go along and see for themselves what is involved and you can ask as many questions as you can think off. I certainly can think of a few. :)

fender
10-Jun-10, 21:10
Surely there must be alternatives to building on the Bignold Park? There are lots of people who regularly use this space and just because it's not in an 'official' capacity, doesn't make it any less valid. There are very few green spaces in the town.

"Mendacity" - explain please?

Venture
10-Jun-10, 21:19
Well I always thought "mendacity" meant a tendency to lie.;)

scorrie
11-Jun-10, 01:11
Well I always thought "mendacity" meant a tendency to lie.;)

Luckily, there are many on-line dictionaries these days. This is a great boon for anyone who can use Google, yet it is obviously not a foolproof solution.

Dictionaries are a terrific tool, for they bring a wide range of words to the table and, sometimes, they can improve our spelling of those words. Incorrect spelling is not a sin, we all do it from time to time, yet most English teachers will probably draw it to our attention, no doubt to try to avoid the use of, for example, "Pleas" instead of the word "Please" and the ensuing confusion it would lead to.

From our grasp of words comes the progression to phrases, sentences, paragraphs and a, hopefully, complete understanding of a passage. Sadly, the one-line mentality can often remain. This may lead to a situation where a person could recite the Gettysburg Address, only for another person to rely solely one the, undeniably pithy, response of "Bollocks"

All the talk of a new School brings to mind the notion that some people should, perhaps, be forced to go back there in their adulthood. Not for any reasons of lack of learning in Mathematics, English or Geography etc, but simply for more basic lessons, such as learning to respect other people's opinions and, at least, putting forward a sensible argument about why you disagree with what they say. However, it isn't going to happen, and there is one simple reason for this:-

As Aristotle said to Wayne Rooney, regarding the two signature cheque cashing procedure, :-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/280.png

florence
11-Jun-10, 07:54
Luckily, there are many on-line dictionaries these days. This is a great boon for anyone who can use Google, yet it is obviously not a foolproof solution.

Dictionaries are a terrific tool, for they bring a wide range of words to the table and, sometimes, they can improve our spelling of those words. Incorrect spelling is not a sin, we all do it from time to time, yet most English teachers will probably draw it to our attention, no doubt to try to avoid the use of, for example, "Pleas" instead of the word "Please" and the ensuing confusion it would lead to.

From our grasp of words comes the progression to phrases, sentences, paragraphs and a, hopefully, complete understanding of a passage. Sadly, the one-line mentality can often remain. This may lead to a situation where a person could recite the Gettysburg Address, only for another person to rely solely one the, undeniably pithy, response of "Bollocks"

All the talk of a new School brings to mind the notion that some people should, perhaps, be forced to go back there in their adulthood. Not for any reasons of lack of learning in Mathematics, English or Geography etc, but simply for more basic lessons, such as learning to respect other people's opinions and, at least, putting forward a sensible argument about why you disagree with what they say. However, it isn't going to happen, and there is one simple reason for this:-

As Aristotle said to Wayne Rooney, regarding the two signature cheque cashing procedure, :-

Rauchess Laughter.... lol for the kids

katarina
11-Jun-10, 09:23

That's the point I was getting at. Of course all schools have a gym, but will it include the equipment and be open to the public?

Venture
11-Jun-10, 09:27

[lol] Good post there scorrie.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of folk with "opinions" on the new school who choose to hide behind keyboards. The biggest disappointment in all of this for those who have been trying so hard to get this new school, is the lack of bums on seats. Perhaps some need to realise that there is a real world out there. One in which the truth will out in the end.;)

katarina
11-Jun-10, 09:34

The bignold park should always stay as it is - Although few more trees to make it more attractive would not go amiss. I live on the other side of town, but I am still 100 per cent against building there. How many parks are there in wick? For the size of an ever growing town, there is only the Bignold and the riverside. And if Westerseat didn't own the adjoining land you can bet your bottom dollar they would be building on it too. How many times over the years have the powers that be wanted to use that bignold to build on? What about all that land near the airport? I don't know how much the council own, but there seems to be ample room.
And what about the area at Thistle park? I thought it was once designated for the building of council houses, then the council stopped building and it has been lying fallow ever since. Okay - i might have all this wrong - I'm sure some one will put me right if I am. i'm just asking why there are only two possibilities put forward.

florence
11-Jun-10, 13:30
Actions do tend to speak louder than words right enuf. I became interested in this topic because of the breadth of discussion, will it really matter for more bums to be parked on seats in meetings ?

Being from Wick I can see inferences being brought into this discussion that are misplaced, I'm not particularly interested in why. Sorting the wheat out from the chaff would be my first order of the day.

veritas
11-Jun-10, 15:13
Remember this is not a Wick School it is a High School and community facilities for the East side of Caithness !!!!! folk in JOG or Dunbeath have as much say in this as anyone else

florence
11-Jun-10, 16:02
Sometimes rural perspectives are much more in focus. Imagine arriving in 5th year at High School in Dundee and getting called a teuchter by your maths teacher. They come from Watten I said !!! Rurall

florence
11-Jun-10, 16:09
We're all teuchters at the end of the day.