PDA

View Full Version : Cuts, Cuts and more Cuts!!!

macbreeza
07-Jun-10, 18:31
Ok the news today has got me thinking........we are going to be in for it soon when the new government makes clear where it's spending cuts will be. And all after the Lib Dems saying they wouldn't before they came into power. I voted so I feel I have the right to comment on this and I feel that those who didn't bother their ass to vote will just have to shut up and take it!

I would love to get a hold of the benefits system and start there.........also public sector sick pay I would stop it and save lots of work days wasted through fake sickness because workers know they will get paid for it. I work in the public sector but spent 10 years in retail and I only had a sick day if i was really really ill because I knew i wouldn't get paid for it and would only get SSP only after the 3rd day. I had an insurance when I had my own place to cover my bills, mortgage etc if I was off work ill so it's perfectly reasonable. I just think some folk would think twice about taking sickies which cost millions a year if they did not get paid for them. No need to pay for supply teachers who are on a silly amount of money per day or to those bent coppers off sick for months on full pay who then take early retirement with a big fat pension grrrrrrrrrr.

Ok this is only my opinion!!!! I would be very interested to find other orgers point of view:)

If you were in government and had to save £60bn how would you save it??

Green_not_greed
07-Jun-10, 18:51
I's stop the obscene subsidies on offer through the RoC system.

And BTW I agree about cutting benefits and SSP - good place to start.

And why do civil servants get paid bonuses?

macbreeza
07-Jun-10, 18:58
I would keep the Statutory Sick Pay as it's only about £80 a week and it's for everyone regardless of your work's sickness policy, what i would stop is the off sick on full pay perk the public sector enjoys. You can have up to 6 months off on full pay if you work in further education, schools etc. What a joke considering the holidays also on offer !!

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 19:39
Maybe I'll get slapped for this one....but I am from Caithness.....
1.7 million motorized vehicles, seemingly mostly cars, given out free thru the Mobility program since 1977.
And they will pay for you to get your drivers licence, and road tax!

Sara Jevo
07-Jun-10, 19:51
£60 billion?

Yer dreaming!

The country's debt is forecast to reach £1.something trillion by 2014, and the deficit is running at something like £160 billion a year.

The £6bn of cuts announced for this year just pays the interest for a few weeks.

£60bn will start to bring it down . . . just.

It's going to take a pretty radical rethink of the country's spending priorities.

The coalition says it wants the savings drawn 80 per cent from spending cuts and 20 per cent from tax rises.

It's not going to be pleasant.

I'd start with nuclear weapons . . . what a pointless waste of money they are.

The Olypmic Games? Offload them to a country that can afford it.

The Royal Family? Tell em to stop sponging off the state.

Punitive taxes for bankers? Absolutely - they're the ones who got us into this mess.

Subsidies for Britons living abroad? Get rid of em.

But the cost of all that will hardly make any dent at all.

horseman
07-Jun-10, 19:57
Some people need those few grand a time donations just to get along--
Not a nice place to be, but a whole lot better than dead.

Angela
07-Jun-10, 19:57
Maybe I'll get slapped for this one....but I am from Caithness.....
1.7 million motorized vehicles, seemingly mostly cars, given out free thru the Mobility program since 1977.
And they will pay for you to get your drivers licence, and road tax!

Not exactly free, sandy. Motabilty vehicles are on loan to people who receive the Higher Rate Mobility element of the Disability Living Allowance. The driver hands over the DLA payment in exchange for the car, which never actually belongs to the disabled driver -it's a subsidised rental.

No doubt there are cases where this scheme is abused, as sadly all systems seem to be abused by a minority of people, but it's pretty much a life saver to many folk who would otherwise be prisoners in their own homes. I feel sure that the vast majority of them would much rather not be disabled - a cheap car doesn't make up for ill health and loss of mobility - but most people really appreciate how it gives them a degree of independence so they don't have to rely so much on other folk.

Sandra_B
07-Jun-10, 20:00
I'd get rid of child benefit and raise prescription charges.

macbreeza
07-Jun-10, 20:00
The Olypmic Games? Offload them to a country that can afford it.

The Royal Family? Tell em to stop sponging off the state.

Punitive taxes for bankers? Absolutely - they're the ones who got us into this mess.

Agree 100% with you there, the £60bn I quoted was just for starters and not hugely relevant as none of us know the exact figures of what would be saved if OUR cuts were implemented, it was more to guauge opinion, what would count as acceptable cuts and what wouldn't.

catran
07-Jun-10, 20:51
Not exactly free, sandy. Motabilty vehicles are on loan to people who receive the Higher Rate Mobility element of the Disability Living Allowance. The driver hands over the DLA payment in exchange for the car, which never actually belongs to the disabled driver -it's a subsidised rental.

No doubt there are cases where this scheme is abused, as sadly all systems seem to be abused by a minority of people, but it's pretty much a life saver to many folk who would otherwise be prisoners in their own homes. I feel sure that the vast majority of them would much rather not be disabled - a cheap car doesn't make up for ill health and loss of mobility - but most people really appreciate how it gives them a degree of independence so they don't have to rely so much on other folk.

I quite agree there are genuine cases that need mobility especially when there is a young family.Lot of good actors about though if its not a bad back its arthritis and cant walk ,lots claiming that do not need it. Bus service is now good and disabled friendly so a little scooter should suffice. Now the IN illness is STRESS, six months full pay 6 months half pay every other year??What about those about to retire from menial jobs and cannot afford the luxury of purchasing, insuring and taxing a car on their wee state pension?????Have to make do with the bus pass.

Angela
07-Jun-10, 21:16
I quite agree there are genuine cases that need mobility especially when there is a young family.Lot of good actors about though if its not a bad back its arthritis and cant walk ,lots claiming that do not need it. Bus service is now good and disabled friendly so a little scooter should suffice. Now the IN illness is STRESS, six months full pay 6 months half pay every other year??What about those about to retire from menial jobs and cannot afford the luxury of purchasing, insuring and taxing a car on their wee state pension?????Have to make do with the bus pass.

One of the 'genuine cases' was my friend who died just recently from motor neurone disease. He was in his early 60s and until then he had worked all his life. Having an adapted motability car meant that he and his wife -who can't drive due to an eye problem - could still get out now and then until his condition got too bad. Of course MND is terminal, sooner rather than later. A 'little scooter' wouldn't have been any good to him at all. :(

"Disability" isn't just about having a leg or back problem.

Of course when my pal died the car had to be returned, so his wife is indeed having to use her free bus pass -and she's very glad to have it.

I feel sad at the way genuinely sick and disabled people are being targeted in the present economic climate. Yes, yes, yes! I know there are some people who cheat the system, and I know folk will say "oh, but we didn't mean your friend!", but I don't think it's right that anyone should say what a sick or disabled person can 'make do' with, when they have no knowledge at all of the individual's situation.

However we got into this mess, we really do all need to pull together to get out of it, and to stop judging and demonising whole groups of vulnerable people. But then they're a soft target, aren't they?

Catran, would you really rather have to live with pain, loss of mobility and maybe a shortened life expectancy just to get a subsidised car rather than use a free bus pass? :confused

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 21:55
Angela.....However we got into this mess, we really do all need to pull together to get out of it, and to stop judging and demonising whole groups of vulnerable people. But then they're a soft target, aren't they?

I left the UK in the early 70's and only recently heard about the subsidised cars. But they are paid for by the Gov't..which is the people..people pay the taxes. Doesn't matter...and free bus passes. Wow/ sometime you should go to another Country and see the real World.
'Am no pickan on yee'. After being away 40 years I find your 'perks' pretty decent.

Kenn
07-Jun-10, 21:59
Scrap Trident.
Bring home The British Army of The Rhine.
Abolish all quangos.
Take out all middle management in The NHS and reduce the higher levels of management, leaving front line services intact.
Abolish self certification for sickness and no one to be paid unless they can produce a certificate signed by a doctor.
Abolish retirement pensions based on final salary for all civil servants,in fact thansfer all their pensions to private funds that they have to contribute to in the same way as those in the private sector.
Councils to be stopped from paying excessive fees to independent consultants.
All government and civil service supply contracts to be put out to tender.
Ensure that all fiscal laws/ rules are strictly adhered to by the banking system.

Just a few ideas to toss into the pot.

Angela
07-Jun-10, 22:11
Angela.....However we got into this mess, we really do all need to pull together to get out of it, and to stop judging and demonising whole groups of vulnerable people. But then they're a soft target, aren't they?

I left the UK in the early 70's and only recently heard about the subsidised cars. But they are paid for by the Gov't..which is the people..people pay the taxes. Doesn't matter...and free bus passes. Wow/ sometime you should go to another Country and see the real World.

'Am no pickan on yee'. After being away 40 years I find your 'perks' pretty decent.

Well yes Sandy, but we're the people who paid the taxes in the first place! If a guy has worked till his sixties and so has his wife, and they have both paid tax and NI all these 40 odd years, and their grown up children are now working and paying their taxes - and he develops a really horrible terminal illness and needs some financial help from the State for a short time before he dies, I don't see why he shouldn't get it.

I didn't suggest that you were picking on me, Sandy, but I have to say that I have been to other countries, have friends in several other countries and I haven't always lived in Scotland. The world I live in is 'the real world'.

As you say, you have been away quite a while! We're not all scroungers and layabouts here you know! ;)

golach
07-Jun-10, 22:18

Sandy, I suggest you try fixing your adopted countries problems,before you criticize ours, people over here who have Mobility problems often work and pay taxes like everyone else, their Mobility car is NOT FREE, and is funded by the Health Service, and many need the car to get to their place of employment.
The Free bus pass system was started by the Scottish Labour Party and has now been adopted by England and Wales. Only over 60's can qualify for these.
We do get free TV licenses when we reach the age of 80, unless we get run down by Canadian visitors who cannot understand our driving system [lol]

telfordstar
07-Jun-10, 22:30
I'd get rid of child benefit and raise prescription charges.

Why Child benefit?

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 22:36
Sandy, I suggest you try fixing your adopted countries problems,before you criticize ours, people over here who have Mobility problems often work and pay taxes like everyone else, their Mobility car is NOT FREE, and is funded by the Health Service, and many need the car to get to their place of employment.
The Free bus pass system was started by the Scottish Labour Party and has now been adopted by England and Wales. Only over 60's can qualify for these.
We do get free TV licenses when we reach the age of 80, unless we get run down by Canadian visitors who cannot understand our driving system [lol]

Now now Mr G...not a criticizm....but....they don't pay for it or road tax or driving lessons.....so they get a Mobility Pension and that pays for the car..where does that pension come from? I think that the theory...just becase I paid into it, does not mean that I take out of it to get even...I am truly amazed at your 'perks'. And that is not making fun of it...The US is in big trouble and they don't have these perks...just crooks as we do & u do.

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 22:40
Well yes Sandy, but we're the people who paid the taxes in the first place! If a guy has worked till his sixties and so has his wife, and they have both paid tax and NI all these 40 odd years, and their grown up children are now working and paying their taxes - and he develops a really horrible terminal illness and needs some financial help from the State for a short time before he dies, I don't see why he shouldn't get it.

I didn't suggest that you were picking on me, Sandy, but I have to say that I have been to other countries, have friends in several other countries and I haven't always lived in Scotland. The world I live in is 'the real world'.

As you say, you have been away quite a while! We're not all scroungers and layabouts here you know! ;)

A discussion not about scroungers.....
So what happens to those of us..I did.. pay into my own personal pension so that I would be OK in old age and in sickness???
As Mr. G said we all have probs, but 1.7 million vehicles in 33 years///thats a costly business....

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 22:43
Scrap Trident.
Bring home The British Army of The Rhine.
Abolish all quangos.
Take out all middle management in The NHS and reduce the higher levels of management, leaving front line services intact.
Abolish self certification for sickness and no one to be paid unless they can produce a certificate signed by a doctor.
Abolish retirement pensions based on final salary for all civil servants,in fact thansfer all their pensions to private funds that they have to contribute to in the same way as those in the private sector.
Councils to be stopped from paying excessive fees to independent consultants.
Ensure that all fiscal laws/ rules are strictly adhered to by the banking system.

Just a few ideas to toss into the pot.

Self Certification...Another new one....maybe I am getting olde and non understanding......that Ok with you Mr. G?

golach
07-Jun-10, 22:53
....maybe I am getting olde and non understanding......that Ok with you Mr. G?

Poor excuse Mr S, I used it first, the getting owld bit.[lol]

rainbow
07-Jun-10, 23:03
I would cut the benefits of the parents who quite openly admit to having loads of children and expect the state to pay! Both parents say they cannot work as they must look after the children -well don't have so many if you can't afford them, and expect me a taxpayer to pay for them. Yes I know accidents do happen, but not the amount some families have. Take the case of a recent family in the press - they are having their 14th child, and admit to having all mod cons in their house, and both the parents do not work, as they have to stay at home and care for the family. It is also not worth their while financially to work - and they have the nerve to complain that the council will not give them a bigger house (when their rent is even paid for by the state). Quite often these children will grow up with the same expectations that their parents have - that the state will help them and they don't need to work. Would they still have all these children if there was not a welfare state? Sorry to go on but this really annoys me and is ripping off and abusing the taxpayer.

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 23:07
Poor excuse Mr S, I used it first, the getting owld bit.[lol]

The World is evolving as it should.... or as it deserves!! Am finis...ty...s

EDDIE
07-Jun-10, 23:23
Well with everyone living longer i can see them upping the retirement age to 70 that would save them a lot of money.
But i do think all these banks that caused the recession and the taxpayer had to bail them out its about time for payback and with interest its about time the banks pay for there mistakes.
But i often wonder how all off a sudden they cut identify ways to save millions in there budget and why were they not doing this before.
If they want to raise more money why cant they up the fines so the criminals suffer financially for the actions.

Bazeye
07-Jun-10, 23:26
Why Child benefit?

Get child benefit for the first two. if you cant afford them dont have them.

Bazeye
07-Jun-10, 23:27
Scrap Trident.

The Tridents have already been built and are in operation.

EDDIE
07-Jun-10, 23:28
Get child benefit for the first two. if you cant afford them dont have them.

If you cant afford them dont have them approach all that leads to in 16 year down the road to lack of people for jobs so u have to rely on foriegn workers comming

Bazeye
07-Jun-10, 23:28
Get out of the EU.

George Brims
08-Jun-10, 00:50
Subsidies for Britons living abroad? Get rid of em.
What? I can get a subsidy? How do I apply?

George Brims
08-Jun-10, 01:00
Abolish all quangos.
That would cost MORE money. A quango is often a way for the government to do something without adding a department to the Civil Service. The various science research councils for example, or the Forestry Commission.

And where are you going to find the money to pay all those extra doctors?

Abolish retirement pensions based on final salary for all civil servants,in fact transfer all their pensions to private funds that they have to contribute to in the same way as those in the private sector.
Not as simple as it sounds. You can't change people's pension terms after they have worked their whole career on the basis of one set of conditions. And civil servants are generally paid less than the rate for the same type of work in the private sector.

Last time I looked they were, and you could get in deep trouble, including going to jail, for bypassing the process.

Good luck with that. Those guys know how to weasel round rules.

ducati
08-Jun-10, 08:09
Make Scotland, Wales and Northern Island independent and withdraw financial assistance [lol]

Sara Jevo
08-Jun-10, 08:13
It seems to me the new Government will see this as an opportunity to wipe out most of the public sector culture in the UK and let private companies move into the space.

It probably means a lot of services will continue to be available, but on a commercial model that involves fees and charges.

There will be some sacred cows I imagine - the intelligence services or the military or whatever. But the ideology of the Conservatives is likely to shine through the rest of the public sector.

Their objective will be to shrink the public sector payroll to the lowest level that is politically acceptable.

Osborne says Treasury will consult on spending priorities (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10261136.stm)

Sandra_B
08-Jun-10, 08:59
If you cant afford them dont have them approach all that leads to in 16 year down the road to lack of people for jobs so u have to rely on foriegn workers comming

People will stop having kids if there is no child benefit? I have 2, I don't get child benefit.