PDA

View Full Version : thurso high school uniform

funkiedunkie
17-Jun-06, 09:17
my daughter is going in to 1st year after summer & we have been told that they have to wear a uniform & that over 50% of students are already wearing it, does anyone know if this is true?
i don't want my daughter to get into trouble for not wearing a uniform but i don't want her to get bullied because she is wearing it?
can anyone who has kids that go to thurso high tell me if there kids wear the uniform?
thanks

connieb19
17-Jun-06, 09:31
I remember a pal of mine kitting out her 3 kids for school uniform. A letter had been sent home to say the uniform was compulsary. She spent a fortune buying trousers, shoes, belts and the school polo shirts and jumpers. When the school went back after the holidays most of the kids were wearing the uniform, a few were just wearing the jumpers. Within about a fortnight, most of the kids were back wearing jeans and trainers. This was in primary school, if they couldn't make it work there, then I doubt very much they will make it work in High School, which is a pity, because at least with the uniform it will get them used to the idea of dress code for when they get a job.

To be honest, I dont think I've seen ANY High School kids in Wick or Thurso wearing the uniform. Does your daughter want to wear it? If she does maybe she should get her friends support and they could all wear it.

angela5
17-Jun-06, 09:53
my daughter is going in to 1st year after summer & we have been told that they have to wear a uniform & that over 50% of students are already wearing it, does anyone know if this is true?
i don't want my daughter to get into trouble for not wearing a uniform but i don't want her to get bullied because she is wearing it?
can anyone who has kids that go to thurso high tell me if there kids wear the uniform?
thanks

I honestly have not seen any school children from Wick or Thurso high wearing school uniform. It's such a pity, i would encourage your daughter to wear it. Maybe more children will follow her example.

mccaugm
17-Jun-06, 10:09
:D As far as I know school uniform is compulsary after the summer in Thurso High School. I for one am delighted. An end to sagging jeans and tiny t'shirts.
The uniform is black and white and can be ordered via the school or the school uniform outlet in Inverness. As a parent I am still awaiting the order form to order certain items.

They can wear white polo shirts, black jumpers, hoodies, black trousers/skirts, ties, shirts, blazers.

My son used to go to Invergordon Academy where uniform was made compulsary and was a resounding success. So much so that the surrounding schools in Ross-Shire have followed suit.

dragonfly
17-Jun-06, 10:15
Hi there, its not a uniform persay, but more a dress code.

Basically black trousers/skirt, white shirt/polo shirt, no crop tops, branded wear, alcohol related wear (hooch, carling etc) or tops with inappropriate language.

They are having fleeces, sweatshirts, hoodies etc with school logo which can be bought in Buttresses (not sure if Mcallans too) and also in the National Schoolwear shop in Academy street in Inverness. Think they also have the option of buying more traditional uniform with blazer etc but its not compulsary.

not too sure about shoes, doesn't say anything in the letter so assume trainers are ok

mccaugm
17-Jun-06, 10:22
New to area - where is Buttresses?

I have started buying stuff for after the summer as buying during the holidays everything is sold out before the end of July.

dragonfly
17-Jun-06, 10:26
in Thurso precinct - opposite Nobles flowershop, McAllans and the Cancer Research charity shop

connieb19
17-Jun-06, 10:52
How long will it last though, not all parents will be so willing in encouraging their children to wear the uniform. All it takes is the odd one or two not wearing it then he following week it's one or two dozen and before you know it it's back to the way it was, except for a lot of angry parents who forked out a fortune for nothing. I do hope I'm wrong.:~(

Rheghead
17-Jun-06, 11:04
I can't understand the arguement against a uniform based on cost to the parent. Surely in the absence of a uniform their kids will have to wear something else instead, possibly designer gear which will cost more. As for trainers, what a rip off.

connieb19
17-Jun-06, 11:08
I can't understand the arguement against a uniform based on cost to the parent. Surely in the absence of a uniform their kids will have to wear something else instead, possibly designer gear which will cost more. As for trainers, what a rip off.It is an expense if it's only for a couple of weeks though. I think pupils who don't wear it should be sent home and not allowed back in school until they do wear it.:~(

young_fishin_neep
17-Jun-06, 12:44
hello all, i am a pupil of thurso and no notbody is wearing the uniform as yet, everybody is sticking to the dress code untill we go back after the summer holidays. then yes most (if not everybody) will be wearing any of the uniforms they choose, i and many of my mates have chose the blazer and shirt and tie, but thats because we think that if all the school wears hoodies then we aint gonna look very smart.

hope this helps

kaz xx

young_fishin_neep
17-Jun-06, 12:48
not too sure about shoes, doesn't say anything in the letter so assume trainers are ok

yes, the only thing we are aloud to wear what we like is our shoes! :)

kaz xx

pops
17-Jun-06, 15:43
i am glad that there is now a uniform i left high scholl about teo years ago and wish this had been brought in earlier i would have liked to have a uniform as did many people in my year at school.

mccaugm
17-Jun-06, 16:42
I think the wearing of school uniform makes the transition from leaving school to going in to the "real world" easier. Bar further education you almost always have to wear some kind of uniform for jobs. Nurses, doctors, office workers etc. In most cases there is at least a smart casual dress code.

I have found when working with school leavers they have no idea what the term "Smart Casual" means. They turn up in crop tops, low rise jeans etc. Great for a night out not a working environment. Invariably the schools they went to did not have a uniform/official dress code.

Good on you :grin: kaz :grin:

EDDIE
17-Jun-06, 17:05
hello all, i am a pupil of thurso and no notbody is wearing the uniform as yet, everybody is sticking to the dress code untill we go back after the summer holidays. then yes most (if not everybody) will be wearing any of the uniforms they choose, i and many of my mates have chose the blazer and shirt and tie, but thats because we think that if all the school wears hoodies then we aint gonna look very smart.

hope this helps

kaz xx
Im very surprised that u have a choice in uniforms u wear it kind of defeats the object of wearing a uniform.
I personally think wearing uniforms is a good idea and are smarter looking and will be cheaper in the long run for parents and it will stop some kids getting teased for not wearing designer close

young_fishin_neep
17-Jun-06, 17:30
I think the wearing of school uniform makes the transition from leaving school to going in to the "real world" easier. Bar further education you almost always have to wear some kind of uniform for jobs. Nurses, doctors, office workers etc. In most cases there is at least a smart casual dress code.

I have found when working with school leavers they have no idea what the term "Smart Casual" means. They turn up in crop tops, low rise jeans etc. Great for a night out not a working environment. Invariably the schools they went to did not have a uniform/official dress code.

Good on you :grin: kaz :grin:
i already have half of the uniform as i work aswell, and for that i have to wear black trousers and a shirt, i quite li8ke the idea of a uniform but i think thats giving the pupils a choice og hoodies isnt very ideal as it can make the school look to casual an also it will be a mix match of differnt styles which isnt very organized.

kaz xx

obiron
17-Jun-06, 17:45
I can't understand the arguement against a uniform based on cost to the parent. Surely in the absence of a uniform their kids will have to wear something else instead, possibly designer gear which will cost more. As for trainers, what a rip off.

the price is worse when they go from a 5 to a 6 the price jumps up a fair bit. the uniform i dont mind myself as i buy the kids it at the beginning of the school year and it usually does. but it is expensive espcially when they both need new shirts or jumpers.

Foxy
17-Jun-06, 19:50
I am delighted that the Thurso high school has decided to bring in a uniform, I wasn't sure my daughter who is now in third year would be happy about it. I thought she would want the sweatshirt option but she suprised me by wanting the blazer, shirt and tie which I think will look smart.

mccaugm
17-Jun-06, 20:07
I HATE HOODIES....[evil]

I agree they should not have been added to the list for the uniform. It always looks suspicious when someone wears a hoodie whether they are or not. The idea of the shirt and blazer is very appealing but I doubt my son would agree.....he loves hoodies and jeans that skim his knees. ARRRGGHHHH[disgust]

cuddlepop
17-Jun-06, 21:46
Ihope your Rector really sticks to her guns over the wearing of uniform.Ours srarted out with a view that if you didn.t you'd be sent home by Christmas the dress code was on the wane and now by the end of the term,Who Cares!:roll: :roll:

zebedy
17-Jun-06, 21:52
Yeah we do have uniforms...

I think the rector is out of line.. I think with there own clothes it gives them the freedom of expression to stand out from the rest.!!..

For me.. into 5th year now.. leaving after its done... To see i have to buy a uniform.. and i dont have anyone to pass it on!..

I think is quite out of line!

RoughRider202
18-Jun-06, 11:00
I moved away from thurso when i was 12 and never heard of school unifroms.

Then when i went to school in england you had to wear one. it was white shirt, black tie, black shoes, black trousers and a black v neck jumper. Even in P.E. you had to wear black shorts and white t-shirt.

At first i hated it but everyone was wearing it so you get used to it really quick. now the rules are even worse you have to wear special school jackets aswell.

Ive left school for a long time now but when i was there if you werent in uniform you got sent home to put it on.

They might do the same thing in thurso with the sending home thing and stuff.

I supose it does stop bulling to a degree but you can still get designer clothes and shoes in them colours needed so you wont stop the brand names ;)

Regards Andy

pultneytooner
22-Jun-06, 20:26
i am all for school uniforms...

infact my wife often dresses up in one ....

;) ;)

practically all schools have uniforms in the uk..

its a good idea because that way you dont get kids wearing all the latest "top brand label gear" taking the mickey out of kids whose parents cant afford to do the same..

with a school uniform everyone wears the same ..

Shadow
22-Jun-06, 21:24
We have a uniform, but I haven't seen anyone wearing it yet, but one of my friends has already bought some stuff. (Personally, I think she's insane though, because she wants to wear it to school already:roll:) You can get it from the shop on Academy Street, Inverness. I can't remeber the name of it though. I don't think they have much stuff yet either....

mccaugm
23-Jun-06, 09:10
Yeah we do have uniforms...

I think the rector is out of line.. I think with there own clothes it gives them the freedom of expression to stand out from the rest.!!..

For me.. into 5th year now.. leaving after its done... To see i have to buy a uniform.. and i dont have anyone to pass it on!..

I think is quite out of line!

Oh for goodness sake...I am having similar argument with my son (also just going into 5th year). Why not give it back to the school and I am sure they will find someone willing to wear it. Its better than upsetting people with wearing trousers "Henging of yer backside". Tops that barely cover bodies. etc....[evil]

The same system, as I have said previously has been tried in Ross-Shire and was hugely successful.....and I believe that the rector of Invergordon used to work in Thurso High???

blondscot
23-Jun-06, 10:35
My daughter is starting 6th year and will have to buy her a uniform but dont mind as i think that it will be cheaper than having to buy designer gear to be the same as other kids. It should have happened years ago!!

moncur
23-Jun-06, 11:17
I dont really have a view on school uniforms. i reckon if i was still at school id gurn for a day then accept it because everyone else was doing it.

But these are some good points that haven't been brought up:

1. Your sons will learn how to tie their own tie quicker (how many of you have had to tie one for your 19 year old son when hes goin for a job interview then realise that hes left the knot in it ever since you tied it?)

2. 10 years after getting your school photo taken you wont risk embarrasment of what is the current fashion (one day hoodies and saggy jeans will go out of fashion, just like shellsuits and global hypercolour T-shirts!)

3. It will be more practical for those already working in supermarkets, hotels, restaurants etc.

4. It will be more difficult for kids to skive off classes. how many times have you have gone done the street on a weekday and seen kids not knowing if they are college students or high school students?

5. It may even make it more difficult for them to try and buy cigarettes and alcohol without ID if shopkeepers remember seeing them the other day wearing a uniform.

Im not totally for or against a uniform but these are somme good points i felt needed to be pointed out.

gleeber
23-Jun-06, 13:04
I tried not to offer any opinion whem my 12 year old daughter said they were planning it. Instead i asked her what she thought and she said it's cool. If she's happy, I'm delighted.:)

squidge
23-Jun-06, 14:12
yes, the only thing we are aloud to wear what we like is our shoes! :)

kaz xx

Think yourself lucky wee neep!!!! when i was at school you had to wear shoes - not anything else except proper shoes. I remember a girl getting pulled up in the hall in front of the whole school as she was filing out from assembly and the teacher asking her in a loud voice , could she not afford proper shoes and then sending her home to get them. She was mortified - i think she was wearing baseball boots. Which incidentally my 16 year old just bought to wear and thinks they are the coolest things - at £35 for canvas shoes Im glad I wasnt paying for them!!!!!!!:roll:

moncur
23-Jun-06, 14:45
I noticed that zebedy was saying that he was in 5th year and isnt going to get much use out of having a uniform. Would it not make a bit more sense to introduce the uniform for 1st to 3rd year pupils and any people starting high school after this summer? Then eventually over a couple of years every pupil in every year will be wearing the uniform (if that makes sense). This would probably save a lot of money for parents of pupils who may only stay in school for one more year. Or even just letting senior students (5th and 6th year) dress casually which may be a small incentive for them to stay on after 4th year.

funkiedunkie
23-Jun-06, 18:45
think my daughter is going to wear the uniform, we went up to school meeting last night & we were shown all the different styles, so think she is going for the white t shirt & black fleece. the problem is now my boy going into 4th year, he has refused to wear any form of the uniform & there is talk that he'll get sent home, any one got any idea's off how to change a 15 year olds mind????HELP???PLEASE???

mccaugm
23-Jun-06, 18:52
Buy him the uniform, advise him to wear it and if he doesn't let the school deal with him. Once he sees all his mates are falling in line, he should be OK about it. Let him know that when he leaves school and gets a job he will be expected to wear a uniform of sorts in almost every job.

young_fishin_neep
23-Jun-06, 19:23
think my daughter is going to wear the uniform, we went up to school meeting last night & we were shown all the different styles, so think she is going for the white t shirt & black fleece. the problem is now my boy going into 4th year, he has refused to wear any form of the uniform & there is talk that he'll get sent home, any one got any idea's off how to change a 15 year olds mind????HELP???PLEASE???
who is your son? i have a feeling i know him lol, if it is who i think it is his lad mates are doubtfull to wear it either, me an my girl mates in 4th yr r quite happy to were it.

kaz xx

Rheghead
15-Aug-06, 19:28
Did any rebels turn up for school today?:lol:

engiebenjy
15-Aug-06, 20:19
I thought it was great seeing them all going to the High School today. Very smart they all were! (and what a change from seeing more flesh than you do in Skinandis on a Saturday night lol).

cuddlepop
15-Aug-06, 20:30
Have they set up sanctions if you dont wear uniform?

brandy
15-Aug-06, 20:40
a bit off subject but i went out a while ago to pick up tea.. cant stand cooking at the moment!
but i got the shock of my life.. there was a group of girls no more than 15 years old.. and wearing tops that looked like bras..
seriously .. that was the extent of the tops.. walking bold as brass with jeans barley on hips.. and everything they could show on show!
i felt like grabbing a sheet and covering them up!
surley their parents didnt let them out like that.. there were about 5 girls and 2 boys..
im all for the idea of uniforms.. myself..
mayhap it will put a bit of modesty into them?
im not a prude by any means.. but seriously children should be covered up!

mccaugm
15-Aug-06, 22:10
a bit off subject but i went out a while ago to pick up tea.. cant stand cooking at the moment!
but i got the shock of my life.. there was a group of girls no more than 15 years old.. and wearing tops that looked like bras..
seriously .. that was the extent of the tops.. walking bold as brass with jeans barley on hips.. and everything they could show on show!
surley their parents didnt let them out like that.. there were about 5 girls and 2 boys..

My eldest son is 15 and insists his jeans are so low its indecent. He went to the High School in his uniform and tried to do the low waist thing in his school trousers. It did not work. He was unamused to say the least.
I loved seeing my boys in their uniform....so smart...my middle child (a new first year) came home asking for a blazer....life is sweet!

Lolabelle
15-Aug-06, 22:43
i am all for school uniforms...

infact my wife often dresses up in one ....

practically all schools have uniforms in the uk..

its a good idea because that way you dont get kids wearing all the latest "top brand label gear" taking the mickey out of kids whose parents cant afford to do the same..

with a school uniform everyone wears the same ..
Me too, the great equaliser. There is less competition (there will always be some) and they look really smart and tidy. I was going to ask about Wick HS, for the story as all the photos had kids in jeans. My friend and I thought that maybe the uniform may have been blue pants and they were stretching the boundary by wearing jeans. I was in trouble many a time for not wearing the uniform. I was a rebel. Still am I think. I even rebel against my self if I try to impose any restrictions on myself. LOL [lol]

Buttercup
15-Aug-06, 22:59
It's not really a case of "their parents letting them go out like that!" I remember not being allowed out of the house in a mini skirt and make-up back in the 60's, but I (and all my friends) soon learnt to go out "decently dressed" and change elsewhere. So, as with all recent generations, we have to accept that teenagers will rebel and in the end will go out dressed the way they want - with or without their parents knowledge/approval. Sorry for detracting a bit from the original thread.