PDA

View Full Version : Help anyone sat their trailer test??

cameroncara
07-Jun-10, 16:46
Please can anyone help, im due to sit my trailer test(for horse box) in wick and would like to hear from anyone who has done it, what is it like is hard what route do we do how long driving and how much reversing etc and importantly any tips???

Thanks
x

dbooth82
07-Jun-10, 17:37
what has this got to do with animals!!!!!!!!!! totally wrong section!!

bustergirl
07-Jun-10, 17:48
what has this got to do with animals!!!!!!!!!! totally wrong section!!
i agree put it on general as that nothing to do with animals and this section is for stuff to do with animals

munron
07-Jun-10, 19:47
I would have thought that cameroncara is going to be sitting a test which would enable her to pull her horsebox. I think my horses are pets so I would also put the request for assistance in this area as it is where most horse people look.

Cameroncara I cant be off any help though, far to old to need to sit a test :) (Although if anyone actually seen me towing my horsebox they would possibly suggest it might be an idea)

cameroncara
07-Jun-10, 20:16
i agree put it on general as that nothing to do with animals and this section is for stuff to do with animals
I have put it in here as its for my horse box and i know alot of the people with horses use this section, also the trailer test is for livestock. Horses and livestock equal animals and some of mine are pets but very sorry to have placed it in wrong place if you think i have.

puffin croft
07-Jun-10, 21:37
i think its in totally the right place! don't worry about it cameroncara! good luck anyway!

unicorn
07-Jun-10, 21:51
Considering your avatar I would have thought it obvious that it was for a horse box, Good luck and practice makes perfect :D

Ash87
07-Jun-10, 22:12
cameroncara I think this is a totally relevant thread for this section :)

I'm thinking about sitting my trailor test (for pulling a horse box!) at some point over the summer too so would also love to hear any advice/feedback from others who have sat theirs

Good Luck with it! :)

cameroncara
07-Jun-10, 22:17
Thanks all for the support and Ash87 if i pass i will tell you all about it and i have to say the £300 fee makes me really need to pass.

northener
07-Jun-10, 22:59
Thanks all for the support and Ash87 if i pass i will tell you all about it and i have to say the £300 fee makes me really need to pass.

£300 'fee':eek:

I thought it was £115?

Regarding what's involved:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022521

Not being funny, Cameroncara, but you don't appear to know what's involved in the test? Have you had any tuition/preperation or gone over what will be required? I may just be reading your post wrong, if so then I apologise.

eg985
08-Jun-10, 10:12
Hi Cameroncara!

I sat my trailer test in wick last december.
Before the test starts you have to answer some safety questions on your vehicle. Then you go to do your reverse, controlled stop and unhitch/hitch. You have to pass these before you get out onto the road.
The road part is about 40mins including a country run and a town run (the town run includes a uphill start, downhill start and pull out from behind a parked car).
Its all quite straightforward, apparently most people fail the test on basic driving errors (nothing to do with the trailer) so you have to get out of the old habits, go back to feeding the wheel and remember mirrors, mirrors, mirrors! :)

This website is good, it shows what is involved;
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_training_test.htm

The two possible routes can be downloaded here (Wick LGV Vocational Routes)
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/AddressDetails_Bannered.asp?id=2421&Cat=-1&Type=17&ShowRoute=0

You can get the vehicle safety questions here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022521

Hope this helps -its great to get out and about on your own!

Good luck!
x

cameroncara
08-Jun-10, 11:32
£300 'fee':eek:

I thought it was £115?

Regarding what's involved:

Not being funny, Cameroncara, but you don't appear to know what's involved in the test? Have you had any tuition/preperation or gone over what will be required? I may just be reading your post wrong, if so then I apologise.

Thanks The reason why its £300 as this will include a days training, And no im not sure whats involved hence asking, i do drive the trailers on the farm ao i am used to driving them but now i am at the stage of needing to drive on my own so have to sit the test. Thanks for the information, i am away to read up as i have about 6wks til i do my test.

cameroncara
08-Jun-10, 11:36
Hi Cameroncara!

I sat my trailer test in wick last december.
Before the test starts you have to answer some safety questions on your vehicle. Then you go to do your reverse, controlled stop and unhitch/hitch. You have to pass these before you get out onto the road.
The road part is about 40mins including a country run and a town run (the town run includes a uphill start, downhill start and pull out from behind a parked car).
Its all quite straightforward, apparently most people fail the test on basic driving errors (nothing to do with the trailer) so you have to get out of the old habits, go back to feeding the wheel and remember mirrors, mirrors, mirrors! :)

This website is good, it shows what is involved;
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_training_test.htm

The two possible routes can be downloaded here (Wick LGV Vocational Routes)
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/AddressDetails_Bannered.asp?id=2421&Cat=-1&Type=17&ShowRoute=0

You can get the vehicle safety questions here

Hope this helps -its great to get out and about on your own!

Good luck!
x

Thanks ever so much for the info i have printed it all off was it Murray that you did your test with???

bustergirl
08-Jun-10, 13:28
sorry for saying it wasnt ment for this section i didnt know it was for a horse lol my bad
good luck on sitting the test:D

northener
08-Jun-10, 13:40
Thanks The reason why its £300 as this will include a days training, And no im not sure whats involved hence asking, i do drive the trailers on the farm ao i am used to driving them but now i am at the stage of needing to drive on my own so have to sit the test. Thanks for the information, i am away to read up as i have about 6wks til i do my test.

OK, I understand where the costs came from now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the test 'routes', they can and do change at the Driving Examiners discretion. As ong as you're comfortablw with your trailer it shouldn't make any difference where you go (plus you won't get rattled if the DE says "Go left" when, according to the published route, you should have gone right;))

Make sure you brush up on the 'show me/tell me questions, they're available online.
I'm not sure if there's an eyesight check on the trailer test, but ensure you can read a numberplate from 20.5 meters away with or without glasses...that's the legal criteria for a sight check.

Regarding 'feeding the wheel', it's not the big deal that it used to be, the criteria is that steering must be carried out in a safe and controlled manner. So occasionally crossing over of hands when manouvering or at very low speeds will not be commented upon.
When reversing 'rotational steering' (ie: with one hand doing all the steering) is OK. You may find this easier than trying to feed the wheel with two hands whilst looking backwards over your shoulder.....

Anyway, I'm sure your instructor will ensure you're up to scratch and good luck with the test.:Razz

eg985
08-Jun-10, 14:18
Thanks ever so much for the info i have printed it all off was it Murray that you did your test with???

No i did my test with local instructor Adam Henry

cameroncara
08-Jun-10, 17:22
Thanks all again, and i really appreciate all the info my poor little printer has not stopped today. lets just hope i pass now.

stixie
09-Jun-10, 12:51
Best of luck Cameroncara.

I sat my test after two lessons with Nicola Mowat. In my own truck and towing my own box. If you haven't booked a full day session then maybe you'd be aswell booking a couple of 2 hour lessons with her!

Mind you are you down in Lairg way? If so i understand the full day session as it'd be more cost effective!

Good luck with your test, and happy motoring afterwards!!