PDA

View Full Version : Would you object

ducati
06-Jun-10, 20:51
if, a neighbour was applying for a shotgun or rifle licence and you were given the opportunity?

This is one of several measures being discussed to ammend current gun legislation.

Yes or no poll.

Obviously, gun enthusiasts will vote no. If you have any aggressive, intimidating or insulting comments keep 'em to yourself. :eek:

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 21:00
silly question that has no meaning sorry

Boozeburglar
06-Jun-10, 21:01
if, a neighbour was applying for a shotgun or rifle licence and you were given the opportunity?

This is one of several measures being discussed to ammend current gun legislation.

Yes or no poll.

Obviously, gun enthusiasts will vote no. If you have any aggressive, intimidating or insulting comments keep 'em to yourself. :eek:

I count myself as a gun enthusiast, but I would not feel very happy about some of my neighbours having guns.

I would not only object, I would be outraged were one or two of them to get a license.

peedie
06-Jun-10, 21:01
i can't really vote because this depends entirely on the situation. for example, at home i wouldn't object as we live on a farm and there are plenty of legitimate reasons for owning a gun. however down south i live city centre and would find someone applying for a gun license a bit strange however there is club shooting to be taken into consideration.

where i'm going with this slightly rambling post is that it would have to be done case by case and that a blanket yes or no poll doesn't really work

crayola
06-Jun-10, 21:03

Yes or no poll.

Yes I would object because I can't imagine any scenario in which any of my neighbours could defend keeping a shotgun in the house.

Excellent question and excellent poll btw. :D

Leanne
06-Jun-10, 21:03
I too cannot vote - it would very much depend on the neighbour :lol:

My current neighbours are lovely and I would have no objections. Neighbours in the past though are a whole other story...

bekisman
06-Jun-10, 21:21

Yes or no poll.

I echo Crayola's comment; 'excellent question/poll'.
Doesn't apply to my neighbours (very very old) but I would object, unless they had a good reason such as keeping hens and was held as a last resort after all precautions for the birds protection had been taken..

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 21:27

Yes or no poll.

Being discussed by who, apart from you?

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 21:34
Yes I would object because I can't imagine any scenario in which any of my neighbours could defend keeping a shotgun in the house.

Excellent question and excellent poll btw. :D

Your neighbour is the best in the land at Skeet and represents GB at the Olympics? I'm surprised Crayola, I credited you with more imagination, and more sense.

adi1
06-Jun-10, 21:35
aint it funny the people who shout and ball for other peoples freedom are quick to judge their neighbour's right to have a Firearms license.
What ever next should my neighbour have a driving license?

NickInTheNorth
06-Jun-10, 21:52
In the abstract as the question is posed it is really not possible to answer, so I will assume you mean if there is no real reason to object.

In which case no I would not.

northener
06-Jun-10, 21:52
Trial by neighbours?

Don't make me laugh.

I'd be more likely to say yes to Adi1's comment about driving licences.

changilass
06-Jun-10, 21:58
What a bliddy daft idea.

Who am I to decide if one of my neighbours is fit to have a gun?

If I don't object, and they go out and shoot someone, am I then to blame for not doing so.

Nah don't like this idea at all, the police should do the policing, its their job not mines.

Leanne
06-Jun-10, 21:59
What a bliddy daft idea.

If I don't object, and they go out and shoot someone, am I then to blame for not doing so.

Nah don't like this idea at all, the police should do the policing, its their job not mines.

She has a point :)

Gronnuck
06-Jun-10, 22:02
I'm confused. What would the basis for an objection be? The applicant's eyes are too close together, the applicant is a grumpy auld git or he/she has the intellect of a gnat!

I take the point, in the countryside the applicant may be a farmer and need the gun for culling vermin. However a 'townie' could have just as good a reason for having a gun, such as sport shooting. After Dunblane the UK target shooting teams has to go abroad to prepare for the Olympics!

Instead of objectors making subjective appraisals of an applicant’s suitability based on the most nebulous of assessments I would suggest, if push comes to shove, some form of psychometric assessment.

peedie
06-Jun-10, 22:04
What a bliddy daft idea.

also it could easily turn into well if you don't think i'm fit to have a gun then i don't think your fit to have an extension on your house, so heres my objection to the planners?

also currently people are required to get 2 referee's (i think!) who have know them for 2 or more years..? something like that, possibly more accurate than someone who may have just moved in and not know them at all.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/online_forms/downloads/frm125.pdf <<for those who are interested this is a form to be filled in by two referee's for any gun license applicant

ducati
06-Jun-10, 22:20
also it could easily turn into well if you don't think i'm fit to have a gun then i don't think your fit to have an extension on your house, so heres my objection to the planners?

also currently people are required to get 2 referee's (i think!) who have know them for 2 or more years..? something like that, possibly more accurate than someone who may have just moved in and not know them at all.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/online_forms/downloads/frm125.pdf <<for those who are interested this is a form to be filled in by two referee's for any gun license applicant

That's interesting. It seems a bit pointless though if they will issue a licence even if you have a criminal record :eek:

Sara Jevo
06-Jun-10, 22:23
Yes, I'd object.

Who needs a gun in their home?

Gronnuck
06-Jun-10, 22:28
That's interesting. It seems a bit pointless though if they will issue a licence even if you have a criminal record :eek:

A Firearms licence will not be issued to anyone who has been sentenced to more than 3 years imprisonment, (regardless of how long they actually serve, i.e remission). If someone has been sentenced to more than 3 months up to 3 years they will be prohibited from having a Firearms licence for 5 years. Firearms Act 1968.
Regardless of the conditions required for a licence anyone who really wanted to keep a gun will keep one, there are plenty of 'illegal' guns in circulation as it is.

crayola
06-Jun-10, 22:30
Your neighbour is the best in the land at Skeet and represents GB at the Olympics? I'm surprised Crayola, I credited you with more imagination, and more sense.You haven't met my neighbours. If any one of them gets a gun I'll kill him before he kills me! :lol:

Joking aside, I don't care how good he or she may be at skeeting I wouldn't want any of my neighbours to keep a shotgun in the house. And what's wrong with the local community making collective decisions on whether it should be armed?

Gronnuck
06-Jun-10, 22:34
Yes, I'd object.

IMHO you should have to give a more substantial reason for your objection.
A national class Target Shooter will in all probability have a very expensive gun which they would not want anyone meddling with if it has been painstakingly zeroed.
A farmer might equally have an expensive shotgun.

ducati
06-Jun-10, 22:35
Being discussed by who, apart from you?

Another measure is to publish a list of licence holders so you know who, if any, of your neighbours have one. (It won't tell you if they have a gun on the premises just if they hold a licence).

peedie
06-Jun-10, 22:39
Another measure is to publish a list of licence holders so you know who, if any, of your neighbours have one. (It won't tell you if they have a gun on the premises just if they hold a licence).

now i think that is a bad idea, that just puts legitimate license holders at risk because if anybody decides they would like a gun for illegal shenanigans then they know exactly where to go or at least start looking

Gronnuck
06-Jun-10, 22:41

:roll: Another daft idea; It could just as equally make them the targets of any criminals who want to get their hands of their guns

ducati
06-Jun-10, 22:44
now i think that is a bad idea, that just puts legitimate license holders at risk because if anybody decides they would like a gun for illegal shenanigans then they know exactly where to go or at least start looking

Yes I think that's a bad idea too for the same reason, can you imagine if it had to be part of house search? I wonder if peeps would happily move in next door to a gun owner they don't know? :eek:

northener
06-Jun-10, 22:44
Yes, I'd object.

So, taking out of the discussion the thousands of legitimate 'hobby' gun owners (who have not -or ever will - shoot anyone), how do you propose to administrate the issuing of guns for those involved in vermin control, shooting for profit on estates or stalking for management? Would these people have to report to the local nick to pick up a gun every time they wanted to thin out a few rabbits?

Who 'needs' a car capable of 100mph+? Why can a 17 year old pass their test with no restrictios upon what vehicle they drive afterwards? By a Scooby WRX for £3k, load it up with four dopey mates egging the driver on and let the carnage begin...
There'd be a good case for the banning of certain classes of vehicle (or the prospective owner) based upon the owners 'need' for that type of vehicle. Let's not forget how many people are killed on the road by people deliberately driving outside their own compentence levels...

13,000 killed or seriously injured in 2008 - many of which would have been avoided if the car drivers involved had been competent enough in the first place and not driving outside the parameters of recognised safe and competent driving.

Yet no furore from the great unwashed over car ownership? Would that be because the great unwashed won't back any legislation that might impede their own lives? The slaughter goes on.......

Better control and asessment of gun owners is not a problem IMO, another reactionary 'ban them/they're bad' would not be productive.

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 23:06

What an absolutely idiotic idea. And I'd have told you that yesterday if you'd had balls enough to let your thread run!

Nacho
06-Jun-10, 23:45
the thousands of legitimate 'hobby' gun owners (who have not -or ever will - shoot anyone),

ummm ... how do you know these gun owners will never shoot anyone ?

i agree with the rest of your post, but not that bit

northener
06-Jun-10, 23:45
Yes I think that's a bad idea too for the same reason, can you imagine if it had to be part of house search? I wonder if peeps would happily move in next door to a gun owner they don't know? :eek:

Depends on your background.

I come from a community where gun ownership was more the norm than the exception. No problems at all - even from those who didn't own a gun.

Isn't this just playing to the gallery on the fear ticket?

'Devil dogs'?:roll:

northener
07-Jun-10, 00:02
ummm ... how do you know these gun owners will never shoot anyone ?

i agree with the rest of your post, but not that bit

By using the same logic that tells me that the vast majority of those who goes out to buy a big sharp knife from Tescos will not stab anyone....

...but someone may. Should we ban the sale of knives completely?

Has a gun = nutter waiting to kill someone.

Owns more than one sharp kitchen knife = nutter waiting to kill someone.

Same crap - different hat.

northener
07-Jun-10, 00:10
Just a thought.....

We hear reports now and then of some 'sword wielding maniac' having to be decked by the police or being hauled up in court.

I have two swords (C17th rapier and a C17th tuck, plus a duelling dagger from the same period) hung upon my wall at home. I can use them reasonably proficiently.

Am I likely to go off on one purely based upon the facts that I have no 'real use' for them or that my 'fascination' can only lead to Bad Things?

crayola
07-Jun-10, 00:21
Has a gun = nutter waiting to kill someone.

Owns more than one sharp kitchen knife = nutter waiting to kill someone.

Same crap - different hat.
No.

Sharp kitchen knives are for cutting food in the kitchen. Guns are for shooting and killing.

As Leanne reminded us earlier today, some analogies are better than others and yours is poor.

crayola
07-Jun-10, 00:23
Just a thought.....

We hear reports now and then of some 'sword wielding maniac' having to be decked by the police or being hauled up in court.

I have two swords (C17th rapier and a C17th tuck, plus a duelling dagger from the same period) hung upon my wall at home. I can use them reasonably proficiently.

Am I likely to go off on one purely based upon the facts that I have no 'real use' for them or that my 'fascination' can only lead to Bad Things?May I suggest that the weakness of your previous analogy prompted this post?

Phill
07-Jun-10, 00:26
To cut this to the chase.
Can we ban reproduction unless you have been suitably accessed and psychometrically tested, and credit scored??

crayola
07-Jun-10, 00:32
To cut this to the chase.
Can we ban reproduction unless you have been suitably accessed and psychometrically tested, and credit scored??
Oh dear the bad analogies are getting worse by the hour.

See my two previous posts for the gist of the demolition of that silliness.

northener
07-Jun-10, 00:47
May I suggest that the weakness of your previous analogy prompted this post?

You've lost me here Crayola.

What weakness prompted what?

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 03:16
She has a point :)

What a bliddy daft idea.

In Canada for approx 10 years this does occur. When a person applies for a Gun Licence(Called different things in different Countries), neighbours are contacted confidentially. Seems to work/ who knows people better than their neighbours. And of course a Criminal records check is also done/ and all 'legal' gun owners are in a data base that is available to the Police if a call is received to that residence, or to that person.
Not perfect but what is?
Remember Sir Robert Peel said..The Police are the Public and the Public are the Police! One cannot abdicate the World's woes to the Polis!

Boozeburglar
07-Jun-10, 03:19
I remember seeing a few things about Canada and guns, basically you guys have as high or higher ownership than the US, but you have a fraction of their gun crime.

We should be looking at your system, even if our situation is different historically.

The US should be taking directions from the Canadians on this for sure.

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 03:43
I remember seeing a few things about Canada and guns, basically you guys have as high or higher ownership than the US, but you have a fraction of their gun crime.

We should be looking at your system, even if our situation is different historically.

The US should be taking directions from the Canadians on this for sure.

You are correct. I feel that Obama was heading our way a bit but the US has such a 'gun culture'. The right to bear arms and of course people like the late Charlton Heston being the spokesperson for the National Rifle Association.. NRA. And Obama has other problems.
And of course George W. Bush....he wants to 'smoke em'!
Our Gun Crime is miniscule compared with the United States.
FYI. Was in Casper, Wyoming some years ago at a meeting/ saw a man with a pickup truck....two rifles and a shotgun in the back window/ six shot revolver and approx 30 shells on a belt 'outside' his harris tweed jacket.....Offence to conceal it...not so to have it in view.
Went to a Country Bar....kinda like Lybster..joke....and the men took their 'gunbelts' off and hung them on hooks outside the door.
Took your own bottle of booze in/ waitress..scantilly clad...unlike Lybster....she sold the mix and a 'corking charge'.
Stayed at the Hilton/ nice spot/ and was chatting with the female Restaurant Manager/ freindly girl/ who produce a 2 shot derringer from her cowboy boot.....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rockchick
07-Jun-10, 05:40
An interesting question, especially in light of the recent tragic occurrences in Cumbria.

I have known many handgun and rifle owners that I would have no problem with owning a weapon in the house next door to me. People who have legitimate purpose, such as hunting or target practice, and who take the responsibility of their weapons seriously, are no more dangerous than folk who drive automobiles (another lethal weapon, if used incorrectly!).

Yet...my little sister's best friend in grade school, at the age of five, was playing at her house with another friend, when they got her dad's handgun and somehow got some ammo, and the inevitable happened and the poor girl is parapalegic for the rest of her life. Very nice family, salt of the earth, the last people you'd expect to be careless...and boom! Their world is destroyed, and for what? Target practice???

So, I answered yes to the poll. I'd like the option to disagree with my neighbours bearing arms...not saying I'd necessarily take up the option, depending on the neighbour, but it would be comforting to know that it's there.

Crackeday
07-Jun-10, 06:03
I suppose it depends on the situation. I am all for someone having a gun licence but maybe not kept at home. I think the best solution would be to have the licence but the weapons kept elsewhere, but then that leaves the question where?
All it takes is someone to have an argument, get blootered or stoned and then start waving the gun about like a maniac. Licence holders should have a reason to hold the licence, i.e sport, farming,job etc not just because they CAN hold a licence.

Sara Jevo
07-Jun-10, 06:50
So, taking out of the discussion the thousands of legitimate 'hobby' gun owners (who have not -or ever will - shoot anyone), how do you propose to administrate the issuing of guns for those involved in vermin control, shooting for profit on estates or stalking for management? Would these people have to report to the local nick to pick up a gun every time they wanted to thin out a few rabbits?

Who 'needs' a car capable of 100mph+? Why can a 17 year old pass their test with no restrictios upon what vehicle they drive afterwards? By a Scooby WRX for £3k, load it up with four dopey mates egging the driver on and let the carnage begin...
There'd be a good case for the banning of certain classes of vehicle (or the prospective owner) based upon the owners 'need' for that type of vehicle. Let's not forget how many people are killed on the road by people deliberately driving outside their own compentence levels...

13,000 killed or seriously injured in 2008 - many of which would have been avoided if the car drivers involved had been competent enough in the first place and not driving outside the parameters of recognised safe and competent driving.

Yet no furore from the great unwashed over car ownership? Would that be because the great unwashed won't back any legislation that might impede their own lives? The slaughter goes on.......

Better control and asessment of gun owners is not a problem IMO, another reactionary 'ban them/they're bad' would not be productive.

I just hate guns - their purpose is to kill.

I cannot think of any legitimate reason why anyone should hold one as a "hobby". What evidence do you have to substantiate your statement that gun hobbyists never have and never will use a gun to shoot someone?

ducati
07-Jun-10, 08:01

I cannot think of any legitimate reason why anyone should hold one as a "hobby". What evidence do you have to substantiate your statement that gun hobbyists never have and never will use a gun to shoot someone?

Quite the reverse in fact! There is plenty of evidence that they have and do. About every 5 years some perfectly ordinary nice gun owner gets out of the wrong side of bed, goes off on one and slaughters his family and/or some random strangers.

It is always a man, don't know why, there must be plenty of female gun owners out there?

I (and correct me) don't recall an incident where any one has gone on this kind of rampage, killing with a car, knife, sword, tall building etc.

I agree there are plenty of illegally held weapons and these are used in crimes on a daily basis, this is a different issue.

I deliberately made it a yes/no poll because there is no cop out, you have to think about it. If you answer yes, you are not necessarily saying you would always object. If you answer no you are saying you would not object under any circumstances. I don't believe that is true. If your next door neighbour was a complete idiot you would object, given the opportunity, even if you had a house full of legal guns yourself.

One thing that is obvious to me is that gun owners are not in tune with society's feelings on the subject.

I seriously doubt that these or similar measures will be implemented, but lets not wait for the next one before a considered review is carried out.

porshiepoo
07-Jun-10, 08:15
I would definitely object.
Although not a direct neighbour, a friends husband got angry and used one of his shotguns to terrify the life out of myself and my friend. I have to admit to believing at the time that he was more than capable of pulling the trigger on us.

The guys guns were completely legitimate, yet anyone who knew him would be of the opinion that he shouldn't have owned a Spork let alone 2 guns.

northener
07-Jun-10, 08:33

I cannot think of any legitimate reason why anyone should hold one as a "hobby".

That's your opinion and I don't respect it.

What evidence do you have to substantiate your statement that gun hobbyists never have and never will use a gun to shoot someone?

Don't twist my words.

Rictina
07-Jun-10, 09:45
I think it all depends on the circumstances, whether you live in a rural community or a City.

Personally it would freak me out if I knew any of my neighbours had a gun, but I do understand & respect that needs must in rural areas for farmers etc....

Very intresting thread / poll.

The Angel Of Death
07-Jun-10, 11:09
I think we need a 3rd option on the poll and that is Yes - If there was a legitimate reason to object

Otherwise we might see a situation where neighbour X doesnt like neighbour Y and objects just for spite of it

If there is a legitimate reason then yes i would object however if Neighbour X was of sound frame of mind and needed the gun for a specific reason then i wouldnt object

NickInTheNorth
07-Jun-10, 11:24
Don't forget that from all that has been reported in the media none of Derrick Bird's neighbours have a bad word to say about the man.

In all likelihood none of his neighbours would have objected to him having a licence for his guns!

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 11:36
I think we need a 3rd option on the poll and that is Yes - If there was a legitimate reason to object

Otherwise we might see a situation where neighbour X doesnt like neighbour Y and objects just for spite of it

If there is a legitimate reason then yes i would object however if Neighbour X was of sound frame of mind and needed the gun for a specific reason then i wouldnt object

Yes I think that would solve this situation. I personally rec'd a letter asking my opinion of my neighbour some years ago/ My neighbour was a good solid person and I had no objection. He was a target shooter. Also spouses are given the opportunity to say yea or nea.
Basically it is just another check in a line of investigation.
People also need a permit to convey it to and from a place.
In Canada there are the very few people who can have one for personal protection......Generally one cannot have anything for 'Personal Protection' as then that item becomes an Offensive Weapon. Including e.g. Mace or pepper spray...Of course you can have 'Bear Spray'!
The United States is different/ one can buy practically any kind of gun at a store or flea market/ they do now I think have a cursory check// some States, perhaps a 3/4 days waiting period. This is good for the honest people...but if one wants a gun, one can acquire a gun. Breakins or just getting a connection.
I see a post that someone was threatened. One can report such incident and have the person up in Court to see why he/she should continue to have the weapons..Police can enter anywhere and seize weapons and hold them for a Court Hearing. Again the system is not perfect...Would banning guns work/ only for the Honest people. And do guns kill/ Yes of course but it takes a person to pull the trigger.
In the US there is a 'Right to Bear Arms'. In Canada it is a priveledge.

Thumper
07-Jun-10, 11:45
I dont think it would matter what we do about who does and doesnt have a gun,anyone can snap! If it wasnt a gun it would be something else,I dont agree with guns,cant see the point in having one unless you are a trained marksman(and use it for the proper things) or whatever but I dont think tightening the rules will stop anything else happening,people break for different reasons and can be quite normal before whatever it was that made them "break" happened so they would probably pass any kind of rules that were laid down at the time,but then when they break they wouldnt pass anything would they? What happened was terrible,and does happen from time to time,but as I said if it hadnt been a gun it would have been something else,not that that makes it any better x

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 11:56
Yes, wasn't it knives in China/ several incidents recently....

ducati
07-Jun-10, 17:48
Yes, wasn't it knives in China/ several incidents recently....

Yes. but this is about the UK :D

sandyr1
07-Jun-10, 18:02
Yes. but this is about the UK :D

Am terribly sorry, but someone did speak of comparisons. Thus my comments......generally....which included other places.