PDA

View Full Version : Doors and windows company?

carasmam
06-Jun-10, 18:12
I'm planning new upvc doors and windows. Swaying towards Norscot at the moment, but just wondered what companies any of you would recommend (or avoid) Has anyone had the company from Halkirk, think they are called Geddes?

mrlennie
06-Jun-10, 18:34
Hello - this is a totally unbiased view - So far I have seen Sinclair windows getting consistently good reviews, I was recently impressed by the installation of some windows and asked who work was it and it was also Sinclair.

Hear mixed reviews about the other companys...

Scunner
06-Jun-10, 18:46
Avoid the Halkirk company if at all possible

Liz
06-Jun-10, 18:50
We got windows and doors installed by Sinclairs and are really delighted.

The guys who fitted them were so nice and very tidy. Customer service has been excellent.:D

carasmam
06-Jun-10, 19:31
Thanks folks :D
Think I'll price Sinclairs and Norscot then decide from there. Norscot did our back door and I was happy with it. But it's Norscot windows already in the house and just months after the guarantee ran out the rubber seals decided to shrink, good timing eh :roll: I'm actually wondering if it is possible to just change the rubbers as there is nothing wrong with the frames themselves.
I'd never heard anything good or bad about the Halkirk company until Scunners comment. Of all the people I've asked around no-one has had windows from them. The bigger companies such as Cairngorm and Weatherseal dont seem to get a good name either.

cherokee
07-Jun-10, 12:02
Definetley avoid Cairngorm Windows !!!

Their windows leak like sieves (all 5 they installed for us did) and then they tell you it is nothing to do with them at all.[evil]

To sum-Up - Cairngorm Windows = Cowboys !!

P/S - Thoroughly recommend Sinclair Windows - decent price, nice guys, do a great job and are very tidy !

upolian
07-Jun-10, 12:20
i always recommend sinclair windows,i have to a few on here and they have been more than impressed :)

gio
07-Jun-10, 23:12
nothing wrong with geddes windows, good timber windows. have them in the house.im a joiner to trade and can honestly say its how the windows are fitted that matters. good windows can be poorly fitted and that will cause a problem. if fitted plumb and level there should be no probs. ;)

Bobinovich
08-Jun-10, 00:46
Well despite Cairngorm having had some bad reviews on the Org I am delighted with mine. I had a conservatory at the back, a full porch at the front and new windows & doors throughout the house. The whole shebang took 8 weeks from start to finish and the crews who did the work were excellent and cleaned up regularly - very important with both children and clients visitng the premises. I had them back a few times for door adjustments but I understand that's fairly normal with all of them when things settle.

Considering the whole project was £35k not one of the local businesses I contacted would even visit to discuss or quote for it at the time.

carasmam
08-Jun-10, 09:20
nothing wrong with geddes windows, good timber windows. have them in the house.im a joiner to trade and can honestly say its how the windows are fitted that matters. good windows can be poorly fitted and that will cause a problem. if fitted plumb and level there should be no probs. ;)

Do they only do timber windows then?

Must get my finger out and phone round to get some quotes :roll:

gio
08-Jun-10, 11:37
give them a call, they do alloy-timber windows. always worth a call to 3 or 4 companies to find out what products they offer etc.

windswept
09-Jun-10, 19:06
Well despite Cairngorm having had some bad reviews on the Org I am delighted with mine. I had a conservatory at the back, a full porch at the front and new windows & doors throughout the house. The whole shebang took 8 weeks from start to finish and the crews who did the work were excellent and cleaned up regularly - very important with both children and clients visitng the premises. I had them back a few times for door adjustments but I understand that's fairly normal with all of them when things settle.

Considering the whole project was £35k not one of the local businesses I contacted would even visit to discuss or quote for it at the time.

It'll be me giving the bad reviews!!! (justified though) I am glad that things have go okay with you cause they are not pleasant to deal with when there's a problem, trading standards will confirm that. But I think you may have offered the answer in that its fairly normal for adjustments to be required when things settle - It's just taking longer for mine to settle who would have thought it would take 5 years.

Good Luck with the windows and remember folkes you heard it here first "Fenestration is not a panacea".

upolian
09-Jun-10, 19:51
It'll be me giving the bad reviews!!! (justified though) I am glad that things have go okay with you cause they are not pleasant to deal with when there's a problem, trading standards will confirm that. But I think you may have offered the answer in that its fairly normal for adjustments to be required when things settle - It's just taking longer for mine to settle who would have thought it would take 5 years.

Good Luck with the windows and remember folkes you heard it here first "Fenestration is not a panacea".

5years............your having a bloomin laugh?

cherokee
09-Jun-10, 22:55
Hey Windswept! Yep, I'm behind you 100% on this one !!

I know you've had major problems with Cairngorm Windows and I applaud the fact that you're still hanging in there to get even some sort of justification !!

We gave up on what "Cairngorm Windows" did to us, cos, even after, contacting "Trading Standards", "Cairngorm" just blankly refused to discuss the situation with them, so we were left at a complete stalemate !!

Good luck with this Windswept and if you need any back up, then you know where I am........!!

windswept
10-Jun-10, 12:26
5years............your having a bloomin laugh?

I laugh about many things, but I can assure you I find fenestration no laughing matter.

Dealing with Cairngorm windows has fairly opened my eyes to the way the legal system in this county works or rather doesn't. Justice belongs to who ever has the deepest pockets.

God forbid I ever get into anything like this again I will not follow the correct route for legal redress I would go straight to the press and make a public song and dance about it. (assuming the local press would run a story that might impact on advertising revenue that is)

.....And my windows are still rubbish

Liz
10-Jun-10, 12:44
So sorry to hear about the problems you have windswept (and Cherokee):confused

Well just to confirm how good Sinclairs Windows are I phoned them as our doors were 'sticking' a wee bit and a few days after I called a really nice guy has just come and sorted them for me.
Can't recommend them highly enough.:D

Kim00020
11-Jun-10, 15:33
try andrew bremner joiner contractor,he was a lot cheaper than norscot and sinclairs.very clean and efficent job,lovely windows and he was great to deal with. 07723327028 :D

aidipi
12-Jun-10, 21:09
Hi, I can thoroughly recommend County Joiners in Wick. I had my whole house fitted with new windows and a back door and their workmanship was esxcellent. Theycame when they said they would and cleaned up after them every night.

Whoever hou decide upon remember not to accept their first quote! you can always get a better one. If you really want to go with a particular Company but you have cheaper quotations then barain with them. It usually works as you deal with the agent who wants a big commission.