PDA

View Full Version : Murder?

bekisman
06-Jun-10, 17:45
Keep seeing the word 'Murder' or 'murdered' on the threads, sometimes (My own opinion of course) is that this word is over-used, I can understand Fred & Pegasus using that word in the context of the two following sentences.. but rather baffled by the third as posted on the 'Foxes' thread by Porshiepoo.. Are we 'watering down' this most serious of crimes? :confused

"The Zionist Federation and the English Defence League have held a joint demonstration in support of the murder of humanitarian aid workers outside the Israeli Embassy." (fred)

"To be sure, the murder of civilians whether in cumbria" (Pegasus)

"The ONLY reason a person hunts on horseback is for the thrill, they do not do it to keep the Fox population under control (though they may use that guise) nor do they have any forethought or afterthought of the poor creature they have just Murdered." (Porshiepoo)

Hmmm. So if 'we' are attacked by a lion and killed are we 'murdered'? Was a beast 'murdered' to produce a saddle for porshiepoo's horse? just curious

gleeber
06-Jun-10, 17:49
There's going to be murder on this thread.:roll:

NickInTheNorth
06-Jun-10, 17:50
Good question bekisman, and the very simple and honest answer is that any use of the word murder outwith the context of the unlawful killing of one human being by another is quite simply wrong and wrong headed.

Murder is a very specific crime and defined in law and therefore anyone using it in any other context is just trying to incite greater revulsion of any act being discussed that the simple facts warrant.

fred
06-Jun-10, 18:16
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=2]"The Zionist Federation and the English Defence League have held a joint demonstration in support of the murder of humanitarian aid workers outside the Israeli Embassy." (fred)

The autopsy showed that four of those killed had been shot at close range in the back of the head.

I suppose with hindsight "executed" could have been more appropriate for those.

Boozeburglar
06-Jun-10, 18:35
Murder is more accurate.

bekisman
06-Jun-10, 19:14
The autopsy showed that four of those killed had been shot at close range in the back of the head.

I suppose with hindsight "executed" could have been more appropriate for those.

Right, back to thread; is the word 'murder' over used? Are we 'watering down' this most serious of crimes?

bekisman
06-Jun-10, 19:15
Good question bekisman, and the very simple and honest answer is that any use of the word murder outwith the context of the unlawful killing of one human being by another is quite simply wrong and wrong headed.

Murder is a very specific crime and defined in law and therefore anyone using it in any other context is just trying to incite greater revulsion of any act being discussed that the simple facts warrant.

Thank you Nick, a good definition..

fred
06-Jun-10, 19:17
Right, back to thread; is the word 'murder' over used? Are we 'watering down' this most serious of crimes?

No, murder is unlawful killing, there is no doubt I used the word in the correct context.

bekisman
06-Jun-10, 19:18
No, murder is unlawful killing, there is no doubt I used the word in the correct context.

Jolly good

Sara Jevo
06-Jun-10, 19:33
The definition of murder in Scots Law, apparently . . .

Murder is constituted by any wilful act causing the destruction of life, whether intended to kill, or displaying such wicked recklessness as to imply a disposition depraved enough to be regardless of the consequences.

Edinburgh University School of Law (http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/courses/showmessage.aspx?ref=166&id=52439)

crayola
06-Jun-10, 19:46
Murder is commonplace. The English language is murdered several times an hour on this forum. :confused

marwill
06-Jun-10, 20:13
The Act of Murder, now a days, does not have the same fear to some people as it had years ago, because there is no real deterrent when its committed, 'Life in prison' what does that mean now 15 years or less, out in 10 years with good behaviour. It is used as a euphemism in various context i.e.:
'murder on this thread'

someone is 'murdering' a song

I could 'murder' a cup of tea

none of which actually pertain to the 'act of murder'.

So yes, I think it has been 'watered down' over the years.

Mad1man
07-Jun-10, 22:54
Think it would never have worked if good old Inspector Taggart had exclaimed,
"There's been an Illegal Killing!" So if you don't take this out of context - I'm all for murder in the right places

scorrie
07-Jun-10, 23:24
Morrissey sang "Meat is Murder"

I've tried Tesco's Value frying steak and I have to say I agree with the man, it was bloody hard going!!

northener
07-Jun-10, 23:35
http://www.mygamer.com/news_images/3313SquallSnake7.jpg

Proof that even murder itself can be murdered by television.....