PDA

View Full Version : taxed for refuse collection

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 20:43
What exactly is going on in this country?
As if we don't pay enough in income tax, water rates, council tax, blah, blah, blah, now they want to charge us for emptying our bins, (thought that was already payed for).
Seems like they are penalising us for earning an honest living.
What's the point working if they are going to take the majority of our wages from us.

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 20:50
Can you even begin to imagine what the state of all the quiet roads , laybys, and any where else its easy to pull up in your car will look like after just a week of this being introduced? Black bags and rubbish strewn as far as the eye can see. People will try to do anything to pay less, so the obvious thing is to dump the rufuge whereever is easiest and not pay. It will end up costing the council twice as much to have road gangs going round gathering up all the mess, and the police will spend there nights having to cruise country roads looking for fly tippers instead of doing real police work and drinking coffee. Sounds like another well thought out plan. No change there then.

footie chick
16-Jun-06, 20:52
We should all become asillum seekers {no offence} they it would be all paid for us!! Seems to me that if you work hard and earn a honest living that tax man and the COUNCIL take their cut!!

If you've worked hard all your working life {give or take bringing up children hardest unpaid work around} you should be EXCEMPT from council tax for the hard work that has paid for your luxury {HA-HA} house {normal house to you and me}

What Exactly Is The Council Tax For If Its Not For Emptying Bins!

{Its certainly not put towards the upkeep of the roads judging by the potholes I've gone over this week!}

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 20:53
If your really lucky you might live near a street light. Tough if you live in the country. After that im stumped.

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 20:54
I suppose next they'll be asking us to supply the light bulbs.

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 20:55
Can you even begin to imagine what the state of all the quiet roads , laybys, and any where else its easy to pull up in your car will look like after just a week of this being introduced? Black bags and rubbish strewn as far as the eye can see. People will try to do anything to pay less, so the obvious thing is to dump the rufuge whereever is easiest and not pay. It will end up costing the council twice as much to have road gangs going round gathering up all the mess, and the police will spend there nights having to cruise country roads looking for fly tippers instead of doing real police work and drinking coffee. Sounds like another well thought out plan. No change there then.
This is what will happen unless they make it compulsary, then we are sunk.
I personaly am sick of the lot of them, the way they treat the working man/woman.
Nothing short of a disgrace.

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 20:57
We should all become asillum seekers {no offence} they it would be all paid for us!! Seems to me that if you work hard and earn a honest living that tax man and the COUNCIL take their cut!!

If you've worked hard all your working life {give or take bringing up children hardest unpaid work around} you should be EXCEMPT from council tax for the hard work that has paid for your luxury {HA-HA} house {normal house to you and me}

What Exactly Is The Council Tax For If Its Not For Emptying Bins!

{Its certainly not put towards the upkeep of the roads judging by the potholes I've gone over this week!}
AH, the council tax, precisely, I pay my own gas, electric, tv licence, water rates.
I pay council tax for what?

unicorn
16-Jun-06, 20:57
If it comes to that I will burn my rubbish!!

obiron
16-Jun-06, 20:58
who knows....not my favourite bill in a month.

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 20:58
Will that do you any good if they make it compulsary?

Tugmistress
16-Jun-06, 20:59
i thought that the refuse collection charge was part of the council tax ... now i am confused :confused

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:00
Yes and the working man/woman is the easiest target because all they have to do is arrest your wages at the bank. Remember the good old days of the poll tax. It'll soon get to the stage where people are to demorallised to work. Lets face it, for some of us it doesnt pay to do so now, its only so long before we all give up. Then whos going to pay to get the rubbish collected?

footie chick
16-Jun-06, 21:01

If your like me your neighbour will report you to SEPA if your lucky:eek:

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 21:03
Yes and the working man/woman is the easiest target because all they have to do is arrest your wages at the bank. Remember the good old days of the poll tax. It'll soon get to the stage where people are to demorallised to work. Lets face it, for some of us it doesnt pay to do so now, its only so long before we all give up. Then whos going to pay to get the rubbish collected?
They are talking £300 per year, that's £25 per month, my wage is gonna get smaller and smaller.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

unicorn
16-Jun-06, 21:04
They have not yet I am not sure they can when I use an actual burner. And they would report me for anything if they could.

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:07
So for council tax , water and the possible refuge there gonna want £140 per month? And im sure theres a lot of folk who are in a higher band than me so some of those charges will be even higher. Might as well go and sign on come Monday. Always wondered what daytime telly was like anyway.

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 21:09
So for council tax , water and the possible refuge there gonna want £140 per month? And im sure theres a lot of folk who are in a higher band than me so some of those charges will be even higher. Might as well go and sign on come Monday. Always wondered what daytime telly was like anyway.
Sad state of affairs pal but I agree 100%, only fools and horses eh?

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:10
Sad state when the working man/woman is the plonker in society.

footie chick
16-Jun-06, 21:10
I would love to watch daytime telly {youngest is 21months} and hubby works VERY hard to earn enough to keep head above water!! unreal that people who claim allislum can get more benefits than us!!!

Rheghead
16-Jun-06, 21:12
I recycle all my glass, cans, paper etc. I compost all waste food. And I burn other stuff like plastic food trays and 2 litre pop bottles(I think we can recycle these now) etc. As a result I only chuck out two supermarket bag's worth of rubbish a week for two and most of that is used cat litter (which I would like suggestions on how I could reuse/recycle). I did hear it is good for getting the red dye out of derv but I haven't tried it.

A rebate on the council tax might be more of an incentive though I could easily live with a tax. Lets face it, it is only the lazy and the frivolous who have to be annoyed about a tax on excessive rubbish.

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 21:12
I would love to watch daytime telly {youngest is 21months} and hubby works VERY hard to earn enough to keep head above water!! unreal that people who claim allislum can get more benefits than us!!!
Precisely my point, your hubby works very hard but not just for his family!

Billy Boy
16-Jun-06, 21:17
the working man is a easy target for the goverment, they just keep kicking us in the efffffing nut's lol[evil]

footie chick
16-Jun-06, 21:19
If the Tax Man didn't take his cut we would all be living a comfortable life{friday nite {too much wine}sorry for the spelling mistakes thanks to the cash jobs that the tax man knows nothing about!!!};)

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 21:25
AH, the council tax, precisely, I pay my own gas, electric, tv licence, water rates.
I pay council tax for what?
Also pay for my own dental treatment which costs me a fortune I can barely afford.

changilass
16-Jun-06, 21:25
If they are that worried about the amount of rubish we amas, would it not make more sense to go after the manufacturers, they are the ones that package things excessively, resulting in us having full bins in the first place.

footie chick
16-Jun-06, 21:28
Also pay for my own dental treatment which costs me a fortune I can barely afford.

HERE HERE!

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 21:31
If they are that worried about the amount of rubish we amas, would it not make more sense to go after the manufacturers, they are the ones that package things excessively, resulting in us having full bins in the first place. Nah, you see the thing is, everything was okay when it was just rubbish now that they are recycling it is us who are going to have to pick up the tab.

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:34
I can think of 2 groups who are in a predicament when it comes to recycling there rubbish. People with solid fuel heating. Hard to recycle ash. Parents. For the life of me i cant think of a single sensible use or way that id want to try to recycle a nappy. Answers to that 1 on a postcard to your local councillor.

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 21:36
I can think of 2 groups who are in a predicament when it comes to recycling there rubbish. People with solid fuel heating. Hard to recycle ash. Parents. For the life of me i cant think of a single sensible use or way that id want to try to recycle a nappy. Answers to that 1 on a postcard to your local councillor.
This needs to be nipped in the bud.

connieb19
16-Jun-06, 21:44
I can think of 2 groups who are in a predicament when it comes to recycling there rubbish. People with solid fuel heating. Hard to recycle ash. Parents. For the life of me i cant think of a single sensible use or way that id want to try to recycle a nappy. Answers to that 1 on a postcard to your local councillor.Why don't people use cloth nappies? Surely they are more enviromentally friendly..:confused

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 21:49
Why don't people use cloth nappies? Surely they are more enviromentally friendly..:confused
Comeon now connie, we are in the disposable age where you buy a new tv with a years guarantee and it breaks dow in 12 months 1 day, gaurantee void.:confused

JAWS
16-Jun-06, 22:02
It's just another tax grab wrapped up as for the benefit of the Environment. The argument is that it would encourage people to recycle things. There is even a suggestion that the amount of rubbish would be charged for by weight.

All it will do, as has been pointed out, will encourage Fly Tipping.
To prevent Fly Tipping the fine for Fly Tipping will be increased enormously.
Doing that will have no effect unless people are caught and fined.
In order to do that they will have to employ large numbers of Fly Tipping Patrols which, of course, will cost money.
The cost of the Patrols will exceed the amount of fines so the Rubbish Tax will be increased which will lead to even more Fly tipping.
Now go back to step one and start again doubling the amounts involved.

The suggestion will be that it is every Citizens duty to snoop on their neighbours to make sure they don't Fly Tip.
People will then become afraid to go out at night in case the Lurkers in the Shadows might just be Muggers and not the Fly Tip Sneaks.
And if you live near me make sure you have a good padlock on your bin because mine will remain very empty, at your cost that is.

This one was first floated a couple of years ago and the lunacy of it was pointed out then.
They obviously hope people will have forgotten about the problems and be blinded by the Environmental argument about reducing Rubbish.
Common sense says it will be just about the worse thing there is for the environment because everywhere will become a landfill site with all the attendant problems.

I do the same as Rheghead and my bin very rarely gets put out now, I'm certainly no "Tree Hugging Green" but if the facilities are there to recycle etc. then I am more than willing to use them.
Why is it that, whatever the problem, the first thing the clowns in Government can think of is to invent a new tax in order to force people to do something? Do they have so little trust in the people who elect them that they believe that the only way to get anything done is to beat people into submission?

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 23:02
I recycle all my glass, cans, paper etc. I compost all waste food. And I burn other stuff like plastic food trays and 2 litre pop bottles(I think we can recycle these now) etc. As a result I only chuck out two supermarket bag's worth of rubbish a week for two and most of that is used cat litter (which I would like suggestions on how I could reuse/recycle). I did hear it is good for getting the red dye out of derv but I haven't tried it.

A rebate on the council tax might be more of an incentive though I could easily live with a tax. Lets face it, it is only the lazy and the frivolous who have to be annoyed about a tax on excessive rubbish.
As far as I know it wouldn't be a tax on frivolous rubbish but all rubbish.

mccaugm
17-Jun-06, 10:19
I thought the charge was for the uplift of non binable items such as old sofas etc? Can anyone clarify this?

As far as I know you can recylce your plastic bottles at the local recyling centres.

I recycle paper and bottles as a matter of course as their is a small recyling point at the end of my street. Very handy.

I keep plastic bags and reuse them...i.e. Lidls.

teuchter
17-Jun-06, 15:58
Why don't people use cloth nappies? Surely they are more enviromentally friendly..:confused

The tree huggers and hippies were argueing this 1 not long ago. It was always thought that cloth nappies were better for the enviroment. Then some brains decided that by the time you add up all the bleach , cleaning agents etc that is dumped down the drains, the amount of water used , and all the extra electricity to run washing machines and tumble driers, cloth nappies are equally as bad for the enviroment, altho in a different way. I still havent heard if any of them have agreed yet which is worse. Made for a good debate on radio2 one day. So to answer your question , maybe in the long run enviromentally friendly people are maybe better to use disposable nappies. In which case youd better hope they dont start charging for uplifting rubish. All these poor babies gettin shouted at " thats another 20pence youve cost me" every time they empty.

Rheghead
17-Jun-06, 16:09
Well if parents used a detergent which is recommended by Friends of the Earth and they subscribed or lobbied local councillors in support of renewable energy projects then I think terry nappies would be more environmentally friendly. As a prospective father, I am determined to use them should the need arise. Of course disposables would come in handy for emergencies.:D

teuchter
17-Jun-06, 16:55
Well if parents used a detergent which is recommended by Friends of the Earth and they subscribed or lobbied local councillors in support of renewable energy projects then I think terry nappies would be more environmentally friendly. As a prospective father, I am determined to use them should the need arise. Of course disposables would come in handy for emergencies.:D

All the best with the expected arrival to start with.
Yup you could by Friends of the earth detergent. Sadly you will also need to buy bleech. Your not going to be able to help the fact that your washing machines going to be on several times a day tho, especially for the first wee while. This is going to use a lot of extra water. Its also going to use a lot more electric. And even more so if you use a tumble drier when the weather isint great and the little 1 has nothing dry to wear. Ive got 3 little teuchters, and they,ve all had dispossibles. Convienience ruled in that case im afraid. All i can say is im glad they werent charging for uplifting rubbish then. Youd be amazed how many nappies they can get thro in a week.

EDDIE
17-Jun-06, 17:10
I sometimes wonder if the gypsy traveller have got the right idea of living at least they dont have to worry about any taxes and they live were ever it suits them and the police cant do anything about it and also they dont have a problem with there rubbish they just leave it anywere they like and just move to a cleaner spot until the coucil have cleaned up then they move back

JAWS
17-Jun-06, 17:26
I thought the charge was for the uplift of non binable items such as old sofas etc? Can anyone clarify this?
I hope they haven't started charging. I used to live in an area where the Council did charge and old fridges, beds, mattresses, sofas were dumped anywhere where it was dark and not overlooked.

At the end of the day it must have cost the Council far more going round tidying up the mess than it would have to collect the stuff in the first place, quite apart from both the visual and the health points of view.

scotsboy
17-Jun-06, 17:35
Taxing the waste does not solve the problem, the problem is unnecessary packaging provided by the food suppliers – how much of the “waste” you dispose of is actual waste, and how much is discarded packaging? Bring back the milk bottle for a start.

changilass
17-Jun-06, 17:49
Taxing the waste does not solve the problem, the problem is unnecessary packaging provided by the food suppliers – how much of the “waste” you dispose of is actual waste, and how much is discarded packaging? Bring back the milk bottle for a start.

And the pop bottle, used te get money back when returning them

obiron
17-Jun-06, 17:53
And the pop bottle, used te get money back when returning them

i mind going round the grandparents to see if they had empties so i could get a few pennies.

Bobinovich
17-Jun-06, 20:04
In addition to recycling paper, cans and garden cuttings via the usual boxes we regularly recycle glass and cardboard to the centre in Thurso. We keep our bottles in those stackable boxes while cardboard is 'tetris'd into the largest box to make it easy to transport.

We take the kids along to the centre and let them sort the bottles & jars into different colours, then make a game of getting them to put the glass into the right holes.

I know they take wood, shoes and clothing but wasn't aware of facilities for plastic bottles - I'll take a closer look next time I'm in.

I agree that manufacturers should be made more accountable - especially for the use of that horrible messy stuff polystyrene. At least if they used shaped recycled cardboard (as some admittedly do) then it too could be recycled.

JAWS
18-Jun-06, 01:53
i mind going round the grandparents to see if they had empties so i could get a few pennies.
You really were honest. What happened to nicking them from the back of the shop and then taking them round to the front for the refund?
No that's what I call real recycling! :D