PDA

View Full Version : Prices of some things - how can it be justifieable???

Leanne
06-Jun-10, 14:29
I have just had Sharps Bedrooms round to price up some wardrobes for me. Yes the wardrobes will be long and fitted but how on earth can any company justify charging £4500 for wardrobes? And that is in the 50% sale with an additional 20% discount for booking online! The undiscounted price was over £10k!

Would anyone pay £4500 for a wardrobe?

Gronnuck
06-Jun-10, 14:35
You could probably build wardrobes yourself for a fraction of that price.
If you've got an idea of what you want why not do a couple of sketches and invite a couple of local joiners to give you quotes.

Thumper
06-Jun-10, 14:40
It would probably depend on how big they were,if it was an awkward space it fits into etc? I have built in wardrobes in my room,its quite larger-a double and then a single either side of it and I think if memory serves me well i paid about £1,300 for it from MFI about 6 years ago,but that didnt include fitting x

NickInTheNorth
06-Jun-10, 15:10
I have just had Sharps Bedrooms round to price up some wardrobes for me. Yes the wardrobes will be long and fitted but how on earth can any company justify charging £4500 for wardrobes? And that is in the 50% sale with an additional 20% discount for booking online! The undiscounted price was over £10k!

Totally ridiculous, however it can easily be justified.

<start justification>

There are mugs willing to pay it.

<end justification>

Phill
06-Jun-10, 15:39
Obviously this was from the 'incomer' range, same as any other range but financially adjusted! ;)

georgegwf
06-Jun-10, 15:40
Does it have an engine, central heating and come with an attached garage. How can a wardrobe cost £4,500 someone is taking the urine [disgust]

mrlennie
06-Jun-10, 16:38
I would not pay less than £4500 for a wardrobe!

Nah, not really.

scorrie
06-Jun-10, 17:15

Does that include extended warranty for "Complete Peace of Mind"? ;)

A bit modest looking for the money though:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/creme_wardrobe.jpg

Leanne
06-Jun-10, 17:21
Does that include extended warranty for "Complete Peace of Mind"? ;)

Should blumming hope so!

I've found much nicer designs online at a much better price. I've seen the doors on runners and with soft-close for £850. I'm sure the guts wont cost that much more...

Boozeburglar
06-Jun-10, 17:41
I would give the work to a local.

bagpuss
06-Jun-10, 20:50
Ikea do the innards for built in wardrobes etc- and much less than 10k

Dog-eared
06-Jun-10, 20:53
Get a local joiner in. :D I see your point though.

cazmanian_minx
07-Jun-10, 09:49
Sharps are owned by the same group who do Moben kitchens and Dolphin bathrooms - all three used to have a reputation for being horribly overpriced and not very good. (They may still, but it's been about 6 years since I was last shopping around for quotes and they might have got their act together in the interim...)

YummyMummy
07-Jun-10, 18:02
Ikea wardrobes are great.

Price for floor to ceiling carcus = 100cm wide = £100; 50cms wide = £50

sliding doors are around £300+ for a set (covering around 2-3 metres). Hinged doors are from £20.00 each. Handles are buttons.

All of their wardrobes have the additional extras like baskets (£8.00 each), sliding plastic cases (with or without lids) and shelves, trouser hangers, etc.

They are excellent quality and McKenzies Removals will collect an order for you and deliver to your door. Any competent joiner can build and fit them.

We bought Ikea wardrobes when we moved up 3 years ago and they are the best thing we ever bought. You can store loads and one built they are solid.

Dadie
07-Jun-10, 22:30
I love IKEA !
We had a Kitchen from them in the old house and it had nifty extra storage in the plinths.
I would love an lekvik wardrobe in Euans room but Edinburgh dont stock it so I cant get it delivered by mackenzies (and they tried their hardest..they really were most helpful but I couldnt get it) so if wanting things delivered make sure it is in stock in Edinburgh ....

northener
07-Jun-10, 22:43

I'm sure people who don't bat an eyelid at paying £30k for a kitchen would.......

It's all down to what people are prepared to to pay. You can go to Argos and get some MDF wardrobes for a few quid, or pay a wedge and get someone to come up with some bespoke individual woodwork.

Personally, I wouldn't consider paying that amount to a 'national' company. Too much dosh being soaked up in corporate overheads. £4.5k would get you some excellent custom work by fairly local craftsmen.

H
07-Jun-10, 23:30
Try speaking with Ashley Anne in Thurso/Wick. Made to measure units and very high quality.

kgs
08-Jun-10, 09:42
Birchwood Joinery do bespoke joinery, made to measure furniture and solid wood kitchens etc. They are listed in the business index.

wicker8
08-Jun-10, 13:59
shop local im sure you will get a better price

georgegwf
08-Jun-10, 15:20
Just had a brainstorm;) Pay me £2,250 and I will get a joiner to build it and keep the difference :p (this includes materials):D