PDA

View Full Version : Beards!

bekisman
06-Jun-10, 14:14
Just wondered how many orgers have a beard? not a nosey question, but why did you grow one?

I always used to grow mine, starting in October, then wear it during the winter and shave it off in late Spring - don't really know why. But on a couple of occasions I'd be going through Passport Control in various countries; Estonia, Italy, Poland and were questioned - sometimes holding up the queue.

I contacted Passport Office at Petty France and they suggested I forward another photograph of me with my full beard, along with my Passport. A few weeks later received it back with an unshaven me on Page 3 with 'see page 7' written beside it. And Page 7 had 'visas' crossed out and another photograph of me full-bearded..
Wondered if anyone else had this solution..?

Although seems nowadays with the new biometric recognition techniques it makes no difference as scanning equipment uses the precise distances between facial features, plus the patterns on the iris, to allow for automatic recognition.

Anyway no longer grow a beard; itches too much during the growing stage! AND I shaved me 'tashe off last year after decades - to Mrs Beks chagrin. ;)

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 14:34
I have a beard, a longish goatee type at the moment. Though I have in the past had a full set.
I grew mine because my first ex-wife hated them.:lol:

marwill
06-Jun-10, 14:45
Personally I haven't had a beard, but both of my brothers grew them. They were inclined to grow theirs during the winter months, said it gave their faces protection against the wind when riding their motorbikes. One used to like just his 'tashe during the summer months. The other kept his full beard until he got fed up keeping it trimmed, but still grew it back for winter. :lol:

seadog
06-Jun-10, 15:48
I have had one for the best part of 40 years. It used to be a full set when my hair was black but once the grey started growing in I just took it back to a stubble.
More white than black now lol.

I hate to shave every day so only 2 or 3 times a week for the neck and cheeks. No. 1 on the beard trimmer keeps it in check. No 4 for the eyebrows every few weeks and comb attachment off for the rest of the head once a week. No much going on up there for about 40 years.

Also finding that I have to shave the end of my nose now as hair has stsrted sprouting there.

A beard does keep the face warmer though.:lol:

golach
06-Jun-10, 16:22
I have had one for the best part of 40 years. It used to be a full set when my hair was black but once the grey started growing in I just took it back to a stubble.
More white than black now lol.

I never knew you were like this Seadog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js8YE7uZFUY

I remember when you had as much hair on top as I have now. lol

I too had a full set for at least 21 years when in the RNR, shaved it off for charity the day I rertired from the RNR.

I went clean shaven for 2 years, now have a goatee, going grey too Seadog, but I am not ashamed, I like being a Silver Surfer [lol]

dafi
06-Jun-10, 19:25
I keep mine on in the winter for the bike as well. At other times i tend to grow it and shave it off over and over again. That way you can get a year out of one pack of disposable razors.....bargain

GuitarHero
06-Jun-10, 20:44
My woman sometimes has a beard, until she puts that immac stuff or whatever it's called on her face :lol:

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 20:46
My woman sometimes has a beard, until she puts that immac stuff or whatever it's called on her face :lol:
lol. does it get worst with a fullmoon?

Kodiak
06-Jun-10, 20:51
I also have had a Full Set for 40 years and still have, even though it is now more white than the Red it used to be.

I grew my Beard due to the fact my house was broken into and one of the things that was stolen was my Brand New Electric Shaver which I had been given for Christmas. So I took it as a sign and I decided that I would never shave again and I haven't.

Something must have rubbed of as Both of my sons have a Full Set and they both look good with it as well.

ducati
06-Jun-10, 20:56
Never had one, being a biker, it just reinforces stereotypes. Plus I'm too lazy to keep it neat :lol:

georgegwf
06-Jun-10, 21:01
Used to have the full set, Then started getting about 6 different colours coming through :confused(WHY)[disgust] But decide to keep clean shaven now (Well three times a week or when the OH starts to complain) I have light brown hair but the stubble comes in red, ginger, brown, black, blond and of course the grey. Definatley keeps the face warm in the winter now I use a snood (Isn't it a joy growing old):D

Mrs Bucket
06-Jun-10, 21:07
If I were Mrs GuitarHero I know what Id do with her immac stuff and I dont think youd like it Mr.

GuitarHero
06-Jun-10, 22:40
Come on now, take a joke. "Mrs GuitarHero" thought it was funny when I told her, well I think she did at least...

northener
06-Jun-10, 23:10
Had a full set in my thirties, looked rather dashing I did.

Late forties sees me with a goatee and a 'guard off' haircut.

Much like DH...but I'm better looking.;):Razz

Many years ago, on Arctic patrols we used to have 'grow the longest beard/hair competitions. Being a teenager, my efforts at beard growing were pretty pathetic.
In fact, I could only ever grow any facial hair under my jawline, leading to the Skipper saying to me " It's Ok Northener - you can take your balaclava off now" - followed by howls of laughter/derision and general pish taking......

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 23:12
Come on now, take a joke. "Mrs GuitarHero" thought it was funny when I told her, well I think she did at least...
probably hard to hear with tights on her head?

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 23:14
Had a full set in my thirties, looked rather dashing I did.

Late forties sees me with a goatee and a 'guard off' haircut.

Much like DH...but I'm better looking.;):Razz

Many years ago, on Arctic patrols we used to have 'grow the longest beard/hair competitions. Being a teenager, my efforts at beard growing were pretty pathetic.
In fact, I could only ever grow any facial hair under my jawline, leading to the Skipper saying to me " It's Ok Northener - you can take your balaclava off now" - followed by howls of laughter/derision and general pish taking......

Pffft, in who's opinion? maybe time for another poll?

northener
06-Jun-10, 23:25
Pffft, in who's opinion? maybe time for another poll?

I wouldn't want to humiliate you.....

Anyway, have ye got any size 11 hi-leg ex army boots on stock? I'm after a pair.

peedie
06-Jun-10, 23:31
But decide to keep clean shaven now (Well three times a week or when the OH starts to complain)

3 times a week isn't bad, i run a beard dictatorship... OH clean shaven [lol]

donnick
07-Jun-10, 00:40
i have 3 hairs that grown out a mole on my chin does that count :lol::lol:

Leanne
07-Jun-10, 00:53
Ha ha just found this thread immediately below the thread "would you object". To beards? Yes, I'm afraid I would...

ShelleyCowie
07-Jun-10, 08:52
I dont have my own beard obviously. But my OH does. When i met him, he had a goatie which really suited him. And i used to absolutely detest facial hair at all! But this last year or so, he lets his beard grow out and i love it :D

He had to shave the beard last month for a wedding because he wanted to look smart with just his goatie again. And i thought he looked weird...really weird actually. So im making him grow it back out :Razz Until his cousins wedding which is in 2 weeks. Cant have a full beard or his granny will rip it off [lol]

Mad1man
07-Jun-10, 22:49
I've had my full set in various shapes - even naked chin for a couple of weeks occasionally since my late teens - over 30 yrs I'll admit to. Grew it because of an allergy to perfumes in soaps years ago and have just enjoyed it ever since . Mrs Mad1man does not like me without it she says - the mind boggles?

bekisman
07-Jun-10, 23:35
I often wonder why a lot of musician groups have a guy with a beard? is it compulsory or makes 'em look mystical or what, any ideas? :confused

George Brims
08-Jun-10, 00:17
This probably means she's plotting some kind of revenge. I would check the mirror before leaving the house for a while if I was you.