PDA

View Full Version : sunday fishing

patsy1
06-Jun-10, 12:07
does any one know if you can fish all lochs or some lochs on a sunday and is watten a loch that can be fished on a sunday

Metalattakk
06-Jun-10, 12:21
Pretty sure Watten can't be fished on a Sunday.

Calder and St John's can, although what permissions you'd need to get I don't know.

Hopefully someone else can clarify.

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 12:22
does any one know if you can fish all lochs or some lochs on a sunday and is watten a loch that can be fished on a sunday

I believe Sunday fishing isn't allowed on Loch Watten. The laws banning Sunday fishing only apply to fishing for migratory fish, salmon and sea-trout. For brown trout fishing, the rules are determined by which ever body (land-owner or angling club etc.) control the fishing rights. So its a matter of checking up for any loch that you may intend to fish.

My own angling club control the rights to 3 lochs and 2 stretches of river. Bizarrely we only allow Sunday fishing on one of the lochs.

Cattach
06-Jun-10, 13:38
I believe Sunday fishing isn't allowed on Loch Watten. The laws banning Sunday fishing only apply to fishing for migratory fish, salmon and sea-trout. For brown trout fishing, the rules are determined by which ever body (land-owner or angling club etc.) control the fishing rights. So its a matter of checking up for any loch that you may intend to fish.

My own angling club control the rights to 3 lochs and 2 stretches of river. Bizarrely we only allow Sunday fishing on one of the lochs.

Fish where you like for Brown trout. It does not matter what the angling association does or says (by the way I am a member of an angling association). They have very few rights, maybe access but then we also have a 'right to roam'.

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 14:30
Fish where you like for Brown trout. It does not matter what the angling association does or says (by the way I am a member of an angling association). They have very few rights, maybe access but then we also have a 'right to roam'.

Absolute nonsense. From the Freshwater and Salmon Fisheries Act 1976

Appendix 1
The legal position
Although salmon and freshwater fish are wild animals and belong to nobody until they are caught, the rights to fish are private titles. They fall into two categories:

salmon fishing rights: private, heritable titles which can be owned separately from the land adjacent to, or through which, the waters run; and
riparian rights to freshwater fishing: owned by the owner of the land through which the waters run.
Salmon fishing rights allow the owner to fish for salmon (which includes sea trout) and all other species of freshwater fish. Riparian rights allow the owner to fish for all freshwater fish, apart from salmon and sea trout. There is no free right to fish for freshwater fish in Scotland.
However, whereas fishing for salmon without the right or without written permission is a criminal offence, fishing for freshwater fish without right or permission is, generally, a civil offence. There are some exceptions to this general rule. Where fishing takes place in a 'stank', which is a pond or loch with no inlet or outlet to allow fish to enter or leave, fishing without permission is a criminal offence. In rivers that flow into the Solway Firth, except for the Annan, permission is required before one can fish for any salmon or freshwater fish. Where a Protection Order has been made under the provisions of the 1976 Act, fishing for trout or other freshwater fish without the right or written permission is a criminal offence.

Although the Riparian owner may have few rights, they still have rights. And while the chances are slim of a Riparian owner taking you to a Civil court for illegal fishing, surely it would be better to fish responsibly and in accordance with the rules and regulations rather than just blindly ignore them.

Leanne
06-Jun-10, 14:51
Although the Riparian owner may have few rights, they still have rights. And while the chances are slim of a Riparian owner taking you to a Civil court for illegal fishing, surely it would be better to fish responsibly and in accordance with the rules and regulations rather than just blindly ignore them.

Especially now they are cracking down on it... Have you seen the ads on the telly? £2500 fine for illegal fishing. Not sure about it's application in Scotland though - I think I saw it last week 'south of the border'.

DeHaviLand
06-Jun-10, 15:34
Especially now they are cracking down on it... Have you seen the ads on the telly? £2500 fine for illegal fishing. Not sure about it's application in Scotland though - I think I saw it last week 'south of the border'.

Thats for the rod licence, which still isnt permission to fish, and only applies in England, and certain Scottish rivers that cross, or form, part of the border.

Leanne
06-Jun-10, 16:45
Thats for the rod licence, which still isnt permission to fish, and only applies in England, and certain Scottish rivers that cross, or form, part of the border.

Blooming heck - this fishing malarky is more complicated than I thought!

Here's one for you - I have fields that have a river as part of the border. Would I be allowed to fish from my own field without permission?

NickInTheNorth
06-Jun-10, 17:40
yes, unless the fishing rights are let to some other person or organisation.

Bill Fernie
06-Jun-10, 18:36
I am not an angler but is it worth hopping on the ferry over to Orkney where fishing is free
See http://www.fish-uk.com/fishing_in_orkney.htm

Ricanna
06-Jun-10, 18:42
A riparian proprieter--i.e. one who has a boundary with a river--and the river is truly the boundary--with some rivers the estate has retained the banks, can always fish the river adjacent to their land--but not for salmon if the salmon fishings are in separate ownership (most are). Salmon fishings are capable of being owned separately from the river and the land on either side and very often are in separate ownership.

Ricanna
06-Jun-10, 18:48
Sorry should have read the whole thread Dehaviland had already said this!

lexie
06-Jun-10, 18:55
No you can not fish Watten on a Sunday.. Mon - Sat only..

Calder can be fished on a Sunday, and pay Calder land owners ass.

unicorn
06-Jun-10, 18:59
and pay Calder land owners ass.
I am sorry I could not resist, why would you pay the landowners ass [lol]

dafi
06-Jun-10, 19:21
Sounds like a bum deal!!

lexie
07-Jun-10, 09:12
..............................:roll: