PDA

View Full Version : Farr high school.

balto
06-Jun-10, 11:47
After a thought of thought we have decided to enrol our daughter into farr high school after the summer holidays, after a lot of issues and problems we feel a smaller school will do her the world of good, i know the distance is a lot but there are already a few that travel from thurso everyday, so after a while she will be fine, now i have searched for the high school online but can only find the highland council one but it doesnt give a lot of information, so does anyone know the web address so i can have a look.

Bill Fernie
06-Jun-10, 12:04
There is school web page but it seems quite old at this site
http://www.farrhigh.highland.sch.uk/

More up to date is the school Facebook page
http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Farr-High-SchoolBettyhill/116466985042222

The Highland Council web site tends to give basic info about the school and associated primary schools -
http://www.highland.gov.uk/learninghere/schools/schoollist/farrhighschool/

Maybe a call to the school will confirm if there is a school web site. Not all schools have one.

balto
06-Jun-10, 12:09
cheers bill, i have been on all those pages, think i will just phone tomorrow, and bombard them with a thousand questions.

torisdale
08-Mar-11, 17:20
Sorry for bumping but thought I would mention there is a new Farr High School (http://www.farrhighschool.co.uk) website in development, it is still to be updated & edited.

John Little
08-Mar-11, 22:15
Farr High school does not appear to have a History department.

Is the story of the tribe no longer worth the telling?

John Little
08-Mar-11, 22:21
I mean - it's a very inconvenient discipline is History. If you have the wherewithal to form some sort of informed view on how things came to be as they are then you are somewhat less easy to tell how it is.

Absence of History does tend to make for less chattering amongst those who would chatter.

Can it be true that they do not teach it any more?

I see that Thurso High School has a History department.

chordie
08-Mar-11, 22:34
...after a lot of issues and problems we feel a smaller school will do her the world of good, i know the distance is a lot but there are already a few that travel from thurso everyday...

Farr High School must be so chuffed that it is the escape pod of choice for problem children.

Carole
08-Mar-11, 22:40
After a thought of thought we have decided to enrol our daughter into farr high school after the summer holidays, after a lot of issues and problems we feel a smaller school will do her the world of good, i know the distance is a lot but there are already a few that travel from thurso everyday, so after a while she will be fine, now i have searched for the high school online but can only find the highland council one but it doesnt give a lot of information, so does anyone know the web address so i can have a look.

Just a suggestion but .... don't you think it might be worthwhile visiting the school, meeting with the Headteacher and finding out more about it before deciding to send your daughter there?

John Little
08-Mar-11, 22:41
I agree with Carole. And a read of this too;
http://www.hmie.gov.uk/documents/inspection/FarrHighSchool5110432.pdf

chordie
08-Mar-11, 22:47

Ouch. Not so good then.
"As a result, the quality of learning and teaching is not of a consistently high standard across the school."

gleeber
08-Mar-11, 22:51
You would do well to check the date of the original post.
Farr High school is a good school with an excellent head teacher.

John Little
08-Mar-11, 22:54
Yes - I saw that bit - and a few others too.

This bit on the homepage was interesting;
"In November and December 2001 we had a full Standards and Quality Inspection by HMIe. The report reflects well on the school."

The 2009 one is... illuminating.

Carole
08-Mar-11, 22:56

Thanks for the link John. I had no preconceived ideas prior to my post and was just stating what may be considered obvious but, having now read the HMIE doc, I must say that it is not one of the most glowing reports I have seen.

chordie
08-Mar-11, 22:58
Thanks for the link John. I had no preconceived ideas prior to my post and was just stating what may be considered obvious but, having now read the HMIE doc, I must say that it is not one of the most glowing reports I have seen.

Ah but it's "fashionable" to not go to your local school. It sends out the message that one's little darlings are in some way special and needed to be transported to a distant mysterious place for fear that they might otherwise integrate with local children. The fact that that other place in reality offers no better an education is neither here nor there.

John Little
08-Mar-11, 23:00
Well neither had I any preconceptions - though the lack of History did not impress me. And the changing of the subjects from year to year is... well different.

All in all it's a school but I would not think it had enough that I would take a child halfway along the North coast to reach it.

Dadie
08-Mar-11, 23:01
Read the report.
Write down any questions.
Visit the school.
See what provisions they have to help with the problems she has.
Go back to the school she is at and ask what they can do to resolve the problems she has.
Changing school isnt easy and if unfortunate the problems could follow her.
And where on earth could you send her next if things dont seem to be working out?

Carole
08-Mar-11, 23:10
Ah but it's "fashionable" to not go to your local school. It sends out the message that one's little darlings are in some way special and needed to be transported to a distant mysterious place for fear that they might otherwise integrate with local children. The fact that that other place in reality offers no better an education is neither here nor there.

So cynical chordie. Just sometimes, it is better to place your child in a smaller school because of the child's own nature. However, 'small' is not always best and parents need to look at the wider picture - including checking to see how well a school is rated by the inspectors and, just as important, how happy the pupils are within the school. The latter can only be judged by visiting the school and engaging with the current pupils.

gollach
08-Mar-11, 23:14
It's going to cost you a small fortune in bus fares to send your child up to Bettyhill every day.

chordie
08-Mar-11, 23:16
It's going to cost you a small fortune in bus fares to send your child up to Bettyhill every day.

Bus ?! Bus?! These people don't use buses, don't you know. The precious flowers will need to be driven personally.

Torvaig
09-Mar-11, 00:12
Farr High School must be so chuffed that it is the escape pod of choice for problem children.

I don't think Balto said the problem was with the child? I have no doubt there could be various good reasons for choosing a school.
And, as Gleeber said, check the date of the original post!
And Torisdale opened up the thread again with news of the school's website being updated....

torisdale
09-Mar-11, 00:30
I did have a long reply here to all the comments but sadly I lost internet connection when I hit reply,
I only wanted to share a link to what will be there new website that is still in the process of being developed but is an improvement to there old one (http://www.farrhigh.highland.sch.uk/) in my opinion, The main page has just been copied for the time being and is still to be edited.

The school douse offer history it just hasn't been added.
Sorry for bumping this thread in the first place, again.

Torvaig
09-Mar-11, 00:42
I did have a long reply here to all the comments but sadly I lost internet connection when I hit reply,
I only wanted to share a link to what will be there new website that is still in the process of being developed but is an improvement to there old one (http://www.farrhigh.highland.sch.uk/) in my opinion, The main page has just been copied for the time being and is still to be edited.

The school douse offer history it just hasn't been added.
Sorry for bumping this thread in the first place, again.

No need to apologise torisdale, thanks for the update!

davem
09-Mar-11, 01:48
I haven't read any reports, you only need to go to Farr to realise they genuinely like the children they have there and want the best for them. A situation not common to all the schools I have seen. Good school, fine people working there - nuff said.

theone
09-Mar-11, 02:12
I haven't read any reports

Good school, fine people working there - nuff said.

My view, in most aspects of life, is to trust the experts.

Gut feeling is fine, and whilst I don't doubt for one second the staff's commitment..

they genuinely like the children they have there and want the best for them

...sometimes it's easy to confuse one's intent with one's ability.

Aaldtimer
09-Mar-11, 04:17
Bus ?! Bus?! These people don't use buses, don't you know. The precious flowers will need to be driven personally.

Chordy, why don't you crawl back whatever stone covered you and stop Trolling?[disgust]

John Little
09-Mar-11, 07:40
Thankyou Torisdale - I am very glad they they do History.
Perhaps their IT person should have included it on the updated website though.

Andy
09-Mar-11, 14:39
I don't wish to dispell any pre conceptions anyone has about schools in Highland but my daughter recently took standard grade history at Farr High School and got an A most subjects are available if you are willing to be open minded about the teaching methods.

The Music Monster
09-Mar-11, 15:06
Just to be VERY controversial (as usual!)...

Beware OFSTED reports, the school they see is very often only a fraction. Having been on the inside of one or two of these and seeing the outcome in the form of a report, I can assure you that the good old HMIs miss a lot of the school!!!

I know nothing about Farr High School, by the way, I just think that parents should not base all of their expectations on a group of three or four people who spend less than a week there.

chordie
09-Mar-11, 15:15
Just to be VERY controversial (as usual!)...Beware OFSTED reports

Nothing controversial in that, just plain wrong. OFSTED will never have been near Farr as OFSTED is an inspector of schools in ENGLAND.

davem
09-Mar-11, 15:45
theone - your reply leaves me stumped - what could warrant using gut feeling more than the place that will educate your child? There are places of education that seem to regard pupils as an impediment to the smooth running of the school. As for confusing intent and ability; my view is that to engage children actually requires that the person educating them wants to be be there. I for one want my children to be liked,respected and encouraged; that is not always the case. There are many things that can be measured by "experts", yet the most important things can be overlooked.
So regardless of officialdom above all else I would be very content for my child to attend a school where they feel welcome. A school like Farr.

theone
09-Mar-11, 16:45
theone - your reply leaves me stumped - what could warrant using gut feeling more than the place that will educate your child?

I just believe in making the best use of resources available. If my child was ill I'd ask a doctor for an opinion, I wouldn't make a decision based on my gut feeling. As for schools, I wouldn't ignore an official report, certainly not one that highlights areas of concern.

There are places of education that seem to regard pupils as an impediment to the smooth running of the school.

I've no experience of a school regarding children as an impediment to its smooth running. And I've never heard complaints of any Caithness schools in this respect from others. Are you referring to Thurso?

As for confusing intent and ability; my view is that to engage children actually requires that the person educating them wants to be be there.

Yes I would agree. But I wanted to play football for Scotland, it didn't make me good enough for it.

There are many things that can be measured by "experts", yet the most important things can be overlooked.
So regardless of officialdom above all else I would be very content for my child to attend a school where they feel welcome.

What's most important is a matter of opinion. I think a child getting the best education is most important, you think the child feeling welcome is, opinions differ.

davem
09-Mar-11, 17:03
Is being obtuse second nature to you. I am saying you cannot be a good teacher unless you like children, ergo if a child is in a supportive welcoming environment they will receive the best education they can.

theone
09-Mar-11, 18:37
Is being obtuse second nature to you. I am saying you cannot be a good teacher unless you like children, ergo if a child is in a supportive welcoming environment they will receive the best education they can.

Where have I been obtuse?

All I am saying that liking children does not make you a good teacher.

A supportive welcoming environment is all well and good but they're not going to get the best education they can if the teachers can't teach or the school lacks the facilities.

The Music Monster
09-Mar-11, 20:03
The best teachers are those that inspire their pupils, of course you are more likely to inspire children if you like them and you provide a safe, welcoming environment!

I think you are both right in different ways.

balto
10-Mar-11, 17:55
you really do speak rubbish dont you, as we dont haver a car we have to rely on public transport, this is for the god of my daughter we did this, and you should see the difference in her now, not even a year in and she is like a different person already, her education has improved so much, and she has made some really good friends, something she has never had before, so before you shout your mouth of again, find out the facts.

Farr high have an agreement with the bus company, the kids from thurso pay 11.25 per month, thats from here to melvich, then they get the school bus from melvich to bettyhill, it would cost so much more a month if you were to put your child on the bus to and from thurso high, including lunchtime.
[QUOTE=chordie;828535]Ah but it's "fashionable" to not go to your local school. It sends out the message that one's little darlings are in some way special and needed to be transported to a distant mysterious place for fear that they might otherwise integrate with local children. The fact that that other place in reality offers no better an education is neither here nor there.[/QUOTE sending my daughter to Farr high is the best decision that we have ever made, the difference in her is amazing, her confidence has grown so much, in the short time she has been there, my other daughter will be enrolling in Farr a year in august when she is due to start high school, as will her 2 brothers when their time comes.

bustergirl
10-Mar-11, 19:48
hello i am balto's daughter i am not problemed thank you very much ... im a normal child ?
farr high school is a really good school with excellant teachers and head teacher
it was my choice to go to farr high school so please just stop !!!
and i will say it again im not problemed !!

rogermellie
10-Mar-11, 19:54
Delighted to hear your daughters not problemed Balto, but if you're planning on sending all your kids to Farr (without even trying Thurso High) then wouldn't you be better moving out there?

at least that way the kids won't have to spend a long part of their day on the bus and they'll be able to play with their classmates after school and at the weekends ...

torisdale
10-Mar-11, 20:02
Delighted to hear your daughters not problemed Balto, but if you're planning on sending all your kids to Farr (without even trying Thurso High) then wouldn't you be better moving out there?

at least that way the kids won't have to spend a long part of their day on the bus and they'll be able to play with their classmates after school and at the weekends ...

There are rather a lot of pupils coming to the school from thurso anyways?

rogermellie
10-Mar-11, 20:22
There are rather a lot of pupils coming to the school from thurso anyways?

i realise that, Farr is well known as the alternative option for kids who can't cope with Thurso High, but it doesn't quite answer the question.

why decide to send your kids to Farr when they might get on fine at Thurso High ?

Gronnuck
10-Mar-11, 20:41

I hope you can disregard some of the less than helpful contributions in this thread.
You know your daughter best. I have to say Thurso High School with nearly 950 pupils and a large spread of buildings can be intimidating for children who have perhaps come from a tight knit primary school with a smaller pupil population. Farr High School with less than 140 pupil might mean a more comfortable experience for her.
You have the right to exercise your choice. I wish you and your daughter good luck.

balto
10-Mar-11, 22:30
if i thought this was an option then i would consider moving up, but i work in thurso, and my oh even though he works at dounreay his mother is up in her years and he wouldnt move to far away from her, i personnally feel that the journey everyday is a small sacrafice to what she is gaining by going to Farr high. There really is lots of pluses to smaller classes, as its so easy to get lost in a large school.

balto
10-Mar-11, 22:33
hello i am balto's daughter i am not problemed thank you very much ... im a normal child ?
farr high school is a really good school with excellant teachers and head teacher
it was my choice to go to farr high school so please just stop !!!
and i will say it again im not problemed !!
well said bustergirl, the difference in you sice you went to farr is amazing, people who dont know the facts will speak such utter rubbish.

bustergirl
10-Mar-11, 22:56
i wouldn't even want to try thurso high !!
can everyone just stop all this pointless posts ??

Torvaig
11-Mar-11, 00:35
Bustergirl, as your Mum started this thread off, she is entitled to close it.

Glad you are enjoying Farr school; ignore the troll!

Oh no you can't, "it" has been suspended!