PDA

View Full Version : Are you spiritual?

crayola
05-Jun-10, 14:50
It's a simple question but what does being spiritual mean? It could mean that you believe in a real spirit world that's in some ways distinct from our own. If so do you think the spirits of the dead mingle amongst us?

Or do you think of spirituality as being a more ethereal quality and uniquely human quality which you may possess independent of any more physical spirit world?

Choose your own meaning.

Are you spiritual?

Rictina
05-Jun-10, 15:20
I wouldnt say that I'm particularly spiritual, although I do believe there is something "out there".

This will be an intresting poll.

gleeber
05-Jun-10, 16:52
I used to think spirituality was a universal condition. No more though. It's just an extension of mind and gives the most ridiculous of beliefs and conspiracies, some kind of credence.

pegasus
05-Jun-10, 16:58
Yes i like to think I am. beiong spiritual has absolutely nothing to do with any man made religion. Religion and spirituality are poles apart! :)

Pretty Peg x

gleeber
05-Jun-10, 17:06
Yes i like to think I am. beiong spiritual has absolutely nothing to do with any man made religion. Religion and spirituality are poles apart! :)

Pretty Peg x

I disagree. Religion is the human manifestation of spirituality as is believing in UFOs or believing theres a massive world wide conspiracy headed by some secret society who know an awful lot more about the universe and the workings of nature than science has so far discovered.
Its a human need to believe in something outside the norm.
I would agree that you fulfill that criteria Pegasus. ;)

pegasus
05-Jun-10, 17:50
I disagree. Religion is the human manifestation of spirituality as is believing in UFOs or believing theres a massive world wide conspiracy headed by some secret society who know an awful lot more about the universe and the workings of nature than science has so far discovered.
no. religion is only a herd mentality and all religions were deliver\ately created to create division and strife. this is why catholics hate protestants and christians hate muslims and so on. Reliogion has nothing to do with god. religion causes wars and endless arguments.

Spirituality is a personal experience between the individual and the Divine. it requires no mediator, whether founders priests or messiahs.

It also has nothing to do with ufos.

youre defining norm by what you think is norm gleeber. spirituality has nothing to do with youre norm.

religion disconnects people from there spirituality

gleeber
05-Jun-10, 17:55
Spirituality is a personal experience between the individual and the Divine. it requires no mediator, whether founders priests or messiahs.

Tell me more about this divine?

pegasus
05-Jun-10, 18:01
Tell me more about this divine?
i just said its personal. how can i teach you? then i would become a priest or a religious leader.

gleeber
05-Jun-10, 18:08
i just said its personal. how can i teach you? then i would become a priest or a religious leader.

It would be personal if you didnt offer an opinion about what other peoples spirituality consisted of. you seem to have offered an opinion about millions of other peoples spiritual condition.
That's not personal and Im not looking to be taught. Just trying to understand another persons belief.

pegasus
05-Jun-10, 18:13
It would be personal if you didnt offer an opinion about what other peoples spirituality consisted of. you seem to have offered an opinion about millions of other peoples spiritual condition.
That's not personal and Im not looking to be taught. Just trying to understand another persons belief.
but given what i had just said how could you then think that i could teach you about the Divine? youre comment was just mocking the concept of god in my opinion so i will turn youre comments back on you. given that millions of people around the world believe in the Divine how can you claim to disaggree with them as to whether god exists?

belief in god is a personal thing. interaction with god is via spiritual dimension or existence. man made religion jjust gets in the way of our developing our spiritual being

Vistravi
05-Jun-10, 20:21
With a two week old that has two spirits fighting over him as he has the gift that is passed down in my family yes i must say that i am spiritual! His grandad and his great grandmother are always around him fighting to have him to themselves without the other. It is tedious at times lol. Annoying when they make him very unsettled [evil] One good thing about is that my dad will at least leave him be to go to sleep when i tell him to!

onecalledk
05-Jun-10, 21:10

Religion and spirituality are two separate things. I have met a lot of religious people that are no way spiritual and vice versa. THink about it ALL religions claim to follow god and that their god is loving god, why on earth would they then claim their religion is better than another ??? surely a loving god LOVES EVERYONE.....

Huge leap to get from religion to UFOs?!!!

I dont think there are any little green men in the bible ...

K

fred
05-Jun-10, 22:04
I dont think there are any little green men in the bible ...

K

Read the book of Ezekiel again, you might change your mind.

crayola
06-Jun-10, 12:26
Your negative thoughts come closest to mine but what are your positive ones?

Could you be part of a pagan group and celebrate the Earth that we know and which supports our lives?

danc1ngwitch
06-Jun-10, 19:02
Inspiration, experience, practice, knowing me, still getting to know me
thats life, its MY life. Yes i am Spiritual.
It will mean something different to everyone, for no one
is the same.

fred
06-Jun-10, 19:29
no. religion is only a herd mentality and all religions were deliver\ately created to create division and strife. this is why catholics hate protestants and christians hate muslims and so on. Reliogion has nothing to do with god. religion causes wars and endless arguments.

Zen Buddhists haven't started any wars.

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 20:21
Zen Buddhists haven't started any wars.
dont they argue with oyher budhists about trivial stuff. like protestants argue amoungsth thenselves? shiites argue with sunnies? no harmony. no spirituality only religionous divisiomn

fred
06-Jun-10, 21:04
dont they argue with oyher budhists about trivial stuff. like protestants argue amoungsth thenselves? shiites argue with sunnies? no harmony. no spirituality only religionous divisiomn

No, they don't argue with anyone.

They don't believe people have souls either.

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 21:08
No, they don't argue with anyone.

They don't believe people have souls either.
i cant be a zen budhist then:)

fred
06-Jun-10, 21:21
i cant be a zen budhist then:)

No, somehow I don't think you could.

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 22:01
No, somehow I don't think you could.

Wonder why, but what about you fred do you believe poeple have souls?
Acording to the this article 90% do not.

http://www.articlesbase.com/mysticism-articles/90-of-people-do-not-have-souls-502912.html

fred
06-Jun-10, 22:12
Wonder why, but what about you fred do you believe poeple have souls?

No, I believe souls have people.

peedie
06-Jun-10, 22:15

i don't know if your joking or not, but it think thats a very nice thought :)

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 22:18

Can you explain whre you are coming from?

fred
06-Jun-10, 22:21
Can you explain whre you are coming from?

Hey, we're around for three score years and ten or so then we turn to dust.

How can it be us who have the soul?

crayola
06-Jun-10, 22:48
Inspiration, experience, practice, knowing me, still getting to know me
thats life, its MY life. Yes i am Spiritual.
It will mean something different to everyone, for no one
is the same.Your philosophy is one I identify strongly with danc1ngwitch. I believe there is no god but the Goddess and She is the Earth that serves us our daily bread and into which we must plough back our appreciation in order to preserve Her status.

northener
06-Jun-10, 23:53

I like that.

pegasus
06-Jun-10, 23:56
Hey, we're around for three score years and ten or so then we turn to dust.

How can it be us who have the soul?
you seem a man to think thinsg out so youre clearly thokught thro this one. are you saying that the soul is just another word ofr the body? what abpout the spirit then?

fred
07-Jun-10, 00:03
you seem a man to think thinsg out so youre clearly thokught thro this one. are you saying that the soul is just another word ofr the body? what abpout the spirit then?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

canuck
07-Jun-10, 00:05
I used to think spirituality was a universal condition. No more though. It's just an extension of mind and gives the most ridiculous of beliefs and conspiracies, some kind of credence.

Would you consider the possibility that spirituality is the event where the mind extensions of two/three (or more) people meet?

gleeber
07-Jun-10, 09:15
Would you consider the possibility that spirituality is the event where the mind extensions of two/three (or more) people meet?
Nice to see you again Canuck even though it happens with a challenging question. You devil you.:lol:
No. I wouldnt consider the boundary where minds meet as the realm of spirituality. That's still just an extension of individual minds. Any spirituality that does happen will be an individual effect isolated somewhere within the boundaries of a human skull and all the organic workings within that skull. Any coming together of 2 minds with a particular belief will have more to do with the mechanisms inherant to every individual mind which will include such high falutin psychoanalytical ideas as introjection or projection or even, God forbid, retroflection, all of which carry a high chance of self delusion within their workings. I will concede that more thoughtful people than myself have come up with the idea of a collective consciousness but I have yet to be convinced.
When I imagine something, or when I dream, where do those images appear? They don't appear on a screen in the room I'm in but on a screen somewhere in the confines of my mind which generates inside my skull.
I don't dismiss spirituality but its no more than a state of mind, not a seperate human function like some will suggest when they talk about souls.
Spirituality seems to be about understanding something which our minds are capable of generating. As our minds are capable of generating the most nonsensical of ideas, the need to understand and perhaps justify that idea will follow.
Thats my idea of spirituality. No need for souls or Gods or aleins or cliques. Its all there behind my nose. Knowhere else.
However, thats a very spiritual thought dont you think? ;)

pegasus
07-Jun-10, 10:09
Is there an eternal soul? Belief in an eternal soul is a misconseption of the human consciousnes?? Soul -Theries ......

http://www.purifymind.com/EternalSoul.htm

knittingkitten04
07-Jun-10, 13:47
I heard somewhere that religion is for people who don't want to go to hell but spirituality is for people who have been there....however, not sure I entirely agree with this!

crayola
12-Jun-10, 01:34
I'm intrigued by the results of this poll. Most voted a definite yes or no but rather fewer voted for the intermediate Yes I'm humanly spiritual but not supernaturally spiritual.

riggerboy
12-Jun-10, 17:36
dont know about ghosties but i`ll be full o spirits on monday night

Gizmo
12-Jun-10, 18:25
It's a simple question but what does being spiritual mean? It could mean that you believe in a real spirit world that's in some ways distinct from our own. If so do you think the spirits of the dead mingle amongst us?

Or do you think of spirituality as being a more ethereal quality and uniquely human quality which you may possess independent of any more physical spirit world?

Choose your own meaning.

Are you spiritual?

I don't believe in any sort of spirituality. You live, you die, you get eaten by worms or consumed by fire....the end!, there is NOTHING else.

crayola
13-Jun-10, 14:14
I don't believe in any sort of spirituality. You live, you die, you get eaten by worms or consumed by fire....the end!, there is NOTHING else.Ok so that's what you think about supernatural spirituality.

What do you think of spirituality as a more ethereal and uniquely human quality which you may possess independent of a supernatural world?

Gizmo
14-Jun-10, 19:11
Ok so that's what you think about supernatural spirituality.

What do you think of spirituality as a more ethereal and uniquely human quality which you may possess independent of a supernatural world?

Honestly?...a load of tree hugging hippy nonsense :p

onecalledk
14-Jun-10, 19:27

if we live and then die with nothing else why are we here then ? what is your purpose in life ?

K

John Little
14-Jun-10, 19:31
if we live and then die with nothing else why are we here then ? what is your purpose in life ?

K

Now that's an interesting question - I think Trix's Karma thread is heading down the same track....

ducati
14-Jun-10, 20:52

Quite right, and in answer to the why are we here question:

To await the arrival of our cousins from far across the galaxy, who as we speak have been travelling for millennia or more. When they arrive they will expand our minds and we will see the TRUTH.

And guess what? It isn't what we've been looking at on the Internet [lol]

onecalledk
15-Jun-10, 11:16
why is the "alien theory" continually brought up on threads like this ? the original question was "are you spiritual"?

am intruiged as to why people are responding to postings under this thread and bringing up galaxies and other life ?

K

ducati
15-Jun-10, 12:48
why is the "alien theory" continually brought up on threads like this ? the original question was "are you spiritual"?

am intruiged as to why people are responding to postings under this thread and bringing up galaxies and other life ?

K

You believe in what you want to believe in and I will put in a good word for you when they arrive. :)

onecalledk
15-Jun-10, 13:35
You believe in what you want to believe in and I will put in a good word for you when they arrive. :)

I appear to be misquoted once again, if you read my post you will see I was asking why others are posting about it, I did not say I had posted about it nor if I agreed ......

:)

Nvidi4
15-Jun-10, 14:40
IMO if people spent a little less time on questioning and wondering if theres a God or are you spiritual and if so what does it mean etc and took the time to look inside themselves theyd find some of the answers that they seek. As for good and bad IMO there is no such thing as bad/evil etc everything and everyone is exactly as they are meant to be........if a person sees someone do something that they perceive to be bad then that person has a problem ....Acceptance is the word that is best used to describe what I mean ..accept everything and everyone as that is exactly the way its meant to be......if you dont then you got a problem..oh and you cant loose what you never had.....its just not possible.....you can learn to see things through different eyes though! :cool: I think Im on the wrong thread........then again maybe not!:cool: Yes I am spiritual we all are .....we are all spirit and all connected like it or not......we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.....do I believe what Im saying..for the moment I do could all change again tomorrow... nothing stays the same forever...so if youd all get on by doing what you are meant to be doing just maybe we can change the world we live in to a better one by accepting and not blaming, critiscising or judging ..everything is as its meant to be like it or not! :D

Turquoise
15-Jun-10, 16:52
IMO if people spent a little less time on questioning and wondering if theres a God or are you spiritual and if so what does it mean etc and took the time to look inside themselves theyd find some of the answers that they seek. As for good and bad IMO there is no such thing as bad/evil etc everything and everyone is exactly as they are meant to be........if a person sees someone do something that they perceive to be bad then that person has a problem ....Acceptance is the word that is best used to describe what I mean ..accept everything and everyone as that is exactly the way its meant to be......if you dont then you got a problem..oh and you cant loose what you never had.....its just not possible.....you can learn to see things through different eyes though! :cool: I think Im on the wrong thread........then again maybe not!:cool: Yes I am spiritual we all are .....we are all spirit and all connected like it or not......we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.....do I believe what Im saying..for the moment I do could all change again tomorrow... nothing stays the same forever...so if youd all get on by doing what you are meant to be doing just maybe we can change the world we live in to a better one by accepting and not blaming, critiscising or judging ..everything is as its meant to be like it or not! :D

Hmm, not sure I agree Nvidi4 - I know the principle you are trying to get across, but what about murder, rape and terrible things like that? Are you trying to say that the person committing these crimes should not be perceived as evil?!

Nvidi4
15-Jun-10, 17:52
More or less that is what Im saying..I know its a hard concept to accept but if we looked at things in that respect all will become clearer ...the guy who murders or rapes has maybe incarnated to experience being in prison the victim maybe he has to experience what its like to be the victim... balancing things out in a sense. We may class these things as being evil and they are in a sense in our dense physical world but at the same time they are meant to be...if we could rise above it and see the bigger picture wed then understand a bit better. So the next time you get on your high horse :) and think thats not right thats bad thats wrong step back and think poor soul that he had to do that evil deed cant be easy, but maybe he had to murder someone to experience, and the victim had to experience, and theres the victims family maybe they had to experience what its like to loose someone in that way, then theres the people who support the victims family, they are there to help and support the list goes on and on ...he wouldnt have done it if he wasnt meant to, same as what anyone does, what your doing is what you are meant to be doing...there is no right and wrong! That is the way of the world as it stands ...most of us can thank our lucky stars that were not the bad guy...then again maybe we have already incarnated and been the bad guy and have learnt not to do that evil deed again ....and as "one" learns lots of us learn also until maybe one day we will be free from what we class as evil ...now theres a thought! :)

Turquoise
15-Jun-10, 17:57
More or less that is what Im saying..I know its a hard concept to accept but if we looked at things in that respect all will become clearer ...the guy who murders or rapes has maybe incarnated to experience being in prison the victim maybe he has to experience what its like to be the victim... balancing things out in a sense. We may class these things as being evil and they are in a sense in our dense physical world but at the same time they are meant to be...if we could rise above it and see the bigger picture wed then understand a bit better. So the next time you get on your high horse :) and think thats not right thats bad thats wrong step back and think poor soul that he had to do that evil deed cant be easy, but maybe he had to murder someone to experience, and the victim had to experience, and theres the victims family maybe they had to experience what its like to loose someone in that way, then theres the people who support the victims family, they are there to help and support the list goes on and on ...he wouldnt have done it if he wasnt meant to, same as what anyone does, what your doing is what you are meant to be doing...there is no right and wrong! That is the way of the world as it stands ...most of us can thank our lucky stars that were not the bad guy...then again maybe we have already incarnated and been the bad guy and have learnt not to do that evil deed again ....and as "one" learns lots of us learn also until maybe one day we will be free from what we class as evil ...now theres a thought! :)

No-one HAS to do an evil deed - this is utter nonsense. I am a rational and forgiving person but this is codswallop. No-one is meant to be murdered, raped or whatever. End of story.

Nvidi4
15-Jun-10, 18:23
Fair enough if thats what you think......Im only the messenger dont shoot me! ;) You just stay in your nice little world of make believe and chase the Portgower Vampires......if thats your take on reality! :cool:

Turquoise
15-Jun-10, 18:37
Fair enough if thats what you think......Im only the messenger dont shoot me! ;) You just stay in your nice little world of make believe and chase the Portgower Vampires......if thats your take on reality! :cool:

Oh dear, Nvidi - I think you're the one needing a reality check...

Nvidi4
15-Jun-10, 19:12
Aye you could be right Turquoise :D I wont go down that road with you though! :)

onecalledk
16-Jun-10, 13:43

completely agree and also agree its a very difficult concept to get your head round but once you do the world does makes sense :)

ducati
16-Jun-10, 13:47

Where did this come from? Are you quoting or did you develop this philosophy yourself?

Nvidi4
16-Jun-10, 14:42
Ducati I havent a clue where it came from :cool:..I would hope my higher self or a power higher than me. Wasnt me that said it ... I am only the messenger and its news to me also ... I am not quoting anyone and its not my philosophy I dont have a philosophy.. I say what comes to me and at the same time I also take in myself what Im saying! :cool:

ducati
16-Jun-10, 15:29
Ducati I havent a clue where it came from ..I would hope my higher self or a power higher than me. Wasnt me that said it ... I am only the messenger and its news to me also ... I am not quoting anyone and its not my philosophy I dont have a philosophy.. I say what comes to me and at the same time I also take in myself what Im saying!

O......K :eek::eek::eek:

crayola
20-Jun-10, 01:57
No-one HAS to do an evil deed - this is utter nonsense. I am a rational and forgiving person but this is codswallop. No-one is meant to be murdered, raped or whatever. End of story.
Utter nonsense and codswallop it is indeed. This is typical of exterior religions imported from simple societies in the East.

Difficult problems often have complex solutions. Childlike belief in someone else's childlike postulates is such a waste of human intelligence.

glaikit
20-Jun-10, 02:36
Where did this come from? Are you quoting or did you develop this philosophy yourself?

Yes, it is from somewhere else and I read a book sometime ago, based around these ideas. I can't remember who wrote it and I'd need to go up in the loft to find it now (which gives you an insight into what I thought of it) but the basic premise is that we are reincarnated and we choose, before birth, which trials and tribulations we are going to go through. Now, I suppose it could be of comfort to think that as a higher being, you chose to go through a certain type of experience in order to develop your soul. However, you may also think, "what a load of old rubbish", which is the side I err on.

And yes I am a spiritual person but I don't believe you sit up on a fluffy pink cloud and choose to be a psychopath so you can get more 'experience points'. Gives you a great excuse to be a total you know what without fear of retribution, doesn't it?

Then again, what do I know?[lol]

Turquoise
20-Jun-10, 16:52
completely agree and also agree its a very difficult concept to get your head round but once you do the world does makes sense :)

I am intrigued, Onecalled K - one minute you're agreeing with Nvidi4 and the next you're putting up the thread about how you think beating children is terrible? These two things seem to contradict one another? :confused

Nvidi4
20-Jun-10, 18:10
Now theres a thing :Razz its you I picked it up from then glaikit ...load of nonsense if you dont mind me saying so.... must have been floating around in the air waves and I picked up on it now I can dispose of it along with all the other rubbish thats being churned out by so-called gurus! :roll: Energy once created cannot be destroyed it can be transformed! O........K :Razz

glaikit
20-Jun-10, 18:22
Now theres a thing :Razz its you I picked it up from then glaikit ...load of nonsense if you dont mind me saying so.... must have been floating around in the air waves and I picked up on it now I can dispose of it along with all the other rubbish thats being churned out by so-called gurus! :roll: Energy once created cannot be destroyed it can be transformed! O........K :Razz

Eh, I don't have a clue what you're saying, which is probably just as well really.

Nvidi4
20-Jun-10, 21:22
You and me both glaikit...:Razz

onecalledk
20-Jun-10, 22:39
I am intrigued, Onecalled K - one minute you're agreeing with Nvidi4 and the next you're putting up the thread about how you think beating children is terrible? These two things seem to contradict one another? :confused

i would disagree that they contradict each other. You miss the point being made by Nvidi4, he is NOT saying that these things are ok, he is explaining why they happen. I am not saying that it is ok, I think that all violence etc that goes on in the world is wrong. That does NOT contradict the reason that it goes on .....

K

Turquoise
20-Jun-10, 23:08
what your doing is what you are meant to be doing...there is no right and wrong! That is the way of the world as it stands ...most of us can thank our lucky stars that were not the bad guy...then again maybe we have already incarnated and been the bad guy and have learnt not to do that evil deed again ....and as "one" learns lots of us learn also until maybe one day we will be free from what we class as evil ...now theres a thought! :)

i would disagree that they contradict each other. You miss the point being made by Nvidi4, he is NOT saying that these things are ok, he is explaining why they happen. I am not saying that it is ok, I think that all violence etc that goes on in the world is wrong. That does NOT contradict the reason that it goes on .....

K

I am not missing the point at all...Nvidi4 says there is no such thing as right or wrong. He/she is saying that we should take our view of right or wrong out of the equation as it's all 'meant to be'. So, therefore you saying that chastising children is wrong, is actually contradicting this theory. According to this theory, the children's souls must 'go through' this pain and suffering too - no?

onecalledk
20-Jun-10, 23:33
I am not missing the point at all...Nvidi4 says there is no such thing as right or wrong. He/she is saying that we should take our view of right or wrong out of the equation as it's all 'meant to be'. So, therefore you saying that chastising children is wrong, is actually contradicting this theory. According to this theory, the children's souls must 'go through' this pain and suffering too - no?

If you quote me please quote me correctly, I did not state chastising children as wrong, I said I had a problem with physical punishment of children. BREAKING a childs bone is wrong. That is not chastising a child it is ASSAULTING said child..... The article I posted was a couple who had broken the bones and beat their children, that is not chastisement.

K

Turquoise
21-Jun-10, 17:57
If you quote me please quote me correctly, I did not state chastising children as wrong, I said I had a problem with physical punishment of children. BREAKING a childs bone is wrong. That is not chastising a child it is ASSAULTING said child..... The article I posted was a couple who had broken the bones and beat their children, that is not chastisement.

K

Okay, OnecalledK, I accept that you did not mean that, but you did say you had a problem with the physical chastisement of chldren. However, I think the point is that ANYONE making reference to Nvidi's theory has to change the parameters and extremity of the theory according to the situation in hand. In your case, you feel that beating children is wrong - I take from this then that you do not wholly agree with Nvidi.

If we view nothing as right nor wrong, as Nvidi suggests, then we take out the things which truly make us human....feelings and compassion - without these things we may as well revert to being animals. We are aware, as humans, of spirituality and this is what it's all about.

Nvidi4
21-Jun-10, 20:05
Ermm excuse me Turquoise its not my theory :roll: I did say that I was only the messenger .. doesnt mean to say I believed what I wrote or said, I only picked it up from somewhere.....:D way too much for me to get my head around to be honest I try to keep my feet on the ground and steer clear of that stuff myself I much prefer simplicity! :Razz