PDA

View Full Version : PG films shown in Thurso school

series2A
05-Jun-10, 09:48
My nephew came home yesterday and said he had being shown "a knights tale" which is rated PG, in science!!
The age range of the children were 12 to 13 surely it's up to the parents wether their children are being shown these films. As my nephew said there was naked people and swearing in it.
I asked what the scientific value of the film was, he said "nothing we are practicing being 2nd years and we won't be in his class next year so the science teacher said you can copy from a book or watch this film.
It's no wonder kids bring home so much homework as they are not doing the work in school.
I asked what "practicing" was, it's so they know where their classes are next year!!!

unicorn
05-Jun-10, 09:59
My daughter watched it and I had no problem with it although she is 15. The kids need some down time and as far as I was aware for her year at least it was all sports this week.

starry
05-Jun-10, 10:04
I would have thought A Knights Tale was ok for that age group to watch, there is a couple of shots of a bare backside but not much swearing as far as I can remember.
It is definitely not a fest of swearing and nudity ;)

I think most schools have been on run down this week, it is the last week before they all move up and things are bound to be bit chaotic.
My sons maths teacher took them all outside for a walk this week as the weather was nice, they have completed this years work and next years work doesn't start till the new timetable kicks in on Monday.

If it has really annoyed you then maybe you should call the school ?

series2A
05-Jun-10, 10:05
They have 6 weeks of down time coming up. Or is it me just getting envious :lol:
But should'nt parents be told that they will be shown films that are not rated for that age group, your duaghter is 15 his age group was 12/13. Surely it's not up to the teachers to decide it's their job to teach and this film had no connetion with science just (as far as I see) teachers skiving off not doing their job

series2A
05-Jun-10, 10:09
I would have thought A Knights Tale was ok for that age group to watch, there is a couple of shots of a bare backside but not much swearing as far as I can remember.
It is definitely not a fest of swearing and nudity ;)

I think most schools have been on run down this week, it is the last week before they all move up and things are bound to be bit chaotic.
My sons maths teacher took them all outside for a walk this week as the weather was nice, they have completed this years work and next years work doesn't start till the new timetable kicks in on Monday.

If it has really annoyed you then maybe you should call the school ?

You could have point. we never got these sort of perks at school we did all our learning in school and I still left as a thicky with no qualifications.

brandy
05-Jun-10, 10:12
and im guessing he dosent play video games or watch telly at home or go on the computer? if it was a dif movie i would prob. agree but a knights tale isnt a bad movie.
theres censorship and then theres that big ole bag of cotton wool.
if the movie had been an 18 with sex and violence i could see that.. but i would let my 7 year old watch a knights tale.
my kids are pretty censored on what they get to see, exspecially ben as he just wouldnt understand a lot of situations that most people just take for granted.
at the same time i try and let them have an understanding of the world around them.
who knows one of the kids might have saw in the movie how not so long ago.. people could not rise above their stations and think about bettering themselves. or it might give them an intrest in history and they may willingly go google some knowledge.. its amazing what a kid can pick up from a movie other than the odd swear word that is prob. mild to what already comes out of their mouths on a daily basis.
just a thought though!

starry
05-Jun-10, 10:14
It is a long long time since I went to school but I do remember the last week was always a bit of a skive, we used to take in games and go walks down the beach.

I also remember on nice days our teachers would just up the class and we would sit outside, I never see that happening now.

unicorn
05-Jun-10, 10:15
My daughter says they got to choose from a range of movies, simpsons batman and others.

series2A
05-Jun-10, 10:29
My daughter says they got to choose from a range of movies, simpsons batman and others.

He said he wasn't given a choice otherwise it would have been the simpsons and I'm afraid it would have been my choice as well :D

Sara Jevo
05-Jun-10, 10:30
I think you've got to credit the teachers with some common sense, when it comes to letting kids watch films.

Not related necessarily to this film, which I've not seen, but it reminded me of the following quote (hope this doesn't offend):

If you suck on a t*t the movie gets an R rating. If you hack the t*t off with an axe it will be PG.

Jack Nicholson

series2A
05-Jun-10, 10:45
I think you've got to credit the teachers with some common sense, when it comes to letting kids watch films.

Not all teachers have common sense, but thats not just aimed at teachers it's in all walks of life, you have to be vigilant on whats going on. If the school want to take responsibility for it then thats fine but when a dodgy teacher does something wrong, will they take responsibilty or will they be saying it's the parents fault.
I have been told something by a child that I was concerned about and would rather ask on here what others thought or what their knowledge of this was. By the replies I'm happy that nothing out of hand is going on. just checking thats all. Unfortunatley if you get in contact with the school you might not be told the truth which with all goverment agencies these days seems to be common practice.

Nacho
05-Jun-10, 10:48
He said he wasn't given a choice otherwise it would have been the simpsons and I'm afraid it would have been my choice as well :D

hopefully he's watching family guy etc behind your backs so that he can chat to his pals about what was on tv last night.

2nd year and still stuck watching the simpsons ?! crikey :~(

i mind when i was at school i used to pretend that i'd watched a comedy prog called Sledgehammer. i wasn't allowed to watch it cos it was on too late.

i'm not advocating lashings of sex, swearing and violence, but a wee dose does no harm.

series2A
05-Jun-10, 10:52
Here whats wrong with Simpsons movie it was hilarious it even had a penis in it.
And as for family guy well thats even funnier. I even have the brain damaged horse episode recorded for when I need a good laugh

Kodiak
05-Jun-10, 11:37
The British Board of Film Classifacation's official view of who can watch a Film with PG Certificate is :-

Unaccompanied children of any age may watch. A ‘PG’ film should not disturb a child aged around eight or older. However, parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset younger or more sensitive children.

Therefore if your Nephew was watching a PG Film at the age of 12 Years then the School was perfectly legal in Showing it and do not require parents permission for children aged 8 or over.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/downloads/pub/Guidelines/BBFC%20Classification%20Guidelines%202009.pdf

http://i48.tinypic.com/538ns0.jpg

Shabbychic
05-Jun-10, 12:48
And as for family guy well thats even funnier. I even have the brain damaged horse episode recorded for when I need a good laugh

So you don't want your nephew watching A Knight's Tale, but are happy with him watching Family Guy? :eek:

crayola
05-Jun-10, 13:00
we did all our learning in school and I still left as a thicky with no qualifications.Ouch! that irony is steaming hot. :lol:

series2A
05-Jun-10, 13:16
The British Board of Film Classifacation's official view of who can watch a Film with PG Certificate is :-

more sensitive children.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/downloads/pub/Guidelines/BBFC%20Classification%20Guidelines%202009.pdf

http://i48.tinypic.com/538ns0.jpg

We live in a society that when something goes wrong its the fault of the schools or societys.
I raised a question that I was concerned what films are being shown that parents have no knowledge of.
Children that a few years ago would have been put into "special schools" are now in mainstream, and even if it only effects less than 1 percent of children parents should know what their children are being exposed to
At home wether it's family guy or the new offering of blood and sand we have the oppotunity to watch with our child and explain what they see or hear. In a class of pubescent children all wanting to be hard in front of their mates this will not be done.
I have no real problem with this film but what will be shown next year or the year after.
This film had no real edcuational value to the science class that these children should have been learning. I'm sure a more educational science film could have been shown that would have been more approriate.
We know our children better than the school OR should.
Better still he could have stayed home and cut the grass, that would have been more use :D

Kodiak
05-Jun-10, 13:22
You first moan on about your 12 Year Old nephew being shown a PG Film without his parents permission. Now when I point out that Parents Permission is not required you complain it was not Scientific enough.

I really think you need to get a Life.

unicorn
05-Jun-10, 13:28
So in this case all the children who have worked hard all year do not deserve some down time because one person thinks their nephew should be working and it's just tough what other parents think.

series2A
05-Jun-10, 13:58
You first moan on about your 12 Year Old nephew being shown a PG Film without his parents permission. Now when I point out that Parents Permission is not required you complain it was not Scientific enough.

I really think you need to get a Life.

More sesitive children. this does not just include those who burst into tears when shouted at but also those who have difficulties in understading what they see or hear.
Just because you have a normal child who is able to stand on his two feet and understand whats going on around him dosnt mean everyone is the same.
If you have seen and had to deal with some of the chilren I have to deal with trying to kill themselves or slice lump off their arms and legs or 12 year olds getting plastered because they want to forget the "bad things" you might understand what I'm trying to get at. I'm not in favour in wrapping every child up in cotton wool but would like to simply know what they are being exposed to. But thats obviously too much to ask

Scarybiscuits03
05-Jun-10, 14:27
More sesitive children. this does not just include those who burst into tears when shouted at but also those who have difficulties in understading what they see or hear.
Just because you have a normal child who is able to stand on his two feet and understand whats going on around him dosnt mean everyone is the same.
If you have seen and had to deal with some of the chilren I have to deal with trying to kill themselves or slice lump off their arms and legs or 12 year olds getting plastered because they want to forget the "bad things" you might understand what I'm trying to get at. I'm not in favour in wrapping every child up in cotton wool but would like to simply know what they are being exposed to. But thats obviously too much to ask

Overreact much? What should the school do? Phone each individual parent and ask their permission? Or would you prefer they showed a more scientific movie - perhaps some biology, the "ins and outs" of how babies are made......no wait, that probably wouldn't be suitable either.
A Knights Tale is NOT a movie that should cause concern, yes there are some shots of a naked guy, but hey, we all have bums, it's not a secret or anything to be ashamed of! AS for the swearing - the kids in high school now and I can assure you they will be hearing and probably saying MUCH worse than anything you can find said in that movie.

P.S I would happily let my daughter watch it and she is much younger than 12

Bobinovich
05-Jun-10, 14:28
Well my 8 and 10 year old love that film and I certainly don't consider it would be a particularly outlandish choice for someone in High School.

Kodiak
05-Jun-10, 15:46
I'm not in favour in wrapping every child up in cotton wool but would like to simply know what they are being exposed to. But thats obviously too much to ask

So you think that you should have been asked if it was alright for the school to show this film, even though you are only the Uncle of one of the boys. What is so special about you?

As I said before you really need to get a Life and let others get on with theirs, as they do not need you telling them what they can or can not do.

Cattach
05-Jun-10, 16:22
My nephew came home yesterday and said he had being shown "a knights tale" which is rated PG, in science!!
The age range of the children were 12 to 13 surely it's up to the parents wether their children are being shown these films. As my nephew said there was naked people and swearing in it.
I asked what the scientific value of the film was, he said "nothing we are practicing being 2nd years and we won't be in his class next year so the science teacher said you can copy from a book or watch this film.
It's no wonder kids bring home so much homework as they are not doing the work in school.
I asked what "practicing" was, it's so they know where their classes are next year!!!

Oh dear, kids run the street, have TVs in their bedrooms, read all sorts of 'indireable literature and someon is worried about their 12 -13 year old watching a PG. Get real.

rogermellie
05-Jun-10, 16:46
So you think that you should have been asked if it was alright for the school to show this film, even though you are only the Uncle of one of the boys. What is so special about you?

why did i assume series was the Auntie not the Uncle ?

am i sexist ?

Kodiak
05-Jun-10, 16:54
why did i assume series was the Auntie not the Uncle ?

am i sexist ?

No I do not think you are sexist, perhaps you are correct and I am sexist. I should have put Aunt/Uncle. :D

brandy
05-Jun-10, 19:45
i agree that certain content should be avoided and yes there are more sensitve children that do not understand certain situations.. but again it comes down to a lick of common sense. there are certain movies even today i cant bear to watch.. one of them is platoon. in university we were required to watch it as part of the class. i couldnt do it.. it physically made me sick watching it. i told the teacher and they were fine with it.. i was exscused to do something else, to this day i cant watch the movie.. even though its my brothers all time fav. to the point he named his son Elias.
if a child is disturbed by something a teacher wont make them watch it. and most teachers exspecailly when they have had a child in their class all year will know when a child is not comfy with something and they wont need to really be singled out.