PDA

View Full Version : John O Groats(oh dear ) In the top 10 again

Amy-Winehouse
04-Jun-10, 08:14
I was watching BBC news earlier & they reported that J O G & Inverness are in the top 10 places for Carbunkle(whatever that is) obviously not good for business.

Anyhow JOG was slated as being a desolate town & Inverness was also slated , did anyone else see this ??

Sorry Groats folk but your village is in need of major investment & in the present climate I dont think it will ever get any.

Margaret M.
04-Jun-10, 14:48
People expect more when they visit and it does disappoint. There was a huge plan for it in the works -- has nothing been done?

Kodiak
04-Jun-10, 15:07
People expect more when they visit and it does disappoint. There was a huge plan for it in the works -- has nothing been done?

Nothing, Zilch, Zero has been done. John O'Groats is just not a happy place at present. It could be a Gold Mine but it need some investment but it seems that although there have been lots of Promises no one seems to be willing to fulfill them. Sad it is.

scorrie
04-Jun-10, 15:15
Carbunkle(whatever that is)

Scorrie's Dictionary.com:-

Carbuncle - Fancy word for "Boil on the arse of humanity"

sandyr1
04-Jun-10, 15:23
Yes, I also was very disappointed with my last visit not too long ago...
I suppose that there is an expectation of something people friendly/ I seem to remember filling in a survey some time ago, and thought that there was going to be improvements. Kinda sad really as even for us who visit Caithness yearly it is the place to visit.
Many Sunday runs with my Mother & Father.....Causewaymire to Thurso, Scrabster Harbour, sometimes The Castle of Mey, John O Groats, Week and hame....
Ohhhhhhhhh Scorrie.....but how true!

Duncansby
04-Jun-10, 15:30
There's been 'plans' in the works for decades; I remember looking forward De Savary's planned swimming pool.

I can never understand though how anyone could possibly be disappointed by the view across the Firth, or the stacks, or the beach.

Invisible
04-Jun-10, 15:33
Scorrie's Dictionary.com:-

Carbuncle - Fancy word for "Boil on the arse of humanity"

there's a few Carbuncle's out on Saturdays in the camps

Margaret M.
04-Jun-10, 15:42
I can never understand though how anyone could possibly be disappointed by the view across the Firth, or the stacks, or the beach.

The view is lovely but there are so many wonderful views all around the coast and much nicer beaches elsewhere in Caithness. The expectation is for something special at John O'Groats and it's just not there. If the hotel were fixed up it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Duncansby
04-Jun-10, 16:04
Margaret I totally agree something really needs to be done about the hotel. However, how do you define 'something special'? It can mean something different to each and every one of us. For instance, I will never tire of the sight of the Islands rising out of the Pentland Firth as you come across the Warth Hill. What we don't need is to overdevelop John O'Groats and turn it into a carbon copy of Land's End. I would like to see Caithness produce being developed further and promotion of the whole county; heritage and environment.

Bazeye
04-Jun-10, 19:39
The view is lovely but there are so many wonderful views all around the coast and much nicer beaches elsewhere in Caithness. The expectation is for something special at John O'Groats and it's just not there. If the hotel were fixed up it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Being able to have a couple of pints would help.

annthracks
04-Jun-10, 21:49
Nothing, Zilch, Zero has been done. John O'Groats is just not a happy place at present. It could be a Gold Mine but it need some investment but it seems that although there have been lots of Promises no one seems to be willing to fulfill them. Sad it is.

I don't know whether investment would work, unless it was investing in dual carriageway all the way from Snecky. We visited Lands End last year as we were in the neighbourhood (Cornwall), and must say we weren't overly impressed. Pastie cafe was nothing to write home about, basically the same as Groats with a Dr Who exhibition and a big derelict helicopter advertising the coastguards.

Bazeye
04-Jun-10, 21:53
Lets face it if JOG and Lands End were anywhere else nobody would go there.

Nacho
04-Jun-10, 22:40
Being able to have a couple of pints would help.

you can have a pint in the JOG cafe/bar, they also sell soup .... from a 'knorr' soup machine planted in the corner !!

seriously, you get a tiny wee cup, work the machine and then pay the price for a normal bowl of soup (or at least they did last year, we've not been back since).

what kind of impression does this give to the visitors ? it says 'we want your cash, but we can't be arsed making soup so here's a machine and help yourself'.

apart from the architecture, some of the shops and cafes just have an air that no-one really cares about service because you won't be back anyway, so pay up and pee off !

i must add though that there are some great wee businesses there, they're not all depressingly awful , like the boat cruise/whitewater rides and the burger van that sells foot long hot dogs

the hot dogs or burgers from that van would go well with your pint baz ;)