PDA

View Full Version : help tv gone

katarina
03-Jun-10, 10:20
I've lost most of the channels on my tv. Instructions say to retune by pressing menu on remote control and taking it from there - but i do not have a button marked menu on my remote! I've pressed about every butter there is but to no avail! I do have free view in case anyone thinks I'm soft in the head!

davem
03-Jun-10, 10:28
Is it on the remote for the freeview? Sometimes if you just turn freeview box off for a minute or more and on again you get an Install screen. Just say yes when it asks you delete whatever I can't remember it said this morning.
Good luck

chaz
03-Jun-10, 10:38
I've lost most of the channels on my tv. Instructions say to retune by pressing menu on remote control and taking it from there - but i do not have a button marked menu on my remote! I've pressed about every butter there is but to no avail! I do have free view in case anyone thinks I'm soft in the head!

I have lost most of mine also,i also have free view and a followed instructions to the letter.Thats with a menu button:eek:

Mr P Cannop
03-Jun-10, 10:43
the tv men are in thurso today do you have a car ??

Green_not_greed
03-Jun-10, 10:52
The digital switchover is in two phases

The first phase is complete - analogue BBC2 is switched off and that band used to broadcast 1 of 4 sets of digital channels. The rest won't follow until the remaining analogue channels are switched off on June 16th.

So you won't get all the digital channels until June 16 - unless you live close to Rumster and can receive the 3 remaining sets of channels which continue to be broadcast on low power.

There's a good link at http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ND197385 which will tell you what's happening and also lists the channels already broadcasting on higher power (PSB1 channel)

Also a link to help with retuning if you've lost the instructions....

GNG

katarina
03-Jun-10, 13:22
thanks to all who replied. My son managed to find out how to retune it. working for now.

Mrs Bucket
03-Jun-10, 15:10
The digital switchover is in two phases

The first phase is complete - analogue BBC2 is switched off and that band used to broadcast 1 of 4 sets of digital channels. The rest won't follow until the remaining analogue channels are switched off on June 16th.

So you won't get all the digital channels until June 16 - unless you live close to Rumster and can receive the 3 remaining sets of channels which continue to be broadcast on low power.

There's a good link at http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ND197385 which will tell you what's happening and also lists the channels already broadcasting on higher power (PSB1 channel)

Also a link to help with retuning if you've lost the instructions....

GNG
Thank you very much that is a great link.

badger
03-Jun-10, 22:31
Didn't have time to do mine yesterday and only just got around to it - oh dear.

TV with built in Freeview was fine even though it didn't match instructions in the paper.

Oldest digibox does not seem to have returned, at least it went through the motions but now I can't get any BBC channels except 4 and Parliament.

Newest digibox, the only one where options matched instructions, seems to have died completely. Won't respond to remote at all. Even tried switching off and on again. It has a clock on standby which changes to the channel no. when on but I can't even get the clock.

So - one down and two to go. Not good.

ywindythesecond
04-Jun-10, 07:26
Didn't have time to do mine yesterday and only just got around to it - oh dear.

TV with built in Freeview was fine even though it didn't match instructions in the paper.

Oldest digibox does not seem to have returned, at least it went through the motions but now I can't get any BBC channels except 4 and Parliament.

Newest digibox, the only one where options matched instructions, seems to have died completely. Won't respond to remote at all. Even tried switching off and on again. It has a clock on standby which changes to the channel no. when on but I can't even get the clock.

So - one down and two to go. Not good.

Check the batteries in the remote.

Moonboots
04-Jun-10, 08:54
Please check my website at www.pr-electrical.com
Goto Switchover FAQ's and it will display what boxes will not work after the switchover.

There are alot of freeview boxes which are not compatible including the old Ondigital/ITV Digital boxes.

Make sure that any freeview boxes that you have already will work successfully after switchover has the "Digital Tick" (This advises that its digital ready and it compatible to work after switchover)

badger
04-Jun-10, 11:24
I have checked the batteries!!

Thanks Moonboots. I phoned the digital helpline this morning and now know that my old box won't work any more so have to get a new one.

As to the other digibox, which is very new, they think it must have a problem so it's going back. Had various suggestions from batteries, turn it off at socket, etc. etc. It's the fact that it has lost the clock as well and is completely unresponsive so - off to Colin Chessor to see if he can sort it.

Am v. cross [disgust] . Do they think we're made of money?

Angela
04-Jun-10, 11:44
I've been having problems too. Not with the TV as such - a newish Samsung with Freeview - but with the Bush hard disc recorder I use. As I record quite a lot and watch later, I've been viewing via the HD recorder all the time and not directly via the TV.

In the last couple of weeks I've retuned the box several times, but almost every day it keeps sticking -either the picture freezes or it gets stuck on one channel or it just won't come on at all........:roll:

If it keeps on like this, I'll have to stop trying to use the recorder and see if the TV works better on its own. I bought the TV last autumn, which was quite a big investment for me, and I really can't afford the cost of a new recorder. :( I also bought it at the same time and it does claim to be a freeview recorder and compatible with everything it needs to be......:confused

Liz
04-Jun-10, 13:17
Sorry to hear you are having problems Badger and Angela.

Angela have you contacted the retailer you bought your recorder from as it not a year old yet so will still be in warranty?

Good luck both!

Moonboots
05-Jun-10, 13:31
Badger - Definately take the box back to get replaced.

Angela - It does seem to suggest that the hard-drive in the recorder is faulty. Do what you suggest yourself.. Watch channels through the TV without the recorder and see if its ok then. If you do not get any picture break-up / freezing then you know its the recorder at fault. However if you are getting break-up/freezing then its down to the signal.. Either aerial maybe moved or a fault in the connection.