PDA

View Full Version : Spiders EEKK!!!!

connieb19
15-Jun-06, 21:44
Is it just my imagination or are the spiders HUGE this year. At my work even the blokes are scared of them!!:eek: Would you blokies on the org admit to being scared or would you act brave and catch it?:cool:

lassieinfife
15-Jun-06, 21:47
Just the thought of them gives me the shudders ^^:roll:^^

Billy Boy
15-Jun-06, 21:48
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/images/2061_2.jpg

Bingobabe
15-Jun-06, 21:50
Nope got to admit im hard lol never been frightened of spiders. Got a chippy enite and there was a beastie in it so it ended up in the bin.

Billy Boy
http://www.microscope-microscope.org/gallery/Kenn/More2/spider-3b.JPG

connieb19
No Mr and Mrs Billy Boy, similar but fatter more like this!!:(
http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/0/01/Tarantula.jpg

Bingobabe
15-Jun-06, 21:51
http://www.microscope-microscope.org/gallery/Kenn/More2/spider-3b.JPGMaybe be frightened of this one!!!!!!

mccaugm
15-Jun-06, 21:52
I am female and am not to phased by spiders but I just can't kill them. I have to let them out in the garden or whatever. Although saying that not keen on the furry ones like tarantulas.

Beasties however....slaters, earwigs...yeuch.....[disgust]

connieb19
15-Jun-06, 21:52
Nope got to admit im hard lol never been frightened of spiders. Got a chippy enite and there was a beastie in it so it ended up in the bin.You should have put it back outside instead of in the bin...:eek:

connieb19
15-Jun-06, 21:53
Is there any reason why they are so big this year?:confused

coastown
15-Jun-06, 21:56
spiders i hate them, they all seem huge to me no matter what time of year it is. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_216.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZNfox000 (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb068_ZNfox000)

Billy Boy
15-Jun-06, 21:59
mrs billy boy woke me up at 2am to move a spider from the bathroom wall, which turned out to be a pattern on the wallpaper, she never even put the light on she was going by the light from the street light shineing through the window:eek: it freaked her so much she could'nt get back to sleep[lol]

Billy Boy
15-Jun-06, 22:03
You should have put it back outside instead of in the bin...:eek:

when i not around mrs billy sucks them up the hover lol( what a shame):(

George Brims
15-Jun-06, 22:54
You folks are lucky you're still in Caithness. Here in California we get tarantulas, not as big as the pet shop ones but up to 3 inches tip to tip. Worse still we get Black Widows. I killed one in my garage last night. Other types get a free pass but those I step on.

Bingobabe
15-Jun-06, 23:01
You should have put it back outside instead of in the bin...:eek:Yeah i should of but im to lazy.lol

Bobinovich
15-Jun-06, 23:09
Yep I'll be a man and admit to being a arachnophobe! Mrs Bob deals with them - pathetic, eh!. However she hates slaters so I'll happily take care of those pests. I think it's something to do with speed - spiders can just move too darned fast :lol:

changilass
15-Jun-06, 23:25
Yep I'll be a man and admit to being a arachnophobe! Mrs Bob deals with them - pathetic, eh!. However she hates slaters so I'll happily take care of those pests. I think it's something to do with speed - spiders can just move too darned fast :lol:

Big softie, will have to bring you a few little pressies next time I'm round. lol

Kenn
16-Jun-06, 00:08
Sorry folks I've never been able to understand the fear of spiders. They are amazing with all their various means for trapping those insects that would threaten our very existance.
I would never kill one, will gently lift it and put is back in the garden where it belongs.
I am dazzled by the webs they weave especially in Autumn when they are glazed with dew and look like strings of expensive gems.
I have been lead to believe that any sort of phobia is handed to us by our parents and can only say that fortunately mine were not of the sort that sought to give me a fear of the natural world, only to teach me a healthy respect for it.

Tiger Jones
16-Jun-06, 00:33
I love spiders. Fascinating creatures and a huge diversity of types.

I accidentally killed a tiny one a few weeks ago and I'm still feeling bad about it :(

Chillie
16-Jun-06, 01:09
Nope not scared of our 8 legged friends I just pick them up and put them outside, to your point connie I have noticed they are a wee bity bigger don't know why though.:roll:

young_fishin_neep
16-Jun-06, 11:46
i dont like them they are creepy crawlys lol but im not scared of them i will get a glass and peice of paper an put it outside unless its in the bath then it goes back down the drain its came from!

kaz xx

Tiger Jones
16-Jun-06, 12:07
i dont like them they are creepy crawlys lol but im not scared of them i will get a glass and peice of paper an put it outside unless its in the bath then it goes back down the drain its came from!

kaz xx Hi there. Spiders don't/can't actually come up the drains especially where there's modern plumbing with sediment traps. They get into the bath or sink because they are looking for a drink. Once in, of course, they find it practically impossible to climb out again unless some friendly human gives them a hand ;)

footie chick
16-Jun-06, 12:10
I am dazzled by the webs they weave especially in Autumn when they are glazed with dew and look like strings of expensive gems.

Have to agreee webs are totally amazing love watching programs where you can see them being made.

MGB1979
16-Jun-06, 12:54
Camel spiders are the worst, our boys in Iraq have to contend with these things on a daily basis.

pic (http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6128/camelspider9tn.jpg)

Some facts:

* Camel spiders can grow to be as large as dinner plates.

* Camel spiders can traverse desert sand at speeds up to 25 MPH, making screaming noises as they run.

* Camel spiders can jump several feet in the air.

* Camel spiders eat the stomachs of camels and lay their eggs there, hence the name "camel spider."

* Camel spiders are venomous, and their venom contains a powerful anesthetic that numbs their victims (thus allowing them to gnaw away at living, immobilized animals without being noticed). U.S. soldiers have been attacked by camel spiders at night but remained completely unaware of their plight until they awakened in the morning to find chunks of their flesh missing.

unicorn
16-Jun-06, 13:00
awwwwwwww no, that is awful!!! well it puts the spiders in my shed into context lol.

Camel spiders are the worst, our boys in Iraq have to contend with these things on a daily basis.

Some facts:

* Camel spiders can traverse desert sand at speeds up to 25 MPH, making screaming noises as they run.

* Camel spiders eat the stomachs of camels and lay their eggs there, hence the name "camel spider."

* Camel spiders are venomous, and their venom contains a powerful anesthetic that numbs their victims (thus allowing them to gnaw away at living, immobilized animals without being noticed). U.S. soldiers have been attacked by camel spiders at night but remained completely unaware of their plight until they awakened in the morning to find chunks of their flesh missing.

young_fishin_neep
16-Jun-06, 13:06
Hi there. Spiders don't/can't actually come up the drains especially where there's modern plumbing with sediment traps. They get into the bath or sink because they are looking for a drink. Once in, of course, they find it practically impossible to climb out again unless some friendly human gives them a hand ;)

we have quite old system though, living on a hill in an old cottage, if they are in the bath they get the drink they wanted anyway !!

Some facts:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW now i would be scared of that anything biger than 5 cms and im screamng lol

kaz xx

Tiger Jones
16-Jun-06, 13:12
we have quite old system though, living on a hill in an old cottage

kaz xxFairy nuff :)

angela5
16-Jun-06, 13:22
I don't like spiders very much, they move too fast.http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/spider-body.gif

George Brims
16-Jun-06, 17:02
Sorry MGB, you've fallen for an urban legend. These stories about camel spiders have been going around since the first Gulf War. See the following link for information

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

In fact any time you're unsure about a story, especially the multiply forwarded ones that come in your email, it is as well to check out snopes.com. It's a great site.

Lizz I agree about "live and let live" to a certain extent, but the Black Widows are still getting the boot! They are poisonous.

htwood
16-Jun-06, 17:19
Spiders are huge this year in northern california too. Seems like the very wet springtime made for a large hatch of mosquitos and other flying bugs, cuz the webs are just full of good food for spiders. Nutrition = big spiders. I let them stay in the upper corners of the house, preferring spiders over mosquitos.

Did kill two last week by accident in the middle of the night, one I stepped on, and the other I smashed against my cheek. Didn't like that one very much!

MGB1979
16-Jun-06, 18:51
Sorry MGB, you've fallen for an urban legend. These stories about camel spiders have been going around since the first Gulf War. See the following link for information

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

In fact any time you're unsure about a story, especially the multiply forwarded ones that come in your email, it is as well to check out snopes.com. It's a great site.

Lizz I agree about "live and let live" to a certain extent, but the Black Widows are still getting the boot! They are poisonous.
Aye I kent it was nothing but a legend, but it's a good one so there's no harm in keeping it going. :Razz

I got the image and text from snopes. har har

Yvonne
16-Jun-06, 20:28
Have noticed more and larger spiders this year.... But they generally tend to appear in summer anyway.
I am the official 'spider catcher' in our home. ;) Do not need to be asked to remove the spid, as I'm alerted by a loud shriek and eeeeeeeeek!!!! Everyone but me is absolutely petrified to remove offending arachnids in this household!! However I do look after their interests by placing them safely outside and nowhere near our moggies and doggies!
Must admit I do check over my bananas, just in case, for the more dangerous variety.... can't be too careful now!!!!!! Hahaha [lol]

footie chick
16-Jun-06, 20:32
Have to be careful in my house youngest likes to eat them:eek:

unicorn
16-Jun-06, 20:35
My cat played with one for about 5 minutes today until hubby removed it, Kitty was not chuffed!!

obiron
16-Jun-06, 20:53
Have to be careful in my house youngest likes to eat them:eek:

yuk makes me glad mine just eats bogies.

dont like spiders but just let them get on with there business.

Billy Boy
16-Jun-06, 21:01
[quote=obiron]yuk makes me glad mine just eats bogies.

is that cedric or the kid's lol:eek:

obiron
16-Jun-06, 21:04
just oor youngest cedric picks and flicks.

Billy Boy
16-Jun-06, 21:10

oooh you are awful, lol[lol] [lol]

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:14

Thats just messy. Far better to feed them to the dog.

obiron
16-Jun-06, 21:15
Thats just messy. Far better to feed them to the dog.

would if i had one.

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:17
Well save them up in an old jam jar for me. My dogs always grateful for a treat.

connieb19
16-Jun-06, 21:17
would if i had one.I'll let you borrow my one, she likes a good feed..lol:eek:

connieb19
16-Jun-06, 21:18
Well save them up in an old jam jar for me. My dogs always grateful for a treat.That would make nice Christmas presents..:eek:

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:19
Are you after a job presenting on Blue Peter?

connieb19
16-Jun-06, 21:22
Are you after a job presenting on Blue Peter?I have thought about it. I've saved all my toiet roll tubes and fairy liquid bottles and I need to get rid of them before I have to pay to get my rubbish uplifted..Any suggestions welcome!!:Razz

Ricco
16-Jun-06, 21:23
Me - I hate 'em. Make my skin crawl. Its this time of year when the big blighters (I would prefer to say something else but I am not sure of the 'suspension alarms') come indoors. For Christmas I was given a spray bottle of something that spiders are not supposed to like - haven't tried it yet so I'll keep you posted when I do. You spray it around the places where they are likely to get in.

connieb19
16-Jun-06, 21:25
Me - I hate 'em. Make my skin crawl. Its this time of year when the big blighters (I would prefer to say something else but I am not sure of the 'suspension alarms') come indoors. For Christmas I was given a spray bottle of something that spiders are not supposed to like - haven't tried it yet so I'll keep you posted when I do. You spray it around the places where they are likely to get in.That must be the one of the strangest Christmas presents ever, along with the jars of boggies. :confused Does the spray work?

Ricco
16-Jun-06, 21:27
That must be the one of the strangest Christmas presents ever, along with the jars of boggies. :confused Does the spray work?

Dunno, yet. Looks suspiciously like Mr Muscle orange cleaner to me. I'll try it in the shed and garage - they always have spiders in them.

teuchter
16-Jun-06, 21:28
[quote=connieb19]I have thought about it. I've saved all my toiet roll tubes and fairy liquid bottles and I need to get rid of them before I have to pay to get my rubbish uplifted..Any suggestions welcome!!:Razz[
/quote]

Was it not always tradition that the washing up bottle was made into a rocket? Okay, we turn all those bottles you have into rockets. Then we place them very near the posterior of all the local councillors, and threaten to set them aflame unless they sort out the idea of taxing us on collecting our rubbish. As for the loo rolls i have no idea. Several more drinks and im bound to come up with a master plan tho.

Ricco
18-Jun-06, 21:38
Connieb...

I have tried out that spider stuff today - they ran right out the garage door! It smells of oil of cloves and the label says it contains clover leaf oil and natural chestnut extract. It is called No More Spiders and is marketed by 151 Products Ltd, Manchester. Perhaps Landmarker can get you some. :D

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 21:45
Connieb...

I have tried out that spider stuff today - they ran right out the garage door! It smells of oil of cloves and the label says it contains clover leaf oil and natural chestnut extract. It is called No More Spiders and is marketed by 151 Products Ltd, Manchester. Perhaps Landmarker can get you some. :DThanks Ricco, I've had a look on Ebay and they have it. I'll get a couple of cans ordered. Hopefully no more spiders for me.:)

Chillie
19-Jun-06, 10:46
Connie, what a shame on the poor spiders no need to kill them just pick them up and throw them outside, i'd laugh if you came back as a spider in your next life.:lol:

angela5
19-Jun-06, 11:38
Connie, what a shame on the poor spiders no need to kill them just pick them up and throw them outside, i'd laugh if you came back as a spider in your next life.:lol:

What would be funnier still chillie is if you came back as a fly and got caught in connie's web.:lol:

candyfloss
19-Jun-06, 13:02
Dont mind spiders one little bit, but........forkie tails YUK!!!:eek: