PDA

View Full Version : Why?

highland red
02-Jun-10, 17:32
Why have the Sparrows that come into our garden, suddenly decided to feed on peanuts incessantly: and Niger seed?

They appear to have a few young uns and are paying
them amazing attention, so I assumed they were just making the best of it.

Also: we have filled one feeder with Niger seed and the other with thistle seed ( where before they were both Niger seed).

The Goldfinches still go for the Niger seed and the Greenfinches love the Thistle seed. Although the Green Finches have to bend their backs somewhat, they appear to think that it's worth it.

P.S. could anyone help me in the wisdom of purchasing a "bird bath"?

We're only thinking about it as some of the birds on our bird table appear to want to immerse themselves in the tiny water pots on our table!

All the best.
HR

highland red
03-Jun-10, 21:25
As above.:confused

Liz
08-Jun-10, 13:45
Not really sure why the sparrows have changed their diet. Maybe they fancy a change?:D

Yes I would definitely recommend you get a birdbath. The birds use this to bathe themselves and to have a drink.

dafi
08-Jun-10, 15:23
Its good to have water on hand. In the dry times its a certain draw. Birds passing over will see the flash of water below and come down to your garden. Its allways a bonus to have a bird bath along with a feeding station. Just keep the water fresh and have it resonably near some cover so they can quickly retreat to safety and you wont go far wrong. UYou should find it an asset to your garden bird watching!!

catherine nicol
09-Jul-10, 13:09
Happened upon your post just now and was surprised/delighted to read about the sparrows feeding on nyger seeds as my garden regulars have started doing that this week. Never seen them near the nyger seed feeder before that.

My sparrows turn to the peanuts once the seed feeders are finished.

For the last 2 weeks I have filled the following feeders and been amazed at how quickly they have emptied, usually lasts about a week but empty within 24hrs at the moment, costing a fortune to keep topped up but worth it as I love watching the birds in the garden, they are so amusing.

5 fat balls in one feeder
3 large seed feeders
2 large peanut feeders
1 nyger feeder

The birds don't seem at all interested in fruit at the moment.

Watching the birds submerging in the bird bath makes me chuckle, they look round constantly as if to see if anyone is watching them indulging themselves and I keep picturing someone going for a skiiny dip and worried they'll get caught with no clothes on !!