PDA

View Full Version : Decking

wicker8
02-Jun-10, 10:58
hi i was thinking of putting decking in my garden any one ever had a good/bad word about it thanks

ducati
02-Jun-10, 11:14
hi i was thinking of putting decking in my garden any one ever had a good/bad word about it thanks

Very slippery when wet. But looks great and you don't have to mow it :lol:

mrlennie
02-Jun-10, 11:45
You need expansion joints in between the wood so the wood can...expand but not big enough that someone wearing heels could slip through. I think it's 6mm.

DeHaviLand
02-Jun-10, 11:48
So you need decking do you? I think theres a few orgers who need decking before you ;)

wicker8
02-Jun-10, 13:08
Very slippery when wet. But looks great and you don't have to mow it :lol:hi ducati thanks and so true no mowing bliss

wicker8
02-Jun-10, 13:11
You need expansion joints in between the wood so the wood can...expand but not big enough that someone wearing heels could slip through. I think it's 6mm.
oh right cheers mr lennie i will take that in to account

wicker8
02-Jun-10, 13:12
:D
So you need decking do you? I think theres a few orgers who need decking before you ;)good point

Even Chance
02-Jun-10, 13:22
I'd say go for it.
My wife wants our garden done, and it will indeed eliminate more of the unwanted grass. (unwanted to a hayfever sufferer anyway!)

Just remember to treat it with wood preserver every year and it will be just fine for many years to come.

scotsboy
02-Jun-10, 13:27
Surely you will have to do an EIA before installing decking?

Scarybiscuits03
02-Jun-10, 17:58
I love decking, had one in our last house and just finished building one for this house. I don't find is slippery when wet, usually it comes double sided, one has even grooves and I always go with the other side as it looks less common.
My suggestion would be if you have it raised and require handrails then it can become very expensive to use the spindles. Instead we have put in posts and spanned them with the decking itself and finished it with a length of decking on top as this can double as somewhere to sit or somewhere to set your drink. I find this looks more modern than the traditional decking styles.
Good Luck!

wicker8
03-Jun-10, 17:52
thanks every body cheers :Razz

thickrodney
03-Jun-10, 21:51
if it is north facing you will need to clean it and re apply decking OIL every year.

dont use decking stain.