PDA

View Full Version : Culinary advice required

JAWS
15-Jun-06, 14:00
I have heard that Pigeon Pie is very tasty but am reluctant to try it. However, I do fancy trying Roast Jackdaw and need advice on the best method to use.

Seriously, I have a small problem with Jackneds. I have been putting out the plastic tube type bird feeders. As soon as I turn my back for any length of time the Jackdaws descend like the Hordes of Attilla the Hun employing a scorched earth campaign.
This happens especially around dawn but also at other times and leaves nothing for the smaller birds and their young.

I’ve moved things around and tried to find places inaccessible to the Jackneds but they are faster than me at it.
Short of sitting there with a large baseball bat has anybody any solutions for the sake of the poor little birdies?

Kenn
16-Jun-06, 00:37
I would suggest that you use the same recipe as for Rook Pie! However these birds are well documented for their more than gamey taste.
Have you checked your feeders?
We have ones here that are not accesible by the larger birds.

JAWS
16-Jun-06, 02:06
I've tried them on top of poles in the open, (the are the ones designed either to hang or sit on top of a 1" pole), they cling half on to the pole and half on the hole in the feeder and double themselves up better than any gymnast to get the seed. Bushes, of course, make them think they are in Seventh Heaven, even when I've tried placing the feeders where the branches are too thin to take the thugs weight, and I might as well have invited them to a banquet.

They don't bother with the peanut feeder very much because I suspect picking bits off through the mesh is not worth the effort when thy have an easier alternative.
I wouldn't mind the odd one, but these come mob handed. I'm just glad they haven't see Hitchcock's The Birds or I'd be frightened to open the door. :lol:

I've even found the cap that doesn't fasten down on one feeder removed so they could get in the opening at the top.

The feeders I use are the standard clear plastic tube type with the half inch sized holes. I took the "T" shaped perches off to make it harder to cling on but that didn't make the slightest difference.

I've even considered putting a sign up saying "No Jackdaws" but they would probably just ignore it. :roll:

JAWS
22-Jun-06, 06:30
The problem seems to have been solved, at least so far. The solution is not pretty but it seems to be working.

Take one nasty cheapo plastic table, place feeders on same. Salvage one old plastic washing basket, which has rather large square holes, and invert over said feeders. Adjust holes to enable small birds to gain access whilst taking care to ensure that larger birds are kept out.

Result? Happy little birdies stuffing their tiny little bellies full to bursting.

I am now looking for a Bird Psychologist to help treat large numbers of jackdaws and pigeons suffering from the mental trauma of having to watch small birds feeding right under their noses without being able to scavenge even a single seed.

catherine nicol
24-Jun-06, 13:38
The problem seems to have been solved, at least so far. The solution is not pretty but it seems to be working.

Take one nasty cheapo plastic table, place feeders on same. Salvage one old plastic washing basket, which has rather large square holes, and invert over said feeders. Adjust holes to enable small birds to gain access whilst taking care to ensure that larger birds are kept out.

Result? Happy little birdies stuffing their tiny little bellies full to bursting.

I am now looking for a Bird Psychologist to help treat large numbers of jackdaws and pigeons suffering from the mental trauma of having to watch small birds feeding right under their noses without being able to scavenge even a single seed.

Thanks for this tip - washing basket shop here I come !

As I speak there are 8 of the little beggars stealing the fat balls and suet blocks while some 50+ house sparrows look on.

My neighbours must think me mad, I am popping in and out of the house like my knicker elastic is stuck in the door handle !!! ha ha ha

Alternative is to stand by patio doors and flap arms back and forth to scare them off but I look demented doing this !

I am sick of the jackdaws, rooks, crows and herring gulls that descend in large numbers round our garden, and I'm quite sure my neighbours are too.

I would love to cover my garden with steel mesh roof so that only little birds could get through to the ground but too expensive......excellent solution though. If green mesh was available that would def be worth considering doing, it wouldn't look so much like a cage then.

Thanks again

[lol]

Kenn
24-Jun-06, 23:37
Good one Jaws, well done that man.
I find that a bird tray works well for the larger birds and if filled with enough interesting things, like stale cake,cereals and fruit the starlings,doves etc do not attempt to attack the feeders.
Fortunately I don't get jackdaws or seagulls in the garden but would like to see the back of "The Maggot" family who have wreeked havoc here this summer..

RIGHT where's that recipe for "Maggoty Pie?"

JAWS
25-Jun-06, 05:10
Oh dear, Catherine I know how you feel. I do exactly the same with my arms but I am fortunate in not being overlooked by neighbours.
I have an abiding hatred of wasps which is brought on by the fact that they think I am the most wonderful thing on earth and will follow me anywhere. Where I used to live we had lots of the pests. I used to do an extremely good version of the Dance of the Seven Wasps, arms legs, head, in fact the whole body would flap, leap, gyrate and spin. Suddenly I would become aware that I had attracted an audience of neighbours who, because of their size, were completely unable to see the wasps.
It's surprising how little it takes to cause a belief that you are completely deranged.

LIZZ, fortunately I don't get pestered by Maggots or Seagulls. I have a small pond/large puddle, and get the odd duck wandering in. A couple of years ago I made the mistake of throwing some bread on the pond to encourage the ducks. What a mistake, I had never realised that Gulls could spot a thumb-nail sized piece of bread from two miles away. In no time at all I was swamped with Seagulls. I stopped putting bread on the pond, they hung around in hope for a time but eventually gave up.
I now used mixed grain which keeps the Ducks happy but not the Gulls.

I might just try the bread and cake routine on the hooligans and see if it distracts them.